Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 x BEV family

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

All depends if you have bonus protection or not ,how much your excess is or how much is a new bumper and how much are you willing to pay ?
    Me I just get my local panel beater to repair the bumper and replace the black bit and take the hit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

peposhi wrote: »
    What way do you normally fix that? Never had to deal with a damage like this on a new car. It’s only 2 months old tomorrow

Ideally a new bumper but that’s not going to be cheap.

It doesn’t look that bad. I know it’s only 2 months old but I’d just get it repaired. It will fix perfectly without a full replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Every cloud has a silver lining. Bird roast diner tonight :)

If you have bonus protection, just claim and have it fixed to perfection. We had a small claim like that when our brand new Ioniq was just over a month old. Barely affected our renewal premium the next year and we are totally claim free again (>3 years with no claims) in a month or so, so free to move to another insurer based on zero claims ("have you had a claim in the last 3 years?")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

adunis wrote: »
    All depends if you have bonus protection or not ,how much your excess is or how much is a new bumper and how much are you willing to pay ?
    Me I just get my local panel beater to repair the bumper and replace the black bit and take the hit

No bonus protection, €300 excess
    Will be getting a quote from Kia, local lad I know, perhaps another one to compare with... there will be a hit, no matter what...

KCross wrote: »
    Ideally a new bumper but that’s not going to be cheap.

It doesn’t look that bad. I know it’s only 2 months old but I’d just get it repaired. It will fix perfectly without a full replacement.

I’d definitely look to get it repaired. It’s just bad timing...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Every cloud has a silver lining. Bird roast diner tonight :)

If you have bonus protection, just claim and have it fixed to perfection. We had a small claim like that when our brand new Ioniq was just over a month old. Barely affected our renewal premium the next year and we are totally claim free again (>3 years with no claims) in a month or so, so free to move to another insurer based on zero claims ("have you had a claim in the last 3 years?")

The f...ker got dismembered when it got stuck in the bumper. At least if it was there as one whole piece :)
    I’m very lucky it was not a dear as there plenty of them in the area...

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The f...ker got dismembered when it got stuck in the bumper. At least if it was there as one whole piece :)
    I’m very lucky it was not a dear as there plenty of them in the area...

Got used to the lack of cars during this "lockdown" of sorts. Couldn't even hear you coming!

Got used to the lack of cars during this "lockdown" of sorts. Couldn't even hear you coming!

Lads, do not crash the front of your Kias or you are going to have to sell your Soul to pay for the repair.
    The little pheasant crash is going to cost me circa €1900. And it’s not the labour and paint that is the problem - it’s the parts... e.g. there’s a tiny silver strip around the front grill, I mean tiny!, and it costs more than €500. More than the whole bumper which is just short of €400....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ouch

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lads, do not crash the front of your Kias or you are going to have to sell your Soul to pay for the repair.
    The little pheasant crash is going to cost me circa €1900. And it’s not the labour and paint that is the problem - it’s the parts... e.g. there’s a tiny silver strip around the front grill, I mean tiny!, and it costs more than €500. More than the whole bumper which is just short of €400....

Some idiot knocked the wing mirror off our Sportage. I think it was about €800 to fix from an independent. :eek:

These kind of incidents are so irritating because there's no way out of the loss - if you claim off insurance you lose more over a few years of lost NCB than if you'd just paid it out of pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's why there is no claims protection. Surely everyone buying a new car gets that? Claim and it won't affect your premium. But it is a claim and you won't be able to change insurer for 3 years. The claim will "only" cost you the excess on the policy, which is typically EUR250.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The amount of people who pay for fully comp but are too scared to ever make a claim. We pay for bonus protection on both policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

liamog wrote: »
    We pay for bonus protection on both policies!
    How much does it add?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Lumen wrote: »
    How much does it add?

Mine cost me €20.57 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    The amount of people who pay for fully comp but are too scared to ever make a claim. We pay for bonus protection on both policies!
    Same.
    Especially with a new EV or a high priced one like a tesla, every little thing will be expensive to repair so unlikely to not go through insurance.
    Full NCB protection is a must.

unkel wrote: »
    That's why there is no claims protection. Surely everyone buying a new car gets that? Claim and it won't affect your premium. But it is a claim and you won't be able to change insurer for 3 years. The claim will "only" cost you the excess on the policy, which is typically EUR250.

Fully comprehensive with €600 and no NCBP on the policy (never had one for the last 16 years) makes it worthless claiming through the insurance. Lesson learnt I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

900 for a trim strip ?,I'd be getting creative and making a replacement,I don't care if the car is 2 months old

adunis wrote: »
    900 for a trim strip ?,I'd be getting creative and making a replacement,I don't care if the car is 2 months old

The front bumper has a serious amount of parts joined togethe. Just the section I crashed has 6...

Advertisement