Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

miocicmma wrote: »
    Nate was waiting for Conor to come back, But now that it looks like Conor won't be coming back, He has to do something. If he can make 155 it would be cool to see him fight Kevin Lee or Eddie Alvarez and then maybe get a tile shot against the winner or Khabib and Tony.

You say this like diaz is a shoe in to beat both lee and alvarez. Personally i find diaz to be very overratted and i would expect both of eddie and lee to beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Cyborg Vs Nunes should be a good fight. And the rematch between Rose and Joanna. When you look at the quality of the women's MMA scene today, you realise how much of a fraud Ronda Rousey really was. Cyborg, Nunes, Holm, Shevchenko,De Randemie would all smash her face in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

ricero wrote: »
    You say this like diaz is a shoe in to beat both lee and alvarez. Personally i find diaz to be very overratted and i would expect both of eddie and lee to beat him

I wouldn't use the words "Shoe In" but I think either of those would be good fights. I believe Alvarez is a much better fighter than he showed against Conor and Lee was not at his best against Tony. Both men are capable of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lukker- wrote: »
    So Zihabi saying GSP won't fight for at least a year or two. Prob holding out til he has an easier fight at 170, he knows he couldn't beat Woodley.

Definitely just strangled the middleweight champion after winning the striking exchange following a four year layoff. Don't really think he's scared of Woodley to be honest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Kevin Lee and Eddie Alvarez are bad match ups for Nate Diaz if they fight smart.
    Leg kick and control him against fence, a couple of quick take downs thrown in and it's a handy decision win with Nate getting all pissy about them not 'fighting' him. Literally Diaz's career before the McGregor fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Neither have the striking or grappling to bother Nate. He'll just Diaz them. Volume punching, walk them down, wear them out and wait for them to shoot before doing some ninja sh!t and choking then out.

Outside of Khabib and Tony the only top 155ers I see bothering Nate are people like Gaethje and Barbosa because they'd light his lead leg up, and this the only way to stop him, and even then he might just keep coming forward.

Lee and Alvarez are just slightly better versions of Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Nate vs Gaethje lads. It has to happen.

The Naethje Project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

D.Q wrote: »
    Nate vs Gaethje lads. It has to happen.

The Naethje Project.

I will be hoping Gaethje gets a quick win over Poirier to keep him injury free and a possible option to fight Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I think Lee could beat Diaz with a bit of improvement on his submission defence from the Ferguson fight, Alvarez would try to brawl which wouldn't end well for him I think .

Gaetjhe and Barboza would go heavy with leg kicks which would probably be successful, could still see Diaz causing both problems.

Lots of good fights to be made at 155, the likes of Vick, Felder, Iaquinta and Duffy are all knocking on the door to break into the top 10, obviously Duffy took a set back getting finished by Vick but I haven't given up hope on him yet.

I think it's the best division in MMA it was plagued by inactivity for a lot of 2017 but hopefully we'll see plenty of high level match ups in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Definitely just strangled the middleweight champion after winning the striking exchange following a four year layoff. Don't really think he's scared of Woodley to be honest now.

Lol Dan Henderson nearly finished Bisping. It's not massive achievement to wobble Bisping, in fact it nearly happens ever fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Django99 wrote: »
    Lots of good fights to be made at 155, the likes of Vick, Felder, Iaquinta and Duffy are all knocking on the door to break into the top 10, obviously Duffy took a set back getting finished by Vick but I haven't given up hope on him yet.

What a fight that promises to be :)
    both never been finished other than by sub (iaq) or by the doctor (felder)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Now that's what you call a champ v champ fight. Can't believe it's gonna happen, can't even begin to pick a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Wow that will be class.

Heard a rumour i think it was on the mma beat that the ufc are aiming for dc vs stipe, nunez vs cyborg and dj vs tj for international fight week this july

mailburner wrote: »
    What a fight that promises to be :)
    both never been finished other than by sub (iaq) or by the doctor (felder)

Yeah and it's almost the company man (felder) against the rebel (iaq) in a lot of ways so should be a great scrap. Really looking forward to it.

Wow that will be class.

Heard a rumour i think it was on the mma beat that the ufc are aiming for dc vs stipe, nunez vs cyborg and dj vs tj for international fight week this july

Would be easy to theme to promo if so, all champ v champ fights. Could potentially mess up the divisions if all the Ines moving up won? I wouldn't mind really, the two men's fights there would be so high level it would be worth sacrificing order in the respective divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Guessing it will be at HW as Stipe won't be able to drop to 205, if DC wins he'll be LHW and HW champ

Yupp, divisions would be all over the place but **** it, divisions are goosed as they are. On paper Miocic Cormier is potential fight of the year. Would also bring TUF back up the ratings I'd say, try find at least LHW's for that season, that division could do with new blood.

LETS GO DC!
    I like Stipe but I'm backing DC here, no idea why but I see him pulling it off and then sailing off into the sunset. Or defending once at 205 at the end of the year before he calls it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Love the fight, but there’s no chance DC defends the belt if he wins it, is there?

Look at the difference in the size between him
    and Ngannou in the Embedded’s last week for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

scudzilla wrote: »
    Guessing it will be at HW as Stipe won't be able to drop to 205, if DC wins he'll be LHW and HW champ

Of course it'll be at HW, if it happens.

Paully D wrote: »
    Love the fight, but there’s no chance DC defends the belt if he wins it, is there?

Look at the difference in the size between him
    and Ngannou in the Embedded’s last week for example.

I'd say the plan will be that Cain will fight someone on the same card and then if DC win's he'll vacate and it'll be Cain vs Stipe/Werdum/Whoever for the vacant belt.

And they keep on coming

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/957039656192716800

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/957040415403794432

Cast for TUF 27

Lightweight

Thailand Clark – 7-0 | 28 | Fort Worth, Texas
    Joe Giannetti – 6-0 | 22 | Norwell, Mass.
    John Gunther – 6-0 | 32 | Cleveland, Ohio
    José Martinez Jr.– 4-0 | 27 | Lorain, Ohio
    Luis Peña – 4-0 | 24 | Hillsboro, Miss. by way of Naples, Italy
    Richie Smullen – 3-0-1 | 26 | Arklow, Ireland
    Mike Trizano – 6-0 | 25 | Ramsey, N.J.
    Allan Zuniga – 13-0 | 25 | San Miguel, Costa Rica
    Featherweight

Jay Cucciniello – 8-0 | 31 | Malaga, Spain by way of Dublin, Ireland
    Tyler Diamond – 9-0 | 26 | Oroville, Calif.
    Brad Katona – 6-0 | 25 | Dublin, Ireland by way of Winnipeg, Canada
    Bryce Mitchell – 9-0 | 23 | Cabot, Ark.
    Suman Mokhtarian – 8-0 | 25 | Sydney, Australia
    Dulani Perry – 4-0 | 31 | Houston, Texas
    Kyler Phillips – 5-0 | 22 | Surprise, Ariz.
    Ricky Steele – 5-0 | 29 | Boise, Ida.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Django99 wrote: »
    I think Lee could beat Diaz with a bit of improvement on his submission defence from the Ferguson fight,

Lee got caught in a basic triangle. I think Diaz absolutely strangled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

From the link above;
    Following the conclusion of the show, the duo are scheduled to fight at UFC 226 on July 7 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas for Miocic’s heavyweight title. Should he win, Cormier would become just the second fighter in UFC history to be a champion in two different weight classes at the same time, and the fifth fighter in total to be a two-division UFC champion.[/quote

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

LETS GO DC!
    I like Stipe but I'm backing DC here, no idea why but I see him pulling it off and then sailing off into the sunset. Or defending once at 205 at the end of the year before he calls it a day.

I think he goes for Jon Jones one more time, regardless of the outcome of the fight, then retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Holy **** that is a fight.

Stipe v DC is insane!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mdwexford wrote: »
    Holy **** that is a fight.

Stipe v DC is insane!!!'

I can’t see any outcome other than Stipe winning. Maybe his last fight was easier than it looked but I thought he showed a physical and mental strength that DC simply dosent have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought Matt brown retired?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement