Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MJohnston wrote: »
    It says something about Ulster's season when talking about this shít is preferable to discussing upcoming matches.

It's probably the biggest talking point on the island of Ireland to be fair.
    Ulster's season was over when the 2 lads were gone and when Coetzee and Payne stayed injured.
    There'll be no EC next year that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ulster's season was over when the 2 lads were gone and when Coetzee and Payne stayed injured.

It's worse than just the season being over I reckon, there's no light at the end of the tunnel right now. No coach, no director of rugby, no sign of a management review, the immense distractions surrounding Jackson and Olding, a not particularly inspiring squad for next year, and no European cup rugby to play in. It's a dark, dark time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

MJohnston wrote: »

It's worse than just the season being over I reckon, there's no light at the end of the tunnel right now. No coach, no director of rugby, no sign of a management review, the immense distractions surrounding Jackson and Olding, a not particularly inspiring squad for next year, and no European cup rugby to play in. It's a dark, dark time.

It's always darkest before the light.

Florence and the Machine told me...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

IRFU to monitor all players Whatsapp messages from now on.

damianmcr wrote: »

For real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »

For real?
    bliston you're not gonna believe that ?

launish116 wrote: »

For real?
    bliston you're not gonna believe that ?

I don't at the moment. But nothing would surprise about anything anymore.

So who impressed for the As today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

A game really did look like a bunch of young lads making their way in the game playing grizzled experienced pros. Tried hard but just couldn't get enough front foot ball. Curtis nearly scored right at the end but was held up.
    Pack impressed me in places. Matthew Dalton looks a future star. Very Henderson-esque. Rea and Agnew looked good too. Adam McBurney has a lot of potential. Would hope to see him getting a look in with the seniors soon.

In the backs Patterson and Curtis look good. I've heard and seen a lot about Curtis in the Irish 20s so was enjoyable to see him live. Kernohan on the wing was exciting. Full back Owens has serious gas. Stewart should be ahead of Shanahan all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Shanahan has been in the academy for a while now. He just does not present a threat. Bedford just fanned out and we were no threat at the ruck in attack. I think we can do better.

No one overly compared to the U20's. It was men against boys. Bedford just fanned out and tackled. Ulster had a lot of possession but couldn't finish. They butchered a few pressure moments metres from the line and got held up once. The same team with another year in the gym could of won it. At one stage they lost 20 odd metres with the pass and crash tactics.
    Player wise:
    Dalton was mobile, but can be error prone sadly. But aggressive and up for the contact.
    Mcburny was ok, lineout went well. He runs good lines and looks for the shoulder to offload. seems a little small though.
    Jones is a big guy but seems to disappear in matches.
    Rea went good in first half, carrying and using footwork. Think he left injured, replaced by Agnew who looks like a proper openside/ground hog (just light weight atm). 
    Mcgrath was ok, nothing stand out. But he can carry and scrum went reasonably well.
    O'Sullivan & O'Toole looked huge when they came on, both carried and held first few scrums well until bedford brought on even bigger props. O'Toole looked big and his loosehead counter place was double bridth of him.
    Backs weren't overly great, not helped by poor passes and pitch cutting up. Curtis didn't really get the room to work and bosched a lot, same with Paterson. Both are hard we nuggets and punching well above their weight. Think they were hand strung by out half a bit.

• Advertisement

No one overly compared to the U20's. It was men against boys. Bedford just fanned out and tackled. Ulster had a lot of possession but couldn't finish. They butchered a few pressure moments metres from the line and got held up once. The same team with another year in the gym could of won it. At one stage they lost 20 odd metres with the pass and crash tactics.
    Player wise:
    Dalton was mobile, but can be error prone sadly. But aggressive and up for the contact.
    Mcburny was ok, lineout went well. He runs good lines and looks for the shoulder to offload. seems a little small though.
    Rea went good in first half, carrying and using footwork. Think he left injured, replaced by Agnew who looks like a proper openside/ground hog (just light weight atm). 
    Mcgrath was ok, nothing stand out. But he can carry and scrum went reasonably well.
    O'Sullivan & O'Toole looked huge when they came on, both carried and held first few scrums well until bedford brought on even bigger props. O'Toole looked big and his loosehead counter place was double bridth of him.
    Backs weren't overly great, not helped by poor passes and pitch cutting up. Curtis didn't really get the room to work and bosched a lot, same with Paterson. Both are hard we nuggets and punching well above their weight. Think they were hand strung by out half a bit.

With Dalton you have to remember he is in his first year out of school. James Ryan wasn't getting this kind of exposure at that age. The errors aren't that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If that was even possible. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Any word on how Regan is getting on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

People are marching under the banner of #ibelieveher. If you believe her then you believe that the defendants are rapists. Is that what you are saying?

If people want to march for court reform I'm totally in favour of that, if people have ideas let's hear them.

I don't see how protesting a verdict in a foreign court system resolves issues with our legal system. I don't see how doing it under a banner of accusation achieves anything at all.

If you go on Twitter and spend half an hour searching a certain # you will find ideas from the man having to prove his innocence or courts just believing the woman. So in other words lads if you score on a night out either wear a gopro or get consent in writing.

Second captain's had an excellent discussion yesterday that's well worth a listen.

There is a lot of hysteria and people rewriting what was said in court to suit agendas. There is a certain section of rugby haters who think this is an exclusive rugby issue which doesn't exist anywhere else in society. Then there is a petition which according to some is to make the IRFU aware of the situation (as if it passed them by).

I've seen two messages on Twitter demanding the IRFU sack PJ, SO, McIlroy and Harrison. Really.

It was hard to follow the trial day to day and link up bits of evidence/testimony. I read a fair bit over the last few days and my initial feeling has changed completely. The jury IMO based on the limited stuff I have been able to read reached the only verdict They could. I guess we will never know the truth so how you solve that is nigh on impossible.

Jackson and Olding have been found not guilty. Unanimously. Plenty of people out there have resumed their lives after being found Not guilty of serious charges. Jackson and Olding won't because of what they do. That's a hard one to take because I believe even though justice systems are not perfect they serve a purpose and until someone comes up with a better alternative it will do for me.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Any word on how Regan is getting on ?

Not actually sure he got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Not actually sure he got on.

Sorry I kinda meant in general since he joined ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Jack Regan? To be honest I can't mind ever seeing his name. What clubs he with?

Daily Mail going all out on Craig Gilroy today

Also say Jackson will fight any "ban". Seems Jackson may be determined to pick up where he left off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Daily Mail going all out on Craig Gilroy today

Also say Jackson will fight any "ban". Seems Jackson may be determined to pick up where he left off

What did Gilroy do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

• Advertisement

What did Gilroy do?

He was involved in the text messages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Player wise:

With Dalton you have to remember he is in his first year out of school. James Ryan wasn't getting this kind of exposure at that age. The errors aren't that surprising.
    Ok but that's where the comparison ends with Ryan, Ryan was far more dominant at u20 level and less mistake prone then Dalton at this age

Ok but that's where the comparison ends with Ryan, Ryan was far more dominant at u20 level and less mistake prone then Dalton at this age

Oh FFS, I wasn't comparing him to Ryan talent wise. I was just trying to point out how young Dalton is.

He couldn't possibly be as good as James Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What length is left on Olding/Jackson contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What length is left on Olding/Jackson contracts?
    Afaik, they both end in 2019. Before the RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Afaik, they both end in 2019. Before the RWC.

Hopefully get them back before end of the season. Get the media nonsense over with and start new season afresh

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭durthacht

RuMan wrote: »
    Hopefully get them back before end of the season. Get the media nonsense over with and start new season afresh

No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

durthacht wrote: »
    No chance.

Not a hope in hell will Jackson or Olding play for Ulster or Ireland again. Sponsors would pull out,.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The protesters will be gunning for Gilroy now!
    Wtf!! Are any of these lads married? It's like my early teens with this crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd love to know what the Christian lads in the team think of these idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement