Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 x BEV family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

peposhi wrote: »
    I don't get what's the bloody problem with getting a hardwired dash cam fitted.
    Called the dealer and questioned the issue and got told that it technically(?!?) voids the warranty but they will look at it when I stop by the service center next time... I looked at the fuse boxes on the K3 and there's a good few spares that can hold various loads...

Its quite simple really, the manufacturer is only transferring the risk back to you. No way will they stand over the warranty for a 3rd party product installed by a 3rd party unknown. Basically the warranty is voided if your installation fecks up one of the car systems or even indirectly. If its not the root cause then you have warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

krissovo wrote: »
    Its quite simple really, the manufacturer is only transferring the risk back to you. No way will they stand over the warranty for a 3rd party product installed by a 3rd party unknown. Basically the warranty is voided if your installation fecks up one of the car systems or even indirectly. If its not the root cause then you have warranty.

Which leads me to think that the Kia lads are frightened not to feck up something - they would not install puddle lights (which are actually advertise in their brochure) and are hesitant installing a dash cam...
    And both of these jobs are a in the “no bother to do” list for an ICE...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

They're in the no bother to do list for a ev as well.

NEWSFLASH the12V services system in an ev is the exact same as an ICE with the obvious exception of how the 12v battery is charged.

Your issue is either
    A)they're scared of litigation
    B)they can't scratch themselves re:retarded shows no common sense bureaucracy that the whole world is drowning in.
    C)they're useless modern "technicians"who don't actually understand anything and just follow the instruction book which they clearly don't have in this instance.

adunis wrote: »
    They're in the no bother to do list for a ev as well.

NEWSFLASH the12V services system in an ev is the exact same as an ICE with the obvious exception of how the 12v battery is charged.

Your issue is either
    A)they're scared of litigation
    B)they can't scratch themselves re:retarded shows no common sense bureaucracy that the whole world is drowning in.
    C)they're useless modern "technicians"who don't actually understand anything and just follow the instruction book which they clearly don't have in this instance.

I think I’m going to go ahead and just do it myself.

A leccy man I had doing a bit of work in the house strongly advised against fitting a second 7.2kw home charger. Too risky he said.
    We are managing so far with the granny and the 32ah cable.
    I may just leave it all together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

A leccy man I had doing a bit of work in the house strongly advised against fitting a second 7.2kw home charger. Too risky he said.
    We are managing so far with the granny and the 32ah cable.
    I may just leave it all together

Leccy man is talking out of his hoop.......

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

adunis wrote: »
    Leccy man is talking out of his hoop.......

No he's not. If you have 2 x 7.2kw car chargers running at the same time, it'll blow your main fuse (assuming you've 62A main fuse). You'll need some protection device, either load limiting built into at least one charger or some priority switch. Or just install one of the chargers as a 16A charger.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If I was fitting our home charge point today, I'd go for two EO Mini's on a vertical pole and fit an EO ALM to manage the balancing between the two.

I like the EO Mini's because they are so small, the ALM product seems like a good solution and would allow me to share up to 40A across the two charging station and ramp down from the 40A when the house limit is approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

_dof_ wrote: »
    No he's not. If you have 2 x 7.2kw car chargers running at the same time, it'll blow your main fuse (assuming you've 62A main fuse). You'll need some protection device, either load limiting built into at least one charger or some priority switch. Or just install one of the chargers as a 16A charger.

He kinda is talking through his hoop. The comment was "... advised against fitting a second 7.2kw home charger. Too risky he said."

Its not risky at all. You just need to do what you said.... put in a load sensing charge point or priority switch. There is no risk in that and no need for him to be advising against installing two 7kW charge points.

The eSoul has to be serviced/checked every 15k km to keep the warranty on. On the Kia website I looked at getting a service deal on it and there’s nothing tailored to suit the Kia EVs. Nothing was offered by the dealer when I bought the car either... has anyone dealt with a similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The eSoul has to be serviced/checked every 15k km to keep the warranty on. On the Kia website I looked at getting a service deal on it and there’s nothing tailored to suit the Kia EVs. Nothing was offered by the dealer when I bought the car either... has anyone dealt with a similar situation?

Same as the Hyundais. The services should only cost about 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Just ordered an electric mini as the second car in the household and our first BEV after lots of back and forth about what to go for. I’m also thinking that about a year from now I’ll probably replace the main Diesel BMW with a 530e or some other PHEV

Should I aim to future proof now? Or maybe with a PHEV I could get away with them sharing a charger anyway. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

quokula wrote:
    Just ordered an electric mini as the second car in the household and our first BEV after lots of back and forth about what to go for. I’m also thinking that about a year from now I’ll probably replace the main Diesel BMW with a 530e or some other PHEV

I ordered one three weeks ago. They estimate early July delivery. Did Mini give you any timeframe?

quokula wrote: »

Should I aim to future proof now? Or maybe with a PHEV I could get away with them sharing a charger anyway. Not sure.

I was charging every night 2 Leafs and had no issues - one L24 and one L30. One was charging via 7.2kw charger, the second via granny charger.
    I am currently with an L30 and Kia 64kwh battery and still managing with the same set up. One BEV and a PHEV in the house - not a problem whatsoever - so go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Ionised wrote: »
    I ordered one three weeks ago. They estimate early July delivery. Did Mini give you any timeframe?

Same, the guy at the dealership was bullish about it arriving ahead of schedule though, but I don’t know if there was any reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I put in two chargers as we got two Leafs, but regret spending the money on the second one as it's never used. We have a 10m cable plugged into one of the chargers and just swap it back and forwards as required. When I come home from work I just take it out of my wife's car and stick it into mine and visa versa.

What I would future proof though is the wiring, if the route is in anyway difficult. Cable is cheap, so have the electrician pull in either two cables capable of carrying 32A or one capable of 64A, that way you're covered cabling-wise if you do want to add another charger in future.

Zenith74 wrote: »
    I put in two chargers as we got two Leafs, but regret spending the money on the second one as it's never used. We have a 10m cable plugged into one of the chargers and just swap it back and forwards as required. When I come home from work I just take it out of my wife's car and stick it into mine and visa versa.

So, you are not using night rate? Or is it just that both cars dont need charging everyday and you make that decision as needed each day?

imo, if you have two (PH)EV's you should have two charge points as the prudent financial thing to do is charge them at night and that would mean having them plugged in at the same time.

You could also make do with one charge point and a 3-pin granny cable but they are not really recommended for long term use.

Two EV's... 2 charge points, imo.

KCross wrote: »

You could also make do with one charge point and a 3-pin granny cable but they are not really recommended for long term use.

KCross, I’ve been using a granny on a daily basis for nearly 2 years. Now every sock day/third night. What would be the issue with using the granny charger so often? I’ve known about the warning all way long, but never really bothered looking into it in depth...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    Two EV's... 2 charge points, imo.

If money is not an issue and maximum convenience is the aim, then I agree, 2 tethered charge points is best.

This will cost you at least €1,000 over having just one charge point though. And that's without taking into consideration possible additional required work like priority switches, etc. That's a significant amount of money to many people. If you don't use more than half of the battery in each car per day, you will save this money buy just alternating the charging of the cars, so each car is charged every other night (instead of every night)

KCross, I’ve been using a granny on a daily basis for nearly 2 years. Now every sock day/third night. What would be the issue with using the granny charger so often? I’ve known about the warning all way long, but never really bothered looking into it in depth...

Its possible to use a granny cable forever and have no issues.

Its just generally not recommended for long term use for every situation as there have been many instances where it has caused a fire hazard due to bad sockets/wiring. I've seen pics of melted granny cables and extension leads.

e.g. Just recently there was a recall for the BMW granny cable. Because of its design its possible to not have the plug fully inserted into the socket which would cause arcing and hence overheat and melt.

The Kia granny cable also recently had a problem with overheating, which I think they have now fixed.

1) You then have people who also use granny cables with poor extension leads that are not capable of a sustained 10A+ for hours on end and/or dont fully unwind them and they will again melt and cause a fire hazard.

2) The granny cable is waterproof to a point. The plug at the end is not. You need to ensure that if it rains that water doesnt get onto the socket. A proper outdoor waterproof socket is required. Extension leads are not generally waterproof.

3) If you are plugging the cable in and out everyday it will eventually wear out the socket causing a less than perfect connection and again could cause it to overheat.

4) And finally, the granny cable takes almost the max that a socket is rated for. A socket is rated at 13A max. The granny cables tend to take 10A+. If the wiring feeding that socket is old it may simply be not up to the task or if the cable is feeding multiple sockets in the house (which is very common) and someone turns on a device that is sharing that cable it would overload it... again, a potential fire hazard.

All the above can be mitigated against. I used a granny cable myself for 4 months. Eventhough its working for 2yrs for you I'd still regularly check the plug of the granny cable and see if it is hot to the touch. Warm is ok, hot is not.

A proper charge point will address all the above issues and obviously will charge the car faster as well so has other benefits.

• Advertisement

Wow... left home with 334km on the dash. 280km done, mostly motorway at 110/120km/h I came back home with 21% battery left and 74km in the tank. Outside temp 2-4’C and used heating & aircon at 19’C at all times...
    Such a lovely drive... the car proves it’s worth day after day. I have signed up for 15k per annum on paper and 4 weeks into ownership we’ve done 2417km... ups...
    Overall consumption so far 20kwh/100km and just for today - 18.7kwh/100km. And it’s not even warm outside. I expect to do at least 400km in a good sunny day without compromising my driving habits...

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wow... left home with 334km on the dash. 280km done, mostly motorway at 110/120km/h I came back home with 21% battery left and 74km in the tank. Outside temp 2-4’C and used heating & aircon at 19’C at all times...
    Such a lovely drive... the car proves it’s worth day after day. I have signed up for 15k per annum on paper and 4 weeks into ownership we’ve done 2417km... ups...
    Overall consumption so far 20kwh/100km and just for today - 18.7kwh/100km. And it’s not even warm outside. I expect to do at least 400km in a good sunny day without compromising my driving habits...

Tail wind? Tis windy these days. I'm hitting the road today, and while the winds aren't maybe yet they will be behind me. Curious to see what difference it makes

After driven more than 3k km within a month (with 15k per year limit :D ) I have constantly been getting 350 real life km out of a full battery with super-duper accuracy - plenty of 120km/h miles with heating set at 19'C and mostly on Eco.
    I have to say I am a bit worried driving it in Sport mode. It's turning into a beast!
    And I don' really want to get a 2+ ton of a beast out of control.
    Finally got to set up the off peak charging and no issues so far. I have not happened to check if the preheat setting is working as I am either leaving before the set time or I am not around the car when it happens.

Can not wait to see what the UVO app will bring. It is funny how it was advertised for January and it's already march and nobody knows anything...

Tail wind? Tis windy these days. I'm hitting the road today, and while the winds aren't maybe yet they will be behind me. Curious to see what difference it makes

I drove in town with no heating on the other day and got 15.5kwh/100km. My average currently sits at 20/100 kwh/km. Not sure how this sits compared to the rest of the K3Soul fellas. Not really bothered but it is higher than my L30 - 18.5 currently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Aye my Mrs is driving it around town, normal mode and heating at 20c most days. (quite a hilly place too) and is only getting 20kwh

Ha, just seen my old L24 gone up for sale on a desler’s page for €13995. I doubt anyone will pay that kind of a money for an L24.

Downloaded the UVO app to use with the Soul. It can’t connect to the car when trying to register the VIN...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ha, just seen my old L24 gone up for sale on a desler’s page for €13995. I doubt anyone will pay that kind of a money for an L24.

Downloaded the UVO app to use with the Soul. It can’t connect to the car when trying to register the VIN...
    Do you have an uvo app on the car dash? It has to be enabled there before it can work.

graememk wrote: »
    Do you have an uvo app on the car dash? It has to be enabled there before it can work.

I could not find it. I guess a software update needs to be done.

So this happen today:

JaneK3 vs Pheasant Arsehole 1:0 (0:€1000 if you count the damage)

• Advertisement

What way do you normally fix that? Never had to deal with a damage like this on a new car. It’s only 2 months old tomorrow

Advertisement