Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dulux99 wrote: »
    That's a disaster. Poor aul Frankie.

It also looks like the wheels are properly in motion for DJ vs TJ. Call me crazy but I just don't care about this fight. TJ is going to completely kill himself to get to the weight and he has loads of challengers at 135.....off the top of my head they could easily do Dillashaw vs Edgar for the BW title!

If they want to fight so bad they should be offering it to DJ to go up to 135 not for TJ to drop down. DJ has defended his belt 11 times, TJ won his a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dulux99 wrote: »
    That's a disaster. Poor aul Frankie.

It also looks like the wheels are properly in motion for DJ vs TJ. Call me crazy but I just don't care about this fight. TJ is going to completely kill himself to get to the weight and he has loads of challengers at 135.....off the top of my head they could easily do Dillashaw vs Edgar for the BW title!

Tj vs cody set for 222

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dashoonage wrote: »
    Tj vs cody set for 222

Wow!!!

I thought you were joking for a sec. Absolutely delighted with that one. That is much more like it from the UFC, excellent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not happening unless Bang is allowed sell his peanut butter at the event.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/959884633520377858

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon they will get it done. Tj vs cody 2 would be excellent

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Not happening unless Bang is allowed sell his peanut butter at the event.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/959884633520377858

Cody needs to earn a rematch but TJ who has never fought 125 in his life deserves a shot at DJ?

More like he knows how close he was to being flat lined by Cody and he doesn't want any more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sent Cody to another dimension right after it. Don't think there's any question of fear on TJ's part. Impressively KOed a champion in his first defence - pretty reasonable not to expect an immediate rematch.

Bit of back and forth, fight will never happen, TJ is after the 'money' fight with DJ. Loses it if Cody beats him which is very possible.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/959915299217620992

https://twitter.com/Cody_Nolove/status/959922961141587972

https://twitter.com/TJDillashaw/status/959924084250378241

Cowardly by tj imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

ricero wrote: »
    Cowardly by tj imo

Really?

Loses a close decision and has to wait two years. Then they want him to jump with 4 weeks notice?

What does he have to gain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Lads do ye really believe this twitter talk? It's all nonsense. It's all just hype, if they're actually trying to sort out a fight it won't be done over Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Cody needs to earn a rematch but TJ who has never fought 125 in his life deserves a shot at DJ?

Take these two sentences in isolation
    Cody needs to earn a rematch

Same way TJ did I would say. TJ lost a split when he lost that belt, Cody got KOd, he's 2nd in line behind Cruz imo.
    TJ who has never fought 125 in his life deserves a shot at DJ?

Who else deserves a shot at DJ, he's dominated that division, he's considered the GOAT, P4P best in the UFC, let TJ go down and test that theory. It's a massive fight.
    Cowardly by tj imo

I don't think so. He climbed back to the summit of that division he's well within his rights to enjoy the view and not jump back in the ring because the UFC has fights fall through and need to save cards, wait for the DJ fight and a decent pay day - guy is sitting pretty, pride or cowardice has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ali Abdelaziz questioning the legitimacy of John Kavanagh’s black belt is a new low of idiocy, even for Ali.

This is long but well worth a read.

“RAT IN A CAGE: THE REAL STORY OF ALI ABDEL AZIZ”:

http://realfightstories.com/2015/12/02/real-ali-abdel-aziz/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Paully D wrote: »
    Ali Abdelaziz questioning the legitimacy of John Kavanagh’s black belt is a new low of idiocy, even for Ali.

This is long but well worth a read.

“RAT IN A CAGE: THE REAL STORY OF ALI ABDEL AZIZ”:

http://realfightstories.com/2015/12/02/real-ali-abdel-aziz/

That's a very odd website, seems to only have reported on Aziz and some canadian guy called Mike Reid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

That's a very odd website, seems to only have reported on Aziz and some canadian guy called Mike Reid

Pretty sure the author is the same guy from Twitter who's on a personal crusade against Aziz (whether rightfully or wrongfully).

He doesn't strike me as an unbiased source..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know people love to say the UFC have crap fighter pay down.
    But Belator have that game crushed. Holy shit
    https://twitter.com/marcsimsrj/status/960730715603292165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Mellor wrote: »
    I know people love to say the UFC rick the crap fighter pay in the UFC.
    But Belator have that game crushed. Holy shit
    https://twitter.com/marcsimsrj/status/960730715603292165
    I know! People talk like the UFC are the mafia or something. They paid roughly 78 million dollars in fighter pay in 2016. They are the highest paying MMA company in the world by far. They have over 600 fighters on their roster all of whom make at least a 5 figure income when they fight. Of course they could pay more but why should they when people will fight for them for less? They are a business after all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Edit: Yup as per below that was only Reebok payments..my bad. Still fighters on there getting 12k and left to pay for a full training camp, nutrition etc and support a family. They have to start somewhere and work up but its by no means easy money for getting your head kicked in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 gamebread

Axwell wrote: »
    They dont all make a 5 figure income when they fight, nowhere near that. On the UFC 220 card alone 17 of the 22 fighters involved made less than 10k from their payout. Most made 5k or 3.5k from it, now factor in the weeks of training involved in their camp, paying for that, their nutrition and supporting a family..

Stipe Miocic: $40,000 def. Francis Ngannou: $30,000
    Daniel Cormier: $40,000 def. Volkan Oezdemir: $30,000
    Calvin Kattar: $3,500 def. Shane Burgos: $5,000
    Gian Villante: $15,000 def. Francimar Barroso: $5,000
    Rob Font: $5,000 def. Thomas Almeida: $5,000
    Kyle Bochniak: $5,000 def. Brandon Davis: $3,500
    Abdul Razak Alhassan: $5,000 def. Sabah Homasi: $3,500
    Dustin Ortiz: $10,000 def. Alexandre Pantoja: $3,500
    Julio Arce: $3,500 def. Dan Ige: $3,500
    Enrique Barzola: $5,000 def. Matt Bessette: $3,500
    Islam Makhachev: $5,000 def. Gleison Tibau: $20,000

Pretty sure thats reebok payments just.

Axwell wrote: »
    Edit: Yup as per below that was only Reebok payments..my bad. Still fighters on there getting 12k and left to pay for a full training camp, nutrition etc and support a family. They have to start somewhere and work up but its by no means easy money for getting your head kicked in.
    Agreed but again why should they pay more? I read that Shevchenko was paid 17k (not including bonuses) for her fight the other night. IMO she deserves a lot more than that but why would they give her more if she will say yes to 17?

• Advertisement

Diaz hinting at a title fight with Woodley this year for his return

Diaz hinting at a title fight with Woodley this year for his return

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Got UFC London tickets earlier. Handful were on sale at 4pm. Just in case anyone missed out might be no harm keeping an eye on ticketmaster. I got some fifty bucks tickets. Flying out to Perth tomorrow too for this coming weekends event and visit the brother. Nice feast of live mma to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cyborg v Yana Kunitskaya set for UFC 222. :rolleyes:

Just do the Nunes fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Couldn't care less about a Cyborg fight but at least we still get to see Edgar in what is an intriguing fight with Ortega. Time and time again Edgar has proved there's levels to the game and maybe he'll do it again. Ortega is a difficult match up for him, good few inches in height difference not that that's stopped Edgar before.

If Edgar wins, and then loses to Holloway, 145 has very little left in terms of contenders. We'd probably see Holloway move up.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

I also have very little interest in cyborgs fights. Not sure why, just don't really enjoy watching her. Also hate watching Holly Holm as well.

The Cyborg fight is headlining but the real main event was just confirmed by Ortega and Rener Gracie.

Frankie vs T-City, and it's 5 rounds... So either that's the headline with Cyborg as co-main or Cyborg is headlining and Frankie vs T-City is for ANOTHER interim belt.

edit: Ortega says it's co-main, and Rener edited the part about it being 5 rounds. So might just be a regular 3 round fight.

Cyborg will still be ready for Nunes at 226 for Fight week. be grand.

CM Punk v Mike Jackson for 226 in Chicago. Jackson is the guy Mickey Gall beat to get the Punk fight. Obviously this is all about money but having a guy who is is 0-1 fight a guy who is 0-1 (with an 0-1 amateur record) on a ppv main card will make for a sorry sight in even if it makes great financial sense for the UFC.

• Advertisement

cliggg wrote: »
    CM Punk v Mike Jackson for 226 in Chicago. Jackson is the guy Mickey Gall beat to get the Punk fight. Obviously this is all about money but having a guy who is is 0-1 fight a guy who is 0-1 (with an 0-1 amateur record) on a ppv main card will make for a sorry sight in even if it makes great financial sense for the UFC.

That hasnt been confirmed...stop selling wolf tickets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement