Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Every Xmas I see cribs go up around the place. Shopping centres, schools, o connell St... They're everywhere. And it's pisses me off. Every single one has a baby Jesus in it. Your not supposed to put the baby jesus in until Dec 25.

Seriously Christians, get your act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

splinter65 wrote: »
    Don’t you think your being terribly precious? Someone stuck their head in at you and asked you if you wanted communion. You said no. They then followed that up by asking if you had a belief. You answered. I assume they then moved on.
    Is it that you were frightened? Disturbed? Offended?
    Honestly, can you not see how ridiculous it sounds “should they be allowed to ask you that”?
    Do you go to work? Do you live away from home?
    Life is kinda full of interaction with other humans.
    If your going to need prior notice of being spoken too, plus time to consider wether or not this person should be “allowed” to speak to you, your going to find life pretty difficult.

They did it everyday. Not a huge issue but you have to agree it has no place inside a hospital, similar to a crib.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Odhinn wrote: »
    Nope.

What has the crimes of communist regimes to do with anything?

You can keep this up for a whole thread. What’s this got to do with this?
    The poster was doing the usual anti theist thing of blaming the worlds ill on religion.
    I pointed out communist atrocities.
    V
    But you knew that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Blazer wrote: »
    Doubt it. We really don’t give a rats ass what people display for Xmas be it a Santa clause or a crib. If people are happy with it then who am I to complain about it.
    What they should have done was
    “We’ve reviewed your complaint and basically you can sod right off,
    If it offends you that much take Xmas off without pay.”
    You doubt it was those atheists I suggest you 're read the thread

RasTa wrote: »
    They did it everyday. Not a huge issue but you have to agree it has no place inside a hospital, similar to a crib.

Yes it has place in a hospital.
    If I’m lying sick in hospital unable to get out, I would like communion every day.
    It’s not inconveniencing one singlevother person.
    Exactly how does it affect you in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It bothers me because in my view it's not just about religion, Christmas is a deeply ingrained cultural as well as religious tradition for anyone who grew up in Ireland in the twentieth century, so to demand that this be hidden away is essentially demanding that culture be sanitised.

Let me put this another way - St Patrick's Day is very clearly a religious ceremony, St Patrick was a religious icon whose entire claim to fame is how he managed to explain Christianity to the Irish using the shamrock as a metaphor. Should we therefore not have anything to do with St Patrick's Day in public? No parades? No shamrocks? No grand, public celebrations? Should the walls of our hospitals be entirely free from St Patrick's Day related cheer for those unfortunate enough to be stuck in hospital away from the craic?

And think this through even further - what about children's wards and children's hospitals? Should those kids who are facing the awful prospect of spending Christmas Day in hospital (I've done this in the past as a teenager, it's not fun) be denied any Christmas cheer at all? None of the familiarity of a Christmas Tree, decorations, cribs, carols etc - just because it might offend some absolute buzzkill gobsh!tes?

People who are thinking about this from a purely religious standpoint and ignoring the huge psychological and cultural conditioning people who have grown up in Ireland have about Christmas are being ridiculous. It's not about religion, it's about the familiarity of "home". Christmas is part of that, and nowhere is that more desperately important than in the otherwise bleak and depressing environment of a building full of sick, injured, and dying people.

To be fair St. Patricks day was a religious holiday. The pubs even closed. It was changed so that Americans coming over here could celebrate it the way they did at home. Getting drunk and having parades is the American way to celebrate St. Patricks day, there's nothing Irish about it.
    We just adopted it because we made money from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If I’m lying sick in hospital unable to get out, I would like communion every day.

Well I was in 4 wards over 10 days, finally at the end was in one by myself and ol Mary still popped in offering communion.

We should have Iman's and Rabbi's patrolling the wards too in case anyone whats some of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair St. Patricks day was a religious holiday. The pubs even closed. It was changed so that Americans coming over here could celebrate it the way they did at home. Getting drunk and having parades is the American way to celebrate St. Patricks day, there's nothing Irish about it.
    We just adopted it because we made money from it.

So there's nothing commercial or American-appropriated about the way we celebrate Christmas at all then? Ho ho ho :rolleyes:

Maybe they do it as maybe some people can't get out if there beds so they go around. Some people go to mass each day. Don't worry you can't catch religion by people saying something.

Well I was in 4 wards over 10 days, finally at the end was in one by myself and ol Mary still popped in offering communion.

We should have Iman's and Rabbi's patrolling the wards too in case anyone whats some of their stuff.

Maybe they should have a Rabbi or a Iman. Would not trigger me in the slightest. 2 words no thank you

• Advertisement

I don’t see why not. Can you tell me how you were inconvenienced in any way by this.
    Or were you just “offended”?

Maybe they should have a Rabbi or a Iman. Would not trigger me in the slightest. 2 words no thank you

Actually I’m quite certain that all kinds of ministers are available in the hospital.
    Anyone “affected” by this abomination needs to speak to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

tigger123 wrote: »
    I believe in the separation of church and state, so don't think cribs should be in wards and hospitals. For me there's a direct link between allowing the soft side of religion into public spaces like this (where it permeates wider culture) and the arguments against SSM and repealing the 8th amendment (which, traditionally, religion stands against).

Manure .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You can keep this up for a whole thread. What’s this got to do with this?
    The poster was doing the usual anti theist thing of blaming the worlds ill on religion.
    I pointed out communist atrocities.
    V
    But you knew that anyway.

He didn't, which is why I brought it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yep, conservative virtue signaling.

Happy Christmas.
    Hope you don't stumble upon a crib in case you explode in rage because of an iconic Christmas nativity scene in an Irish hospital.
    Sad.Really sad and this comment of yours just shows how sad.
    Virtue signalling...i feel sorry for you.
    Happy Christmas...no offence.

Again, this thread was for the people who took offence at the absented a crib.

In the designated religious area they can do what they like. The idea that nothing must change, conservative virtue signalling and the idea the Christians need to publicly display their religion even outside their religious space, religious Virtue signalling, is what this thread is dedicated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

[IMG
    Then I'll pray for you too.

437046.jpeg

MrP

Leave the crib.
    Add any other religious symbols to it to keep all sides happy.
    The militant Atheists can go and sh1te.

Exactly. For the sake of equality surely the Muslim community deserve to have depictions of their god next to depictions of the Christian god...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Getting offended by a crib.
    Ah here, fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I think you'll find that since the Jewish and Muslim communities are so small the Rabbi or Inman would go to the hospital to visit specific people rather than trawling the wards looking for believers.

Exactly. For the sake of equality surely the Muslim community deserve to have depictions of their god next to depictions of the Christian god...

Ahh... I see what you did there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

tigger123 wrote: »
    I believe in the separation of church and state, so don't think cribs should be in wards and hospitals. For me there's a direct link between allowing the soft side of religion into public spaces like this (where it permeates wider culture) and the arguments against SSM and repealing the 8th amendment (which, traditionally, religion stands against).

The sight of a crib will turn people who weren’t previously catholic or Christian into religious types?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Brilliant ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Then you can, oh I don't know maybe request it. I'm sure many people don't like uninvited strangers just coming into their room, priest or not.

Then you can, oh I don't know maybe request it. I'm sure many people don't like uninvited strangers just coming into their room, priest or not.

They’re not in a room. They’re in a public ward. When your in a public ward here is a list of uninvited strangers who come in:
    1. Every other patients visitors
    2. Catering staff
    3. Cleaners
    4. Porters
    5. Social workers
    6. Public health nurses
    7. Administrative staff
    Lots of these people speak to you, uninvited, even if you have drawn the screens around your bed.
    They do not ask permission to speak to you. They may ask you to clarify your response.
    The pretentiousness in your post is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

They’re not in a room. They’re in a public ward. When your in a public ward here is a list of uninvited strangers who come in:
    1. Every other patients visitors
    2. Catering staff
    3. Cleaners
    4. Porters
    5. Social workers
    6. Public health nurses
    7. Administrative staff
    Lots of these people speak to you, uninvited, even if you have drawn the screens around your bed.
    They do not ask permission to speak to you. They may ask you to clarify your response.
    The pretentiousness in your post is laughable.

When they are doing their job in relation to my medical care they are by default invited. Religious figures peddling their wares are not. The pretentiousness of your post thinking that your religious needs should somehow have to be endured by others is what is laughable. Keep your fairytales in the church or in private at request.

When they are doing their job in relation to my medical care they are by default invited. Religious figures peddling their wares are not. The pretentiousness of your post thinking that your religious needs should somehow have to be endured by others is what is laughable. Keep your fairytales in the church or in private at request.

But you can’t decide who can and cannot walk into a public ward.
    What on earth would make you think that you can?
    The hospital have decided they can and indeed invite them too.
    Your breathtaking arrogance is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Isn't it amazing that God created the earth while in the dark. Says it right there in the bible. Unbelievable Jeff.

And don't get me started on Noah building an ark for some 20 million animals to fit inside. Some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

On one hand I thought you must have been a blast at the dinner table, then realised your rambling on boards. Hope the ready meal was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

The sight of a crib will turn people who weren’t previously catholic or Christian into religious types?

No, of course not.

But it's the thin edge of the wedge is what I'm saying. The kind of soft permeation of religion in this way makes it more difficult to untangle it from the bigger issues, such as repealing the 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Thats how it works. On request.

Also if you are not in a private room strangers are all over the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement