Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

xboxdad wrote: »
    It seems pretty clear though.
    Everybody says 15k (including 3-4 garages and the MyKia Web page & app) except one single hand-written sticker in one owner's car.
    I wouldn't risk doing it at 20k if it was me.

Also, contacting KIA directly:
    If you try to contact any dealer via the Irish KIA web site, you might get contacted by Joe Duffy.
    So it seems it's just one of the biggest dealers posing as "KIA".

My Kia dealer told me 15k and not to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

On a side note I called Joe Duffy Kia today and asked the OTR price of a 2021 eNiro.

Was told €42k including delivery and metallic paint :eek:

I thought older models were supposed to go down in price, not up!
    It shows how much demand there is for the eNiro, Kia taking the opportunity to raise the price

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

On a side note I called Joe Duffy Kia today and asked the OTR price of a 2021 eNiro.

Was told €42k including delivery and metallic paint :eek:

I thought older models were supposed to go down in price, not up!
    It shows how much demand there is for the eNiro, Kia taking the opportunity to raise the price

Well, they raised the price quite a lot from MY19 to MY20.
    This is a much smaller raise from MY20 to MY21 (MY20 was 40.9k OTR).
    What did they add on top of MY20 for the Irish market?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

It seems pretty clear though.
    Everybody says 15k (including 3-4 garages and the MyKia Web page & app) except one single hand-written sticker in one owner's car.
    I wouldn't risk doing it at 20k if it was me.

Also, contacting KIA directly:
    If you try to contact any dealer via the Irish KIA web site, you might get contacted by Joe Duffy.
    So it seems it's just one of the biggest dealers posing as "KIA".

Was in Kia service today. You won't be losing your warranty on till 30k, but every single Kia garage has his own recommendations. My first service is at 20k they said.

vidukasp wrote: »
    Was in Kia service today. You won't be losing your warranty on till 30k, but every single Kia garage has his own recommendations. My said 20k is your first service.

What a mess :eek:

• Advertisement

Well, they raised the price quite a lot from MY19 to MY20.
    This is a much smaller raise from MY20 to MY21 (MY20 was 40.9k OTR).
    What did they add on top of MY20 for the Irish market?

Well he said they were waiting on confirmation of the VRT changes and the price he was quoting might go down

I guess they forgot to read the news on budget day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

Will make it even more tempting to import a 4+ from the UK in the years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

championc wrote: »
    Will make it even more tempting to import a 4+ from the UK in the years to come

With a likely 10% tariff, 23% VAT & VRT, on top?
    I doubt it will make any financial sense should brexit happen, without a deal.

Kramer wrote: »
    With a likely 10% tariff, 23% VAT & VRT, on top?
    I doubt it will make any financial sense should brexit happen, without a deal.

I think even with a deal you'll still have to pay VAT, since the UK is determined to be outside the single market.

From what I can gather anything that comes into the single market is liable for VAT, regardless of trade deals

Now, what might become more competitive is importing a new car. Assuming they get a deal on import tax then between currency rates and new cars generally being cheaper in the UK you could get a high spec car cheaper than in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’m going (pandemic allowing!) Dublin to Midleton overnight then back to Dublin the following day next month. I’ve seen advice on FB about keeping to say 110kph - do in need to do this in the e-Niro? I’m always cold :p so will have the heat on for the drive too... and probably heated steering wheel/seat on for some of it. I was planning to stop at Cashel anyways for a break (I’ve never driven this far before... in 15 years of driving lol :o). Is there likely to be a queue to charge at Cashel at certain times? I can granny charge overnight as I’ll be staying at a friends house. This will also be my first time using public charging too lol - I have my apps etc for that.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    I’m going (pandemic allowing!) Dublin to Midleton overnight then back to Dublin the following day next month. I’ve seen advice on FB about keeping to say 110kph - do in need to do this in the e-Niro? I’m always cold :p so will have the heat on for the drive too... and probably heated steering wheel/seat on for some of it. I was planning to stop at Cashel anyways for a break (I’ve never driven this far before... in 15 years of driving lol :o). Is there likely to be a queue to charge at Cashel at certain times? I can granny charge overnight as I’ll be staying at a friends house. This will also be my first time using public charging too lol - I have my apps etc for that.

I would advise you to keep the speed down for your scenario if you don't want to charge during the journey. 260km is doable even with heating, but speed is your enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like you'd just be missing around 100km - 150km of range for the round-trip, so you can just drive straight to Midleton, leave the car plugged into the ESB 22kw for an hour or two @11kw/hour if it's convenient for your destination (longer if it's a 2019 model), or use the overnight granny charger and drive home the next day. BTW, the seat warming doesn't seem to make any obvious difference to the range, whereas the AC heating is a monster.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Sounds like you'd just be missing around 100km - 150km of range for the round-trip, so you can just drive straight to Midleton, leave the car plugged into the ESB 22kw for an hour or two @11kw/hour if it's convenient for your destination (longer if it's a 2019 model), or use the overnight granny charger and drive home the next day. BTW, the seat warming doesn't seem to make any obvious difference to the range, whereas the AC heating is a monster.

Yeah drive at whatever is comfortable to you, Cashel has ESB and Ionity (x4) so 5 potential chargers

That route is quite well serviced with chargers.

Thanks!

Try using A Better Route Planner to do the calculations:
    https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Putting in your journey gives a 35 mins charge in Cashel both ways
    https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=d724ba95-c3aa-4660-9e4b-782cb01b6f40

I put Swords as the starting point as it's slightly worst case, means you need to drive around Dublin, and 5C outside temp considering it's December.

My advice is to drive how to feel comfortable doing and use the chargers en route. The only reason to drive slow is if there are no fast chargers en route, Cork-Dublin is well served

If you can plug into the 22kW AC in Midleton and charge to full, then that dramatically shortens your stops, you'll literally barely have enough time to go to the bathroom
    https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=4b00936a-bc62-4643-86c6-c94e46a86a2a

Since you say you've never used public charging I'd recommend checking your ESB card before leaving, just to ensure there are no issues. Same for Ionity. if you can spare the time

Putting in your journey gives a 35 mins charge in Cashel both ways
    https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=d724ba95-c3aa-4660-9e4b-782cb01b6f40

I put Swords as the starting point as it's slightly worst case, means you need to drive around Dublin, and 5C outside temp considering it's December.

My advice is to drive how to feel comfortable doing and use the chargers en route. The only reason to drive slow is if there are no fast chargers en route, Cork-Dublin is well served

If you can plug into the 22kW AC in Midleton and charge to full, then that dramatically shortens your stops, you'll literally barely have enough time to go to the bathroom
    https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=4b00936a-bc62-4643-86c6-c94e46a86a2a

Since you say you've never used public charging I'd recommend checking your ESB card before leaving, just to ensure there are no issues. Same for Ionity. if you can spare the time

Do you own an e-Niro ?

I did a 6500km trip in the Summer (3 ppl & fully loaded with bags) and I didn't find ABRP useful TBH. Maybe if you're very experienced with what numbers you've achieved in the past and you set it up very precisely based on these, it would be better, but if you're just starting out and know nothing about the car's characteristics, ABRP might not be very useful for you.

I ended up reserving 21kWh per 100 km and I always set out my distance to the next charger (Ionity only) so that it's 200-280kms away from me and it worked great. Usually just charged to 80%-84% and if the next Ionity charger was farther than that, I charged up to 100% (very rarely).

Now obviously it's winter and not summer, so I'd need to work out (during the journey itself) what the consumption is under my current circumstances. I'd start out with reserving 25kWh per 100km and would keep the distance to the next charger <=200km and refine the number/expectations as I go.

Do you own an e-Niro ?

I do not, I used the e-Niro setting in ABRP

I did a 6500km trip in the Summer (3 ppl & fully loaded with bags) and I didn't find ABRP useful TBH. Maybe if you're very experienced with what numbers you've achieved in the past and you set it up very precisely based on these, it would be better, but if you're just starting out and know nothing about the car's characteristics, ABRP might not be very useful for you.

I ended up reserving 21kWh per 100 km and I always set out my distance to the next charger (Ionity only) so that it's 200-280kms away from me and it worked great. Usually just charged to 80%-84% and if the next Ionity charger was farther than that, I charged up to 100% (very rarely).

Now obviously it's winter and not summer, so I'd need to work out (during the journey itself) what the consumption is under my current circumstances. I'd start out with reserving 25kWh per 100km and would keep the distance to the next charger <=200km and refine the number/expectations as I go.

That's interesting, normally ABRP has been pretty spot on with the Leaf

I do find you need to use the detailed settings as it defaults to 20C outside temp and no extra weight. Both have an impact on range so I tend to set the temp at 10C and add 100kg to simulate passengers and luggage (I'm not quite prepared to ask everyone what they weigh for a more accurate value).

It can also be a good idea at times to increase the reserve at each charger to give yourself some buffer, in case a charger is down.

It's be nice if you could set defaults in the app, so you don't have to set them every time

It does tend to try and optimise the charging stops which can lead to some strange routes and very short charging breaks. I do try to take everything it says with a pinch of salt as no planner is 100% trustworthy

I do not, I used the e-Niro setting in ABRP

I didn't think so. Anyone who has an e-Niro will tell you that you will easily do 300km (and likely very much more) on a full charge, so the poster asking about Midleton will have absolutely no problem getting down and a granny charger is likely to give them enough charge overnight to avoid a drop-off on the return journey

@tk123 if you ever use a fast charger, it's pretty pointless trying to charge on DC above 80% because the charge rate dies off rapidly after this point. DC fast charging is most efficient between 20% and 80%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are the reasons you would choose the plug in hybrid over the full electric?

I didn't think so. Anyone who has an e-Niro will tell you that you will easily do 300km (and likely very much more) on a full charge, so the poster asking about Midleton will have absolutely no problem getting down and a granny charger is likely to give them enough charge overnight to avoid a drop-off on the return journey

@tk123 if you ever use a fast charger, it's pretty pointless trying to charge on DC above 80% because the charge rate dies off rapidly after this point. DC fast charging is most efficient between 20% and 80%

Thanks! I had read that here/online anyways. I think it should be fine - worst case if Cashel was down/I don't want to queue I know where the nearest fast chargers are to my friend's house if I did want to top up down there. I think a lot of the advice I was reading was for cars with smaller batteries so didn't really apply to me but wanted to be sure!

Gael23 wrote: »
    What are the reasons you would choose the plug in hybrid over the full electric?

Well apparently non e-Niro owners aren't allowed to give advice here but I'll chuck my opinions in anyway :P

If you regularly drove 500km+ for work then I'd consider a PHEV.

Or if you regularly drove a route which was poorly serviced with chargers
    Or if you NEED a new car and can't afford an e-Niro

Those are my thoughts on the matter

you will easily do 300km (and likely very much more) on a full charge

You need to be careful on the motorway at 130km/h, in the winter.
    21.33kWh/100km consumption would mean you go form 100% to 0% in 300km.
    21.33kWh/100km isn't a very high consumption in the winter at 130km/h in my opinion.
    Also, you won't want to arrive with 0%. Much nicer to arrive at a charger with at least 15%, but that's a matter of how good your nerves are.

You need to be careful on the motorway at 130km/h, in the winter.
    21.33kWh/100km consumption would mean you go form 100% to 0% in 300km.
    21.33kWh/100km isn't a very high consumption in the winter at 130km/h in my opinion.
    Also, you won't want to arrive with 0%. Much nicer to arrive at a charger with at least 15%, but that's a matter of how good your nerves are.

I'd prefer to arrive ALIVE than belting down motorways at 130kmph

And even if you were stupid enough to drive at this speed, with the battery warmer in the e-Niro, I still don't think that you'll use a full charge for 300km

And even if you were stupid enough to drive at this speed, with the battery warmer in the e-Niro, I still don't think that you'll use a full charge for 300km

You don't drive at 130km/h where the legal speed limit allows it?

You don't drive at 130km/h where the legal speed limit allows it?

No. Absolutely never. I barely tip over the 100 mark to be honest. And anyone who knows me can verify to this. I leave 10 mins earlier or I arrive late - that's the way it is.

At one stage I hit 8 points - 2 for breaking a red light, 2 for 40 in a 30 zone at 9am on a Saturday morning, 2 for changing lanes without due care (according to the cop biker who was a few cars back) and 2 for holding a mobile at traffic lights.

I got those so so easily, and changed my habbits. It's just not worth it. There will be many people who needlessly took chances and got points, but there will be even more who risked lives for stupid needless risks.

Rant over :)

No. Absolutely never. I barely tip over the 100 mark to be honest. And anyone who knows me can verify to this. I leave 10 mins earlier or I arrive late - that's the way it is.

At one stage I hit 8 points - 2 for breaking a red light, 2 for 40 in a 30 zone at 9am on a Saturday morning, 2 for changing lanes without due care (according to the cop biker who was a few cars back) and 2 for holding a mobile at traffic lights.

I got those so so easily, and changed my habbits. It's just not worth it. There will be many people who needlessly took chances and got points, but there will be even more who risked lives for stupid needless risks.

Rant over :)

You're the perfect EV user so :)

Yeah, I agree on what's not worth it, etc...

In any case, 100km/h vs 130km/h makes a much bigger difference than a fresh e-Niro owner would imagine. Even in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Disclaimer: I don't own an eNiro.

Wow, is the eNiro really that unstable/unsafe at motorway speeds?

What does the battery warmer do to substantially increase high speed range?

120km/h gps speed, into even a modest 20km/h headwind, in winter in Ireland (wet road, raining etc.) will yield far less than 300km usable range in the eNiro.

Again, not an eNiro owner, although I have driven one, which I liked, so I've probably no right to comment, but I am, so :P.

But I agree, if I were the op, I'd keep the speed down & easily make that journey, without needing to stop for a DC charge.

• Advertisement

I'd love to hear of someone getting even less that 350km on a full charge - anyone ?

I did about 320km about two months ago in one day, and it used 75%. I started with 90% and ended up with 15%. I only topped about 100km though. I seriously think you'll find it hard with an e-Niro

Advertisement