Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

kieran. wrote: »
    Its the CSS for the competition that matters really but assuming the CCS matched the CSS your scores equate to the following;
    40=-1
    41=-2
    41=-3
    You would not have a marker for the ESR yet but as you said you got cut 2.6 shots the CSS was eith much lower that the SSS or you may have got a general play adjustment, can you post a screen shot of your golfnet record for the last few rounds?

He already said he got a general play cut of 2 full shots. Why is the CSS so high? short course?

I played in a scratch cup recently, the par was 72 and CSS was 76. Are you saying that is not allowed either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

He already said he got a general play cut of 2 full shots. Why is the CSS so high? short course?

I played in a scratch cup recently, the par was 72 and CSS was 76. Are you saying that is not allowed either?

Didnt see see he got cut 2 shots for general play. In my opinion thats harsh he broke the CSS minimally (1-2 strokes) three times . For him get a similar cut the ESR route he would have had to beat the CSS by 7 shots twice in 4 rounds or 10 shots twice in 10 round to lose 2 full shots.
    Nothing wrong with a low ccs i believe the CSS on headfort new can be 78... off the back sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Played in Medal at the weekend. Scored a net 74 which I was happy with but could have been so much better.

Playing off 20 I started off with Par, Par, +5 , Bogey(index 1), Par. The +5 was on a par three with three bunker shots, duffed chip and a three putt.

Went on to have 6 pars in the round and lots of positives. Might actually try a boards outing now that I am able to hit the ball relatively consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

29 points again. Delighted with that score last time but annoyed with it this time - 3 and 4 putts all over the place. 3 putted from 4 feet on the last and went from a likely 31 to 29 in seconds. 3 putted from a foot a few holes earlier. Devastated :(

Driving has improved hugely but chipping and putting has deteriorated.

Might get an open in somewhere on Wednesday or Thursday this week and will hopefully break the 30 points this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Crazy game for me yesterday. 30 points off 15.

Started so well. Missed a 4ft uphill putt on the first for par, but then hit a lovely 7 iron into the par 3 second. For a moment a hole in one looked on, just skipped past. Actually rolled about 20ft in the end. However was delighted to sink the putt for birdie. Finally collected on twos club!!

Then on three I hit a smashing drive, 70 yards to the pin. Hit a three quarter 52 and left it three feet from the pin. Was tentative over the putt and it slipped out. Was thinking about two in a row instead of just knocking it in.

Really should have been 2 under after 3.

Made a mess of the index 1 4th and scratched it. Really sloppy stuff. Then just missed another birdie on 5, really unlucky.

Another disaster hole on 6 when I tried to play safe hitting 5 iron off the tee, didn't commit and pulled it left into the sh1t. Another scratch. More sloppiness again on 7 for a double. Then on 8 hit a good drive that just ran off the fairway and into an old divot. But committed to the shot, caught it lovely and finished pin high. Then sank a 30ft putt for another birdie 😄

Topped a wedge on the next, an easy par three. Chip on to green was short and walked off with a bogey. Two birds, two scratches and 18 points. Crazy!

Second nine was more of the same, without the birdies 😂

Overall lots of positives. Had the two birdies and a few other decent opportunities. When I was playing well, it was sensational, when off it was awful!

A good score is coming... I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Was out in corballis on sunday morning..

Disaster.

Started on the 13th par 3 and parred it after leaving about a 15ft uphill putt short.

Waited 20 mins to tee off on the 14th. Pulled second shot to the right in what i think was an old bunker. Brutal lie but managed to get it out and just off the back of the green on the fringe. Flew a putt at the pin and hit the flagstick and left about 10ft which i again left short

Another wait of about 15 mins for the 15th par 4 to tee off decent drive , made a total mess of a four iron and sliced it right and lost it. Dropped. Pitxhed onto green and two putted.

Patience was waning after only 3 holes with another long wait to tee off

16 par 4 was another ok drive but another pull to the right and into bunker. Duffed a couple of chips and scratched hole.

17 par 3 with a tricky green played safe to the right just off green..chipped on and lipped out from about 6 feet for another par.

18 we had already decided to go home so wasnt interested in playing hole and after another long wait pulled tee shot left and packed up my stuff and just walked hole with playing partner.

All told 1hr 42 mins for 6 holes which would have meant a 5 hour round. Checked on an old round and we played 18.holes in 3hr 12mins

By the time we played 18, walked to car park, packed clubs into car and were driving out of car park the group on front of us had just hit their 1st shot on the 1st hole (their 7th of the day)

Disgraceful.

I dont mind a wait or a delay but i dont actually want to be on a course for 5 hours.. no point clubs having signs up about how long it should take you to certain points of course if there is nobody out checking on slow groups and asking them.to let people play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

3 rounds over the weekend.
    Friday open. 32 points and 6 scratches. Either sublime golf or complete and total sh#$#.
    Saturday club comp. 14 points 7 front 7 back. Tired and frustrated with total minddf#$% of a round.
    Sunday casual 4 ball with mates and started well with 2 pars, bogey and birdie.....then it kicked in again. scratched 5 holes in a row.
    bogey, scratch, bogey, par,bogey start to back 9 then scratched all the way home.

Still playing this weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

86 for 68 net in strokeplay and lowest score. Handicsp down to 17 again and lessons are paying off.

Still leaving a number of shots out there through carelessness and poor enough putting but all in all heading the right way.

Years goal of 15 still achievable with couple months of counting season to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

38 pts off 13 on Sunday

11 pars
    4 bogeys
    1 double
    2 scratches

Scratch 1 was a skulled wedge and a three putt. Scratch 2 was loss of focus from scratch 1. Feels like a missed opportunity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Was out in corballis on sunday morning...

Last time we played there it was the exact same. There was 3 of us and we were ready to go but there was a football on the time sheet ahead of us. Just as we were about to tee off the came over from the practice green and said they were out before us. A fourball in front of a threeball? Didn’t make sense.
    They were the slowest bunch of pr@&&s and never offered to let us through. Even the third lad in our group went in after 12 as the round was so long and he had to head off. They were ridiculous slow.

It’s an absolute disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Played in Mountrath GC yesterday. First time there. My game is in tatters with an abysmal 19 points playing off 15. Course is in good condition and tough with all the trees and blind shots. A lot of the tee shots are tight. Enjoyed the day out despite the poor golf (mainly can't hit it off the tee anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

monthly medal. 90 gross 76 nett. Started with a birdie after lipping a 75 yard pitch and slowly downhill after that.
    43 out 47 back.
    off to portmarnock Friday and European Saturday for a wee treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great round yesterday, was very consistent and bad shots were quickly followed by good recoveries.

Pity it was pitch and putt!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Single digit handicap acquired :) down to 9.2 after president's prize 38pts (got best sunday… but mainly due to there being a lot of prizes :) ) 42pts won it (2nd had 42 aswell).

Birdies: 0
    Pars: 11
    Bogeys: 6
    Doubles: 0
    Scratch: 1

GIR: 9 (but just on fringe on 3 more)

Out: 18 pts In: 20pts

Pros: driver & irons were pretty solid, long range putting was better than ever before... can't recall a 3 putt.
    tried to have better course management so I wasn't left with my shankable 40-80 yarders :)

Cons: scratched par 3 8th after landing hard in a bunker off the tee. got it out but ran through the green into the far side bunker... not fun :)
    need to commit more to 3-10feet breaking putts... was happy with tap in pars on too many holes rather than going for the birdie

Well done.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Well done.

thanks, I think posting scores here really copped me on... as silly as that sounds!

Single digit handicap acquired :) down to 9.2 after president's prize 38pts (got best sunday… but mainly due to there being a lot of prizes :) ) 42pts won it (2nd had 42 aswell).

Birdies: 0
    Pars: 11
    Bogeys: 6
    Doubles: 0
    Scratch: 1

GIR: 9 (but just on fringe on 3 more)

Out: 18 pts In: 20pts

Pros: driver & irons were pretty solid, long range putting was better than ever before... can't recall a 3 putt.
    tried to have better course management so I wasn't left with my shankable 40-80 yarders :)

Cons: scratched par 3 8th after landing hard in a bunker off the tee. got it out but ran through the green into the far side bunker... not fun :)
    need to commit more to 3-10feet breaking putts... was happy with tap in pars on too many holes rather than going for the birdie

Fair play. I'll get to reveal your true identity now (and there'll be no payback cos you won't see me on a leaderboard).

But seriously, that's very good shooting. What were conditions like?

I find the par 3s there unforgiving, pars are good scores. Each one is a serious test, 6th is long, 8th is surrounded (and has oob), 10 doesn't need anything said for it, 12th similar to 10, 15 if you have distance but not accuracy a par is a tough ask. Maybe it's easier if you're good at the game!

To be fair to the rest of us struggling this year, I think we need a few posts of the not so good rounds!! I moved club this year and am starting to think my new course is just too tough for me.
    8 rounds, only one buffer, rest were less than 30 points. Scoring very poorly on the front 9 and back 9 is impossible to get a score to make it up to buffer. I was on track for the first 6 holes of the back 9 tonight only to scratch 16, Double 17&18. Doubled the last after a 230m drive to the middle of the fairway :(
    Few sloppy shots are costing me big time

Anyway. Ended with 3 Pars including one on the impossible index 1, 7 bogies, 4 doubles and scratched 4:(
    28 lousy points

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

36 points yesterday with 2 scratches. I can't keep the scratches off my card. Both came from wildly hooked tee shots that were never seen again.

Mushy wrote: »
    Fair play. I'll get to reveal your true identity now (and there'll be no payback cos you won't see me on a leaderboard).

But seriously, that's very good shooting. What were conditions like?

I find the par 3s there unforgiving, pars are good scores. Each one is a serious test, 6th is long, 8th is surrounded (and has oob), 10 doesn't need anything said for it, 12th similar to 10, 15 if you have distance but not accuracy a par is a tough ask. Maybe it's easier if you're good at the game!

haha, we should get out for a game some weekend... now as you know my real name :) shur we prob know each other to see around maybe

was a feckn lovely day, roasted out there 23/24 degrees i'd say. wind was with us on the 3rd & against us on the 4th all day but wasn't anything mental.

ya the par3s are so unforgiving. I know a few who find the 12th harder than the 10th. the 15th must be one of the harder index 18s around... esp off the blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

charlieIRL wrote: »
    To be fair to the rest of us struggling this year, I think we need a few posts of the not so good rounds!! I moved club this year and am starting to think my new course is just too tough for me.
    8 rounds, only one buffer, rest were less than 30 points. Scoring very poorly on the front 9 and back 9 is impossible to get a score to make it up to buffer. I was on track for the first 6 holes of the back 9 tonight only to scratch 16, Double 17&18. Doubled the last after a 230m drive to the middle of the fairway :(
    Few sloppy shots are costing me big time

Anyway. Ended with 3 Pars including one on the impossible index 1, 7 bogies, 4 doubles and scratched 4:(
    28 lousy points
    What course have you gone to and where did you leave? I have moved twice in a couple of years and always find it hard to adjust. Stick at it and the game will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

New to the game this year and trying to get the Handicap down to a respectable level currently off 38. Played two comps so far and got 31 and 34 points. How do you find out the CSS for the day after it and what points are needed for a cut on the handicap? Cheers in advance

eoghan104 wrote: »
    What course have you gone to and where did you leave? I have moved twice in a couple of years and always find it hard to adjust. Stick at it and the game will come.

Moved from Castle Barna to Tullamore in Offaly. Two totally different beasts!!

I'll stick at it for another while, have started paying 2019 sub already and i hate moving clubs so will just have to try get better!!

kod12 wrote: »
    New to the game this year and trying to get the Handicap down to a respectable level currently off 38. Played two comps so far and got 31 and 34 points. How do you find out the CSS for the day after it and what points are needed for a cut on the handicap? Cheers in advance

It'll take time to come down, but stick with it as it's the only way.

Should find css on golfnet after a comp. To get cut, you need to be higher than css. This is normally about the same as the SSS, give or take a shot, so depends on your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Played Roscommon on Saturday

20 points on front 9 and 12 on the back 9 making 32. Damn 2 scratches on the back 9 ruined the card really.

Pretty happy with that, course is in fabulous nick, probably borne out by the fact it was more or less solidly booked all day

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Played the medal yesterday, Nett 81 off 12 - one of those days ! started off with a birdie, could'nt get going after that, yesterday was the first time playing a medal where I went out with the idea of just going for shots off the tee, rather than playing cagey (in other words smart !!) - I won't be doing that again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A cut got away from me this weekend.

Shot 34 points (85 strokes) in Stableford off the Blues, with Captains Day pin positions (didn't qualify for Captains, so played in the plate in the morning before it)

With a bit of wind blowing, back tees & some tough pins, CSS came in at 34 points

Had 3 3-putts. 1 was probably a reasonable one, had a very long first putt on a 2-tier green, up hill 3/4 of the way, then downhill once you got to the top tier, so not too upset about it. The other 2 though should have been relatively handy 2-putts & resulted in scratches. Making those 2 3-putts into 2-putts would have won me the competition too, which makes it even more annoying.

Short-sided myself on a couple of approaches too that resulted in making an Up&Down close to impossible

47% FIR
    33% GIR
    17% Scrambling
    35 Putts

On the good side, I drove relatively well (any fairways I missed were in the first cut) & hit my irons & hybrids well all day.

Hopefully trending the right direction & can pick up a cut or two before the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

7 points after 4 holes in the heavy rain on Sun. 5th green looked unplayable (wet), so we started walking back to clubhouse and got text anyway to say comp was being canceled.

Had three lip-outs from short puts in the 4 holes so that 7pts could just as easily been 10pts.

A little bit of a confidence top-up, even after just four, to know I can come right back to hit the ball well in those conditions after golf fails the last few weekends where I just lost something in my ball striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

35 points in the worst of the rain yesterday morning around headfort new. Very frustrating finish as I scratched the last (from the fairway) for my only scratch of the day, and CSS was 35 pts so even a bogey would have got me a handicap cut of some description. Went long and left of the green on the par 4 18th and had pretty much no shot of getting it close, then duffed my first pitch, tried to be too smart with my next chip and ended up with a 7. Had a few 3 putts too which cost me, left a couple of first putts woefully short.

Apart from that I was happy with it (especially considering the conditions, the rain didn't let up until the 15th). Hopefully can get a cut in the next while before the season ends!

Fairways 57%
    GIR 22%
    Scrambling 55%
    Putts 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Front 9 I had a respectable 18 pts. Then I completely collapsed. 3 pts on the back 9. 7 scratches.

The driver is just completely unreliable and it started affecting confidence with every club in the bag.

I was parked beside a skip and the clubs nearly went in there instead of the boot.

Worst thing was, one of my playing partners wanted to hit a ball of the first just to figure something out at the end of the round. I joined him and hit a dead straight, super long drive right down the middle. I hate this game!

Advertisement