Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Loving that new Redman track

Would love a new album

It's coming soon. Muddy Waters Too. This song is the 2nd single.
    I just hope there is some Eric Sermon production on it. I heard that it was all supposed to be produced by him, but the 2 songs so far have not.
    Maybe they aren't on the album and just some warmer uppers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New Rocky x Tyler is kind of like a pisstake of obtuse word play. I don't know what people are saying in half the American rap battles these days.

Yeah I like that Rocky/Tyler song, really good.

I haven't got a clue what most rappers are talking about these days. I watch Every Day Struggle and have to stop watching when they are interviewing people.
    They had Russ on this week, I had to turn it off because I didn't have a clue what he was saying and he would just finish a sentence half way through it.
    They have Denzel Curry and someone else this week as well and I've watched snippets and decided not to watch as they cant string a sentence together.

Also watched a Joe Budden interview with Vince Staples, I was completely lost at time because of the obtuse slang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭fitzparker

the Rocky/Tyler beat is an old Kanye beat he did for Monica called Knock knock.

He also did his own song over it called Apologize on his freshman adjustment mixtape.

useless fact there lads

I like those type of tidbits though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yeah I like that Rocky/Tyler song, really good.

I haven't got a clue what most rappers are talking about these days. I watch Every Day Struggle and have to stop watching when they are interviewing people.
    They had Russ on this week, I had to turn it off because I didn't have a clue what he was saying and he would just finish a sentence half way through it.
    They have Denzel Curry and someone else this week as well and I've watched snippets and decided not to watch as they cant string a sentence together.

Also watched a Joe Budden interview with Vince Staples, I was completely lost at time because of the obtuse slang.

A lot of rappers like e-40 or Mozzy are constantly inventing slang. Likes of DOOM I believe have some some old books he draws them from or else he's watching loads of old movies. That's pretty reasonable. It's more the wordplay that loses me. Guys are mixing gun, sports and drug references then substituting them with other words (that have to be pronounced incorrectly) to force double and triple meanings from the same line. It's super cool when done well but when done constantly they end up sounding damn near incomprehensible. I guess it's the logical end point of punchline rap which can be very corny if done too directly.

It's hilarious how inarticulate some rappers are in interviews. I'm a big Peewee Longway fan and it's like he's from another planet. Doesn't pronounce anything, wears a grille all the time and generally doesn't ever answer the question being asked it's like he's being interviewed by a cop.

• Advertisement

DOOM reaches from Japanese comics like Godzilla. I think there is a new Godzilla movie coming out based on King Gidorah, DOOM released an album under the alias King Geedorah.

I don't get the sports references at all in modern hip hop :) It makes Action Bronson difficult to listen to because you don't know if he's talking about a basketball player or an ancient Egyptian truffle.

E-40's slang was beautiful, you could actually tell what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

New Mac Miller album out, going to give it a listen this morning.

New Edan and Homeboy Sandman, they have an album lined up to come out as well called Humble Pi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Travis Scott's new album Astroworld is very good. Incredible production.

• Anyone listen to YG's new album 'Stay Dangerous' Yet?

• Advertisement

Anyone listen to YG's new album 'Stay Dangerous' Yet?

Not yet, it's on the 'to listen to' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭fitzparker

New one from kanye

I'm not listening to anything new from Kanye after the mountain of sh*te music that he has been involved in lately.

I'm done with him.

Yeah. Don't.
    Not even sure what that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

nice new freestyle from new tipp rapper/producer , gavin da vinci

https://soundcloud.com/gavindoylemusic/hakeem-freestyle-1

like the way he switches up the drums and snares over the relentless - nas beat .

if u get to gawk through his soundcloud its well worth it , the production for someone brand new is v promising and the raps arent bad either

Album released by Ka, going by the name Hermit and the Recluse.

My first listen was while running, lots of nice wordplay referring to his life through the lens of greek myths/stories. Will take a few listens i think, but the almost vague production and beats blend in perfectly with the understated almost wispy vocals and doesn't overpower them.

Will definitely give this one another couple of listens and delve deeper to the lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ElecUnderground

as featured in Hotpress today.

One for the Pope!

Bleak Stack:

• Video for Rotation 112!

Oh And new Redman!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

New Eminem album has dropped exec produced by Dre ‘ kamikaze

album cover
    ejvk1uxcmszhbsqkmcla.jpg

440px-Eminem_-_Kamikaze.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Listening to it now, enjoying it so far anyway :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'm actually looking forward to listening to the Em album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Listened through it there, gonna give it a few more spins but on first listen it's much better than Revival (very low bar to clear but still).

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    https://noveliss.bandcamp.com/album/cerebral-apex

New from Noveliss from Clear Soul Forces, decent

Nice one, I'll give this a spin, there were 2 people in CSF that were immediately the talent, Nove and Illajide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

First few songs are the best, last 3 are on first listen, very poor.

• Advertisement

• Just listened to the first 4 tracks

Pure venom!!

Advertisement