Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wonder could they just redo everything related to pvp? Simply go to D1 set up, as much as the game's set up would allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,033 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder could they just redo everything related to pvp? Simply go to D1 set up, as much as the game's set up would allow.

Not without redesigning the maps near completely. They've been designed where snipers and shotguns are not available at all times. The maps are more open as a result, with loads of what would become rotten sniper lanes.

The maps are designed for the weapon structure we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

After months of waiting we still can't mass delete shaders.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that level of a re-design.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Having played a few games of D1 the other night, the travesty that is D2 is glaringly apparent. Even to do something relatively simple, such as decreasing super and ability cool down times could help massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I'm back on D1 too. Deleted my Titan and made a new one. Starting off from the beginning again - It's such a great game. Long live D1 - RIP D2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Crimson Days returns next week

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46617

More shakeups from Bungie announced yesterday.

Nightfall strike scoring coming back (as we knew). Beating a certain score will give you an aura, which will then give a bonus of 25% extra tokens when doing a strike (for your fireteam).

Nightfall will also drop challenge cards that increase your score multiplyer at the expense of restrictions - such as your power level being decreased or going back to the original nightfall mechanic of 'everyone dead = back to orbit'.

They mentioned unique/powerful/rare item that could drop from Nightfall boss, but they didn't specify that in the rest of the article. The did say the changes in the article were the first steps in their changes for Nightfall so specific armor/weapons could be something they will talk about later; but I did find it ambiguous as to whether they were talking weapons/gear or emblem/aura. I'd be confident it is weapons/gear - which they just are not ready to talk about yet.

Prestige Raids are going to have a rotating loadout to them, which sounds very interesting - an example they gave is that your melee's doing more damage in the Prestige Raid but having to use side-arm, submachine gun and shotgun, making sure everything is an up close encounter.

Could result in a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Still no mention of getting rid of the NF timer then?

Scoring might stop people legging it through 90% of the strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Prestige Raids are going to have a rotating loadout to them, which sounds very interesting - an example they gave is that your melee's doing more damage in the Prestige Raid but having to use side-arm, submachine gun and shotgun, making sure everything is an up close encounter.

Could result in a lot of fun.

Would be interesting trying to damage Calus/Argos with that load-out. I guess Datto would be all over it with the DPS videos :pac:

Overall the changes seem good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Tazzimus wrote: »

Scoring might stop people legging it through 90% of the strikes

Scoring is replacing the timer.

• Advertisement

I think it is going. However, the longer you take; the lower your score multiplier will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

nevelator wrote: »
    I think it is going. However, the longer you take; the lower your score multiplier will be.

Yeah, scoring is completely replacing the Timer modifier.
    • Score bleeds over time. We are watching this closely — score decay can feel bad, but all else being equal, a team that clears faster than another team should score higher. Score decay achieves this in the most transparent fashion.
    • Scoring cuts off after time thresholds. At 15 minutes, new points earned are reduced by 50%. At 18 minutes, you stop earning new points and it’s a race to finish the run and post your score. We want time to matter (see above), but we also want to avoid some of the problems we saw with Prison of Elders, where a “high score” might involve punishing respawning combatants (and yourself) for a few hours until the novelty wore off. A good Nightfall clear shouldn’t feel like a slog.

As Solvable says...

Socring will be 'normal' for the first 15minutes. Will reduce to 50% until 18mins. After 18mins, no more score will be possible.

So you have 18minutes to get your score as high as possible, after that it won't matter how long/quick you complete the Nightfall.

I see that as a good compromise between Scoring and Time Limited - and should stop the spawn killing grind some put in to PoE scoring.

The raid loadout stuff is really interesting (and something they will put in for all prestige versions of Raids) - the DPS strats will be good to see again. One thing I didn't mention, it will rotate weekly. So week one could be Calus with X modifiers and loadout, week 2 could be Eater of Worlds with Y modifiers and loadout.

As Solvable says...

Socring will be 'normal' for the first 15minutes. Will reduce to 50% until 18mins. After 18mins, no more score will be possible.

So you have 18minutes to get your score as high as possible, after that it won't matter how long/quick you complete the Nightfall.

I see that as a good compromise between Scoring and Time Limited - and should stop the spawn killing grind some put in to PoE scoring.

The raid loadout stuff is really interesting (and something they will put in for all prestige versions of Raids) - the DPS strats will be good to see again. One thing I didn't mention, it will rotate weekly. So week one could be Calus with X modifiers and loadout, week 2 could be Eater of Worlds with Y modifiers and loadout.

I guess they just iterated on Generic's (I think it was his idea?) double shotgun Crota loadout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Thank f**k. This may get me back playing on its own.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46627

all the details.

With these changes, the changes we saw in Iron Banner, the changes we saw detailed with regards to the Sandbox last week - it really does feel like bungie are moving Destiny to where it should be (and should have been). Might be too late for some, but I would still say 'Better late than Never'.

Another interesting point, Activison confirmed yesterday that we are getting an expansion in May (which we knew about) and a 'Major' expansion in September, which I would say we all expected but hadn't been confirmed yet.

The Taken King was a turning point for Destiny 1, I wonder if that is an indicator of what Bungie would have planned in D2 (ie they have always been looking at and working towards the Sept. expansion deliverying a lot of new content and a refresh of the game world) or if it will just be a much bigger content drop than CoO, but more in line with that type of content. Maybe a lot of the changes we are getting between now and May were things they had been thinking about for September. I dunno. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

To be honest, I'll take note when the features really surpass D1, which at this point they're still quite a distant behind, amazingly.

AdamD wrote: »
    To be honest, I'll take note when the features really surpass D1, which at this point they're still quite a distant behind, amazingly.

What features do you care about though? You never seemed one for the PVE grind.

My assumptions is the fixed roll stuff would suit you - easier to get the weapons and no issue with not getting the god roll.

Is it just the sandbox (weapon types/supers/abilities)? and the speed of PVP, really?

I can see PVP being sped up - looks like Supers, Abilities and movement are going to get quicker. Nothing specific on TTK yet, which would be a worry if movement speed is increased without TTK being faster too.

I don't see the weapon system going back to Primary/Special/Heavy. We are getting more heavy ammo in a game, and I reckon we will see Rockets go to one round and other weapons bumped up - but I don't see Snipers etc going back to 'special' status. They would need to dump all the maps they have, which have been designed around Snipers/Shotguns etc not being available 90% of the match.

We might see Elimination coming back as a Trials variant but I don't see Survival or Countdown being removed - so we'd have a 3 type rotation, imo.

We know Private Matches are coming back.
    We know Ranked PVP is coming (But looks like a very poor implementation of it).

I see element burns are making a return as well, finally.

I see element burns are making a return as well, finally.

A much lower burn multuplyer I think, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What features do you care about though? You never seemed one for the PVE grind.

My assumptions is the fixed roll stuff would suit you - easier to get the weapons and no issue with not getting the god roll.

Is it just the sandbox (weapon types/supers/abilities)? and the speed of PVP, really?

I can see PVP being sped up - looks like Supers, Abilities and movement are going to get quicker. Nothing specific on TTK yet, which would be a worry if movement speed is increased without TTK being faster too.

I don't see the weapon system going back to Primary/Special/Heavy. We are getting more heavy ammo in a game, and I reckon we will see Rockets go to one round and other weapons bumped up - but I don't see Snipers etc going back to 'special' status. They would need to dump all the maps they have, which have been designed around Snipers/Shotguns etc not being available 90% of the match.

We might see Elimination coming back as a Trials variant but I don't see Survival or Countdown being removed - so we'd have a 3 type rotation, imo.

We know Private Matches are coming back.
    We know Ranked PVP is coming (But looks like a very poor implementation of it).
    Right now there's fewer game modes and maps (by a long shot) than D1. D1 actually had a crazy amount of maps. You also can't choose what mode you want to play, which is ridiculous. Whilst player numbers is an excuse now,it certainly wasn't at launch. The pace is off and the competitive playlist is just nonsense. Private matches doesn't bother me as you either have them at launch or they won't be used. There isn't suddenly gonna be a gamebattles community 6 months post launch, that opportunities gone so private games aren't holding much appeal to me.

If they increase movement speed without touching TTK the game will be an absolute mess, if people think its all teamshotting now, imagine the game but being even easier to make it to cover..the only way you'll be able to kill someone is teamshotting..

Not that teamshotting is bad, and the 'hand holding' people talk about on reddit is laughable nonsense. The strong teams on this game never ran around really close together, that's a losing strategy against anyone decent. My main issue with the sandbox is the TTK is slightly high and the lack of abilities is boring. I wouldn't touch grenades/super strength, I'd just make them more frequent. Melees need to be 2 hit kill too.

I still think the game is savable but I've seen nothing to make me think they actually will, especially given how slowly these updates are coming out. I mean, does anyone give a **** about what's coming in September? Fortnite are patching the game on a weekly basis, creating game modes to try out balance changes before they're implemented, its development on another level to Bungie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

It's all very positive news.

I haven't played in weeks, and I feel excited to go back and try the new changes.

I hope it comes back strong, it'd be a real shame to see it die after all the great times and laughs D1 provided over the last few years.

A much lower burn multuplyer I think, though.
    25% I think it said. It's a start anyways

AdamD wrote: »
    Right now there's fewer game modes and maps (by a long shot) than D1. D1 actually had a crazy amount of maps. You also can't choose what mode you want to play, which is ridiculous. Whilst player numbers is an excuse now,it certainly wasn't at launch. The pace is off and the competitive playlist is just nonsense. Private matches doesn't bother me as you either have them at launch or they won't be used. There isn't suddenly gonna be a gamebattles community 6 months post launch, that opportunities gone so private games aren't holding much appeal to me.

If they increase movement speed without touching TTK the game will be an absolute mess, if people think its all teamshotting now, imagine the game but being even easier to make it to cover..the only way you'll be able to kill someone is teamshotting..

Not that teamshotting is bad, and the 'hand holding' people talk about on reddit is laughable nonsense. The strong teams on this game never ran around really close together, that's a losing strategy against anyone decent. My main issue with the sandbox is the TTK is slightly high and the lack of abilities is boring. I wouldn't touch grenades/super strength, I'd just make them more frequent. Melees need to be 2 hit kill too.

I still think the game is savable but I've seen nothing to make me think they actually will, especially given how slowly these updates are coming out. I mean, does anyone give a **** about what's coming in September? Fortnite are patching the game on a weekly basis, creating game modes to try out balance changes before they're implemented, its development on another level to Bungie.
    Thats all fair - and I 100% agree with you on the TTK (as I kinda said myself).

Personally I am actually a fan of the non-choice in playlists - it forces me to play modes I probably would have just avoided otherwise.

The number of maps is low, and I think it is made even worse by the fact CoO maps are in a separate playlist to the original PvP playlist. Having separate playlists for the expansions is stupid - segregates the community, for benefit to no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Melees need to be 2 hit kill too

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Feck this, Ni-oh is taking my time now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Crimson Doubles goes live this evening... Still won't be enough to tempt me back unfortunately.

Still playing D1 with my new titan... pages and pages of missions to do. Should keep me busy till March / April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Crimson Doubles goes live this evening... Still won't be enough to tempt me back unfortunately.

Still playing D1 with my new titan... pages and pages of missions to do. Should keep me busy till March / April.

CD is pretty good, quicker recharge on grenades etc etc. I played a good few games last night as a solo player, mostly played teams of 2. Won some and lost some, one occassion my team-mate left so I just sat down for the rest of the game, did get a crimson engram drop as a reward.

Think you get one engram for just going to tess, and ended up getting 3 more as after match rewards. Defintely a step in the right direction for rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Anyone else looking forward to this evening's update?
    I know it's not going to transform the game but it's not gonna hurt either.
    I've 6 exotic engrams stashed away in the hope of not getting stung with more god damn duplicates.

Advertisement