Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    Yes it is. We’d be out of Europe and languishing in mid table, season dead in the water already if we hadn’t played CL.

Why on earth would we deliberately throw this entire season? We may as well not have signed CL at all by your logic, just throw some academy lad in and watch him magically morph from an unready youngster to a European 10 in the space of 5 months.

Ulster need another signing this season. McPhillips is not ready, the idea giving him game time would have made him ready is completely delusional.

There is a huge difference between giving meaningful game time and dropping CL. You seem to be reading my posts and making up your own **** from it.

If McPhillips isn’t ready for 20 mins at the end of games, or to start against Dragons, Treviso or Zebre, then Ulster are totally screwed in 3 weeks time.

Thought he was very good tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Off to the pub for a teaspoon of beer :(
    Are you? Have you run out of funds?????:D I'll have a few just for you. (It would be a very small teaspoon)

Well if last night is any measure to go by it will be about 7 or 8 pints and perhaps a few glasses of Aberlour. The pub I was playing in last night near Banff in Aberdeenshire didn't have any Irish whiskey but Aberlour has a passing resemblance to Black Bush so it's pretty decent. My 'local' in my new village in Morayshire is really great but again doesn't have proper whiskey - only that Scotch muck :D. It sells a fabulous draught called Windswept. Yum.

One thing I’d say after tonight, despite the fact the players tackle like they’re playing tag. Jaco was right they do defend far too narrow (still think the line speed is the players fault), but there is far too much space left out wide and Leinster targeted that tonight. Can’t remember the last time we scored 5 tries out wide.

Was Kiss still in charge of the defence in the Argentinian game in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »
    One thing I’d say after tonight, despite the fact the players tackle like they’re playing tag. Jaco was right they do defend far too narrow (still think the line speed is the players fault), but there is far too much space left out wide and Leinster targeted that tonight. Can’t remember the last time we scored 5 tries out wide.

Was Kiss still in charge of the defence in the Argentinian game in 2015?
    Yes. He didn't join Ulster until after the RWC was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought Ulster were ok in the first half. They were outmatched up front but stayed competitive at least and didn't allow Leinster to have it all their own way.

The second half was a disaster and I can't understand how it disintegrated so badly for ye. Leinster have better forwards than Ulster bar the two obvious lads. But just because a pack is outclassed doesn't necessarily mean they should ship scores as easily as Ulster did. Seemed like they were going through the motions.

A big clear out is needed and half that pack needs to go. I don't care if they're not that good individually or if Kiss is a poor coach. There's a certain level of performance that's mandatory from them and they aren't meeting it. Falling off tackles and giving up huge ground again and again isn't just the coaches fault.

Bringing in Murphy is a good start. Gets criticised for being soft off the back of the World Cup loss to Argue. But that's a game where the whole pack was blown away. In reality he's a very good loose forward. Picks good lines and is a nuisance at the breakdown. Not a power carrier but he's just a part of what you need to have in a functioning pack.

Not sure about Moore though. I was very disappointed when Leinster lost him as he was turning into a good all round prop. Strong scrummager and decent in the loose. Would've been overtaken by Furlong eventually but that's down to him being a generational talent. But Moore's move to Wasps hasn't worked out. Not playing well.enough and seems to have packed on a few extra pounds. I hope he can sort him out as there's a good player in there.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. He didn't join Ulster until after the RWC was over.

Clearly didn’t learn much from that day so. You could see Leinster looking for it everytime they got the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Much respect Jaco. Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm off to the local pub for as many pints of craft I.P.A. that I can guzzle before my legs become as weak as Ulster's defence.

I read this and I think I want to have Jaco's life when I retire....then I realise I want that life now at 34!

Sorry to hear of your health issues, Jaco. Glad you're posting after such a rough result and as articulate and opinionated as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Honestly it hard to see any scenario where such an injury depleted and thin Ulster squad wouldn’t have got smashed by the current Leinster machine at the RDS. Maybe a great coaching team would have saved some embarrassment but we were always looking at a bad result.

The Connacht and Munster games have done Kiss. A Euro QF will get him to the end of the season but he’ll need some big wins in the 2nd half of the season to turn fans around and stay next year. Sad as it seems he’s a nice guy who just can’t cut it at the very top level.

Ulster are miles off Leinster but what’s so frustrating is that we’ve a squad that’s not far off Munster and yet performances are well below. As everyone outside Ulster likes to say: Ulster have major issues (bigger than any coach) that will need to be addressed to get trophies and beat a team like this Leinster one in their backyard. However right now Ulster fans can see a competently coached Munster with similar problems that Ulster face (maybe worse as Ulster have cash) and that is why Kiss will be gone.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The best thing that could happen right now is if Les Kiss fcuks off somewhere else.

We are hopeless and I’ve had enough of it. I was embarrassed to congratulate the mexican fans sitting around me tonight, we offered absolutely nothing tonight.

Time to go Les. Failure after failure after failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The best thing that could happen right now is if Les Kiss fcuks off somewhere else.

We are hopeless and I’ve had enough of it. I was embarrassed to congratulate the mexican fans sitting around me tonight, we offered absolutely nothing tonight.

Time to go Les. Failure after failure after failure.
    And then what? You'll still have a load of ****e players or players who dont give a ****e and results wont suddenly change. Les may be part of the problem but getting rid of him wont change too much if players are putting in displays like they are and messing up the basics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I can't find a post I made a few years ago on UAFC (it has crashed) in which I detailed my fears for the future of U.R. as it was clear to see the moribund nature of the organisation. The crazily ineffectual structures, jobs for the boys etc.

Uafc following ur down the drain?

If I was Iain Henderson I'd be away tomorrow. He'll never win a trophy at Ulster, why waste your career at a bunch of perennial losers?

And then what? You'll still have a load of ****e players or players who dont give a ****e and results wont suddenly change. Les may be part of the problem but getting rid of him wont change too much if players are putting in displays like they are and messing up the basics

Yes, we are well aware Ulster have many deep systematic problems to sort out if they want to win trophies. But guess what? In many ways so do Munster and Connacht. A decent coach won’t fix the back room issues but a decent coach might stop us being humiliated 3 weeks in a row. Can we not ask for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The thing is though, if you turf Les out now, realistically what decent coach is going to want to take over? Halfway through the season, with players who seem uninterested, no 10 (that we're aware of) and fans/a board with a reputation for turning over coaches for not getting results.

As much as everyone wants Les gone, pulling him mid-season when you're still in the champions cup and still in contention for a playoff spot in the league, personally I'd say cross your fingers for a miracle that'll somehow manage to get you through the season and then try get a decent coach in.

Upheaval halfway through won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Give Gibbes sole charge lads, he knows a thing or two. He and Kiss appear to be at cross purposes. God help ye when CL departs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If I was Iain Henderson I'd be away tomorrow. He'll never win a trophy at Ulster, why waste your career at a bunch of perennial losers?

I was thinking the same thing at the match today about Stockdale. Imagine the difference between being in Ireland camp and Ulster training. Must be painful.

I wonder what Joe thinks about Ulster. And where the problem lies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You are all forgetting that Henderson and Stockdale are born and bred Ulstermen. Maybe they won't give up the fight so easily. Maybe they want to stay and be successful with the province they grew up dreaming of playing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stl.ire wrote: »
    Yes, we are well aware Ulster have many deep systematic problems to sort out if they want to win trophies. But guess what? In many ways so do Munster and Connacht. A decent coach won’t fix the back room issues but a decent coach might stop us being humiliated 3 weeks in a row. Can we not ask for that?
    But what coach is going to want to take over? Halfway through the season, with players who dont seem to give a **** especially many supposedly "senior" players? It'll take a lot more than a change in coach to stop the humiliation. A lot of that is down to players not doing anywhere near enough and while plenty of blame can go on the head coach etc players have to do a lot more. can ulster fans not ask for that and not simply fool themselves into thinking the coach is the main issue

But what coach is going to want to take over? Halfway through the season, with players who dont seem to give a **** especially many supposedly "senior" players? It'll take a lot more than a change in coach to stop the humiliation. A lot of that is down to players not doing anywhere near enough and while plenty of blame can go on the head coach etc players have to do a lot more. can ulster fans not ask for that and not simply fool themselves into thinking the coach is the main issue

Gibbes or some interim would coach the rest of the season. Ulster would probably pick up more defeats in the 2nd half of the season but it would show the upper management are at least reacting to these performances and young players could be blooded. Once we are out of Europe the season is competitively over anyway so why keep a under performing dead-man-walking head coach? And I say that as someone who likes Kiss.

A half decent coach would shake up the players mentally. Ulster’s squad is not great but it’s not as bad as these performances or as some would like to make out.

Ulster can attract a good coach. If Cardiff are supposedly leading candidates for Chris Boyd of the Hurricanes then Ulster would be a good destination for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who is Ulster's CL replacement, did anyone find out who it was?

Rumours of Giteau.

Pretty much has to be a ten from Japanese league no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Lyttle should be a W not a C
    He's listed on the Ulster site as a centre. So I decided to go with that rather than where he's played currently. A bit like Garry Ringrose playing wing in his first season for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He's listed on the Ulster site as a centre. So I decided to go with that rather than where he's played currently. A bit like Garry Ringrose playing wing in his first season for Leinster.

I can't speak to earlier but he's been a back 3 player through and through for the Irish u20s and Ulster senior side afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Rumours of Giteau.

Pretty much has to be a ten from Japanese league no?

Yeah, or Donald

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gibbes is responsible for the most underperforming area of the team. I've no idea why people would want him in charge particularly given he's never been top man before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Buer wrote: »
    Gibbes is responsible for the most underperforming area of the team. I've no idea why people would want him in charge particularly given he's never been top man before.

We are a forgiving bunch and willing to give him more time. Although I must admit that I am very disappointed with what I've seen so far. The forwards look worse than ever.

Two more defeats in a row the most likely outcome for the next two weeks, it’s hard to see how we beat La Rochelle with their first team playing or Wasps away.

Things are going to get pretty unpleasant.

In league terms our next two are not too bad, the kings and Edinburgh at home. We go away to the Scarlets during the six nations, we’ll have almost a full deck as we’re not going to be contributing much to Ireland, the scarlets should have a good few out so we might sneak that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »

I would definitely be asking questions of Gibbes and Peel as well.

• Advertisement

Kiss seems to have confirmed that we have signed a NIQ 10 for the rest of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement