Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

The man's Massive Ego is what will bring him down in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Of course he's earned that BMW. He's a highly skilled fighter and is arguably the biggest MMA draw of all time. He's worked just as hard as Rory McIlroy or Brian O'Driscoll to get where he is.

People seem to be outraged because he decided to copy Martin Cahill after the week's rumours.
    There would have been no real controversy if he chose to wear a suit and didn't look to grab attention leaving the court. But he didn't

The thing is, he's loaded since the Floyd fight and has '**** you money' now. He doesn't need to work a day in life again, worry about revenue streams or be mindful of his public image. Can you imagine Ryan Tubridy leaving a courtroom like that?!

The man doesn't give a **** at this stage and I don't see how anyone could care. Hopefully he does fight again though, it would be a shame if he wasted his talent just driving around Dublin trying to act like a gangster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Yes, have to agree that he had fallen into the trap of believing his own hype and divorced himself from reality.

I can only hope that the pub thing isn't as serious as it appears and come back to damage him in a very bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The lad is an arrogant ****er, but so what?

He's done well for himself and doesn't do any real harm. To hear some go on you'd swear he was the second coming of Jimmy Saville.

He's done well for himself and doesn't do any real harm. To hear some go on you'd swear he was the second coming of Jimmy Saville.

I see no connection with Jimmy Saville.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

Funny thing is that Jimmy Saville got next to the queen, even knighted (I think, too lazy to Google). David Icke talks about how Diana always had a 'disgusting' feeling about him.

McGregor however wouldn't even be let near sight of the Queen I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

I'm of the opinion the whole thing is an act, every bit of it.

He's very smart, but I still find him obnoxious.

As an athlete and fighter, wow. I just don't want to ****ing hear about him outside of fight week.

Come to think of it, it's not as if he didn't have a suit to wear to Court. Wasn't he voted Best Dressed Man a couple of years running in the Peter Mark Best Dressed Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I naturally dislike loudmouth, swaggering, arrogant people. Successful or not, clever or dumb - doesn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Jason Byrne was banned from driving due to motoring offenses. Recently he was up in court for driving without insurance and whilst banned. Usually that would mean an extended ban, all he got was a fine.

He turned around and said that he didn’t belong in court as he wasn’t a criminal. Scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Worst thing for me was how he parked and then just drove off at high speed after paying a speeding fine.

So he has learnt nothing and driving like that in public areas will kill somebody someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

murpho999 wrote:
    So he has learnt nothing and driving like that in public areas will kill somebody someday.

Thick people generally tend to be thick, his fall will be very public!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

There is the stereotype of your typical 'Dub' that Irish people not from there have conjured up over generations.

It's the thick accented arrogance, someone only out for themselves, with a big fish in a small pond screw you attitude which he personifies. People who generally come to dislike 'Dubs' latch onto that stereotype to dislike McGregor. Just like the stereotype, he is a caricature. Only those in our personal lives know who we are. I'm sure McGregor is a self-confident, ambitious guy and he has been successful in his arena but the caricature is what people see, the brash, cocky, insulting caricature that sells tickets and rouses attention and interest. He certainly knows how to sell himself and more power to him. He's certainly made plenty of hay while the MMA sun is shining. Like many who earn many lifetime's worth of money in the space of a few years, the path is littered with a litany of those who have gone off the rails. You don't wish that on anyone but you reap what you sow.

AMKC wrote: »
    He think he is? Just look at the way he walked up to the court today. He could not even dress decently. Is he that lazy he could not find a shirt, tie and a decent trousers. Instead he walks up in a tracksuit and white trainers that just looked terrible with it and he just looked like a gangster.
    After today there is not a hope of me ever liking him and I am ashamed that he is Irish. He is an ignorant and arrogant idiot.
    He does not deserve to have a beautiful car like the BMW i8 either. Seriously how hard would it have been to close the doors. Its a pity it was not robbed that would have thought him. I think they the guards should have took it and impounded it.
    The court should have charged him 40k not 400 euros once again the law in this country is a joke.

One rule for the rich and another for the poor.

this is the weirdest rant of all the anti-McGregor threads I've seen. I wouldn't be a fan myself buf FFS.. So you're issue is that he needs to get suited and booted, just to pay a fine? maybe he feels he shouldn't have try and dress up or present himself on any level when going to Blanchardstown, considering his bank balance. If he turned up in a suit you'd be writing a post asking who the hell he thinks he is I wager, and sure look at ming flannagan and Mick Wallace, go start a thread on those eejits actually affecting policy in the country if fashion advice is your thing.

the BMW remark also smacks of pure envy, why doesn't he deserve one??
    If being punched in the face by the quickest, strongest and most aggressive
    fighters around doesn't allow one to enjoy the spoils, then what does?? overcharging and stealing tracker mortgages??? you obviously don't like him and that's fair enough, such is your right but c'mon FFS make some sense will you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Berserker wrote: »
    Never heard of the chap.

Have you heard of Charlie Haughey?

OK well he is a bit like him, except with a beard.

Scandies do speeding fines relative to income I believe, as do the Swiss. But like a lot of Scandi stuff, that could be the road to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thick people generally tend to be thick, his fall will be very public!

I don't think he's thick.

He's just too brash and lacking any hint of class for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think he's thick.

He's just too brash and lacking any hint of class for my liking.

we probably have a completely different definition of intelligence, but thats ok to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

He think he is? Just look at the way he walked up to the court today. He could not even dress decently. Is he that lazy he could not find a shirt, tie and a decent trousers. Instead he walks up in a tracksuit and white trainers that just looked terrible with it and he just looked like a gangster.
    After today there is not a hope of me ever liking him and I am ashamed that he is Irish. He is an ignorant and arrogant idiot.
    He does not deserve to have a beautiful car like the BMW i8 either. Seriously how hard would it have been to close the doors. Its a pity it was not robbed that would have thought him. I think they the guards should have took it and impounded it.
    The court should have charged him 40k not 400 euros once again the law in this country is a joke.

This is the bit that made me laugh.

Does he lack class? Yes.

Bit too brash? Yes.

Bit too up his own arse? Definitely.

But he does work extremely hard - I'm guessing his fitness, athleticism and ability to take a slap isn't just down to good genes.

And even after all that hard work he has to climb into a ring and run the risk of serious, life changing injuries.....

.....I think MMA, UFC etc is just human cock-fighting but fair fúcks to anyone willing to climb into the ring - they deserve whatever money they earn and whatever they want to buy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Absolute state of you. :o

Of course! But that still doesn't give him the right to thumb his nose at the rest of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

His wealth doesn't mean he isn't completely thick. This is a bloke who once claimed that talent didn't exist, only lots of hard work.

I was surprised once, while Googling "Quotes", that he has pages and pages of quotes attributed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭passatman86

He’s the kind of person if he is on your side then great you’re delighted BUT if he ain’t with you and on the other team it’s hard to stomach him and anything he does won’t please you
    With his acting lately he is trying too hard , it’s like he has built up this image and he needs to be seen causing headlines , also the rumors of his powder use is beginning to seem believable,
    I supported him at the start but less so after recent events - I don’t want to see him loose fights but I don’t want to see him in the news either it’s getting embarrassing

Hammer89 wrote: »
    His wealth doesn't mean he isn't completely thick. This is a bloke who once claimed that talent didn't exist, only lots of hard work.
    Albert Einstein > Quotes > Quotable Quote
    Albert Einstein
    “Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work...”

Hi: We all know he's wrong. Einstein has had the last word on this.

LOL! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Jason Byrne was banned from driving due to motoring offenses. Recently he was up in court for driving without insurance and whilst banned. Usually that would mean an extended ban, all he got was a fine.

He turned around and said that he didn’t belong in court as he wasn’t a criminal. Scumbag.
    and he got to pay the fine to a charity, fook that how about a 5000 euro fine to be paid to MIBI who pay out for uninsured drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your contradiction is quite funny, you want one rule for the rich and one for the poor, but at the same time you complain that there's one rule for the rich and another for the poor, which isn't the case either.

PS, wtf is going on? Where's the damned links OP. FFS.

Hammer89 wrote: »

in his game you have to convince yourself and believe that to be true otherwise why work your arse off when only the "talented" win out in the end... I'm not saying I believe talent is a myth but I do get is point. It's kind of why he doesn't buy into rituals like lucky shorts and the likes, without the Feather, Dumbo may believe he cannot fly and if you believe it, then you're done for.

I really think all the "superior Talent" talk is what kept Aldo on top and allowed McGregor to beat his so easily, he simply saw a smaller slower man in his own mind and the rest is youtube history...

for the record, I think his behavior outside and as of late has been shyte!!
    he'll end up like mike Tyson in the end if he's not careful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lots of people seem to like him because of his success and money.

Really, liking and adoring someone because their only skill is beating the head off another equally deranged individual, it’s bizzare.

I find him crass, a real gouger with nothing going for him at all. I expect he’ll end up a mess, which it would seem he is well on the way to at the moment.

Signs of serious drug abuse, disregarding everyone around him, petty brawls in bars, textbook “new money” behaviour.

Do I want to see him fail ??

Actually yes, if nothing else it would make the point that this style of life is truly disgusting and leads to nothing.

I know people will say I’m just jealous it really, what’s to be jealous of ??
    He’s a horribly obnoxious grubby little man that does nothing for sport or the general Irish sporting scene, he has his new money but that’s nothing for me to be jealous of. I measure success on a completely different set of values than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

topper75 wrote: »
    Have you heard of Charlie Haughey?

OK well he is a bit like him, except with a beard.

Eh, no. Not at all like him. One was a politician, the other isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Hi: We all know he's wrong. Einstein has had the last word on this.

LOL! :D:D:D

Can't argue with that.

If anyone needs me I'll be practicing my singing for the next five years straight. With a bit of hard work and dedication I can be better than Sinatra.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement