Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

"if you're engaging me aggressively" - No one "engaged" McGregor aggressively or otherwise on top of the cage. Khabibs cousin was trying to get over it the same as McGregor.....

lol. Try taking your Anti-McGregor specs off for two seconds.

Abubakar sprinted from one side of the octagon to the other and jumped up on the cage beside McGregor... FACING HIM!

There are two reasons why it needs to be emphasized that he faced McGregor 1) it made it clear that his objective was not to get over the cage and 2) it meant that his objective was not to get a better view of what was happening with Khabib as being positioned that way meant he now had his back to the Danis / Khabib melee below and what other purpose did he have for jumping up there and facing McGregor like that if not to engage him?

Do you think he jumped up there looking for McGregor's autograph or something?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoxfVwmgv5p/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I think you've gotten mixed up with 'being a sportsman' and 'having sportsmanship'. The two are different and not mutually exclusive. Until you recognise the difference between the two, maybe you shouldn't claim that a man who competes in a sport at a high level isn't a sportsman.

Oh! Oh! Oh! The hairs… they are split…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol. Try taking your Anti-McGregor specs off for two seconds.

Abubakar sprinted from one side of the octagon to the other and jumped up on the cage beside McGregor... FACING HIM!

There are two reasons why it needs to be emphasized that he faced McGregor 1) it made it clear that his objective was not to get over the cage and 2) it meant that his objective was not to get a better view of what was happening with Khabib as being positioned that way meant he now had his back to the Danis / Khabib melee below and what other purpose did he have for jumping up there and facing McGregor like that if not to engage him?

Do you think he jumped up there looking for McGregor's autograph or something?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoxfVwmgv5p/

What? Even in that video he wasn't even looking at Conor when he threw the punch. There are better angles of Conor throwing the punch at him too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Haven't seen this angle before. Conor is mid climb, the other lad bounds in and jumps on the cage, but it looks like he knocks Conor's leg, then Conor its him based on that.

This is extreme nit-picking though :)

RasTa wrote: »
    What? Even in that video he wasn't even looking at Conor when he threw the punch.

He's climbing the cage, why would he be looking at him? He seen from the other side of the Octagon than McGregor was on the cage.
    There are better angles of Conor throwing the punch at him too.

Who's denying McGregor threw a punch? Why not just address the points I've made.

1) If he wanted to get over the cage why not do so? What's he stopping for?
    2) Why has he swung himself up there to face McGregor? The fight is the other direction.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Haven't seen this angle before. Conor is mid climb, the other lad bounds in and jumps on the cage, but it looks like he knocks Conor's leg, then Conor its him based on that.

Yeah, I've said that in other posts.

We know he does grip McGregor's ankle but it's unclear if it was before or after Conor threw that first punch.

• Advertisement

He's climbing the cage, why would he be looking at him? He seen from the other side of the Octagon than McGregor was on the cage.

Who's denying McGregor threw a punch? Why not just address the points I've made.

1) If he wanted to get over the cage why not do so? What's he stopping for?
    2) Why has he swung himself up there to face McGregor? The fight is the other direction.

Yeah, I've said that in other posts.

We know he does grip McGregor's ankle but it's unclear if it was before or after Conor threw that first punch.

3mins onwards, he had no intention of attacking Conor until Conor threw the first punch. Neveda gaming commission see it the same way too hence suspending him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

3mins onwards, he had no intention of attacking Conor until Conor threw the first punch. Neveda gaming commission see it the same way too hence suspending him

Exactly, he was trying to get over the cage, there were people standing on the other side stopping him from going straight out, he never even looks at mcGregor until he's hit.

Extremely one eyed from some on here.

3mins onwards, he had no intention of attacking Conor until Conor threw the first punch.

Yawn. Can you please address the points I made, particularly with regards to why he faced McGregor. He has his back to the fight below when he does that. So what are you saying his purpose for scaling the cage and swinging his body around to face McGregor was exactly, if not to engage him?

Here's that pic mentioned above of the ankle grab (admittedly just after McGregor throws on him). Here's wearing black gloves and you can see the thumb of his left hand:

ag8.jpg

Exactly, he was trying to get over the cage, there were people standing on the other side stopping him from going straight out...

There was nobody on the other side of the cage, so why didn't he keep going to the other side? Why sit up on the cage facing McGregor?
    he never even looks at mcGregor until he's hit.

Have you ever climbed a wall? You don't look at who's up on it as you do it. You're too busy looking at what you're gripping and in this case it was the top of the cage / McGregor's ankle. He knew he was up there as he had seen him scale it from the other side of the cage right after Khabib jumped over.
    Extremely one eyed from some on here.

You said it......

And you can be full sure if this was all reversed and it was McGregor who had jumped two footed at Abubakar in the crowd (right after he beat Khabib) throwing hammer blows as he did so, as two other members of Team McGregor joined in punching him in the head......... there is no fcuking way you'd be on here defending a member of Team McGregor (such as Cian Cowley for example) if he jumped up beside Khabib on the cage and had a punch thrown at him.

You'd no doubt be saying something along the lines of:
    That lowlife McGregor jumped into the crowd and was beating that chap with a couple of his scumbag mates, 3 on fcuking 1, no class and so I'm happy that other knacker Cowley got a punch when he jumped up beside Khabib as he was no doubt going to attack him and even if he wasn't it would understandable if he thought he was given that a few of team McGregor were giving one of his teammates a hiding in the crowd.

Be honest, you know damn well you would.......

Abubakar deserved his slap and I hope that piece of crap that jumped in the cage and punched McGregor in the back of the head gets a few down the line too. Punching a fighter, that has just fought four rounds, in the back of the head warrants jail time in my eyes and but for McGregor not pressing charges, he'd likely get it, juiced up scumbag.

And before anyone replies pointing out McGregor smashing bus windows, I've condemned that as scumbag behavior too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Abubakar deserved his slap and I hope that piece of crap that jumped in the cage and punched McGregor in the back of the head gets a few down the line too. Punching a fighter, that has just fought four rounds, in the back of the head warrants jail time in my eyes and but for McGregor not pressing charges, he'd likely get it, juiced up scumbag.

And before anyone replies pointing out McGregor smashing bus windows, I've condemned that as scumbag behavior too.

Knacker gets treated with knacker behaviour. Who'd have thought that.

• Advertisement

Yawn. Can you please address the points I made, particularly with regards to why he faced McGregor. He has his back to the fight below when he does that. So what are you saying his purpose for scaling the cage and swinging his body around to face McGregor was exactly, if not to engage him?

Here's that pic mentioned above of the ankle grab (admittedly just after McGregor throws on him). Here's wearing black gloves and you can see the thumb of his left hand:

ag8.jpg

What are you yawning for, just look at it in real time and stop posting pointless stills. He jumps the fence to get to khabib. Might of brushed off Conor as he leapt the fence hence Conor swinging for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

When did he nearly take McGregors head off?
    @ 1:19 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GA0yV3jZg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

AntiClimax wrote: »

Doesn't count because he was off balance at the time, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

We've already discussed this, not even counted as a knockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

We've already discussed this, not even counted as a knockdown.
    Still the best punch in the match by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Still the best punch in the match by far.

Conor-McGregor-UFC-229.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think it's fashionable to hate him, but it's definitely fashionable to act like the suffered the greatest, most embarrassing, and most one-side loss in MMA history....when none of those things are remotely true. A top class fighter lost to the best in the world at the moment, didn't show the great striking he's known for but did show surprisingly decent groundwork against the best animal in the game (most casual viewers wouldn't appreciate the significance of this either).

Khabib was the reason he did not get to get show his great striking. Do you acknowledge this, or, are you suggesting he had an off night. It is true Conor did better than a lot of Khabib's previous opponents in stopping take downs, but i don't see him improving to the extent needed to win a rematch. That punch he took in the third round is indicative of the dilemma he faces in any rematch. I do agree that the people saying his career is now in decline are letting their dislike of him get in the way. It's like boxing fans saying
    De La Hoya was finished when he lost to Mosley. I see parallels here because i believe Khabib will always be too good Mc Gregor, but Mc Gregor is still a top competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Labelling it a humiliation or not is probably not fair at this elite level of the sport.

But two mistakes from Conor really disappointed me:

Going for the knee to the head when Khabib took his first shot. If he just sprawled and stuffed that attempt...

And getting clocked with the Hail Mary overhand right. I know it came fast, I know he was worried about the takedown level changes. But to not slip that punch was so unlike him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The photo above reminds me of something similar here in Ireland.

It was Paul Cowzer (Rush Fight Academy) V Keith Cody (SBG)

Cowzer is the Casper lookalike lol

463685.jpeg

Here's the video (look who's in Cody's corner)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus the arm chair mma fans are out again.

But... it is after hours after all.

Jesus the arm chair mma fans are out again.

But... it is after hours after all.

You should check out the MMA forum, you'll vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Didn’t McGregor used to post in Boards?

The photo above reminds me of something similar here in Ireland.

It was Paul Cowzer (Rush Fight Academy) V Keith Cody (SBG)

Cowzer is the Casper lookalike lol

463685.jpeg

Here's the video (look who's in Cody's corner)

It’s a small world.
    The problem with MMA is that is built from the top down as opposed to other fighting sports which are built from the bottom up. The MMA stars dictate the sports where as in other sports like wrestling or boxing the tradition and amateur game is long established and the stars come from that.

This will probably change in years to come to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

lol at the lads in here forensically examining the footage. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Didn’t McGregor used to post in Boards?

Yeah and some of it was genuinely funny, plenty of trash talk back then as well.

It’s a small world.
    The problem with MMA is that is built from the top down as opposed to other fighting sports which are built from the bottom up. The MMA stars dictate the sports where as in other sports like wrestling or boxing the tradition and amateur game is long established and the stars come from that.

This will probably change in years to come to be fair.

That's the UFC you're talking about, the UFC isn't MMA. Its an entertainments company promoting an MMA event.

Most MMA fighters are still fighting in local competitions, GAA halls, sports clubs etc. And those events are still struggling to put bums on seats.

When Conor started fighting we were struggling to fill up GAA halls, and that was at something like €15 a ticket.

Its really difficult for those smaller events to get support, most people in the audiences are family members and club mates who usually feck off when their guy is done fighting.

There are some bigger events who get support but the guys fighting in local venues need the support too.

That's the UFC you're talking about, the UFC isn't MMA. Its an entertainments company promoting an MMA event.

Most MMA fighters are still fighting in local competitions, GAA halls, sports clubs etc. And those events are still struggling to put bums on seats.

When Conor started fighting we were struggling to fill up GAA halls, and that was at something like €15 a ticket.

Its really difficult for those smaller events to get support, most people in the audiences are family members and club mates who usually feck off when their guy is done fighting.

There are some bigger events who get support but the guys fighting in local venues need the support too.

You’re misunderstanding me.
    I am saying that MMA is a reliatively new sport and is being built from professional down whereas Boxing wrestling and others have long standing amateur and Olympic traditions and are hence built from the bottom up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What? Even in that video he wasn't even looking at Conor when he threw the punch. There are better angles of Conor throwing the punch at him too.

You're not winning that argument with someone who set up an Instagram account specifically to post those videos defending McG, fanboyism on a whole other level.

• Advertisement

You’re misunderstanding me.
    I am saying that MMA is a reliatively new sport and is being built from professional down whereas Boxing wrestling and others have long standing amateur and Olympic traditions and are hence built from the bottom up.

Its a new sport you're right, but its being built up from the amateurs in local clubs.

We had a lot of local events just a few years ago which weren't supported and fell by the way side, such a pity because this was where the likes of Conor, Owen Roddy, Chris Fields, Tom Egan, Paddy Holohan, Neil Seery etc hailed from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement