Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 x BEV family

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

peposhi wrote: »
    Technically speaking I was in a queue so I was not expecting to get any charge. My first thought was: F..., Tesla at a ChaDeMo... 1-2 hours wait!
    I needed charge as the Houston station had 2 ports busy, Newlands was out, Naas was too far, wife and son in the car, so I was getting sweaty over lack of leccy, especially after deciding not to go the REx route. When I got closer I saw there’s a driver in the car, so I asked the him how long he’d be... he said he has plenty so he left...

Honest...why didn't used the Rex option !?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

rolion wrote: »
    Honest...why didn't used the Rex option !?

Cause I don’t have it :)
    I drive a Leaf
    The REx I drove it’s still in the dealer’s shop where it will remain until someone else decides to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks to that Tesla that let you charge your Nissan at the Nissan dealers fast charger which is meant only for Nissans? :)
    Nissan have posted the opposite of this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ah I know. Bit cheeky though of a Tesla to charge there. But obviously a gentleman, that he let OP charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Peposhi as posted in the other threads, the new VW range will be here soon and could be something for you to look at.

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Peposhi as posted in the other threads, the new VW range will be here soon and could be something for you to look at.

The more options, the merrier!

It is exciting times ahead of us and ideally I’d like to have an option to buy an A4 Avant size of an EV with 400+ km range

My BOH came up today and asked what I think about installing and PV system and battery 🀔 My jaw dropped in aye, caught me completely unprepared and I was very shallow in my amswers.
    I need to get my info straight before I comeback to her with a big YES or a big NO (yet).
    Could you guys point me where to look for information, please. A link or discussion that is worth reading...
    What system realistically can charge the Ls and power the house...

@peposhi

PV panels system are great for the eco, less for your pocket, as a ROI but improved apparently with a electrical car.

Main question to ask, if you have an EV already...when are you using the car, day time...as when the Sun shines and the panels harvests, your car is not connected to your home charger, isn't !? And then, when is connected, everyone at home using electrical appliances, reducing the spare generative electricity from panels to be diverted to your car.

To size a PV array,well a L24 takes 3.5Kwh to charge 30km in the batteries over an hour, at home.
    I guess you will need a 5Kwh array to get that juice in the car, safely and somehow guaranteed summer time.

@peposhi

PV panels system are great for the eco, less for your pocket, as a ROI but improved apparently with a electrical car.

Main question to ask, if you have an EV already...when are you using the car, day time...as when the Sun shines and the panels harvests, your car is not connected to your home charger, isn't !? And then, when is connected, everyone at home using electrical appliances, reducing the spare generative electricity from panels to be diverted to your car.

To size a PV array,well a L24 takes 3.5Kwh to charge 30km in the batteries over an hour, at home.
    I guess you will need a 5Kwh array to get that juice in the car, safely and somehow guaranteed summer time.

I am still getting my head around all options, sizes, batteries etc.

During the day there’s no much drawing in the house apart from one electric shower and TV so I guess whenever one of the Leafs is at home it can charge directly from the PV system.
    Not sure if I could select where the produced electricity to be used first and be passed on to the next set of appliances if there’s no drawing.
    Or battery to be used during the day and to continue charging my cars during the night...
    It is all blurry in my head how this all would work. I have no one around with a working set up to ask so it’s gotta be here where i’d learn it all...

• Advertisement

Read through the link posted by unkel above.
    Take a good cup of coffee and go trough it...get basic definition and associated elements digested before committing.

I have PVs and I can say I'm happy to get them make use for the house needs.
    EV, whenever I need it timewise, well it has to get its share. Is not like a diverter for hot water, i can wait until is 50ish to get a shower.

Therefore, I f the car stays longer at home during the Sun peaks, yes it will work and produce a return.
    If the car(s) are not at home during that period, it may still work but longer RoI or disappointed charge for the car's batteries versus driving range.

And, please forget about batteries for the house to charge the car...not feasible at all.

You keep saying that, but your figure of 5kwp isn't really based on anything. Most electric cars can AC charge at 6A, which is about 1.4kW. So for most households a 2kwp array could charge the EV and the base load of the home

Obviously if you want to charge your EV fully on a good summers day, you will need a very large array. This is not only expensive, but it also requires planning permission.

unkel wrote: »
    You keep saying that, but your figure of 5kwp isn't really based on anything. Most electric cars can AC charge at 6A, which is about 1.4kW. So for most households a 2kwp array could charge the EV and the base load of the home

Obviously if you want to charge your EV fully on a good summers day, you will need a very large array. This is not only expensive, but it also requires planning permission.

We've been here before...and you never show me any figure to contra-argument my figures based on anything.

I'm basing my "mathematical" assumptions of 5kwp array on:
    house load: 1kw
    car charging: 3.4kw
    others: remaining, unknowns...
    If you want to spend a fortune to charge your car with a 1.4kw...well, is doable and i wish you a long and happy marriage and lots of patience !

Can you show me your last few charging rates and timeframe , and power produced by your PV, these days !?
    My array makes enough to keep inverter warm.

Summer time, it may reach 4.5KWh from certain times of day, of course when the car is not at home.But,wait..my EV cars arrives at afternoon times, when PV power is gone under 2kwh...should I power my kettle to make a tea ..or...get my car charged for tomorrow !? ( sarcasm off ) … or make sure I have enough PV array to do both !? Dunno if the car charger likes the UPs and DOWNs variations of the power cycling PV vs grid, never seen a report.

And, Saint Nicholas and my God are my witness as this is last time posting and nicely arguing with you here on boards..
    My 5Kwp array will charge my car at your quoted 1.4KWh on 9 out of 12 but probable your 2kw array will charge it maybe 3 out of 12. Thats why I don't understand EV owners buying Zappi chargers as they will use it with solar !! What solar, 2kwpp array !?? Good luck with that and waiting for first reports of the systems.

Hmm...hard to agree, maybe we can have a coffee around Lucan FCP charger some warm sunny day and harvest it from there !? :)

God Bless and take care, Christmas is gone and we are alive, looking for writing next year "to do" list...

LOL at your post - best wishes to you for the new year :)

The payback time of what you have spent on your renewables is about 50 years. Fair play to you for being green, but not many people would subscribe to that point of view. I like renewables, we all should do a lot more of them, I'm trying to do my bit, but not at any cost. I have only got 1.65kwp installed at the moment (2 arrays of 3 panels each, DIY) and I'd like to go bigger soon. The head rules the mind here though. The figures must make (some) sense for me to go for it. My first array had a ROI of about 5 years. My second one about 7 years. For most people these figures would be way longer (my base load is much higher than normal) and they wouldn't make much (financial) sense. Your house load figure of 1kW is about 5 times higher than what is normal BTW. Unless you have some unusual hobbies like me, that figure is way off...

Was driving locally behind a car and here we go - a stone went flying and knocking off the windscreen. Have a smallish nice chunk gone and a smiley crack underneath. Only missing a second dot to make an eye of an emoji lol
    Called the insurer, no problem replacing it. They’d even come to my place and do it if I wanted to. The question is how does a replaced windscreen devalue a car?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No effect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was driving locally behind a car and here we go - a stone went flying and knocking off the windscreen. Have a smallish nice chunk gone and a smiley crack underneath. Only missing a second dot to make an eye of an emoji lol
    Called the insurer, no problem replacing it. They’d even come to my place and do it if I wanted to. The question is how does a replaced windscreen devalue a car?!?

No effect at all. Just make sure it’s fitted correctly and check for wind noise immediately after fitting.

No connection to 2 x BEVs...
    I went looking for a Volvo S80 years ago.
    Checked around the car and found that the windscreen wasn't marked as VOLVO badge but rather some third party company / manufacturer.
    It was a compatible screen, no doubt but it opened my eyes and eventually found more issues with the car.

My previous Espace windscreen had to be replaced 2 times with some compatible types as it just created problems, wind noise and water leaking. They had eventually to fit a brand new Renault badged.

If a car does not have original screen stamp,i will be suspicious.

No connection to 2 x BEVs...
    I went looking for a Volvo S80 years ago.
    Checked around the car and found that the windscreen wasn't marked as VOLVO badge but rather some third party company / manufacturer.
    It was a compatible screen, no doubt but it opened my eyes and eventually found more issues with the car.

My previous Espace windscreen had to be replaced 2 times with some compatible types as it just created problems, wind noise and water leaking. They had eventually to fit a brand new Renault badged.

If a car does not have original screen stamp,i will be suspicious.

And probably this is my biggest worry. It won’t be fit properly and neither of the installers uses OEM windscreen with a badge on. I was told it’s the same size, shape, model windscreen and comes from the same factory but there’s no badge...

Well...

Went to do first NCT on my L30. Failed on brake discs corrosion...
    €160 for discs only or €230 for disks and pads to fix and then retest...

That’s actually the firs money I have to put for maintenance on this car 72000km later apart from a set of tires at 55000k. Not bad at all...

• Advertisement

Is this just because the discs are used so little? Would they polish up if you turned off regen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Or slammed on brakes really hard, a few times when safe to do so?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My e-Up has drum brakes on the rear, if I don't drive for a week I have to give it a heavy brake to free them up.

If you park up any car for a few days the discs will rust. It seems harsh if EVs start failing because of this as the better the driver the less the discs will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Are there any preventative maintenance tips that anyone is aware of. I guess if they are rusty means the won't work effectively it is better to fail an nct than fail to stop.

Well...

Went to do first NCT on my L30. Failed on brake discs corrosion...

The only thing I ever do before an NCT is an Italian tune-up. On my way over to the test centre. This involves letting the engine warm up and then driving it very hard, reaching high RPMs to heat up the engine properly and clean out the exhaust system, all to improve emissions (in an ICE) and brake the hell out of it (in both ICE and EV)

Could have passed the test that way. But if you're keeping the car, might as well get new pads and discs. They'll probably last another 70k km...

Then it's a problem EVs will have in general but haven't heard of it as an issue. Maybe inspector was just a PITA. But good to know and give them a polish before NCT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Could just be surface rust that makes it look worse than it is, unkel's Italian tune should solve any issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely the NCT know the difference between corrosion and a bit of surface rust? Any kind of drive will clear up surface rust.

• Advertisement

With an EV you're going to have to brake hard enough to get past the regen. The discs on our Ioniq can look pretty bad during the winter.

Advertisement