Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If the Catholics get their crib then we have to give muslims a call to prayer over the PA during Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Are militant atheists and secularists the most insufferable bores on the planet ?

Even as a young atheist, I can recognize that religious iconography can be as much cultural as it is religious. Christmas season and the crib being a prime example.

But I suppose the analogous fantasy scenario of a cossetted minority group member complaining to hospital staff over well meaning seasonal xmas paraphernalia, gives the miserable, microwave xmas dinner pissants an excuse to project their cultural cringe and self loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

RasTa wrote: »
    If the Catholics get their crib then we have to give muslims a call to prayer over the PA during Ramadan.

And....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

No, replacing it with something else was a stupid idea, but like the Dail prayer doing the sensible thing and removing it entirely was seen as a step too far and would provoke the tiny but very vocal religious extremist lobby.

If people want a 'moment of reflection' what's stopping them turning the radio or TV off? If they want to hear a call to prayer of a particular faith they can play a recording. It is not the function of a state broadcaster to instruct people to pray. It's not the function of a hospital to promote religion, either...

No-ones being instructed to pray. No one is promoting religion. Christ Almighty....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nativity Scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I honestly believe this is a classic case of looking for something to be offended by.

It’s a crib, it just sits there and looks nice. If you’re of a different faith or no faith then surely its presence should have no affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Odhinn wrote: »
    Why, whats there?

Duh. Brown people.
    0e387dabaa8cf17a07cedece2f3e6b47--buddy-christ-so-funny.jpg

His funny what?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Duh. Brown people.

His funny what?

MrP

Oh no, is this another "'everyone who disagrees with me is a nazi" merchant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

MrPudding wrote: »
    Duh. Brown people.

His funny what?

MrP

Have they ever had a different response???

I have zero problems with Coptic Christians, Greek Orthodox, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists and Christians from Africa and South America.

Almost all are varying shades of brown. So shove the racism accusations eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I honestly believe this is a classic case of looking for something to be offended by.

It’s a crib, it just sits there and looks nice. If you’re of a different faith or no faith then surely its presence should have no affect you.

This thread is about people being offended at the lack of a crib. People are so offended about the crib not being on the ward that they started a petition.

I'd be interested of how many people that have signed the petition with their outrage are even patients on the ward.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    This thread is about people being offended at the lack of a crib. People are so offended about the crib not being on the ward that they started a petition.

I'd be interested of how many people that have signed the petition with their outrage are even patients on the ward.

It’s a thread about the presence of the crib being threatened because some one of a different faith put in a complaint about it. The crib is there, the hospital staff have been ordered to remove and unfortunately an awful lot of people on this thread seem to think that this acceptable.

It’s Christmas, it’s a crib and shockingly there are likely many patients and staff that want it left where it is. It’s doing no harm at all.

A lot of folks on this thread would do well to remember that the atheist viewpoint is not the most important or even the most enlightened viewpoint and that they are not the only ones entitled to have their voices heard. That’s the point of this thread.

A lot of folks on this thread would do well to remember that the Catholic viewpoint is not the most important or even the most enlightened viewpoint and that they are not the only ones entitled to have their voices heard. That’s the point of this thread.

I've fixed your post to better represent why this discussion is happening at all.

I've fixed your post to better represent why this discussion is happening at all.

The endless sneering continues. They can't help themselves.

That’s the problem with militant atheism- you whine and moan and stamp your feet like children demanding that your voice be listened to, that you be respected and catered for, that your rights and wishes be valued and acted on yet you refuse to extend the same courtesy to everyone else.

You can’t have it both ways and childishly changing peoples posts does nothing to help your so called intelligent and enlightened stance.

I sneered at no-one. I gave my opinion, nothing more.

I sneered at no-one. I gave my opinion, nothing more.

That comment was aimed at BubbaClaus

That comment was aimed at BubbaClaus

Ah ok - threads like this it can be very hard to know sometimes!

You gave your real reasons earlier in the thread. You hate other religions.

You gave your real reasons earlier in the thread. You hate other religions.

Do I? That's news to me. Thanks for letting me know.

Also...to add...I assume you feel the original comment is sneering also since it says the exact same thing word for word?

• Advertisement

That’s the problem with militant atheism- you whine and moan and stamp your feet like children demanding that your voice be listened to, that you be respected and catered for, that your rights and wishes be valued and acted on yet you refuse to extend the same courtesy to everyone else.

You can’t have it both ways and childishly changing peoples posts does nothing to help your so called intelligent and enlightened stance.

I was merely showing how you can change the target of your post and it still makes perfect sense. In fact it makes even more sense given what is being discussed.

Do I? That's news to me. Thanks for letting me know.

Anyone that doesnt believe me feel free to click into DickSwivellers post history.

Very enlightening.

Tries to male it seem like he is pro religion but he's actually more anti religion than anyone else in this thread (just happens to be other religions he is targetting which apparently makes it ok)

Anyone that doesnt believe me feel free to click into DickSwivellers post history.

Very enlightening.

Tries to male it seem like he is pro religion but he's actually more anti religion than anyone else in this thread (just happens to be other religions he is targetting which apparently makes it ok)

That's a serious accusation to make about someone. Care to back it up with evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

baylah17 wrote: »
    There is no place for religious icons in any state funded institution
    End of
    Outrageous that no-one heeded your declaration.

That's a serious accusation to make about someone. Care to back it up with evidence.

As I said, anyone wishing to confirm this can click into your profile and read the post history for themselves.

That's the great thing about having profiles on boards, your username is tied to your comments forever.

A lot of folks on this thread would do well to remember that the Catholic viewpoint is not the most important or even the most enlightened viewpoint and that they are not the only ones entitled to have their voices heard. That’s the point of this thread.

As I said, anyone wishing to confirm this can click into your profile and read the post history for themselves.

That's the great thing about having profiles on boards, your username is tied to your comments forever.

Sorry, I'm not bored enough to go through your post history. It's unfortunate that you subscribe to the "Anyone who disagrees with me is a nazi" faction, but I'd still be interested if you could give a few examples.

It's unfortunate that you subscribe to the "Anyone who disagrees with me is a nazi" faction

I haven't mentioned Nazi's once in here. Nice try though.

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t plagiarize my posts to further your own close minded agenda, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Would you care to explain your reference to bradford?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement