Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

pakman wrote: »
    Front 9 I had a respectable 18 pts. Then I completely collapsed. 3 pts on the back 9. 7 scratches.

The driver is just completely unreliable and it started affecting confidence with every club in the bag.

I was parked beside a skip and the clubs nearly went in there instead of the boot.

Worst thing was, one of my playing partners wanted to hit a ball of the first just to figure something out at the end of the round. I joined him and hit a dead straight, super long drive right down the middle. I hate this game!

@charlieIRL will be happy to see this kinda story :) nothing worse when you've no idea what's gone wrong!!

I didn't get out this weekend so no good/bad/indifferent round to report... was booked in for 9am Sunday. Had a 60th bday to attend sat night on my wife's side... thought it'd be a nice quiet night. didn't think i'd be out til 2.30am, woke up at 7.45, had a shower & realised I wasn't in any fit state to drive so removed myself off the time sheet... some one no doubt cursing the late removal but better that than get behind the wheel still a bit drunk. just one of those nights that came out of no where :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Pakman, i can sympathise with you completely. Played captains prize on saturday and had an absolute disastrous round. 105 less 20 for 85 nett. Done Deal or adverts was seriously in my mind coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

38 points off the back tees with a scratch. Everything was solid except consistency off the tee and I left a few out there, but very happy to get another cut another and now well below my handicap target set at the beginning of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pakman wrote: »
    I was parked beside a skip and the clubs nearly went in there instead of the boot.

I went to throw my clubs in a skip last night but as usual lately I hooked them left into the trees.

Got a lesson instead...2 mins in later problem solved...stoopid game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Pure unadulterated scutter on the way out yesterday. Got it to -3 for back 9 and then 3 putt bogey on the easiest hole on course so -2 B9 (+7 front 9!). One round in a month doesn't help I suppose...

• Advertisement

31 pts yesterday, boned a few chips... pulled a few putts... & had a brain fart on six :) (par 3, on in 1... putted to 3 feet, putted past by 3 feet, missed again & picked up... realised walking away a 5 woulda got me a point)

Played with 2 gents & had a very enjoyable round!

Birdies: 0
    Pars: 7
    Bogeys: 9
    Doubles: 0
    Scratches: 2

GIR: 9

Out: 13 pts In: 18 pts

Pros: surprised I'd 7 pars after playing pretty poor

Cons: putting was pretty bad all day. started very slow & did a few silly things in the 1st 6 holes (1: boned a chip through the green from 80 yards, 2: topped an iron off the tee, 4: pulled a drive into gorse (3off tee), 6... see 1st line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭a post punk

23 points in the Presidents Prize on Saturday. Had been to the range Friday night practing my irons as that is what kills me ..... went out Saturday confident enough and ended up skying my drives or flopping them off the tee which is normally fairly solid! The course was set up not too long but the pins were in tough positions so 6 scratches with 4 on the front 9 very frustrating......licking the wounds today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

69 Nett off 11. 3 greens in regulation, didn't hit a single iron well. Chipped and scrambled wonderfully, its a funny game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

32 points so another .1 back.

Three holes with terrible putts (5, 7, 9) so left a lot of points out there. 9th had a terrible chip.

What annoyed me more was the good putts I hit that lipped out/hung on the lip (3, 11, 13, 14, 17, 18). Probably the quantity that annoyed me. 14 and 18 were for birdies, 3 for par was after having to hack out of rough about 30 yards, 13 was for par after taking unplayable.

In fairness, the game was inconsistent. First few holes I was pushing everything so left bit too much to do. Only one scratch though, a nice change!

Hopefully I'll have some luck next week and get 500 for it!

Mushy wrote: »

Three holes with terrible putts (5, 7, 9) so left a lot of points out there. 9th had a terrible chip.

What annoyed me more was the good putts I hit that lipped out/hung on the lip (3, 11, 13, 14, 17, 18). Probably the quantity that annoyed me. 14 and 18 were for birdies, 3 for par was after having to hack out of rough about 30 yards, 13 was for par after taking unplayable.

In fairness, the game was inconsistent. First few holes I was pushing everything so left bit too much to do. Only one scratch though, a nice change!

feck the 500... go for the car on the 10th ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another week, another buffer missed by 1. I've scored 1 point/shot below buffer more times this year than any other result. It's getting a bit infuriating to be honest.

On the whole drove the ball pretty well. Hit one drive badly offline all day, and it cost be a lost ball. Hit it into some trees, and never found it at all. Made a birdie with my second ball to make a bogey & save a point on the hole, so it was a good bounce-back in reality.

Putted better than I had been for the last few weeks, which is a positive, but generally didn't scramble very well & hit a few fat irons. Played 2 holes poorly, which was the difference at the end of the round.

Needed a Par-birdie combo to make buffer over the last 2 holes & finished Bogey-Birdie. Was very happy with the birdie on the last, as I hit 3 very good shots & rolled in a nice putt.

33 Points
    60% FIR
    22% GIR
    14% Scrambling
    28 Putts (no 3 putts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

38pts yesterday in one of our annual majors.
    Bittersweet as if I could have even just bogeyed the two par threes on the back nine I'd have finished with 41 which would have got my name on the trophy :D
    Taking out my scores for the four par 3's on the course I was level par for the other 14 holes. Hopefully, this gives me something clear I can work on moving forwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

+8 off 9 yesterday in first round since injury layoff. started really well was +3 for 9 but going +4 for the final 4 holes including a dreadful 4 putt on 17 cost me a placing in the medal comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Ballyliffin glashedy in the anniversary open. Back tees except for the 4th hole.

28 points off 6. +14

Was +1 through 6 but struggled on a few of the holes into the breeze, especially the 9th. Highlights were an up and down on 13 (well below the green on left hand side, pitch over bunker to a few feet) and a birdie on 6th after a nice 5 iron approach.

Not sure what the CSS was but the winner had 31 points. Great value at €40.

feck the 500... go for the car on the 10th ;)

Can't afford more insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

33 points off 16 yesterday from chanpionship tees.
    CSS was 35 so was just in buffer zone and avoided a 0.1 back.
    • 7 pars
    • 7 bogeys
    • 4 scratches

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Played the open singles at Ballyneety today and FINALLY managed to get to 30 points 😠Had four scratches as well so delighted with this. All the scratches were because of bad driving out of bounds or into water. Putting and chipping very good for me today.

There's surely a 36 in me before the end of the year - I promised myself I would buy a new set of irons when I manage that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

A net 77 off the white tees on Saturday. Left a few out there but finished virtually half way up the leaderboard so not too disappointed. Room to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

horribly, played Druids Glen on Friday and had 29 points off 18.
    it's a course that really demands thinking on all holes.
    i played the par 3's well with 2 par's on 8 and 17 (delighted by 17) and 4's on the others.
    but i had way to many 2\3 puts

still i bloody well loved playing in that sunshine there.
    they had a GUI 4 ball deal for €50 each which is a steal imho

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Don't get all the panic from golfers when they get .1 back!!

Have played with low men all summer and they do be doing their nut if they are outside buffer!! Fair enough I get that their aim is to go as low as they can go, but to me Id like to have a good chance of winning comps aswell.

• Advertisement

kopkidda wrote: »

Have played with low men all summer and they do be doing their nut if they are outside buffer!! Fair enough I get that their aim is to go as low as they can go, but to me Id like to have a good chance of winning comps aswell.
    For some people, me anyway, it's all about getting lower. I couldn't care less about winning a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

90 Stokes for 30 points off 12 on Sunday.

It's been awful year since I changed club at the start of the year. Saturday was just the second time I've broken 30 points this year. Narrow fairways definitively don't suit me. I've been improving slightly the last few rounds but it's been a slog.

I bought new irons in January which seem to be travelling 20 yards further but I haven't accounted for that in my game and I'm regularly over hitting greens which I'm going to try sort out.

6 pars
    7 bogies
    4 doubles
    1 triple

43% FIR
    39% GIR

37 putts

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

OEP wrote: »
    For some people, me anyway, it's all about getting lower. I couldn't care less about winning a competition.

Ye, understand that, I'm not really pushed about my handicap, just want to get back to enjoying my golf and not caring about getting lower etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ye, understand that, I'm not really pushed about my handicap, just want to get back to enjoying my golf and not caring about getting lower etc....

at the lower echelons it can mean getting into a prestigious comp or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm not really sure I understand the point you're making. Are you saying that you'd rather have a higher handicap than you're capable of playing to so that you can win some competitions (not making an accusation here, that's just how it reads to me, so apologies if I'm mis-reading)?

The way I see it, I'd rather keep aiming as low as possible. I'd rather a year where I shot 4 times in the 36-40 points region & didn't have a single win, then have 1 round of 45 points & win that comp but shoot outside of buffer scores for the rest of the year

I'm not really sure I understand the point you're making. Are you saying that you'd rather have a higher handicap than you're capable of playing to so that you can win some competitions (not making an accusation here, that's just how it reads to me, so apologies if I'm mis-reading)?

The way I see it, I'd rather keep aiming as low as possible. I'd rather a year where I shot 4 times in the 36-40 points region & didn't have a single win, then have 1 round of 45 points & win that comp but shoot outside of buffer scores for the rest of the year

I had a post written yesterday trying to ask that question but couldn't phrase it w/o sounding like a d*ck. you put it in a nice way!

my 2cents, try get as low as my ability will allow & if I finish in the prizes in doing so that'd be great but I'm mainly trying to get the handicap down. for me there's more of a pride thing to a lower handicap than a voucher to the shop in a weekly comp.

No not at all, I'm just not that pushed at present with my playing handicap.
    Have had a nightmare of a summer golf wise and just want to get back playing happy golf without the added stress of getting my handicap down.

For me it's the competitive edge of being the best golfer I guess. You can win a competition off 18 but you're far from the best golfer in the competition. The competition for me is to be the best golfer (I am a long, long way off this but my target is to get as low as possible). 
    That's what's great about golf though, it suits both types of players and means those that are high handicaps can still play in the same competitions as those off scratch.

Golf is a stupid game made to annoy people like me. 34 points, so will likely miss out on getting through to tomorrow. And all cos of my stupid 5 iron, or more accurately, how I can't hit my 5 iron.

Prep for the round was so poor. Email there when woke up that playing partner bailed, so had to move to slot 40 minutes later. Then got delayed paying, and another lads partners bailed so my 3 ball was split into two 2 balls. No swings or putts before the round.

For the most part though, very good consistent golf in fairly horrible conditions. Putting and chipping was mostly very good, made the most of bad situations bar the 2 shots mentioned above. Got some poor lies which hampered a few shots but no major setbacks from them.

• Advertisement

Golf is a stupid game made to annoy people like me. 34 points, so will likely miss out on getting through to tomorrow. And all cos of my stupid 5 iron, or more accurately, how I can't hit my 5 iron.

Prep for the round was so poor. Email there when woke up that playing partner bailed, so had to move to slot 40 minutes later. Then got delayed paying, and another lads partners bailed so my 3 ball was split into two 2 balls. No swings or putts before the round.

For the most part though, very good consistent golf in fairly horrible conditions. Putting and chipping was mostly very good, made the most of bad situations bar the 2 shots mentioned above. Got some poor lies which hampered a few shots but no major setbacks from them.

I reckon you'll get through to tomorrow... fingers crossed for you. was hard out there today! I shot 32 so no chance for me...20 front 9 & thought I was well on my way :) turns out I was wrong!

GL if you do get out tomorrow ;)

Advertisement