Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »
    Cyborg is overrated. There I said it.

Totally agree....however an overrated cyborg >>>> than rouseys boxing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

dashoonage wrote: »
    Totally agree....however an overrated cyborg >>>> than rouseys boxing :P

You take that back!!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I heard Ronda was shadow boxing and the shadow won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You take that back!!!

hahaha amazing gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I always kinda had a hope she'd go away and work on her stand up and make a glorious comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I always kinda had a hope she'd go away and work on her stand up and make a glorious comeback.

I said the same thing about Pendred last year. Alas, some dreams just aren’t meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Renzo vs Sakuraba rematch in the works for One FC.

Part of me is like hells yeah and the other part is like f*ck no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Renzo vs Sakuraba rematch in the works for One FC.

Part of me is like hells yeah and the other part is like f*ck no.

Just go with it man, all of me is fück yeah for this match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hold on a minute.... Your man from Geordie Shore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENgqhIwV67A

Hold on a minute.... Your man from Geordie Shore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENgqhIwV67A

His next fight is against Dave from down the pub who boxed for a week in secondary school, after than he's having a knock with a plumber from Doncaster who once signed up for a bjj class.

It'll be a big step up in calibre of opponent for him, let's see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

His next fight is against Dave from down the pub who boxed for a week in secondary school, after than he's having a knock with a plumber from Doncaster who once signed up for a bjj class.

It'll be a big step up in calibre of opponent for him, let's see how it goes.

He seems grounded enough though from this interview (albeit it's the only thing I've heard from him). Unlike some other people who get a lot of stick about the quality of their opponents, he doesn't seem to be going around claiming to be the next McGregor
    “I don’t really like to say people are jealous of me. I’m just a normal lad whose took a chance that has been given like any of these fighters would,” stated Chalmers.

“Yes, I probably jumped the ladder by getting on BAMMA, but it’s not my fault. They offered me a contract. Why on earth would I say no if I wanted to fight? It’s a huge show.

“This is the way you can look at it. You’ve got two people that are fighters, one sells 100 tickets, one sells 200 tickets. If you own the business who are you going to pick?

“I’m not asking for a title shot, I’m just fighting on the show and doing what I enjoy. That’s the way you can look at it.

“A lot of people say it comes down to jealousy and obviously there are so many skillful fighters in the UK that should be on the show ahead of me, but they’re not and that’s it. There are hundreds of fighters in the UK that are more skilled than me, hundreds and I openly admit that, but they don’t really have the pull on the social media side or on the press side as I have.

“The thing is, I use BAMMA as much as BAMMA uses me. I get a fight on BAMMA because that’s what I want to do. BAMMA reaps the rewards of all the press that comes with it, if that makes sense.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's taking the Khabib route

Cain saying if DC wins in July he (Cain) might drop to 205.
    Good googly moogly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen on fb Brock landed some box on the wrestling last night. Going by what i read guy he wrestling accidently hurt brock and brock threw a box landing hard on side of other fellas head
    https://www.google.ie/amp/metro.co.uk/2018/01/29/brock-lesnar-punch-braun-strowman-real-royal-rumble-7270241/amp/

Cain saying if DC wins in July he (Cain) might drop to 205.
    Good googly moogly.

That'd be a tough cut considering he was weighing in at 240 for his HW fights. I think he's just taking the piss, he knows DC will probably retire and vacate if wins, or if JJ is back; fight him for his final fight.

He seems grounded enough though from this interview (albeit it's the only thing I've heard from him). Unlike some other people who get a lot of stick about the quality of their opponents, he doesn't seem to be going around claiming to be the next McGregor
    “I don’t really like to say people are jealous of me. I’m just a normal lad whose took a chance that has been given like any of these fighters would,” stated Chalmers.

“Yes, I probably jumped the ladder by getting on BAMMA, but it’s not my fault. They offered me a contract. Why on earth would I say no if I wanted to fight? It’s a huge show.

“This is the way you can look at it. You’ve got two people that are fighters, one sells 100 tickets, one sells 200 tickets. If you own the business who are you going to pick?

“I’m not asking for a title shot, I’m just fighting on the show and doing what I enjoy. That’s the way you can look at it.

“A lot of people say it comes down to jealousy and obviously there are so many skillful fighters in the UK that should be on the show ahead of me, but they’re not and that’s it. There are hundreds of fighters in the UK that are more skilled than me, hundreds and I openly admit that, but they don’t really have the pull on the social media side or on the press side as I have.

“The thing is, I use BAMMA as much as BAMMA uses me. I get a fight on BAMMA because that’s what I want to do. BAMMA reaps the rewards of all the press that comes with it, if that makes sense.”
    I've given him a bit of stick on here. I haven't seen him on Geordie shore so assume he was a typical poser.
    But honestly, I was probably quick to judge. That's a surprisingly honest interview. If he's being genuine, and not a PR ploy, my hats off to him. Fair play.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    That'd be a tough cut considering he was weighing in at 240 for his HW fights. I think he's just taking the piss, he knows DC will probably retire and vacate if wins, or if JJ is back; fight him for his final fight.

240 is a small HW. It's really not that far from LHW.
    I honestly think it would be hard to him to get to LHW. It would be very different if he was a shredded 240, but it's not lean at all. The weight is there to lose.

036_cain_velasquez_and_fabricio_werdum-0-0.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    I've given him a bit of stick on here. I haven't seen him on Geordie shore so assume he was a typical poser.
    But honestly, I was probably quick to judge. That's a surprisingly honest interview. If he's being genuine, and not a PR ploy, my hats off to him. Fair play.

240 is a small HW. It's really not that far from LHW.
    I honestly think it would be hard to him to get to LHW. It would be very different if he was a shredded 240, but it's not lean at all. The weight is there to lose.

036_cain_velasquez_and_fabricio_werdum-0-0.jpg

HW champs have traditionally never been close to the 265 limit. The only one I can think of is Brock tbh. More in the region of 240, 245 max.

HW champs have traditionally never been close to the 265 limit. The only one I can think of is Brock tbh. More in the region of 240, 245 max.

I'm aware, most champs are under 250. JDS (240), Cain (242), Stipe (245) and Werdum(249). Only Mir, Carwin and Brock in recent years were closer to the limit. I'd imagine that's due to a body type suited for 5 rounds being better suited for elite fights then a guy cutting to make the 265 limit.

But 245 being optimal for HW doesn't change how close it is to LHW. You see very few UFC HWs in the 230s. I'd guess that's because it's on the door stop of LHW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dave1982 wrote: »
    Seen on fb Brock landed some box on the wrestling last night. Going by what i read guy he wrestling accidently hurt brock and brock threw a box landing hard on side of other fellas head
    https://www.google.ie/amp/metro.co.uk/2018/01/29/brock-lesnar-punch-braun-strowman-real-royal-rumble-7270241/amp/
    That wasn't a knee, that was a quad to the face, not nearly as painful.
    Still hurt I imagine with Braun being so big, could have been much worse though.

If he loses 10lbs of body weight over 6 months (which he could easily through dieting) he be 230-235 tops. Which is about the same as DC dripping wet. Then it's a 20-25lb weight cut to 205 which is 8.5-10.6% of his total body weight, which isn't a lot when compared to the cuts small guys are doing. He'd be well able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think DC is talking nonsense there tbf. Cain can't even stay fit for a fight where he doesn't have to cut any weight. No chance he stays fit while cutting to 205. I reckon should DC win he'll call it a day and leave the HW title vacant for Cain to fight for.

It was Cain himself. Cain's injury problems have been because of his back, he's has a long surgery and rehabilitation period, his doctors say he's fine to fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

It was Cain himself. Cain's injury problems have been because of his back, he's has a long surgery and rehabilitation period, his doctors say he's fine to fight again.

....until he gets back on that leg extension

DC hinted at it on the MMA hour with Ariel Helwani, that's what I assumed the above posters were referencing.

Nadda on a UFC London main event.....presales start in the morning.

I can see it now....Manuwa upgraded to main event.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Nadda on a UFC London main event.....presales start in the morning.

I can see it now....Manuwa upgraded to main event.
    Got stung with that last year. Bought tickets, hotel and flights and the whole lot with no main event announced. Safe to say they will never ever catch me like that again.

I had been over to UFC 204 only a couple of months earlier, a numbered PPV event with a world title fight, and the average UFC London ticket was *more* expensive than the average UFC 204ticket. Complete joke.

Ya i was half tempted to try one in general sale on Friday but unless something decent is announced i wont be...id like to see bisping in his last fight before his come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Think bisping had some sort or eye surgery in last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dave1982 wrote: »
    Think bisping had some sort or eye surgery in last few days

Mentioned a procedure on his podcast alright.

I believe he has to have his pupil(s) dialated by some medical means every so often.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement