Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

baylah17 wrote: »
    How much cheap labour did it take to throw the murdered bodies of hundreds of babies and children into a septic tank in Tuam?

What has this got to do with a crib beside a door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Usually things like this don’t bother me. I grew up in a multifaith home where religion wasn’t pushed on me.

But this irks me a lot. My mother’s jewish and I know that she finds it more upsetting then she’s willing to admit that the religious beliefs of some (mainly Christians) is constantly shoved down her throat. Yes it’s a catholic country and yes it’s happened for years but why do we have to continue?

All or none should be catered for and it’s impractical to think that all can be.

I understand the argument of elderly people but why should elderly people of a Christian faith get that comfort and not those of other faiths? It might be a catholic country but plenty of citizens are not Christian and they deserve to be afforded the same level of comfort.

It says in the article that the HSE respects the spiritual practice of all. Everybody is afforded the same level of comfort.

If anybody is being denied spiritual comfort. It's the Christians for the sake of being non PC.

Do you think that is fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

How much cheap labour did it take to throw the murdered bodies of hundreds of babies and children into a septic tank in Tuam?

Look if you are the kind of orange order fanatic who hates cribs because they are catholic why not pretend they are Protestant cribs and you’d feel better about yourself?

If the RC paid back what they owe this state for the crimes against humanity that comitted they wouldn't own a matchbox
    And it is and always has been the state that had funded these hospitals

If the state paid for its own education system in the first place rather than relied on religious institutions to provide the property while turning a blind eye to abuses by those institutions the state's status as a victim entitled to compensation might have some merit. If anything, the state is more guilty as it had a representative mandate from the people yet still collaborated in everythng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Usually things like this don’t bother me. I grew up in a multifaith home where religion wasn’t pushed on me.

But this irks me a lot. My mother’s jewish and I know that she finds it more upsetting then she’s willing to admit that the religious beliefs of some (mainly Christians) is constantly shoved down her throat. Yes it’s a catholic country and yes it’s happened for years but why do we have to continue?

All or none should be catered for and it’s impractical to think that all can be.

I understand the argument of elderly people but why should elderly people of a Christian faith get that comfort and not those of other faiths? It might be a catholic country but plenty of citizens are not Christian and they deserve to be afforded the same level of comfort.

It says in the article that the HSE respects the spiritual practice of all. Everybody is afforded the same level of comfort.

If anybody is being denied spiritual comfort. It's the Christians for the sake of being non PC.

Yes
    Spiritual belief is a private affair and has no place being endorsed by the state
    Hospitals are places where science is harnessed to cure not a place where one groups superstitions should be given prominence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

If the RC paid back what they owe this state for the crimes against humanity that comitted they wouldn't own a matchbox
    And it is and always has been the state that had funded these hospitals

If the state paid for its own education system in the first place rather than relied on religious institutions to provide the property while turning a blind eye to abuses by those institutions the state's status as a victim entitled to compensation might have some merit. If anything, the state is more guilty as it had a representative mandate from the people yet still collaborated in everythng.
    Such is the delusion that has led to some of the worst crimes against humanity ever comitted being defended
    Thus is the mouthpiece for Opus Dei

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I was referring to what some posters had said about it being of comfort to the elderly. It’s a comfort those of other faiths aren’t provided because there is no religious idols of those faiths in the hospital.

Christians aren’t denied that. And to think they are shows a total lack of understanding of what those of none Christian faiths experience in Ireland which is little to no tolerance or acceptance by institutes that are meant to be secular.

The cribs should stay for tradition.

I do believe however that our hospitals should cater to all faiths and none. They aren’t just “scientific establishments” but places where people are born, are sick and die. Giving some people spiritual comfort where needed, from a rabbi, catholic priest, vicar, Hindu priest or Muslim cleric (etc) is a duty of care in my opinion.

And to annoy the utter cock waddles of the new atheist movement let’s have religious symbols too, so they can get ever more fanatically annoyed and we can laugh at them.

Such is the delusion that has led to some of the worst crimes against humanity ever comitted being defended

Oh ffs. Please read some history.

I was referring to what some posters had said about it being of comfort to the elderly. It’s a comfort those of other faiths aren’t provided because there is no religious idols of those faiths in the hospital.

Christians aren’t denied that. And to think they are shows a total lack of understanding of what those of none Christian faiths experience in Ireland which is little to no tolerance or acceptance by institutes that are meant to be secular.

So do you want to deny Christians this comfort or allow Jewish religious symbols as well? If you think it’s a comfort why not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I really don't think pandering to delusional adults is the way to go.

That’s true. But have you sought treatment for your delusions?

The HSE respects all religions are muslims force fed during ramadan are jews denied non kosher food?

Is there any Iman or Kohen denied entry to Beaumount?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

The HSE respects all religions are muslims force fed during ramadan are jews denied non kosher food?

Is there any Iman or Kohen denied entry to Beaumount?

I don't know what a jew-denied-non-kosher-eater is.

kuang1 wrote: »
    I don't know what a jew-denied-non-kosher-eater is.

Good for you.

Good for you.

Clearly I haven't left the parish of termonfeckin my whole life.

I can give you a detailed rundown of a tracker mortgage though! :)

Communist regimes murdered 60 million people worldwide in the 20th century alone.
    This is the mouthpeace for Atheism.

Great.

I'll do a act of contrition by proxy on his behalf.

I’m just back from my Christmas Eve mass. Huge Cathedral packed to the rafters with families.
    Beautiful holy mass
    Beautiful singing of carols and hymns
    Baby baptised after mass
    Baby Jesus carried to the crib.
    Archbishop just told us Croke Park has been deemed insufficient for the amount of people who want to go to the Popes Mass in Dublin ( not even official yet ) so it’s going to be in Phoenix Park!
    You heard it here first folks!
    Merry Christmas everyone and may the baby Jesus bless you all!
    ( it is so ducking great being a Catholic).

Brilliant. :)

Happy Christmas Catholics!

Edit: Oops.
    And non catholics too of course.

RasTa wrote: »
    I had my first stay in hospital a few months back. Why was there people in normal clothes going around trying to hand out communion in the wards every day?

Blanchardstown hospital. Is this the same everywhere?

They were only giving communion to the Catholics. Did you not want the bedridden Catholics to get communion?

Yes because when you are in a hospital with someone who is seriously ill you have the time to get offended by a few fcuking plastic figures

Some people will be lifting their heads up from their own deathbeds to express how offended they are by the curtains around the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m just back from my Christmas Eve mass. Huge Cathedral packed to the rafters with families.
    Beautiful holy mass
    Beautiful singing of carols and hymns
    Baby baptised after mass
    Baby Jesus carried to the crib.
    Archbishop just told us Croke Park has been deemed insufficient for the amount of people who want to go to the Popes Mass in Dublin ( not even official yet ) so it’s going to be in Phoenix Park!
    You heard it here first folks!
    Merry Christmas everyone and may the baby Jesus bless you all!
    ( it is so ducking great being a Catholic).

To be fair, I'm an atheist, and even worse, a Protestant atheist, and I knew that about 5 weeks ago.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/17/news/phoenix-park-will-host-pope-francis-farewell-mass--1189450/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I had my first stay in hospital a few months back. Why was there people in normal clothes going around trying to hand out communion in the wards every day?

Yep, happened to me too when I was in A&E on a Sunday morning. I politely declined.

To be fair, I'm an atheist, and even worse, a Protestant atheist, and I knew that about 5 weeks ago.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/17/news/phoenix-park-will-host-pope-francis-farewell-mass--1189450/

Well what were you keeping it to yourself for?!? You do know the GAA moved the All Ireland Hurling Final date for the first time in over 100 years?!?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yep, happened to me too when I was in A&E on a Sunday morning. I politely declined.

They won’t know your not a Catholic until they ask.
    Thank you for being polite. It’s a difficult job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why do people that believe in a god go to hospital? If they believe god causes everything then surely the doctors and treatments are useless.

Probably because they were priests, or what have ye.

Same for Presbyterians, or Church of Ireland, although that tends to be a once a week job.

Last time I had an extended stay in hospital, I had the local minister visit me. I'm down on the records as Presbyterian, I've changed it a couple of times to "none," but it still happens.

He popped in, chatted for a bit, asked if I wanted to pray. I told him I wasn't a believer, that it was an error, but my Catholic wife wouldn't mind an oul pray. He went over to her (she was outside the ward, giving me a bit of space with a visitor), they had a little chat, they bowed their heads, about 30 seconds later they raised their heads, they shook hands, and off he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

RobertKK wrote: »
    Some people like being offended so they can complain they are offended.
    Do you mean the ones who are offended by the crib or the ones offended by objecting to the crib?

All the talk all about old folks and their need of cribs to be happy about their imminent death as if they’re just simple fools who need to be placated. Have the old folks said they need cribs or is this a case of being offended on their behalf? A kind of conservative ‘virtue signaling’?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why do people that believe in a god go to hospital? If they believe god causes everything then surely the doctors and treatments are useless.

If they believe god caused everything then surely they would believe god created doctors to help them heal. :confused:

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

My mother in law is a nurse, and is a believer.

My wife's uncle is a doctor, and is a believer.

A belief in a higher power doesn't mean you don't believe in science and medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone outraged by a crib is nothing but a sad attention seeker.

Anyone supporting the placing of religious crap on state property is nothing but a sad attention seeker.

Many elderly people have suffered greatly at the hands of religious terror organisations over the years, be it being raped, enslaved, or tortured and probably don't want to see that sort of crap about the place.

Do the Scientologists get to place their propaganda in our hospitals as well?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement