Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Great that we have some Boards.ie Psychologists clearing up stuff for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Motivator wrote: »
    I’m far from delusional. I saw it with my own eyes in Marseille in 2016. There was a small group of Russians eating breakfast in a cafe underneath our hotel and a huge group of English came around the corner and started mouthing. They obviously thought there was safety in numbers. They spent a good 10 minutes goading the Russians who were cool and calm. The Russians asked them to **** off nice and politely and when the English didn’t, the lads simply finished their breakfast and picked a man each. Once they swiftly dealt with the first lot, the just moved on through the crowd. The English got such a fright that they froze and didn’t know what to do. The Russians are dangerous fighters and in this case they didn’t do anything more than level the English. One punch, drop the man and move on to the next. These fellas were like John Rambo.

If the Russians last night had apopted similar tactics there’d had been dozens of Irish on the ground before anyone would even know what had happened. The thing with the Russians, Germans, Polish etc. is that they know exactly how to punch. Hit the man properly, drop him and move on. They are highly trained and unlike the Irish who, if anyone has watched a late night drunken brawl outside a nightclub, just start throwing punch after punch. No calculation, no skill and no technique. It would have been carnage had those Russian lads actually wanted a proper fight last night. I’ve no doubt plenty of Irish lads got a hiding last night away from cctv cameras and police that were all over that arena last night.

Whilst I would tend to agree that eastern Europeans are - broadly speaking - a bit tougher and more masculine due to their culture, it's important to put things into perspective and come away from this schoolboy playground narrative. I can't speak of all the incidents that went on in France but I do know that there were Russians there who were basically semi professional hooligans. It's hard to comprehend the stupidity of it but they actually train in much the same way an MMA fighter would to prepare themselves. It's also my understanding that most of the more extreme English hooligans had their passports taken off them long ago, so a lot of those Russian knuckleheads probably didn't get to have much of a fight with their counterparts.

There is a world of difference between a highly aggressive, trained individual and a regular Joe Bloggs. It would be a very scary situation for most people - myself included. In actual combat sports there doesn't appear to be too many differences in terms of ability or toughness between nations. Lots of variation between individuals but not in broad terms. Eastern Europe just has a different culture which is more macho with a tougher environment. But whether or not there is a greater percentage of people who are these ''Rambo'' types remains up for debate. It doesn't look like they did any better in Afghanistan, although that's another subject altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This is how I see it going down if there’s a rematch.

McGregor goes underground for a year. No one here’s from him. In that year Conor devotes all his time to training jujitsu with a renowned trainer. He basically becomes zen.

Khabib doesn’t anticipate this and is taken by surprise. McGregor wins.

HAHAAAHAAAAHAAAA… yeah that’s not going to happen. McGregor is way past his prime. He’s not as hungry for it. He’ll never win another fight.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 HR Lady

Imo, Connor McG's aggressive and insulting rhetoric is an echo of what he heard from the bullies that he encountered growing up. Its a good example of what bullying can do to a person; in ways he has morphed into the type of person he hated as a teenager growing up in Crumlin.
    He was bullied by a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

HR Lady wrote: »
    He was bullied by a bus.

If it wasn't for his friend Hand Truck, his life could have been so different.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    This is how I see it going down if there’s a rematch.

McGregor goes underground for a year. No one here’s from him. In that year Conor devotes all his time to training jujitsu with a renowned trainer. He basically becomes zen.

Khabib doesn’t anticipate this and is taken by surprise. McGregor wins.

HAHAAAHAAAAHAAAA… yeah that’s not going to happen. McGregor is way past his prime. He’s not as hungry for it. He’ll never win another fight.

He just turned 30... lost to the best wrestler in the division, but is waaaay past his prime? and that all = he ll never win again!

I genuinely fear for the human race the logic online is just getting worse and worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Cupatae wrote: »
    He just turned 30... lost to the best wrestler in the division, but is waaaay past his prime? and that all = he ll never win again!

I genuinely fear for the human race the logic online is just getting worse and worse!

Its OK, people like him have no clue about MMA so just see a McGregor loss as him being finished. They actually don't know anything about the man he lost to and just how good he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Its OK, people like him have no clue about MMA so just see a McGregor loss as him being finished. They actually don't know anything about the man he lost to and just how good he is.

We shall revisit this…

Who was it said he'll never win another 5 round fight in ufc?

The name Mystic mac is a joke as of now though.

He may win again. But he can NEVER say he's the greatest again

• Advertisement

And if he turns around and knocks Khabib out in a rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why would he get a rematch though? He was solidly defeated.

"if" my son, if! No one can ever argue against 'if'.

Khabib nearly took his head clean off in the second round. McGregor (the druggie that I suspect he is) will age faster than Khabib in the next year. He'd probably only get beaten more badly. Get over the Diaz rematch and the win or learn bull****. Khabib learned too. Khabib now has the wisdom that Diaz had to learn the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Omackeral wrote: »

I can't understand that either.

He was, I completely agree. But money talks and there will definitely be a rematch.

"if" my son, if! No one can ever argue against 'if'.

Khabib nearly took his head clean off in the second round. McGregor (the druggie that I suspect he is) will age faster than Khabib in the next year. He'd probably only get beaten more badly. Get over the Diaz rematch and the win or learn bull****. Khabib learned too. Khabib now has the wisdom that Diaz had to learn the hard way.

When did he nearly take McGregors head off?

He was, I completely agree. But money talks and there will definitely be a rematch.
    He'll have alzheimer's by 50 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That is why

FB_IMG_14435672196761.jpg?fit=455%2C455&ssl=1

McGregor has control over his destiny in the UFC, the money he pulls is just astronomical.

A re-match is inevitable. Completely undeserved though and the lead up will be ridiculously pantomine verbal warfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Philosophy Zombie

That is why

FB_IMG_14435672196761.jpg?fit=455%2C455&ssl=1

McGregor has control over his destiny in the UFC, the money he pulls is just astronomical.

A re-match is inevitable. Completely undeserved though and the lead up will be ridiculously pantomine verbal warfare.

What a deeply disturbing picture!

When did he nearly take McGregors head off?

Specifically here;

conorknockdown.gif

And then nearly cranked it off here

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

How cant he? Gsp lost and is considered one of the greatest, Silva lost, Fedor lost Ali Lost of course he will go down as one of the ATG, mystic mac is a joke to people that genuinely believed it to being with...

Specifically here;

conorknockdown.gif

tenor.gif

That was a nothing punch that caught mcgregor stepping backwards and knocked him off balance. In fact it isn't even counted as a knockdown.

Specifically here;

conorknockdown.gif

tenor.gif

Khabibs best shot landed clean on the chin and still didnt come close to ko'ing him the lad has a granite chin infairness lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

he can take an ass pounding in fairness to him

That was a nothing punch that caught mcgregor stepping backwards and knocked him off balance. In fact it isn't even counted as a knockdown.
    Khabibs best shot landed clean on the chin and still didnt come close to ko'ing him the lad has a granite chin infairness lol

Look a second after that. The running knee is more so what I'm referring to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Look a second after that. The running knee is more so what I'm referring to.

For that running knee to nearly take his head off it would have to land and it wasn't even near McGregor's head.

For that running knee to nearly take his head off it would have to land and it wasn't even near McGregor's head.

They were willing it to so bad that they convinced themselves it hit him lol

They were willing it to so bad that they convinced themselves it hit him lol

The state of that comment. Missed him by a fraction with it. In other words he nearly hit it... which is what the original comment said. So calm down with your lol and thinking you know what people think. Also, don't particularly care who won or lost, I've a very casual interest in the sport so not willing anything. Better man won on the night regardless of what you or I say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The state of that comment. Missed him by a fraction with it. In other words he nearly hit it... which is what the original comment said. So calm down with your lol and thinking you know what people think. Also, don't particularly care who won or lost, I've a very casual interest in the sport so not willing anything. Better man won on the night regardless of what you or I say.

It hit McGregor in the arm. It wasn't close to hitting his head.

• Advertisement

So he missed him yet nearly took mcgregors head off?
    So basically you're saying that McGregor nearly took Khabibs head off with the punches he threw?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement