Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just updated the table of players from the latest squad announcement and have added some new information on injuries etc.

S = Start, B = Bench, U = Unavailable, (a) = Academy player.
    Bold = Home, Red = Loss, Green = Draw.

Player|Pos|01/09|09/09|15/09|22/09|30/09|06/10|13/10|22/10|28/10|04/11|24/11|01/12|10/12|15/12|23/12|01/01|06/01
    Opp||Che|Ben|Sca|Dra|Zeb|Con|Was|LaR|Lei|Kin|Ben|Dra|Har|Har|Con|Mun|Lei
    Ah You|P|B|B|B|S|S|B|B|B|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S
    Andrew|H|B|B|B|B|S|B|B|||S|S|S|B|B|S|U|
    Best|H|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|B|S|U|U|B|U|U|S|U|S
    Black|P|B|S|||S||B|S|S|B|S|B|S|S||B|S
    Bowe|W|S|S|B|S||S|B|S|S|B|S|S|S|U|U|U|B
    Browne|L||B|||S|||U|||||||||S
    Busby|W|||||||||||||||||
    Cairns|SH|||||||||S||||||||
    Cave|C|B|||S|S|||S||S|B||||S|S|S
    Coetzee|No. 8|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Cooney|SH|S|S|S||S|S|S|B|U|S|S|B|S|S|S|S|B
    Dalton (a)|L|||||||||||B|B|U|U|U|U|U
    Deysel|F|S|S|U|U|S|S|S|U|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S
    Diack|L|S|S|B|S||B|S|B|B|B|U|U|U|U|S|B|U
    Gilroy|W|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|U
    Hall (a)|F|||||||||||S||||||
    Henderson|L||||B|S|S|S|S|S|U|U||S|S|S|U|S
    Henry|F|S|B|S|S||S||S|S|S|U|B|B|S|U|U|U
    Herbst|P|S|S|S|B|B|S|S|S|U|S|U|U|S|S|S|B|B
    Herring|H|S|S|S|S||S|S|S|B||B||S|S|U|S|B
    Herron|OH||||B|||||||||||||U
    Jackson|OH|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Jones (a)|F|||||||||||B|S|||S|S|
    Kane|P|||||||||B|B|S|S|B|B|B||
    Leali'fano|OH|S|S|S||S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S|S
    Ludik|W|S|S|S||S|B|S||B|S|S|S|B|S|S|U|U
    Lyttle|C||||B|B||||||||||B|S|U
    Luke Marshall|C||B|S||S|S|S|B|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Paul Marshall|SH|||B|S||B|B|S|U||B|S|B|B|B|B|U
    McBurney|H|||||B|||||B|||||S|B|U
    McCall|P|S||S|S||S|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|B
    McCloskey|C|S|S|S|S||S|S|S|S|U|U|S|S|S||S|S
    McPhillips|OH|||||||||||||||B|B|B
    Nelson|W|B|B|B|S|B|B|B||B|B|S|B|B|B|S||
    O'Connor|L|S||S|S||S||S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S|B
    O'Hagan|P|||||||||||||||||
    Olding|C|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Owens|W|||||||||U||||||||
    Patterson|C|||||||||||||||||
    Payne|FB|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Piutau|FB|S|||S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S|S
    Rea|L|B|S|S|B|S||B|B||S|||B|B|B|B|S
    Reidy|F|B|S|S||S|B|S|S|S|S||S|S|B|S|U|S
    Ross|F|||B|S|||B|||B|S||||S||
    Shanahan|SH|B|B||B|B||||U||||||||
    Simpson|P|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Stewart (a)|SH|||||||||B|B|||||||S
    Stockdale|W||S|S|S||S|S|B|S|U|U||S|S|S|U|S
    Timoney (a)|No. 8||||S|B||||U||S|S|S|S||S|B
    Treadwell|L||S|S||B|S|S|S|B|S|S|S|S|S||S|U
    Trimble|W|S|S|S||S|||S||S|B|B||B|S|B|S
    Van der Merwe|P|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|B|S|||B||
    Warwick|P||B|B|B|B|B||B|B|S|B|B|B|B|S||

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    What's the story with Pete Browne? Was he injured? He played for the As in early December iirc.

Not sure. It's an odd selection (surprise surprise).

I'm obviously not as anti Kiss as some but he really doesn't help himself sometimes...

Whether or not our defence woes are attributable to him, its hard to argue his selection hasn't been all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just updated the table of players from the latest squad announcement and have added some new information on injuries etc.

math-calculations-zoom-beautiful-mind.gif?w=685

.ak wrote: »
    math-calculations-zoom-beautiful-mind.gif?w=685

18-hoffman-rainman.jpg?1384968217

Whether or not our defence woes are attributable to him, its hard to argue his selection hasn't been all over the shop.
    Well if you cared to look at my table... ahem... ;) you'd see that he's got no choice. Treadwell, Dalton and Diack are all unavailable leaving just the three that were selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well if you cared to look at my table... ahem... ;) you'd see that he's got no choice. Treadwell, Dalton and Diack are all unavailable leaving just the three that were selected.

Didn't realise Treadwell was unavailable.

Why couldn't O'Connor play though? Why can't Herbst start? Why did he not start Stewart against Connacht and keep Cooney back for this game? To be fair Herbst may not be ready for 50 mins yet so I can accept he is better from the bench at the moment. But I don't get Browne getting the nod over AOC at all.

Didn't realise Treadwell was unavailable.

Why couldn't O'Connor play though? Why can't Herbst start? Why did he not start Stewart against Connacht and keep Cooney back for this game? To be fair Herbst may not be ready for 50 mins yet so I can accept he is better from the bench at the moment. But I don't get Browne getting the nod over AOC at all.
    O'Connor is on the bench?

I suspect same reasoning as an injury return. If Browne stinks up the place, he can be subbed off. If he comes on from the bench and stinks up the place...

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I hear McPhillips has been added to the euro squad.

awec wrote: »
    I hear McPhillips has been added to the euro squad.
    If that's the case, it casts some doubt on getting a short term signing for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If that's the case, it casts some doubt on getting a short term signing for the rest of the season.

Realistically who is available who would be on a par with Lealiifano.

This is the sort of scenario Ulster faced with Pienaar for his last contract. A season long injury for Pienaar would have been a disaster because there was no viable quality alternative within the setup. But it was the IRFU/Nucifora's fault. Now its Kiss getting the blame.

The people Ulster fans need to vent their anger at are not the ones involved in the senior side of the set up. The faults get exposed there but the real issue is everything before that doesnt seem to functioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/trailblazer-john-cooney-points-the-way-north-for-former-peers-1.3346170

Decent read, didn't really think about players commutting to their teams a such before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Without wanting to go over old ground endlessly, the starting selection for Munster proves it more than this week. But yeah, I did post a mea culpa when i realised he had no other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

S = Start, B = Bench, U = Unavailable, (a) = Academy player.
    Bold = Home, Red = Loss, Green = Draw.

Player|Pos|01/09|09/09|15/09|22/09|30/09|06/10|13/10|22/10|28/10|04/11|24/11|01/12|10/12|15/12|23/12|01/01|06/01
    Opp||Che|Ben|Sca|Dra|Zeb|Con|Was|LaR|Lei|Kin|Ben|Dra|Har|Har|Con|Mun|Lei
    Ah You|P|B|B|B|S|S|B|B|B|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S
    Andrew|H|B|B|B|B|S|B|B|||S|S|S|B|B|S|U|
    Best|H|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|B|S|U|U|B|U|U|S|U|S
    Black|P|B|S|||S||B|S|S|B|S|B|S|S||B|S
    Bowe|W|S|S|B|S||S|B|S|S|B|S|S|S|U|U|U|B
    Browne|L||B|||S|||U|||||||||S
    Busby|W|||||||||||||||||
    Cairns|SH|||||||||S||||||||
    Cave|C|B|||S|S|||S||S|B||||S|S|S
    Coetzee|No. 8|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Cooney|SH|S|S|S||S|S|S|B|U|S|S|B|S|S|S|S|B
    Dalton (a)|L|||||||||||B|B|U|U|U|U|U
    Deysel|F|S|S|U|U|S|S|S|U|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S
    Diack|L|S|S|B|S||B|S|B|B|B|U|U|U|U|S|B|U
    Gilroy|W|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|U
    Hall (a)|F|||||||||||S||||||
    Henderson|L||||B|S|S|S|S|S|U|U||S|S|S|U|S
    Henry|F|S|B|S|S||S||S|S|S|U|B|B|S|U|U|U
    Herbst|P|S|S|S|B|B|S|S|S|U|S|U|U|S|S|S|B|B
    Herring|H|S|S|S|S||S|S|S|B||B||S|S|U|S|B
    Herron|OH||||B|||||||||||||U
    Jackson|OH|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Jones (a)|F|||||||||||B|S|||S|S|
    Kane|P|||||||||B|B|S|S|B|B|B||
    Leali'fano|OH|S|S|S||S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S|S
    Ludik|W|S|S|S||S|B|S||B|S|S|S|B|S|S|U|U
    Lyttle|C||||B|B||||||||||B|S|U
    Luke Marshall|C||B|S||S|S|S|B|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Paul Marshall|SH|||B|S||B|B|S|U||B|S|B|B|B|B|U
    McBurney|H|||||B|||||B|||||S|B|U
    McCall|P|S||S|S||S|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|B
    McCloskey|C|S|S|S|S||S|S|S|S|U|U|S|S|S||S|S
    McPhillips|OH|||||||||||||||B|B|B
    Nelson|W|B|B|B|S|B|B|B||B|B|S|B|B|B|S||
    O'Connor|L|S||S|S||S||S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S|B
    O'Hagan|P|||||||||||||||||
    Olding|C|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Owens|W|||||||||U||||||||
    Patterson|C|||||||||||||||||
    Payne|FB|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Piutau|FB|S|||S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S|S
    Rea|L|B|S|S|B|S||B|B||S|||B|B|B|B|S
    Reidy|F|B|S|S||S|B|S|S|S|S||S|S|B|S|U|S
    Ross|F|||B|S|||B|||B|S||||S||
    Shanahan|SH|B|B||B|B||||U||||||||
    Simpson|P|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Stewart (a)|SH|||||||||B|B|||||||S
    Stockdale|W||S|S|S||S|S|B|S|U|U||S|S|S|U|S
    Timoney (a)|No. 8||||S|B||||U||S|S|S|S||S|B
    Treadwell|L||S|S||B|S|S|S|B|S|S|S|S|S||S|U
    Trimble|W|S|S|S||S|||S||S|B|B||B|S|B|S
    Van der Merwe|P|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|B|S|||B||
    Warwick|P||B|B|B|B|B||B|B|S|B|B|B|B|S||

Lyttle should be a W not a C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Realistically who is available who would be on a par with Lealiifano.

This is the sort of scenario Ulster faced with Pienaar for his last contract. A season long injury for Pienaar would have been a disaster because there was no viable quality alternative within the setup. But it was the IRFU/Nucifora's fault. Now its Kiss getting the blame.

The people Ulster fans need to vent their anger at are not the ones involved in the senior side of the set up. The faults get exposed there but the real issue is everything before that doesnt seem to functioning.

Yes but if this was going to be the case, why not give any of the other options meaningful game time, rather than flog CL in every game possible. That’s Kiss’s Responsibility, I’d defend him a lot but his selections are not defensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yes but if this was going to be the case, why not give any of the other options meaningful game time, rather than flog CL in every game possible. That’s Kiss’s Responsibility, I’d defend him a lot but his selections are not defensible.

Because they've paid big bucks for CL to come in as emergency cover, why wouldn't they use him as much as possible to salvage their season?

If they were admitting defeat and taking this season as a write off then yeah, but they're still in a competitive spot for both Europe and the league

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have no idea what the point of resting CL would be at this point. When does he head back to Aus?

I have no idea what the point of resting CL would be at this point. When does he head back to Aus?
    After the last Euro game this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Because they've paid big bucks for CL to come in as emergency cover, why wouldn't they use him as much as possible to salvage their season?

If they were admitting defeat and taking this season as a write off then yeah, but they're still in a competitive spot for both Europe and the league

So instead they will have no 10 who has played more than 80 mins of rugby this season. What season do you think they are salvaging? Assuming he continues playing CL for 80 mins in the next three games, none of the other options will have got any proper game time, that’s not prudent use of an asset.

stephen_n wrote: »
    So instead they will have no 10 who has played more than 80 mins of rugby this season. What season do you think they are salvaging? Assuming he continues playing CL for 80 mins in the next three games, none of the other options will have got any proper game time, that’s not prudent use of an asset.

Yes it is. We’d be out of Europe and languishing in mid table, season dead in the water already if we hadn’t played CL.

Why on earth would we deliberately throw this entire season? We may as well not have signed CL at all by your logic, just throw some academy lad in and watch him magically morph from an unready youngster to a European 10 in the space of 5 months.

Ulster need another signing this season. McPhillips is not ready, the idea giving him game time would have made him ready is completely delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ye can argue this in person later. :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't just be asking questions of Kiss. I'd be looking at all the coaches. Even Gibbes and Peel. Tonight was totally unacceptable from all aspects of Ulster rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

I'll try to be positive.
    Would like to see more of Stewart and McPhilips for the rest of the season. Reidy seemed keen.
    And now that that's over.
    FOLK (and this is more of a general insult to Ulster management than LK himself)

Scythica wrote: »
    I'll try to be positive.
    Would like to see more of Stewart and McPhilips for the rest of the season. Reidy seemed keen.
    And now that that's over.
    FOLK (and this is more of a general insult to Ulster management than LK himself)

Stewart needs to speed things up, but he is worth persevering with, but he isn't ready to be starting a game like that, but now that it's over it will probably stand to him.

The only positive was McPhillips cameo. Tommy did well too but then wrecked himself.

The big players didn't step up at all.

Was Henderson even playing? What does Deysel do? Piutau had a nightmare defensively and Stockdale had his worst game ever for Ulster.

Has he been booted out the door yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Stewart needs to speed things up, but he is worth persevering with, but he isn't ready to be starting a game like that, but now that it's over it will probably stand to him.

The only positive was McPhillips cameo. Tommy did well too but then wrecked himself.

The big players didn't step up at all.

Was Henderson even playing? What does Deysel do? Piutau had a nightmare defensively and Stockdale had his worst game ever for Ulster.

Stockdale was pretty poor in connacht too. V poor in the first half

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gally74 wrote: »

I don't think the last few matches have done him any favours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Stheno wrote: »

He's young. Will recover.

Stheno wrote: »
    gally74 wrote: »

In what sense. He still scored tonight and against Connacht he was playing FB and to be fair he was probably Ulster's biggest threat.

Sure he's old hat now! It's all about Jordan Larmour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Imagine how Ulster's better players would have performed if they were part of the Leinster set up.
    A set up with genuine competition for places.
    A set up in which each player can be trusted to do the right thing 99% of the time because the work has been put in beforehand.
    A set up in which the players are therefore fully invested.
    A set up which doesn't as a rule hire the halt, the lame and the talent free.
    A set up where the head guy was a great, uncompromising and intelligent captain who served under Schmidt and Cheika and has learned his part and earned the ultimate respect of his troops.
    A set up which has recruited senior support coaching staff with real experience of the sharp end.
    A set up in which the Chief Exec. isn't a spoofer.
    A set up that makes young local rugby players want - no, desire - to perform and put in the work in order to get an academy place.
    A set up in which the players work their socks off to attack or defend but don't check their brains into the cloakroom before the game.

None of the above really applies at Ravenhill. Lip service only.

I can't find a post I made a few years ago on UAFC (it has crashed) in which I detailed my fears for the future of U.R. as it was clear to see the moribund nature of the organisation. The crazily ineffectual structures, jobs for the boys etc.

The lack of interest shown by many young rugby players in staying in N.I. after school years was something that was and is bound to have a huge deleterious effect. (There are many reasons for this not least of which is a major societal change and this isn't the place to air it).

It seems, I have been informed by my main contact, that there is often little actual rugby coaching and drills and daily activity with the ball during training. Schmidt arrived at Leinster with a plan to make them the best handling side in Europe. He did and his legacy is still paying it's dues. It doesn't seem far fetched to me that while all the gym grunt has it's place and the Ulster guys do lots and lots in their lovely, shiny state of the art exercise palace, they might also benefit from being thrown the ball now and again. Some of them seem to have the ball control of Abu Hamza.

In April 2016 I suffered a cerebral haemorrhage stroke but I didn't lose the will to live despite what it initially did to my guitar playing. (No. it didn't make me better Thomond, I know what you're thinking ;):p).

In April 2017 I needed major surgery for the removal of a tumour but despite the appalling memories in the I.C. unit and the awful cocktail of drugs that caused shocking hallucinations - some involving rugby :D - I still didn't lose the will to live.

In January 2018 I watched Ulster play Leinster. Will to live is in the post to Les .:D:D:D:D It's worse than the other stuff.

I think Kiss is more than probably an ineffective coach. We know that this is not the case with Gibbes. Peel has no experience but was a fine player.

Too many of the players are not capable of playing at a high performance plane at all or for any sustained periods of time. They seem like a bunch of fit guys but play like a bit of a rabble. The young guys we have seen look a likely bunch. Good for them to have hung in there and risen through the shyt to the surface. It can't have been easy.

The management structure is antiquated and a bunch of alickadoos have far, far, far too much input and exert a malign influence.

Feck it. It's not worth it. I'll be 69 this year, I've just started gigging again and enjoying life again. I have a room full of great guitars and enough gear to start a music shop. Life is too short for the angst caused by Ulster.

I'm off to the local pub for as many pints of craft I.P.A. that I can guzzle before my legs become as weak as Ulster's defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'm off to the local pub for as many pints of craft I.P.A. that I can guzzle before my legs become as weak as Ulster's defence.

Off to the pub for a teaspoon of beer :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement