Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm not sure why you keep trying to discuss sports considering you've already admitted you've no interest in it.

Last I checked. This is after hours. Not the sports forum. Perhaps you are the one who is lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

mad muffin wrote: »
    Last I checked. This is after hours. Not the sports forum. Perhaps you are the one who is lost?

It is indeed but you've admitted you have no interest in sport. So why try to discuss it and be wrong so consistently? Mayweather being humble is a classic though hahaha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is indeed but you've admitted you have no interest in sport. So why try to discuss it and be wrong so consistently? Mayweather being humble is a classic though hahaha

The guy trademarked the term 'the best ever'. He's as humble as they come.

Compared to McGregor yes. Very humble. Mayweather is an absolute legend. Worth more than McGregor could earn in 10 lifetimes. McGregor won’t even warrant a cliff note in the annals of history.

Compared to McGregor yes. Very humble. Mayweather is an absolute legend. Worth more than McGregor could earn in 10 lifetimes. McGregor won’t even warrant a cliff note in the annals of history.

How do you know? You've no interest in sport.

• Advertisement

It’s simple mathematics really.

right, so I deleted my psycho-analysis post, although its too late as I have been quoted several times now.

I admire Connor because he is a self made mega success, and he has done so through sheer hard work, single-minded focus and talent... plus a huge amount of self belief.

This time around he went to the dark side though. I wonder did he have a few shots of whiskey before the press conference. Was the bus incident for the same reason? This fight brought out the worst in both contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He has that record because by and large he has beaten tin cans to get to that 50-0 record.

Mayweathers last 12 victories:

Conor McGregor
    Manny Pacquiao
    Marcos Maidana
    Marcos Maidana
    Canelo Álvarez
    Robert Guerrero
    Miguel Cotto
    Victor Ortiz
    Shane Mosley
    Juan Manuel Márquez
    Ricky Hatton
    Oscar De La Hoya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

J Mysterio wrote: »

Conor McGregor
    Manny Pacquiao
    Marcos Maidana
    Marcos Maidana
    Canelo Álvarez
    Robert Guerrero
    Miguel Cotto
    Victor Ortiz
    Shane Mosley
    Juan Manuel Márquez
    Ricky Hatton
    Oscar De La Hoya

A great record, but your not telling the full story, you list off the victory but leave out the fact of when he chose to face these fighters, his a smart man and picked his fights wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Get The Strap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Conor McGregor
    Manny Pacquiao
    Marcos Maidana
    Marcos Maidana
    Canelo Álvarez
    Robert Guerrero
    Miguel Cotto
    Victor Ortiz
    Shane Mosley
    Juan Manuel Márquez
    Ricky Hatton
    Oscar De La Hoya

And the 38 before that?

Conor McGregor
    Manny Pacquiao
    Marcos Maidana
    Marcos Maidana
    Canelo Álvarez
    Robert Guerrero
    Miguel Cotto
    Victor Ortiz
    Shane Mosley
    Juan Manuel Muez
    Ricky Hatton
    Oscar De La Hoya

Someone already got there before me, it's his choosing of when to fight most of those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

rUESSpA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Cupatae wrote: »
    A great record, but your not telling the full story, you list off the victory but leave out the fact of when he chose to face these fighters, his a smart man and picked his fights wisely!

He did, but he's still undoubtedly one of the greatest boxers of all time - extraordinary foot work, focus, timing and technical excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Mayweather is without doubt the best of his generation but since the De La Hoya fight he always had a lot of control and stacked the deck in his favour in ways that are just not possible in the UFC. He made sure to stay away when Pacquiao was on the type of streak Khabib is on now. I think Mayweather would've beaten a peak Pacquiao too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Mayweather is without doubt the best of his generation but since the De La Hoya fight he always had a lot of control and stacked the deck in his favour in ways that are just not possible in the UFC. He made sure to stay away when Pacquiao was on the type of streak Khabib is on now. I think Mayweather would've beaten a peak Pacquiao too.

Certainly I don't think either he or pacquiao thought of it as anything other than an exhibition match. Who would have beaten who at their peak is one of those things debated after a few jars amongst fans of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I'm not an expert - just somewhat of a casual - but the boxer in recent times (pound for pound) who looked the most unbeatable was Roy Jones Jr in his prime years. Outrageous speed and agility. Just the athleticism in itself was a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Mayweather was mustard, like him or not he was the best of his generation. The Paquiao stuff was moot to be honest, he's actually older than Manny so the idea he waited for him to be past his prime and all of that is cobblers. He beat pretty much the best of the best during his 30s and that's fair enough.

Odhinn wrote: »
    He did, but he's still undoubtedly one of the greatest boxers of all time - extraordinary foot work, focus, timing and technical excellence.

Definitely in the top 5 of all time, nobody can question that. But the 50-0 record he has is very skewed in his favour due to the timing of certain fights, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rUESSpA.jpg

Can't believe that was posted and the following posts are by a bunch of bitches discussing mayweather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rUESSpA.jpg

Respect to Khabib for that one.

CmcG way overstepped the mark in the run up to this one. Now he's discovering what its like to be the bully brought back down to earth.

I hope Conor retires and fecks off.

Can't believe that was posted and the following posts are by a bunch of bitches discussing mayweather

That's being discussed in the other McGregor threads by people who have a clue about MMA which is much better than the clueless fools on this thread.

That's being discussed in the other McGregor threads by people who have a clue about MMA which is much better than the clueless fools on this thread.

Oh snap! Sweet burn niggit!

Oh snap! Sweet burn niggit!

Not down with the lingo I'm afraid. Niggit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

There were certain fights at certain times that Mayweather swerved.

He stayed away from Margarito and Paul Williams at welterweight, he was better than both clearly but they would have been wrong for Floyd.

Manny Pacquiao in 2009/2010 was also avoided particularly having seen what he did to Cotto. Firmly believe Mayweather didnt want any part of him at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not down with the lingo I'm afraid. Niggit?

Niggit

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

For the "McGregor threw the first punch" crowd:

https://youtu.be/6NxF3i-PkTo?t=168

Chael Sonnen is a friend of Khabibs and regularly trains with him, as recently as last week before the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

For the "McGregor threw the first punch" crowd:

https://youtu.be/6NxF3i-PkTo?t=168

Chael Sonnen is a friend of Khabibs and regularly trains with him, as recently as last week before the fight.

"if you're engaging me aggressively" - No one "engaged" McGregor aggressively or otherwise on top of the cage. Khabibs cousin was trying to get over it the same as McGregor, someone from security had McGregors leg so he couldn't leave the cage so he took a swipe at the nearest member of Khabibs team.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

"if you're engaging me aggressively" - No one "engaged" McGregor aggressively or otherwise on top of the cage. Khabibs cousin was trying to get over it the same as McGregor, someone from security had McGregors leg so he couldn't leave the cage so he took a swipe at the nearest member of Khabibs team.

That's wimp talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No. He’s definitely not a sportsman.

I think you've gotten mixed up with 'being a sportsman' and 'having sportsmanship'. The two are different and not mutually exclusive. Until you recognise the difference between the two, maybe you shouldn't claim that a man who competes in a sport at a high level isn't a sportsman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement