Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 x BEV family

Options
  • 01-01-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Long story short...

After been in a SV and SVE Leaf, Evalia, i3, iOniq, Zoe, eGolf and PHEV Outlander we came up with the conclusion (I think it is final) that we would be OK to replace our long term servant Yaris with another SVE Leaf...

Main reasons - the Yaris does 5-7k km a year, never really does more than 100km a day and being kept as for “just in case” occasions we used it only once for a long journey (235km each way) mainly because we did not have the 30kw Leaf back then.

The cars that dropped out the competition as follows:
    • e-Golf - don’t like it and too expensive
    • i3 - the OH does not like it and too expensive
    • iOniq - both like it but too expensive
    Evalia - noisy and don’t like it
    • SV Leaf - after driving an SVE, I’d prefer to keep it that way
    • PHEV Outlander - love the car not the EV range, OH does not like it and too expensive
    • Zoe - meh.. both of us on the same page (no offence to Renault drivers!) even if it’s cheap we won’t ever go for its

So SVE Leaf 132 to 152 is what we would be aiming for depending on price and condition...

What is your opinion on charging 2 cars every night?
    Have no electric showers, using condenser dryer, dishwasher and washing machine normally through the night.
    Did not have trip switch issues while charging the current car.
    Should we go for 3.3kw or 6.6kw Leaf if one is already 6.6kw and how could I spread the load so it stays safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I sometimes have 2 plugged in. One of them using the granny charger, but if it was a regular thing, I would want another wall charger. You should easily get away with a 3 & a 6 evse without worrying about load sharing, or trip switches. That would be the cheapest option over an outdoor socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Get a 2 unit set up, one 3.3 and one 6.6 capable, both untethered.
    That way, if you need to only draw 6.6kW total you can connect to the 6.6 unit with a 3.3 cable and vice versa. Then, no matter what the cars, both will only draw 3.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

we charge 2 at night (well we did until i sold the second leaf in December). Both were 6.6 SVE and one charged on the 32A rolec and the other using the granny cable and an external plug. Washing machine and dishwasher are also on night rate but are usually timed to finish around the time we get up so the car on the 32A would always be finished charging by then. Had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

ELM327 wrote: »
    Get a 2 unit set up, one 3.3 and one 6.6 capable, both untethered.
    That way, if you need to only draw 6.6kW total you can connect to the 6.6 unit with a 3.3 cable and vice versa. Then, no matter what the cars, both will only draw 3.3.

2 HCPs is that what you mean? Or one that does 2 cars at the same time?

I have narrowed the selection to 3 cars now.
    All Leafs 24kwh with 6.6kw charger.

1. 141, 61k, seem pretty well kept, only 4 fast charges ever, only 2 services - one at 30k and one at 61k (like 2 days ago)
    2. 142, 46k, a bit “messy” feeling about that one, drives well, but the drivers door is not alligned properly - slightly dropped.
    3. 151, 38k the car has had a replaced wing and bumper but nothing serious. (Yet to see the car and drive it)

The first is the cheapest. All bars still there. Liked the general feel of a taken care car (still smelled like new inside, perhaps I am imaging it)
    The second... uuuh, not sure about that door. When I first opened it it just went wide open as if it was going to bend forward. Inside was not really well kept...
    Third one... spoke to the owner. Seemed very genuine and open to discuss the +/- of his car. Have to see it though...

There’s about €2k difference between the cheapest and the most expensive.

What would you advise?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would rule out the second one. Aside from the door, it was messy inside and that's a clear sign of someone not giving a toss about their car.

Look at the third one. A proper repair would have had the car put back to previous condition, so I would look for repair receipts and would properly inspect the car.

It sounds like the first one is the pick though. These must be Irish cars? Most of the UK ones have lower miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The 151 is better value for money at only 2k more than the 141. The depreciation between 3 and 4 years old is a lot more than that. But if you're going to keep the car forever, potential resale value makes no difference to you. All private sales? You might as well go see the 151 and if you then prefer the 141, go make him a "realistic" cash offer :D

Good luck!

goz83 wrote: »
    I would rule out the second one. Aside from the door, it was messy inside and that's a clear sign of someone not giving a toss about their car.

Look at the third one. A proper repair would have had the car put back to previous condition, so I would look for repair receipts and would properly inspect the car.

It sounds like the first one is the pick though. These must be Irish cars? Most of the UK ones have lower miles.

The first one is the winner so far (until I see the 151).
    All cars are imported

unkel wrote: »
    The 151 is better value for money at only 2k more than the 141. The depreciation between 3 and 4 years old is a lot more than that. But if you're going to keep the car forever, potential resale value makes no difference to you. All private sales? You might as well go see the 151 and if you then prefer the 141, go make him a "realistic" cash offer :D

Good luck!

For the first two I am getting the ICE traded in for small money.
    The 151 is a private sale so it might involve first selling the ice if funds are not enough.
    The intention is to use one of the Leafs in 5-6 years time to get a really long range EV. Well... that’s the plan. We had the Yaris for what 8-9 years now and it was not planned to keep it so long. It was just a good servant so never rushed it.

I got a finance application form declined this morning though. I tried to get the loan on my own with 2 mortgages so it was a no-no as the second one is still fresh. Have to include the wife’s power next week. Or ask our local best - CU who likes to take the risk. Just like ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

peposhi wrote: »
    What is your opinion on charging 2 cars every night?
    Have no electric showers, using condenser dryer, dishwasher and washing machine normally through the night.
    Did not have trip switch issues while charging the current car.
    Should we go for 3.3kw or 6.6kw Leaf if one is already 6.6kw and how could I spread the load so it stays safe?

Option 1
    Set one to start charging at the start of night rate.
    Set the other to finish at the end of night rate by not setting a start time.

If they are both 6.6kW cars and you have two 32A chargers you will have no overlap with that setup.

Your electrician might be a bit iffy about that setup though.

Option 2
    I presume you are applying for the grant. You should investigate the load sharing charge points... Tesla and Zappi are two I know of. With those you can set the max combined current for the two charge points and then let the two charge points figure out how to spread that load across the two cars.

Option 3
    Alternatively, just charge one car on a granny EVSE and one on the 32A EVSE and all will be well. Not sure I'd like to be using the granny EVSE long term though unless you have a weatherproof outdoor socket in the right location.

• Advertisement

Finance approved.
    Hunt has started.
    The black one was sold today.
    Bringing my OH to see the grey on Tuesday.

She really wants a red one, I really want a 6.6 SVE... hard to find

Oh.., it’s got to be flame red, not just whatever red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Oh.., it’s got to be flame red, not just whatever red

Windsor Airside will have our 152 6.6 kW SVE in the wrong red (magnetic) once the new car arrives.

samih wrote: »
    Windsor Airside will have our 152 6.6 kW SVE in the wrong red (magnetic) once the new car arrives.

Could you PM me some details. Might be of interest to discuss a possible deal?

A step further...
    Watch this space...

So

Yaris was sold on Thursday for what I thought was an exceptionally good price. Good it did as the exchange rate was a killer so part of the loss was recovered by the higher sale price of the ICE.
    Flame Red 151 SVE with 6.6kw charger paid and ready to be transported.
    We should collect the car on Wednesday eve and officially our family will become a 2BEV one :)

Well wear mister 2 * EV man!

What's the new Leaf, 24kWh or 30kWh? How much did you get it for?

Well wear mister 2 * EV man!

What's the new Leaf, 24kWh or 30kWh? How much did you get it for?

24kWh, unkel.
    It costs me as much as I got as a trade in price for my 3.3kw SV a year ago. It has 18000 miles on it.

That’s it!

We are now officially 2 BEV family :):):)

“Dearie” is the name my wife picked for her flame red Leaf...

Happily parked outside :)

• Advertisement

Well wear to Dearie :)

Well wear to Dearie :)

Have to thank to Rumplstillskin for the name hahaha
    She’s mad about one of them serials...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

What charging solution did you go for in the end?
    I assume in the long run a lot of families will need two charging points, I'm getting one installed and wondering if I can future proof it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thud wrote: »
    I assume in the long run a lot of families will need two charging points, I'm getting one installed and wondering if I can future proof it somewhat.

imo, future proofing for two EV's would be the following:

1) Since you are pulling a new cable for one EVSE, pull two cables now of at least 6mm2(10mm2 for long runs). Its as easy to pull two cables as one and the cable is cheap. That then allows you to add a second full rated 32A EVSE later on without having to drill holes etc again. Just connect both ends of the cable.

2) Get a charge point that allows load sharing so that when you get the 2nd EV you can just get a second EVSE of the same type and connect it up and they will communicate with each other. The two I know that can load share are the Zappi and the Tesla Wall Connector.

Load sharing is important if you plan to run two 32A EVSE's as most houses wont be able to take a 64A load and run other household items at the same time. Load sharing allows either car to pull 32A but the overall draw to not go over a value you set (say 48A).

24kWh, unkel.
    It costs me as much as I got as a trade in price for my 3.3kw SV a year ago. It has 18000 miles on it.

Actually, unkel...
    it costed me a thousand euro cheaper after doing the proper maths...
    yupeee

Thud wrote: »

I was originally going to fit a second charger at home and have both cars plugged in overnight with a 3 or 4 hours gap between the starting times on their timers (the smaller battery first)
    Since we got a new office for my wife, the second charger will be installed at the new premises. She’d charge whenever she needs, mostly during the day. A few extra euros won’t hurt the bank afte making all the savings by having 2 EVs.

Currently I charge the car id need ready for the morning. Sometimes both, once the first one is finished and I’m still up.
    During the storm ⛈ I kept them both constantly at 90-100% ready as I didn’t know when and what would have been needed... just in case.

More than two months of being a 2 BEVs family. Yaris is not missed, charging still OK even with 1 HCP, the L40 still does the longer journeys when necessary and it’s great to jump into either car and just... drive...
    I had some excessive (for my day routine) driving last 2 weeks and almost every single day I did 140-200km. I sat down at the end and realised I would not have been so keen to do that kind of driving if it had to be done in an ICE.

Two weeks ago I took a large (very old) van from a friend and drove an hour or so each way to my destination. Went to the petrol station as it needed a good bit of engine oil top up. I paid E30 for diesel and E15! for 1 little of 10W40... oh, how I don’t miss paying that king of money...

The TCU has to be replaced on the L24 and I am bringing it to Nissan Naas next Wednesday.

I had some excessive (for my day routine) driving last 2 weeks and almost every single day I did 140-200km. I sat down at the end and realised I would not have been so keen to do that kind of driving if it had to be done in an ICE.

That's a good point that is not made that often in here.

Even coming from comfortable large saloons myself, like BMW 7-series and many 5-series, Jaguar S-type, all automatic, a long time spent driving an EV is very easy work with the autonomous driving helping quite a bit (particularly on heavy motorway traffic)

That's a good point that is not made that often in here.

Even coming from comfortable large saloons myself, like BMW 7-series and many 5-series, Jaguar S-type, all automatic, a long time spent driving an EV is very easy work with the autonomous driving helping quite a bit (particularly on heavy motorway traffic)

For me it’s more about cost... love the fact I have stopped (for a long time now) spending €100+150 every two weeks to fill up the A4 + €50 a month for the Yaris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

More than two months of being a 2 BEVs family. Yaris is not missed, charging still OK even with 1 HCP, the L40 still does the longer journeys when necessary and it’s great to jump into either car and just... drive...

Two weeks ago I took a large (very old) van from a friend and drove an hour or so each way to my destination. Went to the petrol station as it needed a good bit of engine oil top up. I paid E30 for diesel and E15! for 1 little of 10W40... oh, how I don’t miss paying that king of money...

The TCU has to be replaced on the L24 and I am bringing it to Nissan Naas next Wednesday.

What the hell is a L24 and a L40????

Advertisement