Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 x BEV family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

liamog wrote: »
    With an EV you're going to have to brake hard enough to get past the regen. The discs on our Ioniq can look pretty bad during the winter.

An L30 has weak regen, impossible to drive without braking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do you mean without the brake pedal or the brake discs? I believe everyone except Tesla use a blended system, so the brake pedal will provide stopping power via regen unless it exceeds a threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I drive an L30 and would say I mostly brake on regen.

Water John wrote: »
    I drive an L30 and would say I mostly brake on regen.

Do you drive on empty roads? Because you'll have no brake lights using just regen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Is this just because the discs are used so little? Would they polish up if you turned off regen?

Used very little I suppose. The tester said they are corroded. Will change them on Wednesday and post pictures.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    The only thing I ever do before an NCT is an Italian tune-up. On my way over to the test centre. This involves letting the engine warm up and then driving it very hard, reaching high RPMs to heat up the engine properly and clean out the exhaust system, all to improve emissions (in an ICE) and brake the hell out of it (in both ICE and EV)

Could have passed the test that way. But if you're keeping the car, might as well get new pads and discs. They'll probably last another 70k km...

Car’s at 82000km. 72000 driven by myself.
    It’s going to stay with us for a good while once the e-Soul arrives so it’s worth replacing the parts. My wife did say my car does not brake as hard as hers...

Then it's a problem EVs will have in general but haven't heard of it as an issue. Maybe inspector was just a PITA. But good to know and give them a polish before NCT.

The lad that’s replacing mine had done the same for another Leaf last week... so it is an issue

A clean off drive every few weeks might be what I should do. Turn off Eco and use drive mode.

A clean off drive every few weeks might be what I should do. Turn off Eco and use drive mode.

It’s funny how the 151 L24 passed last May. I think she had 44k I’m on the clock and the 161 L30 didn’t. The L30 is heavier so surely the brakes would work harder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

peposhi wrote: »
    It’s funny how the 151 L24 passed last May. I think she had 44k I’m on the clock and the 161 L30 didn’t. The L30 is heavier so surely the brakes would work harder...

Yes, but the L30 would have a bit more kinetic energy and a larger battery. Regen in theory should be more powerful due to those two factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Well...

Went to do first NCT on my L30. Failed on brake discs corrosion...

Easiest way to work the brakes on an EV is to put it in Neutral and then press the brake. There will be no regen in that case and it will utilise the actual pads for all the braking force.

This morning my OH took the car and when she reversed there was such a squealing... hand brake must gotten really stiff...

I may leave it with no hand brake applied over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I never used the handbrake. It's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

No need to use the handbrake in any automatic car really. I only use it when parked on a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

ELM327 wrote: »

Is this safe on the Leaf? I am wary that I'm somehow damaging the gearbox by doing that.

Dardania wrote: »
    Is this safe on the Leaf? I am wary that I'm somehow damaging the gearbox by doing that.

It's not recommended.

The parking pawl (which is what engages when you press P) can break if put under too much pressure. That then effectively leaves the car ready to freewheel if you dont have the handbrake on.

When you park any car (manual or automatic) you put it in gear and pull the handbrake so you have two methods for stopping the car rolling. Its basic safety.

You should do the same in an automatic... put it in P (same as putting a manual in gear) and pull the handbrake.

+1

No need to use the handbrake in any automatic car really. I only use it when parked on a hill.

Do you use the handbrake in a manual car? If so, why? What's the difference from a safety perspective?

Just because your car has never rolled away on you doesnt mean it wont in the future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's been so long since I drove a manual! But yes I used to use the handbrake.
    I suppose there's no difference really.

But, as Unkle says above, I would only use a handbrake on a hill. In my S there's no option to apply a handbrake or not. I hear the rear brakes clamping when I press park so I assume it's auto on!

In my S there's no option to apply a handbrake or not. I hear the rear brakes clamping when I press park so I assume it's auto on!

Alot of new cars do that now if they have an electronic handbrake. Depending on the parking pawl to hold 1-2 tons of car is not a good idea!

KCross wrote: »
    Do you use the handbrake in a manual car? If so, why? What's the difference from a safety perspective?

Modern auto would typically need a foot on the brake before you can take it out of "Park". Rather safe, compared to a manual where someone could accidentally give the gear knob a push, slipping it into neutral...

• Advertisement

Modern auto would typically need a foot on the brake before you can take it out of "Park". Rather safe, compared to a manual where someone could accidentally give the gear knob a push, slipping it into neutral...

Thats true alright, it's less likely to be popped into neutral.

But what about the parking pawl breaking (it does happen) and having no backup?

There is also a small shunt if you don't use the handbrake when you park.

Off she goes the Red L24 and In she comes the JaneK3

Jane? I though it was Jenny?

Or are you now a 2 x e-Soul family? :D

Jane? I though it was Jenny?

Or are you now a 2 x e-Soul family? :D

:D

Now we are a Leaf-e-Soul family
    :D

Last night I had a proper look at the bell & whistles - savage car !
    It feel in line with technology where the Leaf always felt outdated since I drove an ioniq even the L62 with all improvements they’ve made it’s a still far from the technology level they could have/should have provided...

She’s gorgeous!

She’s gorgeous!

An acquired taste! But best of luck. Blue is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭blackbox

If the Yaris only does 7000 km a year, your fuel costs must be low. Why get rid of it?

JPA wrote: »
    An acquired taste! But best of luck. Blue is nice

Have to say it grows on you... just like the look of the mk1/1.5 Leaf.
    It’s going to be my OH’s car as we traded in her flaming red L24 which had a unique look too, one that you either love or hate.

• Advertisement

Have to say it grows on you... just like the look of the mk1/1.5 Leaf.
    It’s going to be my OH’s car as we traded in her flaming red L24 which had a unique look too, one that you either love or hate.

What is the range on a full charge? What kind of consumption do you get?
    Post some interior photos please!

Advertisement