Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The protesters will be gunning for Gilroy now!
    Wtf!! Are any of these lads married? It's like my early teens with this crew.

But but but...these protesters surely don't believe anything they read in the Daily Mail...

Anyway I'm pretty sure this was actually in the trial so I'm not sure why it is suddenly breaking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the Christian lads in the team think of these idiots.

Why? What difference does their opinion make?

Presumably they'll show them forgiveness if they're upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell will Jackson or Olding play for Ulster or Ireland again. Sponsors would pull out,.

Sponsors might pull out and they will most likely take an initial financial hit but they could take as big/bigger hit by not keeping them. Jackson and olding are 2 very exciting players to watch and Jackson in particular gets the best out of the players outside of him. I can't speak for anyone but myself but if Ulster are playing a good brand of rugby I am far more inclined to watch them every week.

Added to that the money Ulster would need to replace an international level 10 and top class versatile back would be a big factor too. I can't see how they would end their contract early either without buying out the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

http://www.aocsolicitors.ie/irfu-ulster-rugby-must-comply-with-employment-law-not-public-opinion/

This is worth a read, written by a solicitor, it basically makes the points some of us have made, but in a more legalistic way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

hogandrew wrote: »
    Sponsors might pull out and they will most likely take an initial financial hit but they could take as big/bigger hit by not keeping them. Jackson and olding are 2 very exciting players to watch and Jackson in particular gets the best out of the players outside of him. I can't speak for anyone but myself but if Ulster are playing a good brand of rugby I am far more inclined to watch them every week.

Added to that the money Ulster would need to replace an international level 10 and top class versatile back would be a big factor too. I can't see how they would end their contract early either without buying out the contract.

Suspect if Ulster can get back to winning with Jacko and Olding sponsors wont much care. Getting rid of the two boys and losing every week certainly wont attract sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

bilston wrote: »
    Presumably they'll show them forgiveness if they're upset?

It is particularly relevant being Easter Sunday. Of course, some of the Ulster team will be very frustrated, upset and even angry with the lads. I also know, based on Christian teachings, that many would be inclined to give them a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

lol uafc has decided this is a republican plot

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I'd say they are all good mates.

A good Christian forgives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder what other countries would have an automatic visa disqualification for anyone charged but not found guilty for persons charged with serious crimes.

If Jackson won't be able to travel to Japan (for example) any argument for Ireland to keep Jackson would be weakened.

I also wonder if the fact that Best and Henderson didn't eventually give character evidence in the case indicates that they decided not to back Jackson and Olding or if the defense eventually decided jot to back them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

I wonder what other countries would have an automatic visa disqualification for anyone charged but not found guilty for persons charged with serious crimes.

If Jackson won't be able to travel to Japan (for example) any argument for Ireland to keep Jackson would be weakened.

I also wonder if the fact that Best and Henderson didn't eventually give character evidence in the case indicates that they decided not to back Jackson and Olding or if the defense eventually decided jot to back them.

They were not called as they were not required.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    lol uafc has decided this is a republican plot

Haven't seen that anywhere yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is a tough situation if they have a year left. Irfu have to be careful as an employer and allowing an employee to work.
    Then there is the complicated issue of 2 different territories. Maybe employment law is similar within the eu.
    Will the boys hold tough for a pay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wonder what the non Christians think. I wonder what the sponsors think. I wonder what my mother's next door neighbour thinks. I wonder what my milkman thinks. In other words who gives a shìte what others think?
    The 2 lads have been acquitted of all charges but they're names are mud now so it seems more and more likely that their careers in ireland are finished.

No country will ban people for a not guilty verdict.
    IRFU want to be careful here you cant just ban them from playing with no cause.
    The 2 boys could make things very difficult. Best to just pick on merit and face down the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

RuMan wrote: »
    The 2 boys could make things very difficult. Best to just pick on merit and face down the mob.

They won't be banning them. They just buy out their contracts or else let them run down and don't offer new ones. IRFU are under no obligation to employ anyone.
    Especially if sponsors are putting pressure on.

The texts put a very different slant on this.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    They won't be banning them. They just buy out their contracts or else let them run down and don't offer new ones. IRFU are under no obligation to employ anyone.
    Especially if sponsors are putting pressure on.

The texts put a very different slant on this.

No obligation to accept buy out. IRFU only job is to employ best available players on the field. Havent seen a better alternative to Jacko for 10 at Ulster.

No obligation to accept buy out. IRFU only job is to employ best available players on the field. Havent seen a better alternative to Jacko for 10 at Ulster.

Jackson and Olding could collect their wages every week and IRFU could tell Ulster not to pick them and there is nothing they can do about that.

If they want to get back playing and are offered a way out they will take it IMO.

IRFU have a wider obligation here too as a national sporting body and sponsors are critical in paying for that. This isn't about the best 10 Ulster can pick.

If you think this will just go away your mistaken.

Jackson and Olding could collect their wages every week and IRFU could tell Ulster not to pick them and there is nothing they can do about that.

If they want to get back playing and are offered a way out they will take it IMO.

IRFU have a wider obligation here too as a national sporting body and sponsors are critical in paying for that. This isn't about the best 10 Ulster can pick.

If you think this will just go away your mistaken.

Pretty sure not picking them on the basis of that would be grounds for unfair dismissal

Pretty sure not picking them on the basis of that would be grounds for unfair dismissal

Paying them every week but not picking them. Nothing they can do. Unfair dismissal? They would have to be sacked first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I'd say it would just go away. Most things do.

What about this striker at Waterford? Did time for sexual assault.

The Welsh(?) player in the EPL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure if the guys will want to leave as it could be seen as some sort of admission of guilt or wrong doing.

damianmcr wrote: »
    I'd say it would just go away. Most things do.

What about this striker at Waterford? Did time for sexual assault.

The Welsh(?) player in the EPL.

The profile of this one is what is grabbing the media attention. There is a lot of eyes on IRFU. Then optics would be very different if those WhatsApp messages didn't happen.

I believe they should be able to play. Justice has run it's course. But this is much bigger now. If the contracts only ran til may 2018 they would be let run down and they wouldn't be offered a new one.

Paying them every week but not picking them. Nothing they can do. Unfair dismissal? They would have to be sacked first.

It's possibly worded as constructive dismissal or something like that. It would be a change from what they were hired to do. I'm not sure of the exact law but almost certain an employer can be sued for unfair dismissal without actually sacking someone. Unless there is a breach of contract in some way or the lads decide it's easiest.

Not selecting them for Ireland would probably be a lot easier due to there being a number of outhalves at a high level

It's possibly worded as constructive dismissal or something like that. It would be a change from what they were hired to do. I'm not sure of the exact law but almost certain an employer can be sued for unfair dismissal without actually sacking someone. Unless there is a breach of contract in some way or the lads decide it's easiest.

Not selecting them for Ireland would probably be a lot easier due to there being a number of outhalves at a high level

Based on the code the conduct in contracts they can be suspended. It's not straightforward though. I get what you are saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Various situations emerge in all sports where a better player is not selected for an extended period of time (falling out with the coach, etc); has any such case ever gone to court under the terms you raise?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Various situations emerge in all sports where a better player is not selected for an extended period of time (falling out with the coach, etc); has any such case ever gone to court under the terms you raise?

I've no idea but how many would have had a governing body tell a coach not to pick them? If for arguments sake McPhillips is the starting 10 and playing poor, gets injured or whatever you will have the coached questioned on Jackson repeatedly. It's not like it's just one person who would need to deny he isn't allowed be picked. You would need everyone involved to keep the matter to themselves. If it's a case that a coach doesn't want to pick him I can't see a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've no idea but how many would have had a governing body tell a coach not to pick them? If for arguments sake McPhillips is the starting 10 and playing poor, gets injured or whatever you will have the coached questioned on Jackson repeatedly. It's not like it's just one person who would need to deny he isn't allowed be picked. You would need everyone involved to keep the matter to themselves. If it's a case that a coach doesn't want to pick him I can't see a problem

I'm sure it's happened. A player falls afoul of a chairman, for example, who then tells the coach not to select them. I can't imagine that this hasn't happened in Italian soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The two lads would be insane to try and take any sort of legal action against the IRFU.

The last thing they'll want after all of this is to cause even more commotion by suing their team/governing body. Very few teams in Europe would want to touch them if that's the route they pursue.

If it's a case that Ulster/IRFU don't want them to play I think the best case for both sides would be some form of early release. I can't see there being any arguments over it if there is in fact interest from other teams in taking them on.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's happened. A player falls afoul of a chairman, for example, who then tells the coach not to select them. I can't imagine that this hasn't happened in Italian soccer.

Ur probably right but I'd say any compensation comes with a NDA anyway so we'd be unlikely to hear it. Anyway it's very much a hypothetical situation for the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement