Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

OldRio wrote: »
    So Aussie crickterers were caught cheating and Irish rugby players were found not guilty in a court of law. Different.

I've said this before. I believe they should be allowed return. They have been found Not guilty in court.

However the text messages put a different slant on this. It is complicated. I saw this online yesterday and think it is worth a few minutes.

http://www.aocsolicitors.ie/irfu-ulster-rugby-must-comply-with-employment-law-not-public-opinion/

Yes the Aussie cricket scenario is very different. But it also shows the power of sponsors in sport. Image is everything. Have the wrong image being presented is not what sponsors demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

.ak wrote: »
    Back on topic please folks... Ulster rugby

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

RuMan wrote: »
    Its a hard left protest. We have due process , there was a trial and the men were found not guilty. Move on

Stand up 4 the ulster men
    No it's not. There are a significant number of Ulster supporters don't want to see them play for Ulster again. Some on here even. You can't just dismiss that on the basis of a couple of politicians hitching their wagon to it for their own gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭OldRio

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Nobody's saying it's fair. Did Tiger Woods actually break any laws when his sponsors deserted him? Or even be accused of breaking any laws?

The dubious morals of large firms that engage in sponsorship is full of contradictions. Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Soo,
    Who do we think will be our best pack for next season? more a less in my opinion seems to depend where you play Hendo.

AoC Treadwell Hendo Murphy Coetzee
    or
    AoC/Tread Hendo Deysel Murphy Coetzee?

Maybe put a punt on Dalton or Timoney instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’d say first and foremost Ulster need to sort out the management side of things. Going to prove a hard task to sign anymore players, without knowing who the coaches will be. Looking at who’s going, Ulster need to sign at least three players for next season, regardless of what happens with the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Henderson should play the 2nd row. Back row Timoney, Reidy and Coetzee or Nordi.
    Nordi at 6 or Timoney at 8. Rea can also slot in at 6. Henry to bench. Coetzee will probably play the bigger matches and be rested frequently.
    Greg Jones is also worth a look.
    The front row is the problem. Especially at lh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Scythica wrote: »
    Soo,
    Who do we think will be our best pack for next season? more a less in my opinion seems to depend where you play Hendo.

AoC Treadwell Hendo Murphy Coetzee
    or
    AoC/Tread Hendo Deysel Murphy Coetzee?

Maybe put a punt on Dalton or Timoney instead?

1 McCall
    2 Best
    3 Herbst/Moore
    4 Henderson
    5 O'Connor
    6 Murphy
    7 Reidy
    8 Coetzee

16 Herring (would like to see McBurney)
    17 Warwick
    18 Moore/Herbst
    19 Treadwell (could see Dalton getting a lot of gametime)
    20 Timoney

Murphy and Coetzee could switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I hope we will have an alternative to McCall and especially Warwick lined up for next season. The later is def not good enough. Agree on McBurney, I fear we could lose him if he doesn't get more opportunities next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Purist98

Not an Ulster fan but think Denis Coulson would be a good signing for you, very solid loosehead, surely better than Warwick and Van Der Merwe, can't imagine his wages would be too high either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I hope we will have an alternative to McCall and especially Warwick lined up for next season. The later is def not good enough. Agree on McBurney, I fear we could lose him if he doesn't get more opportunities next season.
    Need O'Hagan & O'Sullivan to push on.
    Was thinking Coulson also, but someone else mentioned his involvement/interview by police in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Ulster u19 beat Canada today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What's happened with Treadwell? Has his form just fallen off a cliff altogether?

Utah_Saint wrote: »

Well we will have to sign someone. Tommy O'Hagan is the only LH I can think of in the Academy but like McBurney isn't getting a shot for whatever reason.

What's happened with Treadwell? Has his form just fallen off a cliff altogether?

Like pretty everyone at Ulster.

He seems to make a lot of handling errors anytime I see him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    Well we will have to sign someone. Tommy O'Hagan is the only LH I can think of in the Academy but like McBurney isn't getting a shot for whatever reason.

We have Eric O’Sullivan in academy, seemed to go well off the bench against Bedford and looked big. O’Hagan seems to be ahead of O’Sullivan and possibly on a senior contract. We definitely need a seasoned loose head and let the rest fight for the bench!

McBurney looked good against Bedford. Don’t seem to be short hookers coming through.

launish116 wrote: »

We have Eric O’Sullivan in academy, seemed to go well off the bench against Bedford and looked big. O’Hagan seems to be ahead of O’Sullivan and possibly on a senior contract. We definitely need a seasoned loose head and let the rest fight for the bench!

McBurney looked good against Bedford. Don’t seem to be short hookers coming through.

I think that's McBurney's problem. It's hard to give him an opportunity because he is seen as 4th choice. Best may not play that much next season (he hasn't played much this season), but without wishing an injury on anyone, that's probably what it will take for him. Either that or he really impresses in pre season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,457 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Best will be an Ireland player with a few token Ulster run-outs to keep him fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

McBurney needs game time or he will leave and we will have lost a future star.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Best won't play much next year. I'd imagine the derbies and euro games. Mcburney will see some game time and hopefully he sets the game on fire. Still believe he's gonna be a star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

What is the deal with O'Sullivan,

Every game I have watched him he gets a cameo and out shines any one who starts ahead of him, he is exactly what Ulster need a good mobile prop with hands. Is he maybe not getting the nod because he is from the south?

It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

$ausage$ wrote: »

Every game I have watched him he gets a cameo and out shines any one who starts ahead of him, he is exactly what Ulster need a good mobile prop with hands. Is he maybe not getting the nod because he is from the south?

It's a shame really.

Nothing to do with South sure Ulster sign and play loads of Southern players!! E.g., shanahan...

It's a shame really.
    That's hardly the issue seeing as Timoney is getting so much game time.

But have they hit their "Quota"

Shouldn't have signed Marty Moore and Nordi Murphy if that's the case. :D

Are you suggesting there is a quota? Do you know this or did you just make it up for a bit of midweek mishief?!

I am just trying to figure out where the guy is not getting a push. Its not because he is not good enough. Look at our current LH's!

I am just trying to figure out where the guy is not getting a push. Its not because he is not good enough. Look at our current LH's!

LH is a serious problem spot for us next season (I couldn't care less about this season now if I tried). I haven't seen O'Sullivan play. How old is he?

We've been very slow at giving some of of our younger front row options a go, be it McBurney or O'Hagan. I understand it to a point with McBurney as hooker is an area of strength but LH definitely isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It's a shame really.
    WTF are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,457 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cunningham did say a LH was on our shopping list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement