Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

He's fantastic - he had another song that came out last month that I've played to death:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

peteeeed wrote: »

please have good beats, please have good beats, please have good beats, please have good beats, please have good beats.

I just took a quick skim through, beats are not bad, some bass heavy ones which i dig.

But i'm upset with the skkkiiirrtttt ad-libs. This ad-lib **** has to stop. Everybody is doing it now, I was shocked and aghast to hear that Jay & Beyonce had it in that new song of theirs. Then I found out that it was a Migos song that they took, stripped the Migos off and left in their ad-libs.

• Advertisement

Jay Rock - Redemption is savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

News this week about the death of XxxTentasion. He was shot in his car as he was leaving a motorcycle dealership in Florida. He was just 20 years old.

I hadn't listened to the lads music until after his death. For me Its arguably not even hip-hop, It's more like a soft, morbid style of alt rock

xxxtentacion-press-photo-2018-billboard-1548.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Redemption is pushing KOD for album of the year so far for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A lot of hip hop lately has sort of veered into a strange mix of RNB or emo rock and rapping vocals. I quite like the combo myself. Lil Peep had some bangers in that vein as well.

Win Win Win Win - **** everything else :D

• Advertisement

New YG

Whenever Jay Rock & Kendrick get on a track the flow is unreal

The track 'Wow freestyle' shows the two of them at their best

I've been listening to Ye a bit and think it's a big pile of gick.

I'm sorry Kanye, but stop using 'haa' at the end of every line to form the rhyme pattern. It's nearly getting to Snoop spelling out his name levels.

I've heard that the lyrics were only written for the album 8 days before release, it sounds like it. In fact, the whole thing sounds like it was rushed and cobbled together.

It sounds like all the focus went into Kids See Ghosts and Pusha....well actually, the beats on Pusha's are very simple. It works though.

Still haven't listened to Nasir yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm sorry Kanye, but stop using 'haa' at the end of every line to form the rhyme pattern. It's nearly getting to Snoop spelling out his name levels.

Hey-ah, It-ah worked-ah, for forty years-ah, for Mister-ah Mark E-ah Smith-ah, of the Fall-ah, THE FALL-AH!

:D
    .454245.jpg

MF DOOM x DJ Muggs f/ Freddie Gibbs

New album coming out by the looks of things

I also seen something in Instagram that Meyhem Lauren was going to pick Madlib beats for a full album.

I've been listening to Ye a bit and think it's a big pile of gick.

I've heard that the lyrics were only written for the album 8 days before release, it sounds like it. In fact, the whole thing sounds like it was rushed and cobbled together.

It sounds like all the focus went into Kids See Ghosts and Pusha....well actually, the beats on Pusha's are very simple. It works though.

Still haven't listened to Nasir yet.

Leave Snoop out this! :pac:
    Beast!

I do love Snoop, but I'll just point out that he spelled out his name twice in that video :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

What do people think of the talk that This Is America might be a rip off of this track? I have to say, it's a very unique beat and is suspiciously similar - even the flow. But more than that.... this Jase Harley dude is pretty damn sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

JaMarcus wrote: »
    What do people think of the talk that This Is America might be a rip off of this track? I have to say, it's a very unique beat and is suspiciously similar - even the flow. But more than that.... this Jase Harley dude is pretty damn sick!

Plausible for sure, they both do sound very similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

kanye has just released 4 albums  from the lieks of nas, pusha T, himself and kidd kudi. O and also some pop rnb chick

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Plausible for sure, they both do sound very similar

Apparently the This Is America beat was recorded 3 years ago, this version that has surfaced is 2 years old.

I'm sure they are tied together somehow, but I really don't see Gambino lifting a song.

kanye has just released 4 albums from the lieks of nas, pusha T, himself and kidd kudi. O and also some pop rnb chick

Taylor is actually a big deal in America. She's going out with one of the big basketball players, has a reality TV show, choreographed Beyonce videos, signed to Pharells label before GOOD Music.

She's just not well known over here.

Apparently the This Is America beat was recorded 3 years ago, this version that has surfaced is 2 years old.

I'm sure they are tied together somehow, but I really don't see Gambino lifting a song.

The 3 years claim was quickly removed and no mention of it since. The two songs are incredibly similar and I hope it's not a case of an artist ripping off another but it's so common who knows.

Yeah, but there are some songs that end up sounding the same based on a sample. There's a song called 'I'm Back For More' by Leo Sunshipp, there are 3 songs I know of that sample it and performed by Action Bronson, Trek Life and Blu.
    They all use the sample in the same way and all 3 songs sound nearly identical.....the 'wow' part probably helps in this regard.

A friend of mine who is a producer found that sample years ago and made the same beat as the others without hearing them, it's actually when he heard the Trek Life song is when he shelved it.

So one little sample can dictate the sound of a song and how a rapper will react when it comes to writing to the piece.

It's possible that this is what happened here as well.

A few years ago before the big Migos/Mumble Rap influence, alot of producers where using noises rather than drums which is what these 2 songs are built off.

Yeah, but there are some songs that end up sounding the same based on a sample. There's a song called 'I'm Back For More' by Leo Sunshipp, there are 3 songs I know of that sample it and performed by Action Bronson, Trek Life and Blu.
    They all use the sample in the same way and all 3 songs sound nearly identical.....the 'wow' part probably helps in this regard.

A friend of mine who is a producer found that sample years ago and made the same beat as the others without hearing them, it's actually when he heard the Trek Life song is when he shelved it.

So one little sample can dictate the sound of a song and how a rapper will react when it comes to writing to the piece.

It's possible that this is what happened here as well.

A few years ago before the big Migos/Mumble Rap influence, alot of producers where using noises rather than drums which is what these 2 songs are built off.

In this case, it's so much more than the beat, the use of the soul to melodic to bass boosted chorus, the African chanting used throughout, the intonation and flow are very similar and the manner in which both modulate their voices in identical manners. If you play them atop one another they work really well together, I mean really well that when I listened to American Pharoah a couple of weeks back for the firs time in years I actually thought it was This is America.

I hope it's not a case that Glover heard it and then ripped it off and I would be very interested to hear these pro Tools recordings from 3 years back. One thing I will say is fair play to Jase Harley, he comes across very well in this whole thing and it's Gambino whose silence is actually doing more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's quite easy to have heard something before, forget it and then end up doing something that overlaps. This one sounds very on the nose in several respects.

However yer man doesn't seem very litigious. His song doesn't sound like a pop hit but glovers does. Hip hop used to get away with this flipping existing things and making them hookier. Same with Led Zeppelin or ACDC they'd most of those big riffs jacked off more obscure bands but tweaked well.

Sampling is already massively expensive to the point it's barely happening anymore. I don't really know how I feel about this kind of thing. Label should kick him a few quid settlement but then they'll have a thousand people trying to claim ownership of all their other hits.

Label should kick him a few quid settlement but then they'll have a thousand people trying to claim ownership of all their other hits.

That's going to happen no matter what. Look at the high profile lawsuits against Ed Sheehan, Sam Smith and Taylor Swift amongst others.

Only Kanye can afford to sample big hits :)
    Apparently he didn't get clearance for a sample on the new Taylor album so he could be in trouble over that.

The guy though seems to not care, but that tune may change.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote:
    The guy though seems to not care, but that tune may change.

Never really seems about the money with him but I imagine that Glover's response will dictate how it plays out. If they batten down the hatches and go full on offensive I can see him taking the gloves off and rightly so.

Advertisement