Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I have always admired McGregors unwavering self belief, work ethic, his understanding of marketing, and what he has achieved because of all these combined.

As a person though he always came across as a bit of a knob, and how he is acting now is not really surprising to me. I still admire what he has achieved, and I would be delighted if my kids had any one of the talents listed above (minus his personality), so in that sense I would consider him a role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kids shouldn't be watching mma full stop.

Bad parenting.

Plenty of children do karate, boxing and jiu jitsu. All of those are components of Mixed Martial Arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Omackeral wrote: »
    Plenty of children do karate, boxing and jiu jitsu. All of those are components of Mixed Martial Arts.

Agree.

But they shouldn't be watching ufc.

Would you let your kids watch 2 men kick lumps out of eachother on the street?

Ears hanging off, blood, fat lips, people choking each other out.

Its not suitable for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Eyepatch wrote: »
    God forbid that anyone should attempt to kill McG. The thought comes to me that even a minor injury by shooting would put his career at an end. Hoping and praying that I'm not sowing a seed of distruction with that thought!

Ara Jaysus

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have always admired McGregors unwavering self belief, work ethic, his understanding of marketing, and what he has achieved because of all these combined.

As a person though he always came across as a bit of a knob, and how he is acting now is not really surprising to me. I still admire what he has achieved, and I would be delighted if my kids had any one of the talents listed above (minus his personality), so in that sense I would consider him a role model.

He quit the sport a number of times, if it wasn't for his mother and john kavanagh he might be still on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He quit the sport a number of times, if it wasn't for his mother and john kavanagh he might be still on the dole.

This is what people ignore. The legend his marketing team have people believing is a testament to the general public's gullibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

thedeere wrote: »
    What about someone on job seekers or some one drawing stamps?

They shouldnt be able to afford a car for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I like him ,

He's come from nothing and climbed to the top of his sport with pure determination and skill.

Did he need a shirt and tie to appear in court at a hastily organised appearance -No

Does he deserve his BMW i8 -yes and his rolls Royce's Lamborghini's ,pick up truck and what ever else he chooses to spend his money on like everyone else does .

I'd give a right arm ,testicle ,and kidney to have half of what he's got ,
    But I'll have to wait to a degree and decent paying job

Ah hes great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Mod-If you want to slander and defame someone go start a blog. Do it here again and your access will be removed.

Any evidence of the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

EICVD wrote: »
    Ah yeah sure 99% of us Dubs are like McGregor, or worse......

Certainly not 99% but come on, the obnoxious mouthpiece Jackeen is a character even non Irish people know about and would acknowledge exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

dd972 wrote: »
    Certainly not 99% but come on, the obnoxious mouthpiece Jackeen is a character even non Irish people know about and would acknowledge exists.

You're just sick because no culchie has ever achieved sporting megastardom unless you count Stephen Roche on his bicycle 30 years ago...or yer one with the red hair whose piss was full of whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This makes me laugh. Oh he's not a good role model for my child. Unless he's fathered that child it's not his responsibility, it's yours. He's made millions kicking the sh1t out of other men, and that's okay to inspire kids? He has a duty to make himself happy, and make his family happy and proud. He owes you or your kids fück all. If he's not a good role model don't expose your children to him or his behaviour, instead of taking to the internet to complain he's not a good role model.

This week has opened my eyes to what a bitter nasty country this really is. The whole countrys proud of him when he's winning and then taking actual glee from rumours he might be killed or he has a drug problem or he's in trouble in court or his relationship (a child's family) is a shambles. How is that worthy of being delighted over? A person who takes pleasure from watching someone's life fall asunder is worse and more disgusting than someone going to court in tracksuits or taking cocaine. He can change his clothes or stop doing drugs, people like that are missing something inside of them to find glee in another's misery.

This makes me laugh. Oh he's not a good role model for my child. Unless he's fathered that child it's not his responsibility, it's yours. He's made millions kicking the sh1t out of other men, and that's okay to inspire kids? He has a duty to make himself happy, and make his family happy and proud. He owes you or your kids fück all. If he's not a good role model don't expose your children to him or his behaviour, instead of taking to the internet to complain he's not a good role model.

This week has opened my eyes to what a bitter nasty country this really is. The whole countrys proud of him when he's winning and then taking actual glee from rumours he might be killed or he has a drug problem or he's in trouble in court or his relationship (a child's family) is a shambles. How is that worthy of being delighted over? A person who takes pleasure from watching someone's life fall asunder is worse and more disgusting than someone going to court in tracksuits or taking cocaine. He can change his clothes or stop doing drugs, people like that are missing something inside of them to find glee in another's misery.

All he actually finey wrong was get caught speeding.

That's it.

But people want blood. Making it out he murdered someone.

Its pathetic, people in their ivory towers never make mistakes.

Why do people feel the need to tell others that they dont like Conor Mcgregor. I mean Beyonce but I am not starting threads about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's probably the reason why he chooses to live in the US and not back home in the Republic of Begrudgery.

Oh why oh why can't he be like that nice, quiet, God-fearing Katie Taylor...

Agree.

But they shouldn't be watching ufc.

Would you let your kids watch 2 men kick lumps out of eachother on the street?

Ears hanging off, blood, fat lips, people choking each other out.

Its not suitable for kids.

It's not the same as street fighting at all. It's regulated quite well. My nephew is in jiu jitsu and loves it. It's great for his confidence and keeps him fit. Do you think boxing is unsuitable for children? Would you have an issue with letting them watch Katie Taylor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's not the same as street fighting at all. It's regulated quite well. My nephew is in jiu jitsu and loves it. It's great for his confidence and keeps him fit. Do you think boxing is unsuitable for children? Would you have an issue with letting them watch Katie Taylor?

I love mma but come on, it's not suitable for kids and if your expecting a prize fighter to be a role model then that's just had parenting

• Advertisement

I never said anything about role models. It's not his responsibility to be a role model to anyone but his own son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jackboy

This is what people ignore. The legend his marketing team have people believing is a testament to the general public's gullibility.

You could say that about all sports stars. He has won and lost some incredible fights. He always tries to push his limits while most fighters take on opponents with similar or less talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Conor with or without money would/is an absolute eejit.

Can't stand people who think they're above the law & hogs limelight constantly.

Fair play to him getting the few bob and fooling the Boxing world though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Don’t think the boxing world were fooled. His fight was largely met with derision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jr86 wrote: »
    the guy is even a feckin trend setter amongst younger males

That might say more about them than him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ah yeah. If he could box as well as Taylor I'd have more respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I love mma but come on, it's not suitable for kids and if your expecting a prize fighter to be a role model then that's just had parenting

Why isn't it suitable for kids ,
    I'd rather a MMA fighter as a role model over a footballer any day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Would you still think it gas if McGregor had knocked down a relative of yours when he was caught speeding at 150km?

well, i'd wonder what my relative was doing walking around on a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't think it's a question of being paid to be a good role model. We either are or we aren't.

Do we not all aspire to be good role models to young people in our lives, rather than the opposite. We would find it very difficult to go through life steering a neurtral course between these two. It's either one or the other.

So one minute you are saying that we should all aspire to being good role models to young people in our lives and then the next minute you are jumping up and down with glee in the hope that McGregor gets shot:-
    God forbid that anyone should attempt to kill McG. The thought comes to me that even a minor injury by shooting would put his career at an end. Hoping and praying that I'm not sowing a seed of distruction with that thought!

Hmmm, pot meet kettle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

All he actually finey wrong was get caught speeding.

That's it.

But people want blood. Making it out he murdered someone.

Its pathetic, people in their ivory towers never make mistakes.
    It's probably the reason why he chooses to live in the US and not back home in the Republic of Begrudgery.

If a noted drug dealer arrived to a court summons for speeding in a 150 grand sports car, which he proceeded to abandon in the road before going in to make a mockery of the fine and then departing at high speed in a hoody like Martin Cahill, people would rightly call that guy a right fúckíng sore on the arsé of society.

But because it's rags to riches, notorious Dublin character Conor McGregor.... sure's hes a self made young guys whos just going a bit mad with the money and anyway, he's not a role model to anyone and doesn't owe anyone "nuttin" so he's grand, let him on.........the mad bastard! :pac:

No one's begrudging him his success. Fair play to him. But show a small bit of respect. He loves a suit, why not wear one, at least pretend that your sorry for acting the eegit and leave the carpark in a slow and careful manner after making a joke about learning to slow down a bit!
    The one thing he can't buy is class it seems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement