Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tbh I'm. A self confessed xmas hater...gladly ban it :D

But why waste state money on it is all....Church is richest organisation in the state....why are taxpayers subsidising cribs,decorations etc about the place

The crib is not connected to any church.
    Sorted, next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

One other thing: I guarantee you 99 per cent of Muslims, Hindus etc would have no problem with a crib being present in a hospital. This is just the usual politically correct cranks getting offended on everyone else's behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The crib already exists, so costs no money .and the space it occupies is already free, unless they plan to put some beds into the entrance lobby.
    Sorted, next.

And I supposed staff are coming in on the day off to put it up in their free time?

And I supposed staff are coming in on the day off to put it up in their free time?

oh the horror!! Somebody has to put up the crib!! The humanity!!

The crib is not connected to any church.
    Sorted, next.

So it's not a religious symbol. ...what world yous inhabiting?

• Advertisement

oh the horror!! Somebody has to put up the crib!! The humanity!!

Well don't see why taxpayers money is going on putting it up???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

kylith wrote: »
    Why can't we be a multicultural paradise where everyone belongs?

Go to Bradford in England and see what a multicultural paradise looks like.

Go just outside Bolton where a friend of mine lives. Terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why are you trying to force your own personal beliefs onto everyone else? If they want to put up a crib, let them put up a crib. If you have an accident, you can specify to be brought to somewhere that doesn't have a crib if it upsets you that much to see something that cheers every fucking normal non-retarded human being up. Except for the eternally moaning no-craic misery shites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The staff didn’t put the crib up tom.
    The Catholic chaplaincy put the crib up.
    I thought you were just taking the piss?

Why are you trying to force your own personal beliefs onto everyone else? If they want to put up a crib, let them put up a crib. If you have an accident, you can specify to be brought to somewhere that doesn't have a crib if it upsets you that much to see something that cheers every fucking normal non-retarded human being up. Except for the eternally moaning no-craic misery shites.

/thread

• Advertisement

Not forcing my beliefs on anyone

Unless your happy to see taxpayers money wasted on it??

People are free to put it up on their own time....but why have the state paying them to put it up??

Well don't see why taxpayers money is going on putting it up???

The Catholic chaplaincy own the crib tom.
    Paid for it own it and put it up.
    How is that taxpayers money?

People are free to put it up on their own time....but why have the state paying them to put it up??

IT COSTS AROUND A FIVER!!!!

splinter65 wrote: »
    The staff didn’t put the crib up tom.
    The Catholic chaplaincy put the crib up.
    I thought you were just taking the piss?

I'm ok with this :D

Now....so long as we don't have to pay people to waste time taking it down :pac: :P

IT COSTS AROUND A FIVER!!!!

A fiver too much :)

You’re not listening. The state aren’t paying anyone to put up the crib.

He's on a wind up. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why do you want to be a multicultural wasteland where no-one belongs.

i don't. i want ireland to be an equal society where all religions are treated the same. either all religions symbols are allowed in a state hospital, or none. you can belong to something without belonging to a religion. i belong to a society. i do not belong to a religion, nor do i want to, because religion hasn't helped me one bit. if others want to be part of a religion, that's absolutely fine, however they cannot expect their religion to be catered to more then other religions.
    Why not recognise that Ireand has a Christian heritage. It's very simple.

it's not very simple. i do recognise ireland's christian heritage, and i'm very happy to do that, hence i'm in favour of seeing such heritage preserved via the preservation of buildings, and the preservation of traditions where they do not effect the running of the state or state services.
    i don't actually care if the hospital decided to keep the crib. i have no issue either way on it. however i believe that if it did keep it, then other religious symbols should be accepted during other religious festivals, and anyone who has an issue with that should have to deal with it, given that their religious symbols have been accepted. however if it isn't willing to accept other religious symbols, then it is only fair that the crib should go as well.
    essentially, i'm for equality in terms of religions, no religion should be dominant over another.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

What part of "the hospital chaplaincy put the crib there" are you struggling to understand???

If say it was exactly their job.

Perhaps you don't think any taxpayers money should pay for spiritual and pastoral support? Which would be idiotic.

Yes you are.

And I'm happy for it to be paid for. And I'm happy when they paint and take care of any public building. Do you moan and whinge if the local library gets a lick of paint even though there was no health and safety issue or risk of the books being damaged or the building falling down?
    Same as I'm happy when they spent money cleaning up places and running events for 1916 centenary. Same as I'm happy if they have a civic reception for the Irish National soccer team next time they qualify for a tournament along with virtually every other country and then get battered and sent home after the opening round.

Or do you moan for all those things too?

• Advertisement

Perhaps you don't think any taxpayers money should pay for spiritual and pastoral support? Which would be idiotic.

Maybe wasting taxpayers money on make believe is a idiotic??

Local priest here (who I'd get on ok with) deosnt get paid by the state?...and deos a lot of work visiting sick etc in hospital

He's on a wind up. Ignore.

I'm powering up the laptop solely to put at least three posters on ignore.

Not risking a ban for them!!!!

I'm powering up the laptop solely to put at least three posters on ignore.

Not risking a ban for them!!!!

Something something.....safe space :pac:

OK. ..may go and do something productive

Yes you are.

And I'm happy for it to be paid for. And I'm happy when they paint and take care of any public building. Do you moan and whinge if the local library gets a lick of paint even though there was no health and safety issue or risk of the books being damaged or the building falling down?
    Same as I'm happy when they spent money cleaning up places and running events for 1916 centenary. Same as I'm happy if they have a civic reception for the Irish National soccer team next time they qualify for a tournament along with virtually every other country and then get battered and sent home after the opening round.

Or do you moan for all those things too?

I do!!!!

Hate seeing places being painted and no need...and roads in state of disrepair where I live

I do!!!!

Hate seeing places being painted and no need...and roads in state of disrepair where I live

Whist outta dat. You're road is grand. Just drive around the potholes

Whist outta dat. You're road is grand. Just drive around the potholes

We swim trough them :(...but I can't swim :*(

OK. ..stop distracting me....I needs get ready to go out!!

We swim trough them :(...but I can't swim :*(

OK. ..stop distracting me....I needs get ready to go out!!

Bang some hoors for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Go to Bradford in England and see what a multicultural paradise looks like.

Why, whats there?

Just the state shouldn't be wasting money and space in it....but I wouldn't be going outta the way to make room for it

You do realise the thing was probably paid for yonks ago and is the same thing put up every year after year after year, right? It was probably paid for in the 1970's knowing Ireland. As for "making space", do you think they closed an operating theatre or something to accommodate it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

If you want to celebrate Vulcan having a ****, by all means go ahead and knock yourself out......or pray to him and knock one out. Whatever you want.

The Bible itself is fairly coherent. It's not exactly random. At least the New Testament on which Christianity is based. And the basic principles underlying what it says is not too far from what you'd try to instill into a child growing up anyway. Which is not unexpected. As it was written down by people who would have probably considered themselves moral thinkers and/or teachers.............

There are literally thousands of christian sects, and that isn't because of the bibles coherence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement