Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That is only possible if the timbers are parallel to the direction you need the cable to go, and if there are no impediments along the route.

I can state categorically that what you describe would not be possible in my house.

It seems to me that essentially you got rather lucky.

Every house is different, of course.

However, I bet there is some route that doesn’t involve ugly trunking along your living room, lifting expensive floor boards or endless wall drilling.

I might add that the timbers in my house weren’t going the right direction either. I had to go in the opposite direction first till I got to the attic space and then I was able to redirect to the right part of the external wall by crossing the house the other way. It was a longer run but a completely hidden install and wasn’t a big deal.

It can be done and not just this way either. There’s also hiding it behind skirting. You just need someone willing to put in a little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KCross wrote: »
    Every house is different, of course.

However, I bet there is some route that doesn’t involve ugly trunking along your living room, lifting expensive floor boards or endless wall drilling.

I might add that the timbers in my house weren’t going the right direction either. I had to go in the opposite direction first till I got to the attic space and then I was able to redirect to the right part of the external wall by crossing the house the other way. It was a longer run but a completely hidden install and wasn’t a big deal.

It can be done and not just this way either. There’s also hiding it behind skirting. You just need someone willing to put in a little effort.

:D So not as simple and straightforward as first implied.

I have made allowances externally which was very simple to do before the driveway was laid. Feed from meter to my external box through which a car charger can be connected, if and when I have that need.
    No disruption in the house at all, and the extra load wiring is all external.

:D So not as simple and straightforward as first implied.

I don’t remember implying it was simple just that it can be done without pulling up floorboards or unsightly trunking etc! ;)

It’s not complicated either though.

If someone says it can’t be done, I’d get another electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

I personally, if faced with a similar situation, would look to bring a cable up to the attic. From there, you can go anywhere.

I personally, if faced with a similar situation, would look to bring a cable up to the attic. From there, you can go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

championc wrote: »
    That's what my installer did, although I'm in a bungalow so a bit easier. Up into the ceiling from the CU over the front door, across the front of the house via the attic and out through the soffit on the side and down the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

I have the same problem, relatively new build with consumer unit in the middle of house. I am hoping the electrician can chase the cable from the consumer unit(there's a PV metre) up to the solar panels are in the attic and come across the side of the house and down from there. I've no idea how difficult this would be but I wouldn't be interested in running cables in trunking through the house.

Extra unit at the meter would be the preferred option if allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

New version now on the Kia Ireland site, with €2k price bump. They've not changed the name of the trim line.

https://www.kia.com/ie/new-cars/e-niro/discover/

[edit]

Actually, it looks like the page is half-updated. There's still some old stuff listed in the specs, like the smaller screen in one place and the larger screen in another. Sterling job.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

JohnC. wrote: »
    New version now on the Kia Ireland site, with €2k price bump. They've not changed the name of the trim line.

https://www.kia.com/ie/new-cars/e-niro/discover/

[edit]

Actually, it looks like the page is half-updated. There's still some old stuff listed in the specs, like the smaller screen in one place and the larger screen in another. Sterling job.

Must be a work in progress, what a mess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭xboxdad

You can actually download the MY20 specs as pdf from them. I attached it to this post.

Do you see any novelty outside of the bigger multimedia display?

• Advertisement

xboxdad wrote: »
    You can actually download the MY20 specs as pdf from them. I attached it to this post.

Do you see any novelty outside of the bigger multimedia display?

Lighting
    Halogen lamps (bi-function projection) - Still !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Lighting
    Halogen lamps (bi-function projection) - Still !!!
    How much is the car? Halogen bulbs. FFS. Are there electric seat adjustments?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

How much is the car? Halogen bulbs. FFS. Are there electric seat adjustments?

Manual seat

graememk wrote: »
    Manual seat

There will be some nose dive in ev sales for at least 5 years. Was slowing down anyhow b4 covid 19. I'll have to take good care of the leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

The back seats are heated too though right?

There will be some nose dive in ev sales for at least 5 years. Was slowing down anyhow b4 covid 19. I'll have to take good care of the leaf.

Why 5 years? You thinking massive recession?

The back seats are heated too though right?

yeah the back seats are heated.

does the spec mention the 11kw charger (three phase?)

I prefer the manual seat to the electric of the UK edition as that doesnt have memory so when switching between me and the other half its just a matter of whipping it back.

It does mention the 11kw charger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any of you fine folk on lockdown have time to make a table comparing spec on 4 versions:

*Irish FE
    *UK FE
    *Irish SE
    *UK SE

yeah the back seats are heated.

Where do you see that please on the pdf?

I could only find:
    • Heated & Ventilated front seats
    • Heated steering wheel
    (in case you know it because you own a MY20, it may have a slightly different spec form another batch of cars coming into the country I guess)

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any of you fine folk on lockdown have time to make a table comparing spec on 4 versions:

No - well documented in posts since about 15 March

Where do you see that please on the pdf?

Post #2381

Post #2381

What do you mean? :)
    You pointed me at my own post...
    • So, I posted that PDF yesterday
    • I can't find any proof of heated rear seats in that PDF
    • Someone here said there's heated rear seats in MY20
    • I'm asking where did they see it in the PDF I posted
    • It's important to have it in that official PDF otherwise you either get a car with it or not - even if someone on the group has an actual MY20 with heated rear seats - configuration can change between batches I assume

Finally had a chance to look at the PDF.

Can't see heated rear seats. My car has them.

But it does say heated and ventilated front seats

@championc, could ours be ventilated too? Could it be in the fan settings? I know the seats have holes in it.

Mrs is off to work in ours, joys of being "essential"

Had a Ford hire car in the states and there was a button for it on that.

What do you mean? :)
    You pointed me at my own post...
    • So, I posted that PDF yesterday
    • I can't find any proof of heated rear seats in that PDF
    • Someone here said there's heated rear seats in MY20
    • I'm asking where did they see it in the PDF I posted
    • It's important to have it in that official PDF otherwise you either get a car with it or not - even if someone on the group has an actual MY20 with heated rear seats - configuration can change between batches I assume

Apologies. As you say, there is nothing about the heated rear seats in there, but WE DID get them. I somehow can't see them making the Halogen Lights available and you'd expect them to change to LED "at some stage".

So I suppose, the spec should maybe be taken as the minimum guarantee, and anything over and above this is a bonus. Maybe tweet them (they seem reasonable at responding to DM's)

Apologies. As you say, there is nothing about the heated rear seats in there, but WE DID get them. I somehow can't see them making the Halogen Lights available and you'd expect them to change to LED "at some stage".

So I suppose, the spec should maybe be taken as the minimum guarantee, and anything over and above this is a bonus. Maybe tweet them (they seem reasonable at responding to DM's)

I'm getting appalling - lack of - support / responses from any entity related to KIA so far...
    I understand it's a lock down, but it's home work for office people and not a holiday. They certainly treat it as a holiday though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No - well documented in posts since about 15 March

Thanks...

It may be well documented as in there is widespread rambling discussion.

I haven't seen any clear list.

I'm looking for a definitive table to make comparison easier as I'm short on time to keep up with the thread especially when it devolves into a discussion on home chargers.

I figured with most people on lockdown, bored and with time on their hands someone might fancy doing a table. I'd do it myself if I was home.

KCross wrote: »
    Why 5 years? You thinking massive recession?
    I'm thinking serious recession, more like depression. No one will be able to afford an ev at today's prices. Income taxes will be a la Denmark, Vat also. After looking at the scientific and epidemiological studies we're in this for a minimum of 6 months. Where is the government going to get the money for day to day expenditure?

Finally had a chance to look at the PDF.

Can't see heated rear seats. My car has them.

But it does say heated and ventilated front seats

@championc, could ours be ventilated too? Could it be in the fan settings? I know the seats have holes in it.

Mrs is off to work in ours, joys of being "essential"

Had a Ford hire car in the states and there was a button for it on that.

Seat ventilation, where available, is on the same button as the heating. Heating on the top half and cooling on bottom half of the button (with another row of little lights). From an interior pic one of you posted before, it didn’t have it.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Seat ventilation, where available, is on the same button as the heating. Heating on the top half and cooling on bottom half of the button (with another row of little
    lights). From an interior pic one of you posted before, it didn’t have it.

Thought so. I couldn't figure out where the button could go.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks...

It may be well documented as in there is widespread rambling discussion.

I haven't seen any clear list.

I'm looking for a definitive table to make comparison easier as I'm short on time to keep up with the thread especially when it devolves into a discussion on home chargers.

I figured with most people on lockdown, bored and with time on their hands someone might fancy doing a table. I'd do it myself if I was home.

Basically

10.25" screen
    11kw charger
    Front Parking Distance warning
    Rear LED light cluster
    Rear Heated Seats

Advertisement