Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Did anyone else buy CEY on the tip a few pages back?

I sold out two days ago purely as I needed cash, brutal day for it today -15%.

I've been watching but never jumped in, dragging down all the mining shares with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Did anyone else buy CEY on the tip a few pages back?

I sold out two days ago purely as I needed cash, brutal day for it today -15%.

Disappointing Q3 production update today. It took longer for them to get through the transitional zone (which has lower grades) than expected.
    They are through the transitional zone now and saw stronger grades in September. They simply don't have sufficient time left in FY18 to meet the previous issued guidance now.

It's disappointing as the CEO was at a gold investor conference in Denver last week and was still presenting the previous guidance when it must have been clear they would not meet it at that stage. Hardly going to help investor confidence.

Anyway, I think in the medium term this is still a good investment. Share price is currently back to where I tipped it 3 weeks ago. As grades improve, I would expect FY19 production to improve on FY18's performance. In the meantime, I am happy to collect the very high dividend (well covered) while I wait for this one to come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Policy Review

Applegreen PLC about to be listed on LSE Aim, anyone care to throw their expertise on it? Good one to back possibly as it expands operations across the country.

Any thoughts on General Electric?
    Bob Harris wrote: »
    Bought a few in the low 13's after the ER a while back, and have fallen nearly $2 since. From what I've read where it's at now is around the predicted bottom.
    It'll take a few years to get even into the mid teens I'd say but as a long term holding that pays an ok dividend (unless cut again) it is interesting but I'd probably wait and see as the short term downward trend might take it into the 10's.

An unexpected change of CEO and it's up 17% on the week.

"GE disclosed late Thursday that compensation for new Chief Executive Lawrence Culp will include performance share units (PSUs) that will pay out in the form of equity only if the stock rallies at least 50% over the next four years"

I'd take those gains plus the dividends along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bob Harris wrote: »
    An unexpected change of CEO and it's up 17% on the week.

"GE disclosed late Thursday that compensation for new Chief Executive Lawrence Culp will include performance share units (PSUs) that will pay out in the form of equity only if the stock rallies at least 50% over the next four years"

I'd take those gains plus the dividends along the way.

Favourited it and didn't buy. Fml

• Advertisement

Favourited it and didn't buy. Fml

Most likely be a pull back after that run. There are still a lot of unresolved issues.
    The new fella hasn't done anything yet. It seems the fact he's not Flannery is enough so far.

Amyris down 8% due to plant being located in North Carolina.

Maybe an opportunity to get in.

Sold this today just before an 8% bump. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Stoploss was hit on AMD. Back up now but wondering how much further it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

received some company suggestions from a global small cap fund manager

Food and drink – people think Diageo/Uniliver in equity – slow growth. Underneath that a range of innovative small caps leading the way
    Grubhub – US market leader in on-line/app takeaway in the US. Dominant market position, strong balance sheet, trend we see increasing. Company competed over 300 order per minute last year, 80000 restaurant’s under coverage
    YUM Brands have instead in the company and have announced that KFC & Taco bell will now be distributed by Grubhub, 5 GUYS also
    Fevertree – you’ll know this one but US is the new growth area, with their range of cola looking to displace Pepsi and Coke.
    Wessanen – dutch company that have been around since 1800s – recently made switch to almost all of their products being natural/organic
    Domino’s Pizza – lead the way in tech advances in food delivery – tracking device helps to stop diners develop pizza anxiety, giving live updates on the status of their delivery

Automation – certainly not a new theme in investing but as consumers want their goods in faster time periods, this will only increase
    Cognex – machine vision cameras – sit above production lines (iPhones etc) checking that put together correctly/scans barcodes
    Jungheinrich – Euro market leader in forklift trucks – shift from bricks to clicks in retail. Also offer a fully automated warehouse, no humans = more efficient, machine learns over time. Claim to increase efficiency by up to 50%
    Aspen Tech – market leader in process optimization software – help to solve and fix problems in large oil refineries/pharmaceutical plants before they happen = production doesn’t stop = higher profits

Healthcare – again people think of healthcare as low growth (Glaxo etc) – not the case in small cap
    Abiomed – Impella heart pump for chronic heart conditions. Monopoly on the market, only FDA approved device, pumps patients’ blood for them during an operation. Literally saving lives
    Japan Lifeline – manufacturers cardiovascular devices, specifically for the Japanese (many western peers’ offerings are too large for the Japanese market)
    Align tech – company behind invisalign brand. Started in US- now in 90 countries and growing
    Evolent Health – US company that assist the It required for the US to move towards value-based care – health providers are rewarded for the quality of their care, not by number of operations

anyone have any holdings or thoughts about the above?

Good news day for both VSTM and VKTX.

Again both down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Easier just to not open the portfolio today.

Bloodbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rebel001

Anyone into CPX (cap-xx)? It looks like it is finally realising it's true potential with plenty scope for upward movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Rebel001 wrote: »
    Anyone into CPX (cap-xx)? It looks like it is finally realising it's true potential with plenty scope for upward movement.

Yep. Have held on for a while. Still in the red but hopefully it continues in the right direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there a crash nearly upon us do you think? Or a significant bear market at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could be the bitcoin is looking like a safe stable haven.

Anyone thoughts on AML ASTON MARTIN LAGONDA GLOBAL HOLDINGS PLC? Launched yesterday down a £1 to £16

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there a crash nearly upon us do you think? Or a significant bear market at least?

A crash or significant bear market in what market? Assuming by the thread title you mean stocks - the question you should be asking is which stocks/sector and what part of the world?
    A crash would be the capitulation of the strong hands, a bear market would be boiling a lobster. Media is really pumping this one....

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Anyone here get into avita medical or have any thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BonesJones1

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Anyone here get into avita medical or have any thoughts on it?

I was planning on buying shares in it a few months ago but couldn’t find it on Degiro .

I was planning on buying shares in it a few months ago but couldn’t find it on Degiro .

Weeks*

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Anyone think there's value in Ryanair now? P/E ratio looks pretty low? Not interested in 'trading' this one. Looking to put a nice chunk of money in for medium term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone think there's value in Ryanair now? P/E ratio looks pretty low? Not interested in 'trading' this one. Looking to put a nice chunk of money in for medium term.

I'd like to see how brexit plays out first. If it went under 10 i'd probably buy now.

I'd like to see how brexit plays out first. If it went under 10 i'd probably buy now.

Or would anyone care to recommend a ETF (one of DeGiro's free ones if possible)?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

I've been a long term holder of Ryanair, but I have to say I have lost faith a bit recently.
    P/E ratio looks good on current earnings, but the future earnings forecasts don't look great, so it doesn't look as great on a forward PE basis. Strikers are hurting forward bookings and the oil price is much higher than it has been in the last few years.
    I think they still have some competitive advantages compared to other airlines, but I think the whole aviation market is going to start feeling the effects of over-capacity and the loss of cheap fuel. I would hold my current holding, but I think there are probably better buying opportunities out there for the next 1-2 years.

TSLA VSTM & NIO recovering nicely today.

Any thoughts on TEVA?

TG860 wrote: »
    I've been a long term holder of Ryanair, but I have to say I have lost faith a bit recently.
    P/E ratio looks good on current earnings, but the future earnings forecasts don't look great, so it doesn't look as great on a forward PE basis. Strikers are hurting forward bookings and the oil price is much higher than it has been in the last few years.
    I think they still have some competitive advantages compared to other airlines, but I think the whole aviation market is going to start feeling the effects of over-capacity and the loss of cheap fuel. I would hold my current holding, but I think there are probably better buying opportunities out there for the next 1-2 years.

Thanks for that. I'm just off the phone with my pension advisor - I think I'm gonna have him set me up on Irish Life Clear Regular Saver Investment. Go in at the 2nd highest (or maybe highest) risk fund at €100 per month for now. Min term is 5 years.

I bought an ETF today and it has been added to my portfolio, however the money still remains in my cash balance? What’s going on there?

I bought an ETF today and it has been added to my portfolio, however the money still remains in my cash balance? What’s going on there?
    The balance is also added onto my portfolio including the new ETF value

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Policy Review

Thanks for that. I'm just off the phone with my pension advisor - I think I'm gonna have him set me up on Irish Life Clear Regular Saver Investment. Go in at the 2nd highest (or maybe highest) risk fund at €100 per month for now. Min term is 5 years.

Out of interest whats the fund make up?
    Are you investing in just the one fund?

TG860 wrote: »

Davy reduced their price target from €18 to €14

• Advertisement

Out of interest whats the fund make up?
    Are you investing in just the one fund?

https://www.irishlife.ie/investments/irish-life-maps

Advertisement