Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options
  • 24-12-2017 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Just wondering what people make of this...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/save-crib-petition-at-beaumont-hospital-gathers-1-000-signatures-1.3335652

Personally I think the cribs at the entrances to the wards are a good thing. They give a lot of people comfort particularly the elderly who may not have long left. I also fully understand that we live in a much more secular society but removing the cribs from the entrances to the ward seems a bit cruel... if only that it is giving some level of comfort to some people and a lot of our elderly.

From speaking to someone about it... and I don't know if it's true or not... a complaint was given to management from a member of another faith on the staff which kicked things off... I can't verify that though but apparently it's in another article. If this is the case then I think it's all rather pathetic.

Leave the cribs alone... they aren't hurting anyone and they are at the entrances only... not in everyones face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Now if only you could go to Saudi or elsewhere and complain about religious belief or symbolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

I really don't think pandering to delusional adults is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Really ? It's Christmas Eve ffs, can you not just let one go without slagging religion??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ohh sooooo edgy. God bless you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I had my first stay in hospital a few months back. Why was there people in normal clothes going around trying to hand out communion in the wards every day?

Blanchardstown hospital. Is this the same everywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who purchased the cribs in the first place? What budget does it come out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Classic case of policy designed to head off a controversy that doesn't exist, and so creating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some people like being offended so they can complain they are offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Lots of these people are old and have been taught throughout most of their entire life since they were very young children that god is very powerful and that he undoubtedly exists, by their parents ,family, school and the government. So obviously a lot of them will still be believing in it, and Im sure a lot of them on their way out of life at the moment take some level of comfort in the belief that god exists. So you can have a bit of respect for them

I don't believe in god but we as younger people grew up in a society that widely rejects religion so I can at least understand where the older generation are coming from though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RobertKK wrote: »
    Some people like being offended so they can complain they are offended.

And some people think you should be offended, so they complain on behalf of you.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

wakka12 wrote: »
    Lots of these people are old and have been taught throughout most of their entire life since they were very young children that god is very powerful and that he undoubtedly exists, by their parents ,family, school and the government. So obviously a lot of them will still be believing in it, and Im sure a lot of them on their way out of life at the moment take some level of comfort in the belief that god exists. So you can have a bit of respect for them

I don't believe in god but we as younger people grew up in a society that widely rejects religion so I can at least understand where the older generation are coming from though

Same here. Wouldn't be a believer myself but wouldn't go out of my way to insult those that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why should hospitals, places of science have religious symbolism in them in this day and age. Just don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

wakka12 wrote: »

Also, we should remember that these people may very well have seen their own relatives in Beaumont around Xmas before they passed away and the cribs have always been present for that before. To all of a sudden take them away would be terrible for them I think :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

All this cribbing and cribs
    Makes me wanna spout in ad-libs
    I got no time for religion and all of its fibs
    But I still give no ****s about this

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why should hospitals, places of science have religious symbolism in them in this day and age. Just don't see the point.

Because they give some people & a lot of our elderly comfort... this point has been well made already

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes because when you are in a hospital with someone who is seriously ill you have the time to get offended by a few fcuking plastic figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

In order to be more PC, why do management types subtract instead of add? Why remove cribs, when you can add a menorah at Honika, lights for Diwali, decorative slogans for Ramadan, and this would be more encompassing of other faiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RasTa wrote: »
    I had my first stay in hospital a few months back. Why was there people in normal clothes going around trying to hand out communion in the wards every day?

Blanchardstown hospital. Is this the same everywhere?

They are Lay People or Chaplans. There was probably just a Mass Celebrated in the Hospital RC Chapel/Oratory. Most Hospitals here have one, also have a CoI Chapel, and/or Multi-faith prayer rooms for other religions.

Considering that Ireland is also traditionally a RC country, people who are sick, may also find comfort in this.

Really ? It's Christmas Eve ffs, can you not just let one go without slagging religion??
    No.

Seriously.

Think about it.

A virgin birth(2000 yrs before IVF) of a women with a wood cutter. The son goes on to make the biggest capitalist discovery ever(turning water into wine, $$$$$) and then dies.Gets re-animated as a corpse 3 days later and causes mayhem for 100's and 100's of years.

Fast forward to now and those same believers belong to an organistation thats actively protected child abusers and facilitaed that abuse.

BTW the 24th/25th celebrate older gods than yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mikewalsh

In order to be more PC, why do management types subtract instead of add? Why remove cribs, when you can add a menorah at Honika, lights for Diwali, decorative slogans for Ramadan, and this would be more encompassing of other faiths.

There'd prob be no end to it once you start catering for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No.

Seriously.

Think about it.

A virgin birth(2000 yrs before IVF) of a women with a wood cutter. The son goes on to make the biggest capitalist discovery ever(turning water into wine, $$$$$) and then dies.Gets re-animated as a corpse 3 days later and causes mayhem for 100's and 100's of years.

Fast forward to now and those same believers belong to an organistation thats actively protected child abusers and facilitaed that abuse.

I see why you are alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A maternity scene in a hospital is offensive... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I'd be more worried about all the smokers having a fag outside the hospital entrance on the "smoke free"campus

God bless you.
    Whatever:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Those of other faiths are probably not in the least bit worried by a crib at Christmas at all.

Some suit with a clipboard I am guessing made this decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

No.

Seriously.

Think about it.

A virgin birth(2000 yrs before IVF) of a women with a wood cutter. The son goes on to make the biggest capitalist discovery ever(turning water into wine, $$$) and then dies.Gets re-animated as a corpse 3 days later and causes mayhem for 100's and 100's of years.

I'll pray for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No.

Seriously.

Think about it.

I'm sure Christmas Day in your house is a scream.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure Christmas Day in your house is a scream.

Ready meal for one surely.

I'd be more worried about all the smokers having a fag outside the hospital entrance on the "smoke free"campus

Like it or not... people that smoke are going to smoke. To make the whole site "smoke free" was ridiculous in the first place. I don't know if you know Beaumont Hospital but the grounds are huge! You usually see a load of the staff at one of the two entrances puffing away.

They should have just simply provided a smoking area.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I see why you are alone.
    either alone are go to a church lol

Gimme a break.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement