Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Trying to time the market is beyond me, I'm afraid.

I prefer to hold my nerve and continue to average in to the companies that have done well for me over the last few years.

These fear driven 'bears' hit all companies, irrespective of how they might be performing. It can be a opportunity to buy in relatively cheaply and bring down the average cost of you overall holding.

Of course, if you did that with the Irish banks in '08 you would have been completely stuffed. So be very selective and don't charge in, but there are opportunities in defensive names.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Bear market cancelled time to load up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dead cat bounce !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That is a bull trap if I ever saw one in my amateur opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Of course, if you did that with the Irish banks in '08 you would have been completely stuffed. So be very selective and don't charge in, but there are opportunities in defensive names.

And you picked that up from which talking head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Bear market cancelled time to load up.

Shorters covering, stay out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

What are peoples plans for medium term volatility & possible recession? I was thinking Gold in order to preempt what happened in 2009-2011. Thinking commodities as I'm cautious of an open short position on the ftse etc as it's just so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

What are peoples plans for medium term volatility & possible recession? I was thinking Gold in order to preempt what happened in 2009-2011. Thinking commodities as I'm cautious of an open short position on the ftse etc as it's just so expensive.

nothing is better than cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

beaner92 wrote: »
    nothing is better than cash.

Well I suppose I meant to capitalise rather than ride out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well lads, are ye just using gambling money on stocks or you have a considerable sum in?

I have 70k in my current account and I rent..

Thinking of putting 20k in a mixture of s&p and individual stocks when the time is right..

• Advertisement

Well I suppose I meant to capitalise rather than ride out.

the price of gold is suppressed by the fed via futures contracts. gold is a "stable"hedge but i personally dont see a "money making opportunity" in gold. it lacks volatility imo. but its just my investment preference.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Well lads, are ye just using gambling money on stocks or you have a considerable sum in?

I have 70k in my current account and I rent..

Thinking of putting 20k in a mixture of s&p and individual stocks when the time is right..

My aum is capital given by my firm. Privately i run my own money and my parents money in my own IB brokerage account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Not doing anything until February.

Only holdings for now are

RGSE
    NIO
    HIVE

The temptation is always there to call the bottom but I don't feel anyway confident about the US economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

large holdings in
    USO
    AAPL

Medium holdings in
    IQQ5.F (Turkey)
    SSL

I will increase my holdings in USO and/Or AAPL as my funds increase and as they drop. I cant call the bottome, but I will keep buying on the way down, even borrowing money, they will rebound fast as the market turns around, even if it takes over 12 months, I will still make money on them, better than having cash sitting.

To each their own, and there are lots of different ways to trade and make money, this works for me. More than one way to skin a cat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My only pick to pick up now or at a little less if you can Disney. Goes under $100 back up the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

large holdings in
    USO
    AAPL

Medium holdings in
    IQQ5.F (Turkey)
    SSL

I will increase my holdings in USO and/Or AAPL as my funds increase and as they drop. I cant call the bottome, but I will keep buying on the way down, even borrowing money, they will rebound fast as the market turns around, even if it takes over 12 months, I will still make money on them, better than having cash sitting.

To each their own, and there are lots of different ways to trade and make money, this works for me. More than one way to skin a cat. ;)

I would be slow to borrow for any stock, especially in the current market, but averaging in is a good strategy for those of us who accept that timing the market is beyond us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I would be slow to borrow for any stock, especially in the current market, but averaging in is a good strategy for those of us who accept that timing the market is beyond us.

I can see your point, fortunately I have a good cash flow and all I have to do is meet interest and can cash out any time. If someone has bills/mortgage/job insecurity etc, then I agree, borrowing is definitely a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Buying stocks on borrowed money (margin) is a dangerous game. Every stock investment manual warns you about it. Did it myself as a novice and paid the price back around 2001.

You are paying the interest on the borrowed money and the broker charges....before you ever make a cent in profit....and that's when your portfolio's in profit. If it's in loss, then things escalate pretty quickly :'-(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

TG860 wrote: »
    Disappointing Q3 production update today. It took longer for them to get through the transitional zone (which has lower grades) than expected.
    They are through the transitional zone now and saw stronger grades in September. They simply don't have sufficient time left in FY18 to meet the previous issued guidance now.

It's disappointing as the CEO was at a gold investor conference in Denver last week and was still presenting the previous guidance when it must have been clear they would not meet it at that stage. Hardly going to help investor confidence.

Anyway, I think in the medium term this is still a good investment. Share price is currently back to where I tipped it 3 weeks ago. As grades improve, I would expect FY19 production to improve on FY18's performance. In the meantime, I am happy to collect the very high dividend (well covered) while I wait for this one to come good.

3 months on and Centamin is now back up to £1.13 from approx £0.90 at time of last posting, thanks to an increasing gold price.
    I will continue to hold as it is still paying a well covered 8% dividend and if the current market pessimism continues, the gold price has potential to continue increasing. My target price was/is 130-160p.

Are we starting a 2019 tips thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Good shout TG860, who wants to brave enough and start the "Share Picks 2019" thread... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Good shout TG860, who wants to brave enough and start the "Share Picks 2019" thread... :D

Could we get the balance for the 2018 Tips first.

Actually I think I'd like to go for a refund 😣 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

There was a flash crash in FX markets an hour ago. Apple's China worries looking like one of the primary catalysts...some Yen crosses moved 400 pips in minutes.

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/three-things-caused-the-flash-crash-in-forex-market-20190102

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

They're revising down their revenue guidance so I'd say it'll drop a good chunk and will bring a few with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Netflix have also stopped sign up through their app on the app store, that's a few hundred millon alone in lost revenue to Apple. It also doesn't look good for the app store revenue as Apple were touting how much there were growing year on year. Take netflix out of the picture and it's not as rosy as it first seemed.
    Bendy ipad's, poor sales, lost revenue. It's not looking like a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Dogs of the Dow pick for 2019 - Goldman Sachs !

Down from $275 to $151 in 2018, yesterday traded between 164 and 172. Lots of uncertainty , including 1MDB in Malaysia, but could be worth a punt, especially if today;s AAPL impact brings it back down to the mid-160s.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do we really need a brand new thread. The year could just be removed from the title of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Do we really need a brand new thread. The year could just be removed from the title of this thread.

Like an expensive wine twas a Goodyear ....

Cos it ended up tasting like burning car tyre...

Let it go man, let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Why are Ryan air shares so low..would this be a good time to invest..?

Advertisement