Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

They give out about a crib, what about Christmas trees. Should every public place refrain from decorating during a public holiday? Christmas, Halloween etc in this all inclusive world of ours.

Edit: I just read the article. There's one in the church, where it should be, so it's a non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Do you mean the ones who are offended by the crib or the ones offended by objecting to the crib?

All the talk all about old folks and their need of cribs to be happy about their imminent death as if they’re just simple fools who need to be placated. Have the old folks said they need cribs or is this a case of being offended on their behalf? A kind of conservative ‘virtue signaling’?

I would say the one virtue signaling was the person who made the decision too remove the crib over one complaint. Deny the majority just to please the minority.

1000 signatures v one complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I would say the one virtue signaling was the person who made the decision too remove the crib over one complaint. Deny the majority just to please the minority.

They're only removing the crib from the foyer, there's still the one in the chapel.

But then again, most of the people coming about it being removed wouldn't notice that, it's not like they ever really go to chapel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They're only removing the crib from the foyer, there's still the one in the chapel.

But then again, most of the people coming about it being removed wouldn't notice that, it's not like they ever really go to chapel.

I’ve been in the chapel of every hospital I’ve ever been in either as a patient or a visitor.
    I’ve yet to find one empty.
    What always moves me is the amount of posts you’ll read that start with “I’m not a believer myself but....”.
    The amount of proper atheists/agnostics about vast outweighs the vicious anti-theists posing as A/A.
    That’s good.

I'd say most of the people complaining about it being moved are doing so because it's being moved over one complaint and are tired of the bull from the always offended agenda that is taking over society. And nothing to do with going to the chapel or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They can go to the chapel if they’re looking for religious symbolism. It’s not being banned from the hospital, it’s still in the chapel. Should we have displays for all religious festivals of all kinds throughout the hospital? Or maybe the religious should d corset the chapel however they like and leave the rest of the hospital alone.

They can go to the chapel if they’re looking for religious symbolism. It’s not being banned from the hospital, it’s still in the chapel. Should we have displays for all religious festivals of all kinds throughout the hospital? Or maybe the religious should decorate the chapel however they like and leave the rest of the hospital alone.

I’m hoping that 2018 is going to be the year when everyone else choruses “nobody gives a bollix how you feel” every time someone takes offense.
    I’m going to lead the offensive (pardon the pun).

I'd say most of the people complaining about it being moved are doing so because it's being moved over one complaint and are tired of the bull from the always offended agenda that is taking over society. And nothing to do with going to the chapel or not.

The always offended? Like the ones who don’t care about cribs or religion and are offended that the crib is removed?

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m hoping that 2018 is going to be the year when everyone else choruses “nobody gives a bollix how you feel” every time someone takes offense.
    I’m going to lead the offensive (pardon the pun).

So your saying that nobody should care about those who’s feelings were hurt that the crib was removed?

• Advertisement

They can go to the chapel if they’re looking for religious symbolism. It’s not being banned from the hospital, it’s still in the chapel. Should we have displays for all religious festivals of all kinds throughout the hospital? Or maybe the religious should decorate the chapel however they like and leave the rest of the hospital alone.

I’d be delighted to see religious symbols of all kinds all over all public buildings.
    I can’t see how people of no belief can be offended by something they don’t recognise.
    It doesn’t make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RasTa wrote: »
    I had my first stay in hospital a few months back. Why was there people in normal clothes going around trying to hand out communion in the wards every day?

Blanchardstown hospital. Is this the same everywhere?

This is fairly common. Some places would be better than others. They are just the standard eucharistic ministers that you see at mass!

So your saying that nobody should care about those who’s feelings were hurt that the crib was removed?

Yes I am saying that. Why would you worry about me being disappointed if the crib were taken down?
    Do you think I would expect you to worry?
    Let the disappointed people sort out about the crib.
    It’s not something your interested in, the crib, so I wouldn’t involve you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Was it only one complaint? Have you numbers on file? Because 1 complaint is **** all, when it comes to hospitals. **** sake, people complain about the food every damn day, and it's still the same.

Maybe it came down to "It costs us HOW MUCH to set this ****e up, and store it,!?!" and the "complaint" was used as a get out.

Or possibly, maybe, could be, some hack journo ran with a story, when there's **** all happening on the run up to Christmas, for an easy story to fill lines and generate clicks.

It's probably more to do with people disliking change, and by **** do we hate change here. People bang on about the always offended? Well I agree, some of them are ****wits, but equally, the always offended at any change are the same.

In a year or two, they'll have forgotten about it, and moved on to the next shiteology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Christmas decorations are religious symbols, should be Christmas be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Same here. Wouldn't be a believer myself but wouldn't go out of my way to insult those that do.

Agreed. I don't believe in any of it but some things are just traditional parts of the occasion and could even be said to transcend religion.

This atheist says keep the cribs. :)

That's segregation El_Duderino surely some one as enlighted as you wouldn't want that in a secular society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Leave the crib.
    Add any other religious symbols to it to keep all sides happy.
    The militant Atheists can go and sh1te.

Why take something away that gives joy to others?
    Add more to give joy to more!

Its doing nobody any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I seen one that was just dogs and the baby jesus was a puppy. Changed my mind about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One would’ve thought that religion has done enough to damage to this country down the years, but no, it’s not enough for the religious extremists. Constantly wanting to push their agenda in public places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All this cribbing and cribs
    Makes me wanna spout in ad-libs
    I got no time for religion and all of its fibs
    But I still give no ****s about this

ICE ICE BABY

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You sound like an absolute blast to be around.

This time of year must be such a trigger for atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't understand why anyone cares tbh.

I'm atheist, but what's wrong with a crib? It's a kinda nice story of one person helping out a poor, tired family as best he could, and some others giving them gifts to help with their new baby.

Religious or not, it's a sweet idea and if it makes people happy, leave them to it.

If someone is of a different religious belief, let them put up their own religious symbols for their religious feasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If they believe god caused everything then surely they would believe god created doctors to help them heal. :confused:

Why would god create cancer though? Not being edgy, just wondering the thought process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

pjohnson wrote: »
    This time of year must be such a trigger for atheists.

Oh I'm sure they boycott Christmas and spend the day working ;)

Yeah I work with a pox and a half. Actually laughed when I said I was going to midnight mass.

Funny that when I told her thst even though we were off the building was open from 27th, she didn't immediately volunteer to work. Surely the time of year means nothing so why not???

Hypocritical ****.

Merry Christmas all !!!

Omackeral wrote: »
    If they believe god caused everything then surely they would believe god created doctors to help them heal. :confused:

Why would god create cancer though? Not being edgy, just wondering the thought process.

No you're not being edgy. You're trying to be though.

Em no. I'm actually just asking because I'm curious on the thought process of believers. If you can give me an answer, fire away.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One would’ve thought that religion has done enough to damage to this country down the years, but no, it’s not enough for the religious extremists. Constantly wanting to push their agenda in public places.

“One would’ve...”
    Getting ready for the Queens speech Zebra?
    Happy Christmas and God bless you!

Omackeral wrote: »

Em no. I'm actually just asking because I'm curious on the thought process of believers. If you can give me an answer, fire away.

If i knew the answer I'd be God not believe in Him.

• Advertisement

If i knew the answer I'd be God not believe in Him.

Ok so you don't know. That's fine. Was only asking a question regarding beliefs, no need to get so defensive and sarky and accusatory!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement