Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    For people already in employment, the question is when to give notice?

When the offer is made (immediately now), when all the checks and getting have been done... or from when the contract is delivered?

They might want you to start on say, 30th May, but a contract might only arrive on 20th May.

What are people thinking?

I have told most relevant people in my job but haven't formally handed in my notice, and I am expecting to have to work full 4 weeks from handing in notice so hoping we hear something soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

Just got an offer. Was 72 in southern if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nyx122

For people already in employment, the question is when to give notice?

When the offer is made (immediately now), when all the checks and getting have been done... or from when the contract is delivered?

They might want you to start on say, 30th May, but a contract might only arrive on 20th May.

What are people thinking?

I won’t be giving my notice until I’ve got official offer- even if that’s the contract emailed to me- as long as I’ve got it in black and white/in writing. I’ve told my 2 references only but not telling anyone else until it’s completely official. I know the lady who was talking to me on the phone said they want us in ASAP but at this stage it’s been a fairly long process, I have to give 4-6 weeks notice. I know from here there are people going on holiday etc. too..

Anyone get Garda vetting back yet..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Nyx122 wrote: »
    Anyone get Garda vetting back yet..?

It hasn't moved in a week. You can track it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

It hasn't moved in a week. You can track it online

Just seen that mine, submitted on Tuesday, has now been sent to NVB by PAS, so hopefully thats the start of a move on. Reading that the vetting can be done in 5 days or so

Yea mine was submitted last Tuesday so was hoping it would be done today but refreshing and refreshing and no movement... hopefully tomorrow.... really want to get my notice in!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

I guess this everyone starting together business isn't going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mj88g

Did the vetting process last year for coaching kids in local gaa club and it took about 3 weeks to be sorted, however surely the PAS have a more direct route to it than other orgs like the GAA for example.

Weird that we haven’t even been asked for our degrees considering it’s a graduate scheme. Or maybe we’ve handed them up already at an earlier stage. It’s been such a long process I bearly remember !

• Advertisement

mj88g wrote: »
    Did the vetting process last year for coaching kids in local gaa club and it took about 3 weeks to be sorted, however surely the PAS have a more direct route to it than other orgs like the GAA for example.

Oh no I hope it doesn’t take 3 weeks! They say on the Garda vetting site that last year 2017 they did 95% of e-vetting within 5 working days....

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    Weird that we haven’t even been asked for our degrees considering it’s a graduate scheme. Or maybe we’ve handed them up already at an earlier stage. It’s been such a long process I bearly remember !

Did you give your degree at interview? Also when did you get your offer? Just as I’ve been asked for mine but was asked a good few days after asked for other paperwork. (Edited to say I didn’t have it with me at interview and was told that was fine but they’d need it at a later date)

Also as for the same start date for everyone- the lady I spoke to said they were unsure of particular start date as depended on individual circumstances and considering some people were contacted very early last week and some people only being contacted today I’m not sure how they could possibly have everyone start together. I’m assuming they get everyone in first over the coming several weeks and then have an orientation after that.. although I could be completely wrong!!

Did you give your degree at interview? Also when did you get your offer? Just as I’ve been asked for mine but was asked a good few days after asked for other paperwork. (Edited to say I didn’t have it with me at interview and was told that was fine but they’d need it at a later date)

Also as for the same start date for everyone- the lady I spoke to said they were unsure of particular start date as depended on individual circumstances and considering some people were contacted very early last week and some people only being contacted today I’m not sure how they could possibly have everyone start together. I’m assuming they get everyone in first over the coming several weeks and then have an orientation after that.. although I could be completely wrong!!

Ahh okay I only got my paperwork early this week and because I am having to organise my own criminal background check for my time in another country it will probably take me a few days longer. Would you mind my asking what else they ask you for after the initial round of paperwork? I know I gave my degrees somewhere at interview but can't remember if it was this job or somewhere else!

Just my original qualifications

Just my original qualifications

Ah cool. I was expecting they would contact a bunch of references too but seemingly they'll only be calling my present employer to verify employment dates

Ah cool. I was expecting they would contact a bunch of references too but seemingly they'll only be calling my present employer to verify employment dates

Oh good to know that too that’s its just to verify actually as my current manager on maternity leave so the one who’s covering her can do that I’m sure.

Today marks the 6th working day since my vetting was sent; this whole process has been one big wait after the next lolol.

Has anyone been told or figured out what grade / level we're going in as? And do we know is this salary fixed for the 3 years or will it go up at some stage?

Has anyone been told or figured out what grade / level we're going in as? And do we know is this salary fixed for the 3 years or will it go up at some stage?

I can't remember who, but I recall someone confirmed it was Grade 4. Although I might have imagined the confirmation.

I think someone also said there were annual increments, but once again I can't recall whom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

I guess this everyone starting together business isn't going ahead?

Finally, I can contribute some information rather than receive it from everyone on here:D:confused:

The man that called me with my 'offer' /under consideration said that they want people to start ASAP but due to my low ranking (50 odd in the Border region) that he reckons I'll be starting later than others and that I should expect to wait 4 to 6 weeks to start (from this week).

I've just sent off all the documentation they asked for, for vetting etc.
    Is it a case now of just ticking boxes their end or is there a doubt that that this 'under consideration' wording can change to an offer being taken away?

I see someone mention, contacting a current employer to confirm dates, I thought they were calling them for a reference?(-I don't know this, I was guessing)

So is the vetting forms etc. I've posted off today the last hurdle I have to face before a full offer is given.?
    Handing in notice where I am is my main concern, as I don't want to delay the inevitable longer than I have to, but at same time, I don't want to hand in my notice until an offer is confirmed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thepipette

The grade is roughly analogous to Grade 4, based on the salary. The salary is fixed. I don't understand all the confusion about this, it was stated in the information booklet.

• Advertisement

thepipette wrote: »
    The grade is roughly analogous to Grade 4, based on the salary. The salary is fixed. I don't understand all the confusion about this, it was stated in the information booklet.

The grade isn't stated. Only the salary. I understand the starting rate as per the booklet but there was no mention of yearly increments or anything which is why I wondered if this might be the case.

shineon23 wrote: »
    Finally, I can contribute some information rather than receive it from everyone on here:D:confused:

The man that called me with my 'offer' /under consideration said that they want people to start ASAP but due to my low ranking (50 odd in the Border region) that he reckons I'll be starting later than others and that I should expect to wait 4 to 6 weeks to start (from this week).

Is it a case now of just ticking boxes their end or is there a doubt that that this 'under consideration' wording can change to an offer being taken away?

I see someone mention, contacting a current employer to confirm dates, I thought they were calling them for a reference?(-I don't know this, I was guessing)

So is the vetting forms etc. I've posted off today the last hurdle I have to face before a full offer is given.?
    Handing in notice where I am is my main concern, as I don't want to delay the inevitable longer than I have to, but at same time, I don't want to hand in my notice until an offer is confirmed:(

Congrats on your assignment! I was reassured multiple times in the one conversation with the person who called to offer me the position that my current employer would only be called to confirm employment dates. There was no mention of other references or anything.

shineon23 wrote: »

Yea I think a lot of us are in the same predicament. I’ve been advised not to give my notice until official offer. At the same time I’ve told a manager to expect references checks, but a bit sorry I did that so soon now as awkward now. Have been told aswell that they want us in ASAP, but considering how long the vetting is taking and that most people would have to give at least 4 weeks notice I’m not sure how that’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thepipette

The grade isn't stated. Only the salary. I understand the starting rate as per the booklet but there was no mention of yearly increments or anything which is why I wondered if this might be the case.

The booklet said it's a single point scale, meaning no increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sineadb1990

Hi all,

I’m just wondering are people still getting offer calls? I’m in the top 40 for two regions - border and southern and haven’t received a call yet so I’m thinking I’m probably not going to at this stage and it may be down to the skills area I chose. I contacted PAS and they said contact again if I haven’t heard anything towards the end of this week. I’m awfully nervous and pretty much staring at my phone!

Hi all,

I’m just wondering are people still getting offer calls? I’m in the top 40 for two regions - border and southern and haven’t received a call yet so I’m thinking I’m probably not going to at this stage and it may be down to the skills area I chose. I contacted PAS and they said contact again if I haven’t heard anything towards the end of this week. I’m awfully nervous and pretty much staring at my phone!

Sorry to hear you've been waiting. I know what that felt like the dreaded not knowing is torture! If I were you Sinead I'd chance calling again and asking them to tell you once and for all what number they're planning to reach for your skillset /region and if you were on track to get an offer or not. They were very informative when I rang but I think it depends who you've spoken to. The people on the grad local government campaign were much more helpful than the people in clearance for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sineadb1990

Sorry to hear you've been waiting. I know what that felt like the dreaded not knowing is torture! If I were you Sinead I'd chance calling again and asking them to tell you once and for all what number they're planning to reach for your skillset /region and if you were on track to get an offer or not. They were very informative when I rang but I think it depends who you've spoken to. The people on the grad local government campaign were much more helpful than the people in clearance for instance

Hi, thank you for reply and good advice! I rang them and they were very helpful they said they reached my name on the OOM but unfortunately no councils in the regions I selected had requested marketing and communications skillset. Really disappointing but at least I know now! :)

Hi, thank you for reply and good advice! I rang them and they were very helpful they said they reached my name on the OOM but unfortunately no councils in the regions I selected had requested marketing and communications skillset. Really disappointing but at least I know now! :)

I'm glad you found out all the same. There definitely seemed to be more jobs in certain skill areas. Its a pity.

Just wondering.... has anyone received a Start Date..... or an inkling of a likely Start Date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 corvettenut

Not a word from PAS in over a week, e-vetting still not back. I assume that there will be no formal offers until all that paperwork has cleared.

Advertisement