Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That was some retirement for Matt Brown. Lasted the guts of two months. Impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Mellor wrote: »
    Lee got caught in a basic triangle. I think Diaz absolutely strangled him.

Yeah it was fairly disappointing from Lee, very rare to see a triangle from that position these days especially at that level. Having said that I think he was exhausted by that point and I'd hope he could improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Tigger wrote: »
    I can’t see any outcome other than Stipe winning. Maybe his last fight was easier than it looked but I thought he showed a physical and mental strength that DC simply dosent have.

As they currently are I'd agree but it will be interesting to see what sort of shape and condition DC comes into this in. Anyone remember what he used to weigh in at when he was a HW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

dulux99 wrote: »
    That was some retirement for Matt Brown. Lasted the guts of two months. Impressive

Well he basically admitted post fight that he'd fight again if he got an exciting matchup, which this definitely is.

I hope he wins. Was gutted after he lost to Cowboy, and that Sanchez KO... Jesus..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

jaysus thats a great night of fight announcements! 226 is setting up to be a fantastic card. although not confirmed DJ vs TJ and Cyborg vs Nunnes.....dammmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There's less than 20lbs difference between DC and Stipe in the cage as it is. Without cutting weight for DC the gap would be closer to 10.
    As for DC not having the "mental strength" needed to win, there aren't enough roll eyes emoji's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I see some people online moaning that if all 6 champions were to fight at ufc 226 it would hold up 6 divisions.

Think its a ****ty argument as i see no clear contender the 6 divisions. Perhaps at a push it could be argued gus for the lhw title.

Let the champions fight each other i say and then let the contenders battle it out during this same period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

As for DC not having the "mental strength" needed to win, there aren't enough roll eyes emoji's.

Yep, complete and utter bullsh1t. DC toughed through nearly getting finished by Gus and Rumble and came back with a vengeance.

DC weighed up to 247 lbs in Strikeforce days. Stipe was 246 at weigh-ins for 220. They could be very close to each other in weight on fight night, depending on how DC approaches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll be rooting for Stipe but no way is that an easy fight. DC has showed time and time again his mental and physical toughness. I'm going with Stipe by decision, don't think he'll be able to put DC away.

If DC does win, he shouldn't wait for his birthday next year, he should retire as a 2 time champ, would be epic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just looking at the stats and

DC is 5' 11" with a reach of 72.5"
    Jones is 6' 4" with a reach of 84"
    Stipe is 6' 4" with a reach of 80"

I could see this going the way of DC Jones 2 were DC is presurising but Stipe will be able to keep him away with boxing smarts until he lands a big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Tigger wrote:
    I can’t see any outcome other than Stipe winning. Maybe his last fight was easier than it looked but I thought he showed a physical and mental strength that DC simply dosent have.

??

Why does DC lack physical and mental strength ?
    Complete opposite for me .

He was picking up heavyweights and slamming them before he dropped to LHW when he joined the UFC... So really can't fathom how you can think he lacks physical strength

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

2 losses to the GOAT and he lacks mental strength...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Daniel Cormier, the Olympian, NCAA, world senior bronze medalist wrestler and UFC LHW champion, lacks mental strength.

SMH.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Daniel Cormier, the Olympian, NCAA, world senior bronze medalist wrestler and UFC LHW champion, lacks mental strength.

SMH.

Not too much mentions his personal life too, loss of his daughter in a car crash etc. I would actually say he's probably mentally one of the toughest guys on the entire roster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lukker- wrote: »
    2 losses to the GOAT and he lacks mental strength...

One loss*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not too much mentions his personal life too, loss of his daughter in a car crash etc. I would actually say he's probably mentally one of the toughest guys on the entire roster
    His father was murdered also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Daniel Cormier lacks mental strength, haha jesus christ. I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's an early start for tonights card. 10pm prelims on BT and the main card starts at 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

dashoonage wrote: »
    jaysus thats a great night of fight announcements! 226 is setting up to be a fantastic card. although not confirmed DJ vs TJ and Cyborg vs Nunnes.....dammmmm

Champion vs Champion night.

Looking forward to that card. Miocic Vs Cormier is a very interesting fight. DC is not as big as Ngannou but unlike him, DC can fight. It's a completely different kind if fight for Stipe.

DJ vs TJ is another big one. The test is for TJ to make the weight, If he can I give him a great chance.

I love Cyborg vs Nunes. The battle of Brazil. That is one hell of a fight.

My question. Does it make sense for the UFC to put 3 fights that could main event their own PPV's all on the one card?

miocicmma wrote: »

My question. Does it make sense for the UFC to put 3 fights that could main event their own PPV's all on the one card?

Yes, the cards have been sh*te since WME took over. If they wanna have a big year they need big cards like this stacked from top to bottom. TJ and Mighty Mouse aren't big draws, so it makes sense to put them on a super card. Cyborg and Nunes would prob get about 200k viewers, but putting them all together should make it greater than the sum of their parts. It should do over 500k buys and that would be a big success. More exposure too for the likes of DJ, TJ.

I just hope the undercard and prelims are equally as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Now this would be a nice last fight, proper old school.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/957339589252993025

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do looks like Ronda Rousey will be fighting for the title in 2018. Can't say I'm surprised

Do looks like Ronda Rousey will be fighting for the title in 2018. Can't say I'm surprised

All power to her. A nice comfortable WWE contract for herself. Make some bank...stay healthy...doesnt have to fight cyborg. be grand.

All power to her. A nice comfortable WWE contract for herself. Make some bank...stay healthy...doesnt have to fight cyborg. be grand.
    Pro Wrestling is rough on the body. Certainly not an activity I'd consider conducive to staying healthy. Although not actually sure if that applies to the wimmins though.

Pro Wrestling is rough on the body. Certainly not an activity I'd consider conducive to staying healthy. Although not actually sure if that applies to the wimmins though.

its probably not as rough as getting locked in a cage with cyborg though.......

The athleticism in women's pro wrestling has increased dramatically in the last five years which is why it's so popular and have so many big names. All the top girls take as many bumps as the top men.

its probably not as rough as getting locked in a cage with cyborg though.......

Cyborg is overrated. There I said it.

The athleticism in women's pro wrestling has increased dramatically in the last five years which is why it's so popular and have so many big names. All the top girls take as many bumps as the top men.
    Breakfalls should be a doddle for her. But I wonder how many top rope drop kicks to the head she'll take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Much like the standard in womens MMA. Ronda went from being unbeatable to a cute little girl very quickly. Fair play to her though. Shes obviously a fan and joining a hugely growing area, womens pro wrestling.

And yeah, athleticism in womens WWE is off the chart at the moment, mainly down to Ric Flairs daughter.

10a9xcqf8qry.gif

• Advertisement

Breakfalls should be a doddle for her. But I wonder how many top rope drop kicks to the head she'll take.

I don't imagine she'll be doing anything too mad.

While it feels like a sensible move for her, is definitely not the coup WWE had planned a few years ago when she came out of the crowd at an event. Think it was before the Holm loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement