Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,031 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Very disappointed that we aren't getting a substantive sandbox change soon though. The sandbox is the biggest problem. With ability damage and charge times where they are 6v6 will just continue the team shotting of 4v4. Sandbox changes are what was needed the most, they needed to increase the power fantasy and make the game play itself more fun. Without doing that the changes to the modes we play are just window dressing.

i just think the problem people have with PvP is not actually that it is 4vs4. that isn't why we have a team shotting meta. It is because the weapons take so much longer to kill. As an example, the Better Devils takes one shot more than EyasLuna to get a kill. A fast Better Devils kill is about the same as a slow (all body shot) EyasLuna kill.

They took out the one shot kill specials (moving them to heavy) and at the same time nerfed the TTK on what were the primaries. A double nerf to the meta that wasn't needed. Same happened with grenades. We got fed up of the sticky meta in D1 because we had ability spam AND they OHK AND they had stupid aim assist. In D2 they reduce the amount of grenades we have AND reduced their damage. If you have a one hit kill sticky grenade that is ok (IMO) just don't make it boomerang around a corner on to my face cause of the aim assist. They should have just made them like the hunter throwing knife.

Without substantively addressing the sandbox and the TTK the team shotting issues are not be addressed at all. In 6vs6 it will be even harder to catch one (or two) opponents isolated to take out in a 1vs1 - so team shotting is going to become an even bigger issue.

I like a number of the changes they are making to rewards (most of them are no brainers that should have been in the game or the way the game worked on Day 1 - anyone could have told bungie that before the game even launched) but I think without addressing the problems with the core gameplay mechanics you aren't going to draw people back to PvP, you aren't fixing the major issue with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So in 9 months D2 might finally have all of the features that D1 had? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

AdamD wrote: »
    So in 9 months D2 might finally have all of the features that D1 had? lol

Think that about sums it up alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Question is do we really trust Bungie as a company to fix this, personally I have my doubts especially considering the recent article by Jason schreier stating that the eververse is more a bungie idea than activision's.

You got a link to that article JCD?

Fieldog wrote: »

Don't have a link to hand but to me that's a bit of a mischaractorisation.

Yes, it seems like it is a bungie idea BUT it was required as a source of revenue (required by activision) in place of the normal, more substantive, dlc packs we didn't get after the taken king released (until rise of iron and then nothing again).

Eververse was a bungie idea to appease their obligations to activision.

What eververse is now though.... I'm blaming bungie for this one.

Now we have a far more intrusive eververse and disappointing paid DLC packs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Fieldog wrote: »
    Don't have a link to hand but to me that's a bit of a mischaractorisation.

Yes, it seems like it is a bungie idea BUT it was required as a source of revenue (required by activision) in place of the normal, more substantive, dlc packs we didn't get after the taken king released (until rise of iron and then nothing again).

Eververse was a bungie idea to appease their obligations to activision.

What eververse is now though.... I'm blaming bungie for this one.

Now we have a far more intrusive eververse and disappointing paid DLC packs too.

I was talking about an article which expanded on what he said on a live podcast, the article went into it in more detail, where he expanded on the point that activision never approached bungie to implement micro transactions, it was a bungie suggestion to bridge the gap in their contractual obligations to activision, activision agreed but according to shirer, they were hesitant as the content expansions were seen as key to maintaining the franchise.

in the same article he spoke about how destiny 2 originaly went into production in nov 2014, but scrapped the project in early 2016 and rebooted the game.
    basically same as destiny 1, activision where according to him furious with the decision and insisted on the expansion packs being brought back, which is what bungie wanted to avoid as it was a serious strain on the studio to crank out content and was the reason for the implementation of eververse to begin with.

I dont have the interview to hand, i'll have a proper look at the weekend, (busy with work till then) but the original place where he mentioned it prior to expanding in the written interview is in the destiny tracker podcast.
    worth starting there and looking into it, if you have the time.

It's very interesting even just from a "how its made" standpoint.

Conovar.
    Its entirely possible im overstating it a bit , but honestly I think your down-playing it a bit.

Field-dog
    I'd recommend listening to the podcast and rooting out the subsequent interview and forming your own conclusions on it.

on an entirely seperate note 6v6's= happy jcd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I like the idea of the changes and 6vs6 should have never left if I'm honest, the thing that píssed me off is that yeah, a hell of a lot of this stuff was already in Destiny one after numerous updates (ie private PvP etc) who decided to not ship with all that stuff?

Seems a little short sighted that now they are rolling back a lot of these changes as they are hemorrhaging players...

I know eververse needs to exist but as they say, the balance is tipped in Tess favour, so we will see how they get on with this stuff in the future...

Fieldog wrote:
    I like the idea of the changes and 6vs6 should have never left if I'm honest, the thing that píssed me off is that yeah, a hell of a lot of this stuff was already in Destiny one after numerous updates (ie private PvP etc) who decided to not ship with all that stuff?

Fieldog wrote:
    Seems a little short sighted that now they are rolling back a lot of these changes as they are hemorrhaging players...

Fieldog wrote:
    I know eververse needs to exist but as they say, the balance is tipped in Tess favour, so we will see how they get on with this stuff in the future...

Obviously pure speculation on my part but if the game was scrapped and rebooted in 2016 I'm not surprised it end up the husk they launched with.

Hopefully they deliver on what they've said.

Myself and I'd imagine a lot like me bought both expansions at launch/pre-order, I'd say they need to deliver like all holy hell in that expansion as I don't see many buying a another expansion at current game build.

I mean the likes of us will, with so many players in the clan( both bo1-3 and so)
    The raid lair alone is worth 20 quid personally.

But I don't see the wider community staying unless the hammer us with content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Personally I won't be buying anymore expansions after the two I have paid for have landed.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Personally I won't be buying anymore expansions after the two I have paid for have landed.

shut up noob your no loss anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

jcd5971 wrote: »

shut up noob your no loss anyway :p

1v1 me in irl bro.

I totally will be. No point in me lying to myself about it.

It's destiny. I'll buy it and love it, for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

What are everyone's thoughts on the Faction token throttling? 10 min lockout after every 2 pickups (including public events)

This tells me one thing. Not a single developer in Bungie could manage to stop the door from re-opening in the EDZ.

It's a shockingly poor decision by Bungie.

Also, no S2 weapons from the faction vendors either lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

What are everyone's thoughts on the Faction token throttling? 10 min lockout after every 2 pickups (including public events)

This tells me one thing. Not a single developer in Bungie could manage to stop the door from re-opening in the EDZ.

It's a shockingly poor decision by Bungie.

Also, no S2 weapons from the faction vendors either lol!

Doesn't really bother me to be honest, as in I'll do the Milestones and be happy. I've pledged to all 3 so No matter which one wins, I'll get a cheap AR.

The weapon thing doesn't bother me either, from a usage point of view. I have me guns I like and everything else is just taking up space. From a rewards point of view it's pi55 poor if there are no S2 weapons, though I'd say it's just a % drop issue from rank up packages, probably tied into the whole DLC locking/unlocking issue. Poor form either way.

They just can't seem to get anything right with D2. I wouldn't be surprised if they're secretly thinking to themselves (and not even mentioning it among themselves, but a collective thought) the sooner we get beyond D2 the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's astonishing how much goodwill Bungie has pi**ed away. There was quite a large and loyal community but they seem to lurch from one bad decision to the next alienating it as they go.
    I was actually fine with the base game, had fun but no longetivity and I moved on. When there's a lull I'll be back to play the DLC, hopefully they'll have stuff fixed or better by then.

It may be time to consider opening up a Megabitch thread.

Bungie F up for today : none of the new weapons are possible drops from faction packages.

Deliberately.

The only new weapon is whatever the faction winner is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Bungie F up for today : none of the new weapons are possible drops from faction packages.

Deliberately.

The only new weapon is whatever the faction winner is.

I saw a side arm in the fwc loot pool from the engram, is that new ?

That guy dmg04 said there would be 5 new weapons over season2, so the winner guns this time will be in engrams next event and same going foward.

I dunno why they just didnt come out and say this before the event instead of people finding out crap for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So apparently Deej has removed any mention of being community manager from his Twitter profile, and Bungo are hiring a new one

https://careers.bungie.com/en-us/careers/marketing/957583/community-manager

So apparently Deej has removed any mention of being community manager from his Twitter profile, and Bungo are hiring a new one

https://careers.bungie.com/en-us/careers/marketing/957583/community-manager
    according to cozmo neither he nor deej are leaving

I wonder what salary the role pays? 100k+??
    I'd say Deej has moved to a different role within the business! He's a decent chap who was expected to flog a dead horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Not logged onto this in weeks and seriously no interest.
    Such a let down overall and getting to the point of "too little, too late" with anything they might do from here on.
    Prob uninstall it over the weekend to make room on drives. Makes me sad considering the potential :(

Noxin wrote: »
    Such a let down overall and getting to the point of "too little, too late" with anything they might do from here on.
    Prob uninstall it over the weekend to make room on drives. Makes me sad considering the potential :(

TBH, I'd leave it installed.. Check back in next month and see how it is - There will be a big patch update at the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I really should get around to playing Curse of Osiris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Noxin wrote: »

I’m in a very similar boat.

I logged on last night and it just felt like same old story. I enjoyed a few games of crucible. Even topped my team on a few occasions.

It’s not a bad game. I think I had unreasonable expectations tbh.

It doesn’t help that there’s sooo many other games out there worth playing.

Will definitely be leaving it installed as I paid for the dlc up front.

I don’t think I would again to be honest.

I’m in a very similar boat.

I logged on last night and it just felt like same old story. I enjoyed a few games of crucible. Even topped my team on a few occasions.

It’s not a bad game. I think I had unreasonable expectations tbh.

It doesn’t help that there’s sooo many other games out there worth playing.

Will definitely be leaving it installed as I paid for the dlc up front.

I don’t think I would again to be honest.

I would doubt your expectations were unreasonable, to be honest. I think Destiny 2 fell well short in a huge number of areas that we were reasonably able to expect.

Should we have expected all weapons to be nerfed? All abilities to be nerfed? All subclasses customisation to be nerfed?

Should have have expected few PvP modes? Should we have expected Heroic Strike to lose their modifiers? Should have we have expected strike specific loot to be lost from the game, collectables to be lost from the game? for the vault situation to be even worse than we had with Destiny 1?

Put the mantle mechanic in Destiny 1 and its a better game in most respects.

And I say that as a player whom I reckon Bungie were squarely aiming at with a lot of their PVP changes.

I saw online that the RakaRaka have finally done a destiny video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwHU6J1zBhY&t=9s

For those who don't know them, they are group of friends from AUS/NZ who make ultra violent home made videos that are insane!!

They are most famous for their Ronald McDonald clips where the character, Ronald is an hilarious psychopathic murderer.. but their most infamous clip is their Mortal Kombat one - Be warned, it's as gross and graphic as it gets - Nothing I have seen in movies comes close to the gore!!

The Destiny one is cool though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jesus those guys are awesome. I loved the McDonald's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems that the name for Destiny 2: Expansion 2 have leaked again. A different description this time though which will probably be closer to the actual content.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-dlc-2-gods-of-mars-new-faction?amp&__twitter_impression=true

From reading the TWAB yesterday looks like there are fairly huge change coming for the sandbox at some point(March? May?)

All the classes being speed up in terms of their movement and mobility. Titan shoulder charge being put back to how it was. Arc Strider getting a bunch of buffs. Heavy ammo spawning more often and bricks dropping when you kill someone who had heavy. Supers are going to charge quicker. Mods 2.0 will improve ability recharge rates. all the weapons getting a buff (so it seems).

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46611

The faster movement and the weapon buffs are the most interesting part - as they play into each other in a big way. If the guns are only improved in terms of handling speed or accuracy, the increased movement could make the game even slower because if the TTK doesn't come down a bit then the faster movement will simply let you get back to cover that bit easier.

If you look at HC or Scouts (or Pulses I suppose) if it is one less trigger pull to down a target that is a huge decrease in TTK. I wonder if they would go that route, or increase the accuracy and rate of fire for all weapons so that the number of bullets is the same but the speed at which you can land them is increased.

Certainly looks interesting though.As I have said many times, it doesn't matter what they do in terms of adding content or changing up the reward system if the game itself isn't more fun to play. The sandbox is what keeps (or kept) people playing and that is the core of the problem with D2. Looks like a lot of these changes may address a lot of the problems, so it will be interesting to see how they play together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Unless those weapon buffs are quite big this could make the game even worse. Faster mobility times = easier to run from gunfights you're losing..

Not sure more power ammo is the answer in any way either. Can't see myself ever coming back to this unless they pull off a miracle.

Advertisement