Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Picked up the car today. Very happy with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well, at least it wont get dirty! Ours needs a good wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice! Where did you get it?

Kia garage in kildare

Alun wrote: »
    I've just noticed that the UVO App finally seems to be available now on the Android Play Store for Irish users.

I deleted the old version I'd sideloaded from an apk and reinstalled it, logged in and tried to "Add my car" again by entering the VIN.

Last time I tried this it refused point blank with the message "Invalid VIN" or something like that, but this time it paused a while and came back with "The import request failed because the network connection of this car is unstable." whatever that means.

So, a bit inconclusive, but it looks like something's happening on the UVO App front at last.

I'm getting the same error message about the network connection being unstable.

Did you get it fixed?

• Advertisement

I'm getting the same error message about the network connection being unstable.

Did you get it fixed?

Alun has the phev I think, uvo doesn't seem to be enabled on his car yet.

You have to go into the uvo app in the car, and read and accept the T+S. That should enable the uvo on the car for the app to be able to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi, yes, I have the PHEV and there's no sign of it on the head unit at all, not even an icon in the menu, so I'm wondering if it's even enabled in the car's configuration. I've been trying to find out how to get into engineering mode, without any luck, to see if it is, along with DAB which is also not enabled, although in all probability present, as I don't believe that Kia would actually go to the trouble of making a separate head unit without it, but that's another story.

Anyway, I tried entering the VIN in the Uvo app again the other day, and it's reverted to the error message about it being an invalid VIN instead. Maybe they added the PHEV VINs to their database by mistake for a while and then removed them later, I don't know.

You need to enable Uvo on the car first before you try to pair it, plus I've read on other forums that if you have a WiFi connection set up, either to the house WiFi or via a phone hotspot, you need to disable / remove that first before trying to pair it.

graememk wrote: »
    Alun has the phev I think, uvo doesn't seem to be enabled on his car yet.

You have to go into the uvo app in the car, and read and accept the T+S. That should enable the uvo on the car for the app to be able to connect.

There is no uvo icon on the screen in the car. It's the newer model. Dealer is looking into it for me

There is no uvo icon on the screen in the car. It's the newer model. Dealer is looking into it for me
    That's interesting. Will be interested to hear what they do to resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

watching this with interest as I've a E-soul (FEB 2020) and don't have the UVO on the head unit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't think there's any big mystery. They simply haven't rolled it out to the Soul or PHEV yet. Even looking at the site, it's listed as available on the new eNiro, but still only coming soon to Soul and PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭championc

To be honest, in my opinion, you're missing nothing.

UVO is on the car. Just an issue with the connection in the car. Will be handy in winter. That's about it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

So I've a stupidly basic question :-D Above the drivers seat is a cabin light in the roof, it's constantly on regardless of which button I press. How do I switch it off?

So I've a stupidly basic question :-D Above the drivers seat is a cabin light in the roof, it's constantly on regardless of which button I press. How do I switch it off?
    Press the light itself.

Alun wrote: »
    Press the light itself.

Oh my God :-D Let's try and shift the conversation onto other stuff now so this can be forgotten about :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Oh my God :-D Let's try and shift the conversation onto other stuff now so this can be forgotten about :cool:

Can we presume you are now somewhat more illuminated when it comes to the operation of said equipment, and that a veil of darkness has crept over you as you dwell on prior experiences?

This car is just wonderful to drive. Before buying one I'd never sat in nor seen one (but researched the crap out of it). Like you all I managed to get the SE even though had originally ordered the FE, the dealership in Kilkenny was fantastic. Got charging cables for type 2 and granny cable (someone else said it wasn't available with theirs). Of course given the lock down I've only driven it twice so far (got it yesterday).

Have you all been able to activate UVO? I tried earlier but said something about unstable signal to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

This car is just wonderful to drive. ........I've only driven it twice so far (got it yesterday).

Well wear :).

This car is just wonderful to drive. Before buying one I'd never sat in nor seen one (but researched the crap out of it). Like you all I managed to get the SE even though had originally ordered the FE, the dealership in Kilkenny was fantastic. Got charging cables for type 2 and granny cable (someone else said it wasn't available with theirs). Of course given the lock down I've only driven it twice so far (got it yesterday).

Have you all been able to activate UVO? I tried earlier but said something about unstable signal to the car

We got the type 2 single phase and granny charger,
    We didn't get a three phase one yet, it "should" be coming according to Kia.

Regarding uvo, it has to be activated on the car side by going to the app (in the car) and accepting the terms and conditions

• Advertisement

Apologies - I'm sure this has been addressed - how does one calculate time to charge? For example there's a nearby charge point which is a type 2 socket, 22 KW , 3 phases (EasyGo chargepoint). I appreciate the car will tell me after I plug in but I'm thinking how I plan my extra long runs around charging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You don't have a 3 phase cable so max speed at AC is 7.2kw.
    7.2/64
    Your would get approx 11% an hour.

But then for your long runs you need to use Rapid charging, not AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

Apologies - I'm sure this has been addressed - how does one calculate time to charge? For example there's a nearby charge point which is a type 2 socket, 22 KW , 3 phases (EasyGo chargepoint). I appreciate the car will tell me after I plug in but I'm thinking how I plan my extra long runs around charging :)

If your car is limited to 7kW you get up to 7kW of energy per hour.

Some very new with right cable may be 11kW. None are 22kW.

Assuming 64kWh battery with 7kW rate that's 9 hours from 0%, however that assumes no losses, that assumes no slow down in charge rate near full, and that assumes no time to balance the cells at the end. A rough guide is 10% charge per hour charging with the last bit being slower. If you are using easygo at lidl note they have a time limit of a few hours after which the charger will stop, so no good for a full fill.

For trips out of your range, ideally park overnight at a 22kW charger (not at lidl) or stop at a 50kW charger which will be 7 times faster. If charging at a 50kW charger charging slows dramatically after 70/80/90%, so better to move on from charger if you do not need 100%. There is also an overstay fee at 50kW chargers after 45 minutes of 5 euro.

Got it, thank you :)

One more question :) I saw on YouTube that the UK model automatically adjusts the side mirrors when one switches to Reverse. It doesn't do that on mine, is that an example of the paddy spec being less than the rest?

One more question :) I saw on YouTube that the UK model automatically adjusts the side mirrors when one switches to Reverse. It doesn't do that on mine, is that an example of the paddy spec being less than the rest?

I’ve seen that mentioned (on the Canadian model) and apparently you need to have the mirror adjustment switch either left or right. Doesn’t matter which. If it’s in the neutral position, it doesn’t work. Is yours neutral by any chance?

JohnC. wrote: »
    I’ve seen that mentioned (on the Canadian model) and apparently you need to have the mirror adjustment switch either left or right. Doesn’t matter which. If it’s in the neutral position, it doesn’t work. Is yours neutral by any chance?

Yeah, saw that too. No, I've got the mirror on L or R and in either case it didn't adjust when in Reverse. Not a big deal if not, just wondering if I'm not doing something.

Looks like we’re short changed again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    If your car is limited to 7kW you get up to 7kW of energy per hour.

Some very new with right cable may be 11kW. None are 22kW.

Assuming 64kWh battery with 7kW rate that's 9 hours from 0%, however that assumes no losses, that assumes no slow down in charge rate near full, and that assumes no time to balance the cells at the end. A rough guide is 10% charge per hour charging with the last bit being slower. If you are using easygo at lidl note they have a time limit of a few hours after which the charger will stop, so no good for a full fill.

For trips out of your range, ideally park overnight at a 22kW charger (not at lidl) or stop at a 50kW charger which will be 7 times faster. If charging at a 50kW charger charging slows dramatically after 70/80/90%, so better to move on from charger if you do not need 100%. There is also an overstay fee at 50kW chargers after 45 minutes of 5 euro.
    This is not the case, I charged for a full day at 11kW in Lidl near the bon secours in Cork earlier in the year. Took on ~70kWh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Apart from choosing an eligible vehicle - e-Niro is eligible - is there any other eligibility criteria for the 5k EUR SEAI grant please?

Advertisement