Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

RobertKK wrote: »
    It was a Catholic priest who came up with the big bang theory.

Can you explain that?
    The big bang theory I know has no bearded sky fairy in it so I guess the science is good(as of now).

Plenty of clergy were involved in Astronomy at the start,facing excommunication and murder and in fairness skillfully walked a very tight line between blasphemy and science.Its the science they are known for not their "faith". And its the science that has been tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Care to share how you square off the virgin birth,turning water into wine,the rising of a person that was dead 3 days later from a scientific point of view?

Nevermind the rest of the brainfarts that are contained in the bible and the mental gymnastics needed to believe them.

I dunno but the most brilliant physicist of the James Clerk Maxwell managed it, as did most 19C scientists.

Not that’s anything got to with fanatics hating a crib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

God bless the ignore button!!!

God bless the ignore button!!!
    Dont answer then:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

nope not gonna happen. I love this country too much.

If you want to see a crib have one in your house or go to an empty church with a reduced amount of masses with priests imported from abroad. At least you'll get a front row view if anything.

Whether you like it or not Ireland will eventually be secular. The writing is on the wall and you know it.

If by secular you mean that the ISIS like hatred of iconography that the new atheists indulge in is the future, no it won’t. Luckily the anti crib fanatics are a tiny minority.

Cribs are here to stay at Christmas, along with public Christmas trees and other iconography. Hopefully more faiths will add more to the mosaic and be public ally funded to boot, and I say that not because I am a believer but because I am pluralistic.

• Advertisement

If by secular you mean that the ISIS
    Yeah I meant ISIS when I said secular :rolleyes:

I still stand by the statement the state should not pander to wilfully delusional adults.

Also any other religious and scientific people want to explain how they square off the bunkum in the bible(or indeed the koran,torah or the flying spagetti monsters top 10 pasta dishes(1st edition) )seeing as peterparker put me on ignore rather than growing a pair(or whatever the female equivilent is) and answering me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I don't mind the crib cause it's there for only a few weeks. I do have a huge problem with holy statues in the grounds of and on the wards of hospitals. If you want comfort from your religion go to the hospital chapel or bring a prayer book with you. Bugger off with your statues and crucifixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Crea wrote: »
    I don't mind the crib cause it's there for only a few weeks. I do have a huge problem with holy statues in the grounds of and on the wards of hospitals. If you want comfort from your religion go to the hospital chapel or bring a prayer book with you. Bugger off with your statues and crucifixes.

Don't go there then. Bugger off with your sanctimonious self centered attitude.

Bring a mirror with you for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I voted yes to marriage equality.

I'll vote no to the repeal bill if the "weeks" go beyond 12.

I went to Mass the say before yesterday and will go again Sunday this week.

I'm an intelligent woman who is both religious and scientific.

Please stop assuming every churchgoer is a mindless drone who is controlled in all thoughts by the church.

Abortion was legalized in the UK at 12 weeks and it’s now 24 weeks.
    That’s the way that goes, once the genies out of the bottle you can’t get it back in....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So he should stay out of the hospital.

Really a great advertisement for irish catholicism, parts of this thread.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    That’s the way that goes, once the genies out of the bottle you can’t get it back in....

Not the case in France, Spain, Italy etc. though. They have managed to keep a restriction on abortion - no reason we can't do the same

Odhinn wrote: »
    So he should stay out of the hospital.

Really a great advertisement for irish catholicism, parts of this thread.

If he feels that uncomfortable about it why not?

Don't go where? To hospital?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I voted yes to marriage equality.

I'll vote no to the repeal bill if the "weeks" go beyond 12.

I went to Mass the say before yesterday and will go again Sunday this week.

I'm an intelligent woman who is both religious and scientific.

Please stop assuming every churchgoer is a mindless drone who is controlled in all thoughts by the church.

Given that from work I learned the brain stem is formed from 15-18 weeks gestation that's why 12 is my cut off.

As to the general point I've just called my near 80 year old dad in his nursing home to say goodnight and God bless.

It comforts him and it is hurting no one.

If he feels that uncomfortable about it why not?

illness, death, pain, suffering - that sort of stuff.

Crea wrote: »
    Don't go where? To hospital?????

You feel uncomfortable then yes. The hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

But yet you wilfully believe in nonsense?(think they use the word "faith" to excuse the nonsense amongst themselves).

Can you explain that to me?

An Ireland run by intolerant fanatics like you is one I wouldn't want to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there should be 100% secular state. there is no place for any religion in any hospital, school or state funded buildings etc.

I don't mind there being an area in a hospital or hospice that is set aside for someone to go and pray or reflect. it should be non denominational and have no artefacts for any one faith. if there are members of any faith in the building then they can go there and pray or reflect , if they want a priest or similar there then they can arrange that. if there are sufficient numbers to warrant it then the priest or similar can book a time slot and do a mass etc. treat it like a community hall . if you have an event then you book a time slot.

An Ireland run by intolerant fanatics like you is one I wouldn't want to live in.

"intolerant", you say?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105653339&postcount=330

nope not gonna happen. I love this country too much.

If you want to see a crib have one in your house or go to an empty church with a reduced amount of masses with priests imported from abroad. At least you'll get a front row view if anything.

Whether you like it or not Ireland will eventually be secular. The writing is on the wall and you know it.

Nah....like everyone else in the country apart from a tiny handful of hate filled cranks I love to see the cribs everywhere, love to see the parents pointing their children out the little baby Jesus, the lambs, the donkey...
    There’s a full size one in the window of the hardware shop down the road, lovely to see the children looking in the window at the blinking star today...
    It’s what Christmas is all about though, at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

illness, death, pain, suffering - that sort of stuff.

What comforts people in Illness, death and pain?

Their faith and a possibility of it's not the end there is a hope for an after life .

Why would you take that away from them when they need it the most?

You feel uncomfortable then yes. The hospital.

So I should avoid going for medical treatment because I don't like religious iconography being overtly displayed in public buildings. Seriously?
    Given that religious statues are against bible teachings I thought you'd be all for removing them.

love to see the parents pointing their children out the little baby Jesus, the lambs, the donkey...
    You left out yoda :rolleyes::P:pac:

DRmymXcX0AErDIu.jpg

What comforts people in Illness, death and pain?

Their faith and a possibility of it's not the end their is hope for an after life .

Why would you take that away from them when they need it the most?

I haven't suggested taking away anything. The other poster objected to religous statues in hospitals. If you think that removing a statue removes a persons faith then you seem to view faith in quite a dim light.

Yes, intolerant. What has that post got to do with anything?

I haven't suggested taking away anything. The other poster objected to religous statues in hospitals. If you think that removing a statue removes a persons faith then you seem to view faith in quite a dim light.

Should Christ the Redeemer be pulled down?

That works both ways. Why should a statue make him uncomfortable?

Should that statue be removed simply for him?

Yes, intolerant. What has that post got to do with anything?

Well, you seem to have a problem with multiculturalism, and have it in for Bradford for reasons we might guess at. That would be fairly intolerant.

there should be 100% secular state. there is no place for any religion in any hospital, school or state funded buildings etc.

I don't mind there being an area in a hospital or hospice that is set aside for someone to go and pray or reflect. it should be non denominational and have no artefacts for any one faith. if there are members of any faith in the building then they can go there and pray or reflect , if they want a priest or similar there then they can arrange that. if there are sufficient numbers to warrant it then the priest or similar can book a time slot and do a mass etc. treat it like a community hall . if you have an event then you book a time slot.

If your not religious then why on earth would you care what religious artifacts are on the wall in the room you won’t be going into?!?
    Do you even realize how that reads ?

• Advertisement

Should Christ the Redeemer be pulled down?

What hospital is he in??????😂😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement