Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib Controversy at Beaumont Hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You did in fact condemn catholic iconography because of the previous abuses. You also seem to think that a crib is catholic. It isn’t.

I haven't actually commented on the crib. I'm indifferent to it one way or the other.

What I stated about catholic iconography was
    "In a country where there are large numbers of people who have been instituionally abused, had their names blackened by the church, been disenfrachised and raped, should it suprise you at all that some don't want reminders of that?"

Those imprisoned in institutions would have had such symbols surrounding them. If they associate that with the abuse, its hardly suprising, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Odhinn wrote: »
    Not everything can be reported as a crime in law.

The Irish constitution preserves my right to express my religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

You really are just a gang of bullies.
    lulz:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your ignorance and bigotry doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

You call it bullying,I call it shining a torch under the rock and watching the cockroaches squirm.

Again I'll ask if any religious and scientific people (peterpiper has gone to ground) if they would shine their scientific minds on the statements the bible make and try and add it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

splinter65 wrote: »
    The Irish constitution preserves my right to express my religion.

yes and so it should .
    that works both ways too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Odhinn wrote: »
    I haven't actually commented on the crib. I'm indifferent to it one way or the other.

What I stated about catholic iconography was
    "In a country where there are large numbers of people who have been instituionally abused, had their names blackened by the church, been disenfrachised and raped, should it suprise you at all that some don't want reminders of that?"

Those imprisoned in institutions would have had such symbols surrounding them. If they associate that with the abuse, its hardly suprising, is it?

This thread is about a crib. It’s not about other catholic iconography - I could of course give a faurjy detailed answer to why we shouldn’t be deleting any iconography or statuary from history because then you end up with a blank slate a la the Khmer Rouge bit this thread is merely about a crib.

Do keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

You call it bullying,I call it shining a torch under the rock and watching the cockroaches squirm.

Again I'll ask if any religious and scientific people (peterpiper has gone to ground) if they would shine their scientific minds on the statements the bible make and try and add it up.

Forget it. You're far too intolerant. Go back to watching some more Dawkins videos.

And again I’ll direct you to read a biography about Maxwell.

Forget it. You're far too intolerant. Go back to watching some more Dawkins videos.

To be fair Dawkins doesn’t use terms like Flying Spaghetti Monster.

This modern atheism is a much lower level of intellect.

Lol. Dawkins doesn’t use terms like Flying Spaghetti Monster. This is a much lower level of intellect.

He exhibits the same sneering arrogance. A horrible trait.

And again I’ll direct you to read a biography about Maxwell.
    feck off I'm not reading a book. Already have johanne kepler biography under my belt .

How about you do it?

Come on explain how you apply science to the statements in the bible.

EDIT:go with something benign..noahs ark ?

• Advertisement

feck off I'm not reading a book. Already have johanne kepler biography under my belt .

How about you do it?

Come on explain how you apply science to the statements in the bible.

I’m not a believer which is why I suggested you read a book about Maxwell. You anti crib fanatics think that your form of atheism (really anti-theism or anti Catholicism) is the only game in town. It isn’t. Even Dawkins likes some forms of some Christianity - not unsurprisingly for a little Englandsr its Anglicanism.

Since you are reading Keple. He was also religious so you could try and understand how and why he could be both religious and scientific. There’s a long answer to that - the Christian churches weren’t as unscientific as claimed.

This is about a crib though.

I’m not a believer which is why I suggested you read a book about Maxwell. You anti crib fanatics think that your form of atheism (really anti-theism or anti Catholicism) is the only game in town. It isn’t. Even Dawkins likes some forms of some Christianity - not unsurprisingly its Anglicanism.

Since you are reading Kepler then he was also religious so you could try and understand how and why he could be both religious and scientific there’s a long answer to that - the Christian churches weren’t as unscientific as claimed.

This is about a crib though.
    nice ninja edit :rolleyes:

Kepler used his religion to make and understand science. He didn't use science to try and understand his religion.

Because deep down he knoew it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

nice ninja edit :rolleyes:

Kepler used his religion to make and understand science. He didn't use science to try and understand his religion.

Because deep down he knoew it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

I often edit for clarity.

Actually he did both - like a lot of religious scientists he saw science as illuminating God’s plan.

lulz:rolleyes:
    and again you won't answer anything asked of you..why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

65% of Nobel laureates (rising to 73% in Medicine) describe themselves as Christian.

I'd hate to be so arrogant as to accuse Nobel laureates of being stupid and delusional.

I often edit for clarity.
    maybe ..I seen the original post.

Anyways as a non-believer , with what science you know...explain something from the bible that makes sense.

lulz:rolleyes:
    and again you won't answer anything asked of you..why is that?

Because I'm not interested. This thread has nothing to do with bible interpretation. Unfortunately, you're intolerance is getting the better of you. Take a breather.

Because I'm not interested. This thread has nothing to do with bible interpretation. Unfortunately, you're intolerance is getting the better of you. Take a breather.
    haha still won't answer..off ye go

To be fair Dawkins doesn’t use terms like Flying Spaghetti Monster.

This modern atheism is a much lower level of intellect.

Actually the spagetti monster is at the height of intellectualism.

it was created to combat the fuktarness of the religious in the states trying to get creationalism added to the school curriculum as an alternative to science.

Earth created in 7 days ...AS FACT...fuk off lol.

Mind you that might explain why the religious won't answer my question of using scinece to explain the bible

yes and so it should .
    that works both ways too

Absolutely it does.
    It’s a pity that it needs to be pointed out though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

why the religious won't answer my question of using scinece to explain the bible

Because its nothing to do with the thread topic?
    Also I'm not sure the "religious" know what you mean by "scinece"
    Somebody is so angry they've forgotten how to spell,or as you may say "triggered" or "butthurt" or fcuking "lulz".
    There is a real world outside the internet,perhaps its worth seeking it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

haha still won't answer..off ye go

MOD "off ye go", dont be telling other users to go anywhere and don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Earth created in 7 days ...AS FACT...fuk off lol.

That's fact. Says it right there in the bible which is "the word of god"

Only 5,000 years ago too believe it or not. Some known ancient civilisations pre date the creation of earth. Which means that Neil Armstrong probably wasn't the first man on the moon.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

This thread is about a crib. It’s not about other catholic iconography - I could of course give a faurjy detailed answer to why we shouldn’t be deleting any iconography or statuary from history because then you end up with a blank slate a la the Khmer Rouge bit this thread is merely about a crib.

Do keep up.

A person made a comment in the flow of the thread. Should you object to a post, the report function is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

65% of Nobel laureates (rising to 73% in Medicine) describe themselves as Christian.

I'd hate to be so arrogant as to accuse Nobel laureates of being stupid and delusional.

I looked that up and couldn't find it anywhere, do you have a link? Particularly for the medicine bit - given how widely practiced that is around the world, that's an awfully high number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I can't post the link on phone but Google "Christian Nobel Laureates" and it's there.

Apologies I misread last night it's 62% Medicine. The 70%+ is another prize. Still high .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Abortion was legalized in the UK at 12 weeks and it’s now 24 weeks.

Not true. It was originally 28 weeks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Not true. It was originally 28 weeks.

28 weeks. How lovely. And 24 weeks now?
    Oh well that’s ok then.

This reminds me of the proposal for 'a moment of reflection' instead of the Angelus, a typically meaningless, soulless, empty proposal from the atheist mob.

No, replacing it with something else was a stupid idea, but like the Dail prayer doing the sensible thing and removing it entirely was seen as a step too far and would provoke the tiny but very vocal religious extremist lobby.

If people want a 'moment of reflection' what's stopping them turning the radio or TV off? If they want to hear a call to prayer of a particular faith they can play a recording. It is not the function of a state broadcaster to instruct people to pray. It's not the function of a hospital to promote religion, either...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

28 weeks. How lovely. And 24 weeks now?
    Oh well that’s ok then.

Yes, yet again the slippery slope fallacy is exposed as a pack of nonsense. You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement