Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

graememk wrote: »
    Whats the numbers on the bulbs you took out, eg wattage, lumen and colour if it says it, Just for comparasions

Seems to be 60w

Since they are just a straight swap, it's super simple to swap them over on the morning of an NCT :)

Original bulb pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Did you guys hear anything about an upcoming servicing bundle offer?
    In the March MY20 Brochure I downloaded from Kia Ireland they say:
    Care-3
    Our Care-3 plan means looking after your new Kia is a piece of cake. In order to keep your new Kia runninglike new, it has to be serviced every year. Now imagine having all the servicing your new Kia will need for the next three years sorted and paid for, in advance, and at a competitive price. Introducing Kia Care-3, the easy way to look after your new Kia, and protect your 7 year warranty.
    ...but dealers don't seem to know about it and wouldn't know how to price it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

xboxdad wrote: »
    Did you guys hear anything about an upcoming servicing bundle offer?
    In the March MY20 Brochure I downloaded from Kia Ireland they say:
    Care-3
    Our Care-3 plan means looking after your new Kia is a piece of cake. In order to keep your new Kia runninglike new, it has to be serviced every year. Now imagine having all the servicing your new Kia will need for the next three years sorted and paid for, in advance, and at a competitive price. Introducing Kia Care-3, the easy way to look after your new Kia, and protect your 7 year warranty.
    ...but dealers don't seem to know about it and wouldn't know how to price it.

They probably don't want you to take it out because you end up getting one service for free.

When I bought a new Sportage in 2011 and 2016, I took out the Care-3 plan. It covers you for 3 annual services for 299 euro. The average price for a service on a Sportage is around 150 euro, so you were getting 1 service for free by paying in advance for the plan. I see it's increased to 599 for the Sportage now !

For the eNiro or eSoul, I don't think it would be a good idea to take this plan as the service should be a lot cheaper, I hope. Probably around 100 euro or a bit less.

I don't see the eNiro mentioned in the latest Care-3 brochure, so not even sure if it's possible to have it covered under the plan.

I'll call the dealer to see if I can have my Eniro covered under any service plan and update later.

My dealer/service dept were fully aware of the Care-3/Care-5 plans and had all the info about them.

My 182 Leaf had a 2 year service plan for 99 euro which I took at the time, but I only used one of them before the eNiro arrived. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

icom wrote: »
    They probably don't want you to take it out because you end up getting one service for free.

When I bought a new Sportage in 2011 and 2016, I took out the Care-3 plan. It covers you for 3 annual services for 299 euro. The average price for a service on a Sportage is around 150 euro, so you were getting 1 service for free by paying in advance for the plan. I see it's increased to 599 for the Sportage now !

For the eNiro or eSoul, I don't think it would be a good idea to take this plan as the service should be a lot cheaper, I hope. Probably around 100 euro or a bit less.

I don't see the eNiro mentioned in the latest Care-3 brochure, so not even sure if it's possible to have it covered under the plan.

I'll call the dealer to see if I can my Eniro covered under any service plan and update later.

My dealer/service dept were fully aware of the Care-3/Care-5 plans and had all the info about them.

My 182 Leaf had a 2 year service plan for 99 euro which I took at the time, but I only used one of them before the eNiro arrived. :)

When I bought the eNiro last July, the dealer wanted €250 for the 3 year service plan. I haggled it into the price already quoted for the car.

I did the same when I bought the Ioniq, but I got a 5 year service plan with that. I felt I'd failed just getting the 3 year out of the Kia sales manager. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

championc wrote: »
    I've just upgraded my headlight bulbs with the following ZES LED bulbs. They are high/lo bulbs so they are a perfect replacement for the halogen factory bulbs.

Attached is a photo of the left original beside the replaced right, and then a photo of the lights head on

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202923950239

Thanks for the effort in posting this. As others have said it is unlikely they are road legal and may fail the nct when car is 4 years old. One reason for this is any headlight above a certain brightness MUST have certain extras such as headlight washing and often automatic levelling which your car may not.

They may dazzle oncoming cars if the beam is slightly different.

I don't want to get too technical here, but some aspects of the seller are suspect, 2,000 watts a pair is just a lie. Typically old style are 50 watt each, LED tend to be 20 watt as they are more energy efficient for similar output. Some LED are 50 watt, but these just waste 30 extra watts as heat, because some cars will indicate the headlight bulb has blown if it does not draw 40+ watts. In your case they say the 30 watt 'heater' , the gold item in the cable, is an option extra external inline resistor option, which is good as this keeps the heat away from the temperature sensitive LED light. The LED also has a fan which is good to keep the LED cool and extend its life. Some have fins for cooling which is good as the fans can fail with age, but the fins can make installation impossible in some cars.

I recommend hanging on to your old bulbs and if you do fail the nct it will probably require a full retest for headlight alignment rechecking. Check against a really dark wall for any bright spots high up that may blind oncoming traffic.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'll be swapping over to the originals on the morning of an NCT, and can then swap back again. I like running with the lights on during daytime, so 20w bulbs certainly makes more sense that the factory installed 60w bulbs.

icom wrote: »

I'll call the dealer to see if I can have my Eniro covered under any service plan and update later.

When I bought the eNiro last July, the dealer wanted €250 for the 3 year service plan. I haggled it into the price already quoted for the car.

I did the same when I bought the Ioniq, but I got a 5 year service plan with that. I felt I'd failed just getting the 3 year out of the Kia sales manager. :D

Wow, it seems everyone's dealers have a different understanding of KIA's products.
    I keep wondering what is KIA Ireland for if it's up to the dealers whether or not they acknowledge the existence of certain products.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

There was some talk here the last few weeks of the cable provided with the second edition being incorrect. Can someone clarify it for me.

My take from reading here is that the eNiro Second Edition should come with a 3 phase cable and right now it does not.

Am I right in saying a 3 phase cable can do all the things the other cable can do(eg use my home or work chargers) AND also make the Kia charge at 11kw at Ecars 22kw chargers. Or will I need one cable for home/work and another for Ecars?

If i got a 32amp phase 3 cable would it charge at 22kw or is the on board eNiro charger limited to 11kw?

I'm in advanced stages of getting a second edition eNiro so any clarification would be really helpful.

The cable can be used at any charge point, be it a public 22kw or a home 7kw or lower.

The maximum AC charging rate is determined by the onboard charger in the car. Therefore, this device only allows charging to a Max rate of 11kw

The cable can be used at any charge point, be it a public 22kw or a home 7kw or lower.

The maximum AC charging rate is determined by the onboard charger in the car. Therefore, this device only allows charging to a Max rate of 11kw

Perfect, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Am I right in saying a 3 phase cable can do all the things the other cable can do(eg use my home or work chargers) AND also make the Kia charge at 11kw at Ecars 22kw chargers. Or will I need one cable for home/work and another for Ecars?

The thing to watch out for with 3ph cables is that you get a 32A one.

If they give you a 3ph 16A one it will allow you to charge at 11kW on the public chargers but only 3.6kW at home!

So, check the markings on the cable to ensure it is 32A.

KCross wrote: »
    The thing to watch out for with 3ph cables is that you get a 32A one.

If they give you a 3ph 16A one it will allow you to charge at 11kW on the public chargers but only 3.6kW at home!

So, check the markings on the cable to ensure it is 32A.

That's great info, thank you!
    Where is it written on the cable / plug that it's 32A? Is it easy to find? (do you have a pic by any chance?)

What is the cable that you get with the Ioniq by default.

I would guess, 32Amp Single Phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What is the cable that you get with the Ioniq by default.

I would guess, 32Amp Single Phase?
    yup

The head that plugs into the wall charger does indeed say 32A. However, I think the single phase cable also says 32A.

The single phase cable is light blue while the 3 phase cable is light grey. The 3 phase cable is also about the thickness of my index finger, or bigger. It's a hell of a lot chunkier than the single phase version

Photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I gots a call from my dealer today to say they received the 3 phase cable and come swap it, which is great, I didn't have to chase them. Apparently the March batch of the new 2020 model all had 2 phase included inadvertently and Kia is sending new cables to the dealerships. I have to give back 2 phase to get 3 phase cable

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This is incorrect, the maximum AC charging rate is determined by the lowest of three things.

1. The AC charger in the car
    2. The capability of the charge point
    3. The capability of the charging cable

Plugging a single phase 16A cable into an eCars 22kW AC charger and an e-Niro which can charge at 11kW will result in a charging speed of 3.3kW (16A single phase).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can it be charged from a home charger at 11kW if the correct cable is used? (presumably (some?) home chargers are capable of delivering 11kW charge)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It can, but you would need to install a 3 phase 16A charger at home. In order to do this, you would need to upgrade your domestic power supply to 3 phase. This can be quite expensive.

liamog wrote: »
    It can, but you would need to install a 3 phase 16A charger at home. In order to do this, you would need to upgrade your domestic power supply to 3 phase. This can be quite expensive.

This is a limitation of what?
    The domestic supply is well capable of 50A if the wiring is good, so 11kW is within its capabilities on single phase.

What then determines that it must be 3 phase?

• Advertisement

This is a limitation of what?
    The domestic supply is well capable of 50A if the wiring is good, so 11kW is within its capabilities on single phase.

What then determines that it must be 3 phase?

Limitation of the car.

Most cars that can do 11kW can only do so when connected to a 3ph supply, which isnt practical for the majority in a domestic environment. It can pull 16A per phase.

When the same car is connected to a 1ph supply (the vast majority of houses) it can only pull 32A(7kW). It has no way of pulling 50A from 1ph.

KCross wrote: »
    Limitation of the car.

Most cars that can do 11kW can only do so when connected to a 3ph supply, which isnt practical for the majority in a domestic environment. It can pull 16A per phase.

When the same car is connected to a 1ph supply (the vast majority of houses) it can only pull 32A(7kW). It has no way of pulling 50A from 1ph.

Thanks for that explanation.

I had been wondering about it. :)

The main reason we see car's with 11kW (3x16A) is that in some European countries 3 phase domestic supply is quite common. For cars that only have a single phase on board charger they would be restricted to 1x16A which is 3.6kW.
    The compromise has been to install 3 phase 16A chargers in cars, allow the hardware to intellignetly operate in a dual mode 2x16A when connected to a single phase 32A charging point and 32A cable.

liamog wrote: »
    The compromise has been to install 3 phase 16A chargers in cars, allow the hardware to intellignetly operate in a dual mode 2x16A when connected to a single phase 32A charging point and 32A cable.

There appears to be a gotcha there too with some 11kW cars where they can’t do that combining thing so if you order the 11kW option you get stuck with 3.6kW on 1ph. I believe the e208 is like that.

I’m crossing my fingers the ID.3 gives the flexibility of both 7kW 1ph and 11kW 3ph.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I gots a call from my dealer today to say they received the 3 phase cable and come swap it, which is great, I didn't have to chase them. Apparently the March batch of the new 2020 model all had 2 phase included inadvertently and Kia is sending new cables to the dealerships. I have to give back 2 phase to get 3 phase cable
    I don't suppose you got anything in written form? I picked up my new eNiro this week and of course it had the 2 phase cable. My dealer had spoken to Kia Ireland, and they knew nothing of it.

I had to do my research with the help of you fine folks and be very clear to my dealer about what i need. Picking mine up in July, hopefully with the correct cable.

I don't suppose you got anything in written form? I picked up my new eNiro this week and of course it had the 2 phase cable. My dealer had spoken to Kia Ireland, and they knew nothing of it.

No, they rang me today (without me prompting them). And what prompted them, they said, was Kia Ireland proactively shipping to them the 3 Phase cable for the 2020 models they received in March. I'm fairly certain they didn't know of this when I picked up the model as they would have mentioned it.

I had to do my research with the help of you fine folks and be very clear to my dealer about what i need. Picking mine up in July, hopefully with the correct cable.

Nice, you're going to love it. What are you upgrading from? I love this car, it's wonderful to drive. I managed to ignore my family and go for a small drive this evening, I can't help but giggle when I (briefly) surge the car forward on a steep uphill or the like

I put nearly 130000km on my Ioniq in just over 3 years. I love it but it could do with bigger range and a bigger boot. That's the long and short of it.

• Advertisement

Complete bullsh1t. Kia Ireland confirmed it to me via Twitter DM just after lockdown and sure enough, the cable was waiting for me in the dealers when they re-opened. I had raised it with the salesman too the day after I collected the car

Did your dealer even know the car came with an 11kw charger ? Mine did so he accepted the fact that s single phase cable would be restricting charging to 7kw, but basically didn't know if it would be a free upgrade (which it turned out it was)

Advertisement