Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Khabib never lost a round in 27 professional fights,

McGregor took round 3.

Anyone who knows the sport can see he wasn’t as bad as people are making out and done a lot better on the ground than most who fought Khabib.

Yes he was beaten fair and square.

But hey it’s now fashionable to hate on Mcgregor and say he got mauled( buzzword for people who never watch mma) because that’s what Khabib does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

he can take an ass pounding in fairness to him

Yah and a punch as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Khabib never lost a round in 27 professional fights,

McGregor took round 3.

Anyone who knows the sport can see he wasn’t as bad as people are making out and done a lot better on the ground than most who fought Khabib.

Yes he was beaten fair and square.

But hey it’s now fashionable to hate on Mcgregor and say he got mauled( buzzword for people who never watch mma) because that’s what Khabib does.

It's not fashionable to hate on him now. He always came across as a w@nker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Omackeral wrote: »
    The state of that comment. Missed him by a fraction with it. In other words he nearly hit it... which is what the original comment said. So calm down with your lol and thinking you know what people think. Also, don't particularly care who won or lost, I've a very casual interest in the sport so not willing anything. Better man won on the night regardless of what you or I say.

Ya its clear to see you ve a very casual interest in the sport your comments reflect that

It's not fashionable to hate on him now. He always came across as a w@nker

Ah it is in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think it's fashionable to hate him, but it's definitely fashionable to act like the suffered the greatest, most embarrassing, and most one-side loss in MMA history....when none of those things are remotely true. A top class fighter lost to the best in the world at the moment, didn't show the great striking he's known for but did show surprisingly decent groundwork against the best animal in the game (most casual viewers wouldn't appreciate the significance of this either).

It was a defeat but nothing else, doesn't particularly change most peoples views of McGregors fighting abililty, or tell us anything we didn't already know. He was the underdog in the fight from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don't think it's fashionable to hate him, but it's definitely fashionable to act like the suffered the greatest, most embarrassing, and most one-side loss in MMA history....when none of those things are remotely true. A top class fighter lost to the best in the world at the moment, didn't show the great striking he's known for but did show surprisingly decent groundwork against the best animal in the game (most casual viewers wouldn't appreciate the significance of this either).

It was a defeat but nothing else, doesn't particularly change most peoples views of McGregors fighting abililty, or tell us anything we didn't already know. He was the underdog in the fight from the start.

I don’t think you get it.

We don’t care how well he lost. The fact is he lost, when he went on and on and on and on and on how he was going to win. He did the same with Mayweather.

He hasn’t won a fight in years now. As far as I’m concerned he’s just full of himself. His words don’t reflect his actions.

mad muffin wrote: »

We don’t care how well he lost. The fact is he lost, when he went on and on and on and on and on how he was going to win. He did the same with Mayweather.

He hasn’t won a fight in years now. As far as I’m concerned he’s just full of himself. His words don’t reflect his actions.

3 fights in 2 years and he won 1 and lost 2.

He’s washed up alright.

2.5 million ppvs.

Whatever about his fighting no one can argue that he gets bums in seats.

3 fights in 2 years and he won 1 and lost 2.

He’s washed up alright.

2.5 million ppvs.

Whatever about his fighting no one can argue that he gets bums in seats.

And do you think that’s going to continue if he loses the next fight(if there is a next one)?

Hes been strutting around on past glories.

Of course his gonna go on about how his gonna win...were you expecting him to talk about how he ll lose?

He lost to to 2 of the most elite combat athletes in the world, one in a sport he never competed in. Saying his 2 and 1 in his last 3 doesnt quite tell the full story accurately.

Do you actively try to deny reality ? his words and actions are reflected in PPV sales, which is the name of the game in prize fighting... the hints in the name.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the last weekend will quieten him anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Of course he did. McGregor is all about the promotion. Not saying I support his antics/behavior, but it's what he does....and signs on it, he's now one of the best known fighters in the world across any sport.

It's not because he's the best in the world, he's just a great fighter who's had a business plan since day one that's paid off, and then some.

He's actually transcended the sport to become a global celebrity. He is the face of MMA to the average joe. Even your granny would know who he is, even if she still doesn't know what MMA is.

Only a fool thought he would beat Mayweather. Personally I wouldn't even count that as a loss...McGregor won in so far as he made an utter fortune, that was only ever his aim. All the talk was to achieve that, McGregor probably didn't even expect to do as well as he actually did....even if Mayweather gave him an easy ride.

His record is 21-4 with 18 KO's against some of the best in the division. No matter what way you look at it, he's a good fighter.

So yeah, he lost to Khabib, fair and square, but so what. That's the fight game, happens the best....except Khabib so far, incidentally.

Hopefully the last weekend will quieten him anyway..

The 30 million in the bank might quiten the people who are now experts and telling us he’s finished:)

Cupatae wrote: »
    Of course his gonna go on about how his gonna win...were you expecting him to talk about how he ll lose?

He lost to to 2 of the most elite combat athletes in the world, one in a sport he never competed in. Saying his 2 and 1 in his last 3 doesnt quite tell the full story accurately.

Do you actively try to deny reality ? his words and actions are reflected in PPV sales, which is the name of the game in prize fighting... the hints in the name.

I don’t want excuses. I want to see him win… like he says he wil… but ends up losing. He struts around like he’s cock of the walk. But he’s only proved that he’s turned into a feather duster.

If he put into his training as much as he puts into his “act” he might win the next fight. He’s been found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I don’t want excuses. I want to see him win… like he says he wil… but ends up loosing. He struts around like he’s cock of the walk. But he’s only proved that he’s turned into a feather duster.

If he put into his training as much as he puts into his “act” he might win the next fight. He’s been found wanting.

He lost to arguably the best fighter on the planet right now. He hasn't been found wanting at all.

He lost to arguably the best fighter on the planet right now. He hasn't been found wanting at all.

That’s great then. He’s first loser.

That’s great then. He’s first loser.

You're embarrassing yourself now.

You're embarrassing yourself now.

Not as much as McGregor did. Losing to Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Losing to an undefeated champion isn't embarrassing whatsoever.

I've a question for you. Do you like sports? In particular which ones?

• Advertisement

I've a question for you. Do you like sports? In particular which ones?

I realized muffin is just another one who can’t wait to knock a man when he’s down.

He lost we get it, it’s no big deal, but this whole he’s finished and taking delight is pathetic.

I realized muffin is just another one who can’t wait to knock a man when he’s down.

He lost we get it, it’s no big deal, but this whole he’s finished and taking delight is pathetic.

Ya theres loads of people that delight in seeing people fail, the mma community is one of the more toxic when it comes to fighter bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Omackeral wrote: »
    Losing to an undefeated champion isn't embarrassing whatsoever.

Crying at them end of a round that “it’s only business” after your opponent has been mocking you with “let’s talk now” while ground and pounding on you is embarrassing though.

Cupatae wrote: »
    Ya theres loads of people that delight in seeing people fail, the mma community is one of the more toxic when it comes to fighter bashing.

Begrudgery!!!

Crying at them end of a round that “it’s only business” after your opponent has been mocking you with “let’s talk now” while ground and pounding on you is embarrassing though.

Slight exaggeration there

You guys defending McGregor just don’t get it. It’s not the fact that he lost. It’s the way he goes about… and then lost.

If he was humble… even a little bit. But right now the only thing he’s notorious for is flapping his lips.

Still no verification he said it’s only business and if he did it’s what he has always said all through his ufc career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You guys defending McGregor just don’t get it. It’s not the fact that he lost. It’s the way he goes about… and then lost.

If he was humble… even a little bit. But right now the only thing he’s notorious for is flapping his lips.

And if he didn't flap his lips, do you think almost 2.5 million people would have tuned in to watch him lose?

Hey, did you miss my post?

• Advertisement

Its not defending him, its just not celebrating his loss and being hyperbolic about it, You re more of a hater than anything else, so ur just gonna exaggerate and constantly be negative about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement