Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Really? With the sanctions and that?

Looks like it's on a serious downtrend yesterday.

Continued a bit today.
    It's a Chinese company so playing with home advantage.
    Just recently got the rights for the 4 golf majors so seems to have very varied content.

Major agendas on seeking alpha but a decent source all the same.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4182696-iqiyi-2-reasons-run-can-continue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Oracle (ORCL) missed 4th quarter forecast, however all otger signs are good. Share pruce down about 15% since start of month.
    On at $43 yesterday, currently $43.60. plenty of scope for a rebound - was $53 in march

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Anyone have any thoughts on AMD?
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMD/

Currently undergoing a correction but have seen reports to suggest long term could be a winner. Looking to take market share from Intel given their current woes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Doodee wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on AMD?
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMD/

Currently undergoing a correction but have seen reports to suggest long term could be a winner. Looking to take market share from Intel given their current woes.

For the record, I have no idea how to price a company I only really know about the technology side of things.

For a long time AMD CPUs lagged behind Intel, and they really lagged. I want AMD to do well because Intel being dominant is not a good thing but for years I wouldn't even consider an AMD processor, they were that far behind Intel. That has all changed. Their Zen range were a big improvement and actually competitive with Intel. The Zen+ which were released recently enough are a more incremental improvement than Zen was but it is increasing their competitiveness with Intel. Zen2 is out next year and is looking pretty impressive as well. So, on the CPU front I think they're on to a winner and should be able to steal decent market share from Intel in a lot of areas.

GPU side of things are a little different. They're competitive in the mid range but at the high end, where all the juicy margin is, nVidia are way ahead of them. I know AMD have made some noise about upcoming new GPUs but I'm not sure if much will come of it. It's possible they had to focus a lot of their R&D budget on the CPU side of things to get that back on track so the GPU side had to suffer a bit and now that Zen is out they can refocus on the GPU side more.

Saying that Intel are looking to release a GPU in 2020 and they hired some impressive talent to help them do it. They've tried before and failed so the same could happen this time around but I don't think it will. Intel are seeing how nVidia are cleaning up in the GPU market and they want a piece of that pie. Plus, GPUs are great for things like AI and machine learning. These are going to be huge markets in the future. Intel missed out big time on mobile and were too late to that game, they don't want the same to happen here so I could see them putting everything into making their GPU business succeed.

TL,DR: I think AMD are going to have a pretty good future but Intel have shedloads of R&D money that could really hurt them and Intel are going after the GPU market in 2 years time so AMD will have another competitor there. Don't know what this means for their share price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Also the huge demand in high and very high end GPUs (with juicy margins) because of crypto mining has subsided with the current crypto bear market, which doesn't look like it will shoot back up any time soon. Personally, I wouldn't invest in AMD (or nVidia for that matter) at this point in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BonesJones1

Are many people gonna invest in intel with the drop , I’ll probably invest if it drops a tiny bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

unkel wrote: »
    Also the huge demand in high and very high end GPUs (with juicy margins) because of crypto mining has subsided with the current crypto bear market, which doesn't look like it will shoot back up any time soon. Personally, I wouldn't invest in AMD (or nVidia for that matter) at this point in time

I think the crypto mining market has moved away from GPUs to custom ASIC rigs...

https://medium.com/coinmonks/asics-and-the-roller-coaster-for-gpus-41e501f6d4bd

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PenguinEggs

Good news for GALT today sending it up by over 17% ($7.36 currently) so far today. This is after sloping back down to around where it started the month after climbing to well over $9
    Galectin Therapeutics Receives Patent for GR-MD-02 Patent for Method and Treatment of Pulmonary Fibrosis

Good news for GALT today sending it up by over 17% ($7.36 currently) so far today. This is after sloping back down to around where it started the month after climbing to well over $9
    Galectin Therapeutics Receives Patent for GR-MD-02 Patent for Method and Treatment of Pulmonary Fibrosis

Well that recovery didn't last long:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

The whole biotech sector looks like a bloodbath at the moment, so much red. Better just holding tight, too many people trying to cut losses and driving it further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The price started to head south more or less at the same time that the Dow and Nasdaq went into negative territory. Wider global geo-politics are to blame more than anything else.

The big mover yesterday was PED. Pedevco - a small oil company that had $75M in debt wiped out after a new investor came on board. Shares went up 659% in normal trading and another 40% on top of the closing price in after hours.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    The big mover yesterday was PED. Pedevco - a small oil company that had $75M in debt wiped out after a new investor came on board. Shares went up 659% in normal trading and another 40% on top of the closing price in after hours.

Ay Caramba!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

I think photo me phtm on the lse is good value at the moment. Runs unmanned photo booth and laundry kiosks in a number of countries. Good margins and at a 52 week low. Pe 10 and pb 3. Dividend over 6.5%. Do your own research but I've added it to my portfolio. I'd try to buy at 101 or below if possible. Long term hold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ryanair took a tumble today. Down nearly 10% this week. Have I missed some news?

Ryanair took a tumble today. Down nearly 10% this week. Have I missed some news?
    3.50pm: EasyJet and Ryanair shares in turbulence as IAG expands Level airline
    Shares in easyJet PLC (LON:EZY) and Ryanair Holdings PLC (LON:RYA) dropped following news that the owner of British Airways is launching its expanding its low-cost long-haul airline Level.

International Consolidated Airlines Group (LON:IAG), which started the Level brand more than a year ago, is launching short-haul routes from Vienna, Austria.

Four planes will serve 14 destinations including Gatwick and Barcelona.

This means more competition for budget carriers easyJet and Ryanair.

EasyJet shares fell 1.6% to 1,661p while Ryanair declined 2.5% to 15.45p.
    proactiveinvestors.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I saw that but that expansion news had already come out months ago.

I think the crypto mining market has moved away from GPUs to custom ASIC rigs...

https://medium.com/coinmonks/asics-and-the-roller-coaster-for-gpus-41e501f6d4bd

Nah. Be very careful about what you read about ASIC miners / Bitmain. That was pretty much just an announcement from Bitmain. That was back in April with promises of a USD800 miner with similar performance as a USD2000 GPU rig (the former obviously becoming obsolete after a while, the latter holding its value well)

Guess what? Not a single ethash miner has yet been shipped and Bitmain has already upped the price from USD800 to USD2000

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

Can anyone share some insight into whats happening with TAW?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Heiser wrote: »
    Can anyone share some insight into whats happening with TAW?

That’s a fairly broad question......want to Be more specific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Gruffalo22 wrote: »
    I think photo me phtm on the lse is good value at the moment. Runs unmanned photo booth and laundry kiosks in a number of countries. Good margins and at a 52 week low. Pe 10 and pb 3. Dividend over 6.5%. Do your own research but I've added it to my portfolio. I'd try to buy at 101 or below if possible. Long term hold

Earnings out yesterday with good results and nice jump in share price - currently up around 14% since I posted. Final dividend of 4.6% due in November. Total dividend 8% approx for the year.

http://photo-me.com/results-year-ended-30-april-2018-investment-laundry-continues-drive-growth/

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Gruffalo22 wrote: »
    Earnings out yesterday with good results and nice jump in share price - currently up around 14% since I posted. Final dividend of 4.6% due in November. Total dividend 8% approx for the year.

http://photo-me.com/results-year-ended-30-april-2018-investment-laundry-continues-drive-growth/

Great tip, thank you. Got in at 106.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

b4bmm wrote: »

With regard to the merger, I hear if you're not resident in Australia you won't be getting shares in Cowan?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Heiser wrote: »

With regard to the merger, I hear if you're not resident in Australia you won't be getting shares in Cowan?

I’d suggest reading the latest announcement on it. I think it’s only holders who have bought on the JSE that get affected negatively or people who hold small positions which are deemed unmarketable, best to ring the office in Perth to get confirmation if you can’t figure it out from the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I’d suggest reading the latest announcement on it. I think it’s only holders who have bought on the JSE that get affected negatively or people who hold small positions which are deemed unmarketable, best to ring the office in Perth to get confirmation if you can’t figure it out from the announcement.
    I think any of us who dont have an Australian address will be having our Cowan shares sold for us when it gets near to listing time, very annoying but Ill probably be buying back in straight away when it lists anyway. As for the rest it looks like a wait until September for the dust to settle on the merger, seems stuck in a range for now.

PLS recovering nicely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

So our TAW shares will be sold for us? Should I just sell now then, price is totally stagnant or is there a reason to wait for them to be sold for us?

OwlsZat wrote: »
    So our TAW shares will be sold for us? Should I just sell now then, price is totally stagnant or is there a reason to wait for them to be sold for us?
    No, if you hold TAW shares they will be converted to AMAL when the 2 companies merge in September. For every 100 TAW shares you hold you will receive 110 AMAL shares. TAW will cease to exist and AMAL will begin trading with 100% ownership of the Bald Hill resource and a few other bits and pieces instead of the 50/50 TAW/AMAL ownership split that exists now, you dont have to do anything here, it will happen automatically.

Before this happens though all of TAWs ownership of the Cowan assets (which is a different untapped resource beside the Bald Hill mine, very promising) will be split off into a new company, Cowan Lithium and you will be issued with free shares in this company depending on how much TAW you own. These shares will be held in trust for you until they get listed on the ASX (could take years but probably just a few months).

The annoying thing is if you live in Australia you will just have these shares show up in your broker account and begin trading but for legal/cost reasons everyone outside Australia will have their Cowan shares sold for them by the company and will receive cash instead through their broker. They are free to either keep the cash or reinvest it in the new Cowan company just like they would with any ASX listed company.

I plan on buying a nice chunk when the time comes but DYOR.

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Extra tip: $AVEO, crazy amount of insider buying recently leading me to believe they've got something big coming.

Bought the day after you posted this at $2.25, cashed out today at $2.89

Thanks man, nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Soo I see today on my Degiro account, that I received a new Share in Tawana (a non tradeable share) for every 11.1 shares in Tawana that I previously owned. These are presumably the new Cowan shares and will be tradeable once Cowan is listed on ASX, right?

• Advertisement

Soo I see today on my Degiro account, that I received a new Share in Tawana (a non tradeable share) for every 11.1 shares in Tawana that I previously owned. These are presumably the new Cowan shares and will be tradeable once Cowan is listed on ASX, right?
    No, those are AMAL shares, or just a placeholder for when TAW and AMAL merge then they will both be combined into one AMAL holding. Cowan shares dont exist yet and you wont be getting them anyway if you're not resident in Australia, the company will hold them in trust then sell them and give you the cash when they list.

Advertisement