Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

There is no place for religious icons in any state funded institution
    End of

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

either alone are go to a church lol

Gimme a break.....

Well I cant imagine any family want you around preaching about priests being abusers in the middle of a family Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

baylah17 wrote: »
    End of

If it gives the older folk a bit of peace when they are ill what's the harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Gimme a break.....

You have one. Jesus got you a couple of days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

End of

I don't know if you still have grandparents or not.... even your parents who may be devout Christians... is that what you would tell them? On their deathbed in Beaumont or any other hospital? You don't think that would be cruel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

I'll pray for you.
    Cool. Thanks,but in fairness thats gonna do feck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cool. Thanks,but in fairness thats gonna do feck all.

Then I'll pray for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Then I'll pray for you too.

I'll give him 10 Hail Marys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll give him 10 Hail Marys :)

Great.

I'll do a act of contrition by proxy on his behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Gimme a break.....

They the only two options in your head? Good luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Oh for God’s sake. I’m an atheist and secularist, I don’t believe in religious instruction in schools and out legal system etc but you’d want to be doolally to be whinging about a bloody crib at Christmas time. If someone of a different faith finds themselves lacking then by all means whack up a Hindu/Muslim/Jewish effigy as well, I’m sure nobody will give a sh*te.

It sounds like one blowhard made a fuss and others hopped on it, meanwhile 99% of us reasonable characters couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

It being a Sunday - is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

chocksaway wrote: »
    It being a Sunday - is there anything to be said for another mass?

We would need a priest who can really work the altar :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Placebos work.
    Even when you know they are placebos.
    Even when the patients are medical staff and they know about the placebos.

If you believe then it can't hurt.
    If you don't believe then it can't hurt.

End of

Eh, when Irish people get on board the Atheist Express to the extent that they want to spend billions of euro buying the hospitals from the religious institutions which founded and continue to own them, "beggars can't be choosers" applies to the Irish state. Where are atheists going to find those billions to buy out religious ownership of the vast majority of hospitals and schools in Ireland? Well?

Cheeky, delusional bastards telling the RC that religious symbols are not acceptable on RC property. Brazen. Build your own hospitals on your own land and then you have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why should hospitals, places of science have religious symbolism in them in this day and age. Just don't see the point.

Science bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Usually things like this don’t bother me. I grew up in a multifaith home where religion wasn’t pushed on me.

But this irks me a lot. My mother’s jewish and I know that she finds it more upsetting then she’s willing to admit that the religious beliefs of some (mainly Christians) is constantly shoved down her throat. Yes it’s a catholic country and yes it’s happened for years but why do we have to continue?

All or none should be catered for and it’s impractical to think that all can be.

I understand the argument of elderly people but why should elderly people of a Christian faith get that comfort and not those of other faiths? It might be a catholic country but plenty of citizens are not Christian and they deserve to be afforded the same level of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Now if only you could go to Saudi or elsewhere and complain about religious belief or symbolism.

...whats that to do with cribs in beaumont?

End of

I don't know if you still have grandparents or not.... even your parents who may be devout Christians... is that what you would tell them? On their deathbed in Beaumont or any other hospital? You don't think that would be cruel?
    No I don't think it would be cruel
    It is not the place of the state to endorse one or any religion over another.
    Religion is something that belongs in the private sphere
    And by the way I'm 53 and my mother is battling cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Anyone outraged by a crib is nothing but a sad attention seeker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How long is a crib on display, a few weeks? Not worth getting upset about. It will be gone in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

No I don't think it would be cruel
    It is not the place of the state to endorse one or any religion over another.
    Religion is something that belongs in the private sphere
    And by the way I'm 53 and my mother is battling cancer

So endorse them all. Hindu shrines. Christian chapels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Eh, when Irish people get on board the Atheist Express to the extent that they want to spend billions of euro buying the hospitals from the religious institutions which founded and continue to own them, "beggars can't be choosers" applies to the Irish state. Where are atheists going to find those billions to buy out religious ownership of the vast majority of hospitals and schools in Ireland? Well?

Cheeky, delusional bastards telling the RC that religious symbols are not acceptable on RC property. Brazen. Build your own hospitals on your own land and then you have a point.

Who do you think pays for the staffing, supply and running of the hospital? Cop on to yourself. The Irish state owes absolutely nothing to the RCC after the decades of misery they inflicted on people here.

End of

If the RC paid back what they owe this state for the crimes against humanity that comitted they wouldn't own a matchbox
    And it is and always has been the state that had funded these hospitals

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Who do you think pays for the staffing, supply and running of the hospital? Cop on to yourself. The Irish state owes absolutely nothing to the RCC after the decades of misery they inflicted on people here.

Right. So the RC stops allowing the state to use its property for hospitals, and the state is going to have to spend billions to build a slew of state-owned hospitals... all because some atheist fundamentalists object to religious symbolism on religious-owned property? That's some costly "principled" stand from atheists. They own the hospitals no matter how much you want to deny it, and the state is very lucky financially not to be forced to build its own hospitals.

Taco Chips wrote: »

Right. So the RC stops allowing the state to use its property for hospitals, and the state is going to have to spend billions to build a slew of state-owned hospitals... all because some atheist fundamentalists object to religious symbolism on religious-owned property? That's some costly "principled" stand from atheists. They own the hospitals no matter how much you want to deny it, and the state is very lucky financially not to be forced to build its own hospitals.
    No
    The state just needs to nationalize these institutions
    Take them back
    As reparations for the crimes against humanity comitted by the Roman Catholic crime syndicate against the people of this Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

If the RC paid back what they owe this state for the crimes against humanity that comitted they wouldn't own a matchbox

The religious supplied free or cheap labour.

Why do I get the feeling I am listening an orange order bigot circa 1950 when I’m listening to a new atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Athiests spend more time trying convince you that God doesn't exist than any priest would bother telling you he does.

Why do I get the feeling I am listening an orange order bigot circa 1950 when I’m listening to a new atheist.
    Free or cheap labour
    You mean the female slaves of the Magdalene laundered?
    And no Orangeman has ever been as bigoted as John Charles McQuaid and his blackshirted disciples

• Advertisement

How much cheap labour did it take to throw the murdered bodies of hundreds of babies and children into a septic tank in Tuam?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement