Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gunni signed to fight Till in London according to kavnagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That's another knockout coming his way so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That is not a fight Nelson should be looking to take at the minute. Another bad KO could stay to call his career into question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nate V Eddie Alvarez ? Can't see Nate taking that fight? Would love it though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Nate against the winner (or loser) of Poirier/Gaethje is one I'd like to watch. But if that one lasts more than a quick KO both are coming out of it hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

If anyone has a fight club code and isn't going to London, I'd appreciate the code.

I won't share it, I'm after one or two tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jesus, nate vs gaethje would be an absolute dream match up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

D.Q wrote: »
    Jesus, nate vs gaethje would be an absolute dream match up

For CTE it sure is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gunni signed to fight in London according to kavnagh.

I missed the word Till the first time I read that. Was wondering why people were freaking out about a KO. Just seen it tweet on twitter and the penny dropped.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/956247197036810240

High risk, High reward fight for Gunni. Not what he needs right now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

callaway92 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: great start to the card. . . .

DUUXyCZVwAAlAma.jpg:large

Anyone with fight pass watch Enkamps fight with nordine taleb. Absolute cracker iv been dying to see him fight since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gunni by Sub unless Till exposes his main weakness and pokes him repeatedly in the eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Till has said on twitter he hasnt been offered a fight or London but has been offered wonderboy for april

If its added to 223 is got to have potential to be the best card of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Don't know if Till is ready for WB yet. I just wanna see him fight though.

Don't know if Till is ready for WB yet. I just wanna see him fight though.

id agree. he beat a very tired looking cowboy. But sure look...the ufc obliviously want to push him and if it saves us from woodley vs wonderboy 3 im game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dashoonage wrote: »
    Till has said on twitter he hasnt been offered a fight or London but has been offered wonderboy for april

That's excellent news. I really didn't like the idea of Till vs Gunni for a few reasons
    1.) I don't see what beating Gunni does for Till - it'd be like a MW fighting a LW
    2.) I'm a big fan of Gunni and don't think it'd end well for him! haha
    3.) I thought it was a bit early for Till to be having a big 'homecoming' fight - the way McGregor had 2 big wins and then had the year off before he fought Brandao in Dublin was ideal, and it was that night that he became a star IMO. If Till beats WB in April then has a homecoming fight in Liverpool around the summer it would be absolutely bananas, and he could easily be in a position to fight Woodley towards the end of the year

I'm really high on Darren Till to be honest, I think he's the most exciting prospect to come into the UFC in a long time. Plus he's got a great character, I think he could be a big star, in an era where there are basically no active stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

id agree. he beat a very tired looking cowboy. But sure look...the ufc obliviously want to push him and if it saves us from woodley vs wonderboy 3 im game!

He was stylistic nightmare for Cowboy. Wonderboy will soak up that pressure, and his counters are majestic, so yeah, not an easy night for Till

I'm excited by Gunni vs Till though if it happens

here's my guess at what has happened -
    UFC are desperate to get the main event confirmed before tickets are released. Bisping is taking too long to decide whether or not he wants to headline (he said already his family don't want him to bother with 1 more fight).

UFC are making backup plans - Till vs Gunni. Till was game for the fight a few months back on Twitter but has said nothing since. Maclife reported a few weeks back that Gunni was calling out Till again. Till has been constantly mentioning Wonderboy in interviews and gone as far as to say the fight is definitely happening a week ago. He knows Wonderboy is a big name and high rank so if he beats him he can get a title shot. Especially as Woodley has beat most of the best contenders.

Till isn't necessarily afraid of Gunni (no fighters at this level are afraid) and I'm not saying he is ducking him either, but there is no doubt he doesn't want to fight him right now. Reason being, Gunni is extremely dangerous and his grappling skills are sick. If he gets Till down, he is done. I believe it is a much riskier fight for Till than it is for Gunni, if Gunni gets knocked out (which every fight has that potential, especially with Gunnis style) he continues being a gatekeeper and fights opponents trying to break into the top 10. But if Gunni wins, he jumps up the ranks and starts looking at title contention. Especially if he can beat another high ranking opponent after Till. If Till loses, he falls off the hype train and has to work his way back up.
    Gunnar has mentioned many times in the past that he struggles to get ranked opponents. He had booked Stun gun but he pulled out so to try and stay active he kept fighting people who were sometimes unranked or at least no-one ever above him.

I don't know if Till has received a contract or not (I think he probably has) but I think it was very smart of John to try to pressure Till into the fight by announcing it on Twitter. Home fans in England immediately get hyped and start blowing up Tills twitter for him to confirm it. 

I'm not saying Till won't accept the fight either, I don't think Wonderboy wants to fight Till (his coaches said something about Till not being a big enough name yet or something). So I think Till might relent to the pressure and book the fight. We'll see.

When did he say that? Just checked his Twitter and he hasn't posted in a while. The way John worded it was that the contracts had only just been released so Till might have only got the contract in the past couple of days
    http://www.mmaviking.com/gunnar-nelson-still-waiting-darren-till-contract-nothing-happening/
    It's an interesting time. A lot of the upcoming cards are terrible. Yet the roster looks good and there are lots of healthy fighters. Maybe lot of fighters are following the Tyron Woodley 'hold out for the title shot'. Except they are holding out for fighters that are bigger names or higher ranks than themselves. I mean, we have seen what happens when you take risky fights just to try and stay active.

Sorry

not directly from tills twitter...my bad

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/956529948403015680

Sorry

not directly from tills twitter...my bad

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/956529948403015680

Yeah that Bisping picture definitely makes it look like he has changed his mind and is now headlining London. It probably wouldn't benefit Till as much to co-headline a fight night as it would be for him to hold out and hope that he can fight Wonderboy on a PPV.
    I reckon the Gunni fight isn't happening then. They might try and get Gunni on the co-main vs someone else. now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Looking forward to the return of the Diaz brothers. Nate is understandably sick of waiting around for McGregor, who may never return. I wonder what weight he would come back under, Lightweight against someone like Alvarez or Lee or Welterweight against someone like Masvidal or Covington.

I feel bad from Gunner Nelson, Darren Till is going to smash his face in. Till is legit, Would love to see him beat the **** out of Covington in Brazil at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

UFC 141 on BT2 now.

Brock v Overeem and Cerrone v Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

miocicmma wrote: »
    Looking forward to the return of the Diaz brothers. Nate is understandably sick of waiting around for McGregor, who may never return. I wonder what weight he would come back under, Lightweight against someone like Alvarez or Lee or Welterweight against someone like Masvidal or Covington.

If anyone was waiting around it was Diaz to be fiar. He needs to jump back in and get on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wasn't he offered fights but turned them down, either cos he wasn't interested, or they wouldn't pay him enough?

So Zihabi saying GSP won't fight for at least a year or two. Prob holding out til he has an easier fight at 170, he knows he couldn't beat Woodley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Or, ya know, he's dealing with treating his ulcerative colitis...

Or, ya know, he's dealing with treating his ulcerative colitis...

Or waiting until he's offered McGoober, I'm sure it would cease to be a problem then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yeah he'll be back to fight McGregor at some stage. I think that's the only fight we'll see him in but doesn't want to go calling him out, he'll wait for McGregor to do it and he will.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    If anyone was waiting around it was Diaz to be fiar. He needs to jump back in and get on the horse.

Nate was waiting for Conor to come back, But now that it looks like Conor won't be coming back, He has to do something. If he can make 155 it would be cool to see him fight Kevin Lee or Eddie Alvarez and then maybe get a tile shot against the winner or Khabib and Tony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement