Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

hi im looking at a share thats undergoing major changes lately...whats your share view on standard life Aberdeen -SLA? is it looking like a BUY? ...or those who are holders...a SELL...???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thargor wrote: »
    No, those are AMAL shares, or just a placeholder for when TAW and AMAL merge then they will both be combined into one AMAL holding. Cowan shares dont exist yet and you wont be getting them anyway if you're not resident in Australia, the company will hold them in trust then sell them and give you the cash when they list.

Ahh ok. It just seemed concidental that the number of 'new' shares corresponded exactly to my original number of Tawana shares divided by 11.1 which is the number mentioned in the de-merger thingie. (I am not Australia resident)

I guess its not clear yet what the ratio of new Tawana+AMAL shares we will get versus our original Tawana holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MikeSoys wrote: »
    hi im looking at a share thats undergoing major changes lately...whats your share view on standard life Aberdeen -SLA? is it looking like a BUY? ...or those who are holders...a SELL...???

All the Technicals say it's a sell, what news do you know that can swing the trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

No, those are AMAL shares, or just a placeholder for when TAW and AMAL merge then they will both be combined into one AMAL holding. Cowan shares dont exist yet and you wont be getting them anyway if you're not resident in Australia, the company will hold them in trust then sell them and give you the cash when they list.

I am using 100 TAW shares to keep this simple. My understanding is that for every 100 TAW shares that you own

A) Your TAW shares will be replaced by 110 AMAL Shares (100 TAW X 1.1)

B) You will receive 9 COWAN Shares (100 / 11.1)

Since yesterday I have extra non-transactable shares appear in my De Giro account - the amount of those shares correspond exactly to B above i.e. COWAN allocation, not AMAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

sasol wrote: »
    I am using 100 TAW shares to keep this simple. My understanding is that for every 100 TAW shares that you own

A) Your TAW shares will be replaced by 110 AMAL Shares (100 TAW X 1.1)

B) You will receive 9 COWAN Shares (100 / 11.1)

Since yesterday I have extra non-transactable shares appear in my De Giro account - the amount of those shares correspond exactly to B above i.e. COWAN allocation, not AMAL.
    Oh sh1t you're right, my Degiro is the same, apologies. You will be getting 11 for AMAL for every 10 TAW shares but these new shares in my account do correspond to the Cowan ratio alright, very interesting, I wonder if all the people complaining made them change their minds?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^it's very confusing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Oh sh1t you're right, my Degiro is the same, apologies. You will be getting 11 for AMAL for every 10 TAW shares but these new shares in my account do correspond to the Cowan ratio alright, very interesting, I wonder if all the people complaining made them change their minds?

Lifted from Hot Copper

From the Demerger Update and Notice of Meeting & Prospectus, 01. June 2018:

https://tawana.com.au/annoucement/demerger-update-and-notice-of-meeting-prospectus/

3.10 Overseas Shareholders

The distribution of Cowan Shares under the reduction of capital and Demerger Distribution (if any) to Shareholders with registered addresses overseas is subject to legal and regulatory requirements in those relevant overseas jurisdictions. The Company has determined that it would be unreasonable to issue Cowan Shares under the Demerger to those Shareholders on the Record Date with an address outside Australia (Overseas Shareholders) having regard to:

22 (a) the number of shareholders with addresses outside these countries; (b) the number and value of the shares those shareholders would otherwise have been entitled; and

(c) the cost of complying with the legal requirements, and requirements of regulatory authorities, in each of the countries concerned. Shareholders who have a registered address outside Australia as at the date of this Notice are able to update their registered address on Tawana’s share register prior to the Record Date by contacting the Company’s share registry, Computershare Investor Services Pty Limited on 1300 850 505 (within Australia) or +61 3 9415 4000 (outside Australia) or the Company Secretary.

If a Shareholders’ registered address remains outside Australia as at the Record Date they will be treated as an Overseas Shareholder for the purposes of the Demerger. Accordingly, Overseas Shareholders on the Record Date will not be issued the Cowan Shares to which they would otherwise be entitled and instead their Cowan Shares will be issued to Tawana to be held on their behalf, pending a liquidity opportunity. Such an opportunity may arise pre ASX listing and the Board will consider whether it is in the interest of Overseas Shareholders to sell the relevant Cowan Shares at that time.

Yeah thats what I always thought, I wasnt expecting them to show up in my DeGiro account though.

The Cowan shares are just showing up in our (overseas) Degiro accounts as kind of place holders as they are currently held in trust by Tawana...... and will never be offically tradeable (by us) but will be cashed in by Tawana (on our behalf) as the article says

"pending a liquidity opportunity"

but Tawana will be the judge of when that will be....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Any views on Applied Graphene Materials AGM? Trying to decide whether to cut my losses or weather the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Gangu wrote: »
    Any views on Applied Graphene Materials AGM? Trying to decide whether to cut my losses or weather the storm.

After a quick review of their financials I think I would be inclined to sell. They are loss making for the last 4 years and can't even manage a gross profit. After SG&A losses are significant and not improving.

I would expect the company in this situation to be selling well below book value (eg 0.3) but PB is 1.4

Loss making over a number of years
    No dividend
    High PB
    Negligible revenue vs costs

Unless you are aware of some reason why business should improve dramatically over the next few years then I would be inclined to sell even at a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Gruffalo22 wrote: »
    After a quick review of their financials I think I would be inclined to sell. They are loss making for the last 4 years and can't even manage a gross profit. After SG&A losses are significant and not improving.

I would expect the company in this situation to be selling well below book value (eg 0.3) but PB is 1.4

Loss making over a number of years
    No dividend
    High PB
    Negligible revenue vs costs

Unless you are aware of some reason why business should improve dramatically over the next few years then I would be inclined to sell even at a loss

Thanks. I think you’re right but don’t want to hear it, if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone considering opening a short position on Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm a noob but some of the tech prices are insane. Netflix doubled in value in a year. You'd really think these companies can't sustain this growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I'm a noob but some of the tech prices are insane. Netflix doubled in value in a year. You'd really think these companies can't sustain this growth.

Interesting timing. Netflix opened down nearly 10% today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Good time to buy Netflix. Down near 18% from last week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Interesting timing. Netflix opened down nearly 10% today.

Not that interesting. Their share price dropped yesterday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Viking Therapeutics announce , eh, an announcement of their results. Due in October, but signs suggest outcome is positive. Will the price respond I wonder?

I can't post a URL but available at the link below

www[dot]prnewswire[dot]com/news-releases/viking-therapeutics-announces-vk5211-phase-2-study-results-selected-for-plenary-oral-presentation-at-asbmr-2018-annual-meeting-300681783.html

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Not that interesting. Their share price dropped yesterday too.

Interesting interpretation of data.
    It closed at 395.80 on Friday.
    Opened at 398.63 on Monday.
    Closed at 400.48 on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

At beginning of last year Netflix were gonna open in another heap of countries, loads of new shows coming, were a sure thing.

No where else to open now, most of their shows are sh1te, especially marvel ones, all of their movies are sh1te, will smith one did ok, spending a fortune on a few big TV show producer names, all they can hope for is good sign ups now but who is gonna pay for, Amazon, Netflix, hbo, Disney is coming, who else is coming, they can all feck off with their only 9.99 a month.

No more sure thing.

• Advertisement

Seroiusly how high can the FAANGs and others go? New highs every week, it has to stop making sense soon, theres feck all space left to grow for many of them not just Netflix. There was an interesting article posted in the Brexit thread about how stimulus programmes since the crisis have made investors forget about managing risk. When do you think the next correction is going to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Kuva wrote: »
    At beginning of last year Netflix were gonna open in another heap of countries, loads of new shows coming, were a sure thing.

No where else to open now, most of their shows are sh1te, especially marvel ones, all of their movies are sh1te, will smith one did ok, spending a fortune on a few big TV show producer names, all they can hope for is good sign ups now but who is gonna pay for, Amazon, Netflix, hbo, Disney is coming, who else is coming, they can all feck off with their only 9.99 a month.

No more sure thing.

Their content really is sh1te. Jaysus it's diabolical.except better call Saul. That's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Viking Therapeutics announce , eh, an announcement of their results. Due in October, but signs suggest outcome is positive. Will the price respond I wonder?

www[dot]prnewswire[dot]com/news-releases/viking-therapeutics-announces-vk5211-phase-2-study-results-selected-for-plenary-oral-presentation-at-asbmr-2018-annual-meeting-300681783.html

I bought into Pluristem at 1.25. One to watch. Feels like a similar punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So as a noob dipping my toe in the market....any suggestions for buys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

I see Bezos has hit 150Billion on the ould rich list, richer now than gates was in 1999 when he was 100 Billion adjusted for inflation thats 149Billion, good man Jeff.

Amazon servers couldn't handle demand in the US yesterday, prime day, they now have 5% of all retail spend in the US. Would rather pay for an ambulance to be on call in the carparks than put in better ventilation in their warehouses across Europe when the mercury spikes. Have moved manufacturing out of the major Chinese hubs to other smaller districts so as not to have to pay minimum wage.

Buy Amazon.

Barring Antitrust, skys the limit. He'd walk on your neck to get ahead.

Anyone have an opinion on Malin Corp in the ISEQ. SP has been in free fall for the last 12 Months from about €12 last July to €5.70 today. This has prompted a major shake-up in management in the last few days and a re-focusing exercise to get value for Shareholders..... is it time to buy in now, in the hope of a SP price rebound ? or maybe wait and see if the SP has further to fall ...and buy in when it shows signs of a real recovery?

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/exardagh-chief-curley-to-chair-malin-37124782.html

Seeing as its a life sciences investment vechicle, any one of its investments could probably go stratespheric at short notice ...or presumably just as likely go down the toilet. :-[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

It fell on the back of that announcement. Presumably because there was no mention of the NASH drug trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Trasna1 wrote: »
    It fell on the back of that announcement. Presumably because there was no mention of the NASH drug trials.

This is the other main drug they are developing for hip fractures.
    It's a good plan B if the trials go well but Nash is where the fireworks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Trasna1 wrote: »

$MDGL buyout rumours saw a Friday bump though. https://stocknews.com/news/mdgl-spanish-media-group-intereconomia-reported-that-germanys-merck-kgaa-will/

I’ve bought into $ALT and $TROV as swing plays. Might get into $PAVM on Monday, looks like it’s going to break up much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So as a noob dipping my toe in the market....any suggestions for buys?

You called?
    ScumbagSteve.jpg

Canopy growth corp
    Aphria
    MPX (5cb in Europe)
    Everything is down for the summer same as last summer.

Advertisement