Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Yeah I meant ISIS when I said secular

I was comparing the new atheist iconoclasm to ISIS.
    I still stand by the statement the state should not pander to wilfully delusional adults.

Hospitals should pander to the dying or sick as best they can. Religious belief can be a good placebo.

Also any other religious and scientific people want to explain how they square off the bunkum in the bible(or indeed the koran,torah or the flying spagetti monsters top 10 pasta dishes(1st edition) )seeing as peterparker put me on ignore rather than growing a pair(or whatever the female equivilent is) and answering me?

I generally don’t respond to people who use the term “flying spagetti monster” as it denotes a form
    of limited intelligence and vulgar secondhand wit, but...

I’ve already given you an example of a person much smarter than you - the greatest scientist of the 19C Maxwell who was a Presbyterian elder. You could try read a biography to work out why he could merge science and religion so easily. It’s largely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Should Christ the Redeemer be pulled down?

I see no need.
    splinter65 wrote:
    That works both ways. Why should a statue make him uncomfortable?

Not really.

I would guess he doesn't subscribe to catholicism, though in truth that describes the majority of the population, whether they have difficulty in admitting it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

You left out yoda :rolleyes::P:pac:

DRmymXcX0AErDIu.jpg

Now post a funny picture of mohammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

DRmymXcX0AErDIu.jpg

I’ve seen barbies and kens and plastic elephants in cribs.
    I hope you don’t think that that picture is offensive in any way....it’s the second time you’ve gone to the bother of posting it. You do know your wasting your time?...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

splinter65 wrote: »
    If your not religious then why on earth would you care what religious artifacts are on the wall in the room you won’t be going into?!?
    Do you even realize how that reads ?

what I mean is its a space for everyone . of all faiths or none to go and pray or reflect. sit in a quite space maybe an outside garden to relax in.

having it a non demo national area allows everybody to use it not just one faith

• Advertisement

If your not religious then why on earth would you care what religious artifacts are on the wall in the room you won’t be going into?!?
    Do you even realize how that reads ?

In a country where there are large numbers of people who have been instituionally abused, had their names blackened by the church, been disenfrachised and raped, should it suprise you at all that some don't want reminders of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

what I mean is its a space for everyone . of all faiths or none to go and pray or reflect. sit in a quite space maybe an outside garden to relax in.

having it a non demo national area allows everybody to use it not just one faith

This reminds me of the proposal for 'a moment of reflection' instead of the Angelus, a typically meaningless, soulless, empty proposal from the atheist mob.

This is a catalonian thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

https://www.caganer.com/en/

No the people sho worship Mohammed are mostly brown or black and as such are within the left wing stable of “they who must be revered and respected at all times”.
    It’s point 6 or 7 on the modern Irish liberal handbook 2018 version.
    Underneath
    “Sky fairy” and above “spaghetti monster in the sky”.

Odhinn wrote: »
    In a country where there are large numbers of people who have been instituionally abused, had their names blackened by the church, been disenfrachised and raped, should it suprise you at all that some don't want reminders of that?

What utter bull****. There has been far more abuse in state institutions. Should we close all care homes?

• Advertisement

No the people sho worship Mohammed are mostly brown or black and as such are within the left wing stable of “they who must be revered and respected at all times”.
    It’s point 6 or 7 on the modern Irish liberal handbook 2018 version.
    Underneath
    “Sky fairy” and above “spaghetti monster in the sky”.

More of that peace and calm eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

as much as you want it , this thread isnt about Islam.

What utter bull****. There has been far more abuse in state institutions. Should we close all care homes?

state institutions were by and large run by religous orders.

why is a non-catholic moment of reflection "soulless"?

And there are huge huge numbers of people, of many faiths, who WERENT abused in any way who would like to sit in peace surrounded by symbols of their faith.
    What about what they want?

This reminds me of the proposal for 'a moment of reflection' instead of the Angelus, a typically meaningless, soulless, empty proposal from the atheist mob.

so your beliefs are the only ones that should be represented. there is at least 25% of this country that have no or other beliefs. its probably higher in reality.

why cant everybody be catered for

There has been far more abuse in state institutions.
    State institutions ran by the RCC.

And this is why we need the secular separation.

Why are we referencing Catholicism with regards to a crib? Cribs are Christian.

so your beliefs are the only ones that should be represented. there is at least 25% of this country that have no or other beliefs. its probably higher in reality.

why cant everybody be catered for

But alot of people like the Angelus.
    If they didn’t it wouldn’t be on the Telly.
    What about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

as much as you want it , this thread isnt about Islam.

It's about religion and how you detest it. You have no problem putting up a picture mocking Christianity. Why not mohammed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Now if only you could go to Saudi or elsewhere and complain about religious belief or symbolism.

I don't really think this argument holds up. We shouldn't set our standards by the lowest common denominator.

That said, I don't really mind the cribs in hospitals, even though I'm not religious.

• Advertisement

And there are huge huge numbers of people, of many faiths, who WERENT abused in any way who would like to sit in peace surrounded by symbols of their faith.
    What about what they want?

Yet only one faith is represented. And, again, those who claim adherence to that faith and those that could realistically be called that based on how they live their lives do not equate to the same number, overall.

Do you realize how hypocritical you liberals are? Because there were individuals within the church who abused people, Catholic iconography now represents rape and abuse. If somebody said - wrongly- that a minaret represents suicide bombing and oppression of women you would piss your pants and cry about islamophobia. The hypocrisy is staggering. You really are just a gang of bullies.

What about them?

its about time it was put to bed entirely.
    if that is important to your faith then you can arrange for it to be played in your house .
    other faiths must have some way to play any similar recoding's thy like.

What about them?

Well for one its on a subsidised state channel so its popularity is nothing to do with its continued broadcast.

Yet only one faith is represented. And, again, those who claim adherence to that faith and those that could realistically be called that based on how they live their lives do not equate to the same number, overall.

I would welcome any religious symbol on public display anywhere.
    If you have witnessed religious discrimination anywhere I hope you’ve reported it to the equality authority.
    I certainly will.

Do you realize how hypocritical you liberals are? Because there were individuals within the church who abused people, Catholic iconography now represents rape and abuse.

That's not what I stated, however.

While you might claim that individuals acting on their own were the abusers, it is fact that it was the church (and the state) that covered up the abuse, thus prolonging it.

Do you realize how hypocritical you liberals are? Because there were individuals within the church who abused people, Catholic iconography now represents rape and abuse. If somebody said - wrongly- that a minaret represents suicide bombing and oppression of women you would piss your pants and cry about islamophobia. The hypocrisy is staggering. You really are just a gang of bullies.

This 100 times.
    It’s breathtaking.

I would welcome any religious symbol on public display anywhere.
    If you have witnessed religious discrimination anywhere I hope you’ve reported it to the equality authority.
    I certainly will.

Not everything can be reported as a crime in law.

That's not what I stated, however.

While you might claim that individuals acting on their own were the abusers, it is fact that it was the church (and the state) that covered up the abuse, thus prolonging it.

You did in fact condemn catholic iconography because of the previous abuses. You also seem to think that a crib is catholic. It isn’t.

• Advertisement

. Why not mohammed?

Charlie-Hebdo-Fired.jpg
    It has big words and in french..you ok with that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement