Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm not usually a fan, but that was some top trolling yesterday. I'm not saying he's using, but if he blew his nose, the hanky would have a street value of at least a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

I think he is a shocking example for our children. I also think he is a terrible advertisement for Irish men! The i8 should have been clamped yesterday. If it had been you or I parking like that it would have been.

I also predict he will be living in a council flat within 10 years!

Oh and he looks way too much like the Notre Dame Leprechaun :)

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    According to reports he allegedly told the Judge to relax. 99 times out of 100 that would get you a week in jail for contempt of court.
    But we all venerate money don't we. And he's dripping in it. He could have turned up in the nip and nobody would have said anything to him.

I thought the reports made the judge look like a star struck idiot. Laughing and having the bantz with McGregor with his wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

He said it on Twitter. Not in court.

Judges don’t like anyone trying to upstage them, and respect for their court and office is paramount

McGregor is an uncouth brute

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He showed more respect to the court than I expected. E400 to him might as well be 4c to us. Surprised he didn't burn 40k in the court after hearing his fine was e400!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    He showed more respect to the court than I expected. E400 to him might as well be 4c to us. Surprised he didn't burn 40k in the court after hearing his fine was e400!

What did you expect him to do? Any hostility would see him held in contempt

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I think you picked up on the report wrong.
    The Judge offered him the standard option of paying in installments for if he needed to.
    McGregor said no to this.
    So this means that McGregor gets the standard "3 months to pay, 3 months in default"
    That means that if he hasn't paid the fine (in one installment) within three months then he will be liable to go to jail for three months.

The jail thing is gone. Shatter changed that

and he got to pay the fine to a charity, fook that how about a 5000 euro fine to be paid to MIBI who pay out for uninsured drivers

It wasn’t a fine then, it was a poor box payment so it won’t go on his record

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

snowflaker wrote: »
    What did you expect him to do? Any hostility would see him held in contempt
    Should have ripped up a few hundred in notes outside the court on camera ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Should have ripped up a few hundred in notes outside the court on camera ...

Not a good idea, IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

If you said 5 years ago that a Mixed Martial Arts fighter would go on to become the Republic of Ireland's most famous global sportsperson, be worth millions of dollars and even get into the ring with Floyd Mayweather, you'd be considered insane

I'm no 'fan' of his per se, as in I've never even watched a fight of his, but have to admire his rise - he has well and truly put his sport on the map - the guy is even a feckin trend setter amongst younger males. I've noticed more and more teenagers taking up the sport now also, and it's a great way to keep these guys out of trouble. The GAA/soccer isn't for everyone

I found the whole thing hilarious yesterday, the guy clearly plays up his persona yet still has so many up in arms :D . Speeding on a motorway, it's hardly a hanging offence now is it. With so much bad going on in the world, I couldn't help laughing at some lad bouncing out of a court room in a tracksuit, he's completely cracked!

Sure, I found the build up to his Mayweather fight cringeworthy but the whole thing was clearly staged anyway. Anyone actually buying into that trash talking seriously needs to get a grip. The fight itself was obviously a complete freak show, but I didn't tune in as I had no interest in it, and got on with my life.

I've no doubt he's an incredibly hard worker behind it all, and isn't half the eejit he makes himself out to be. From what I see he's a good influence on his younger Irish counterparts in the sport. He's young enough himself yet, so I'm sure he has plenty of fights ahead of him yet, and given his standing I'm sure he'll be doing his best to keep himself in the papers till then, but so be it, I've plenty of respect for what he has achieved.

I will say though that the jumping into the Octagon a few weeks back was completely out of order, and he definitely crosses the line now and again

http://https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/conor-mcgregor-is-in-a-very-dangerous-place-right-now-says-paul-williams-816369.html

'Conor McGregor is in a very dangerous place right now', says Paul Williams. Irish Examiner, this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Eyepatch wrote: »
    'Conor McGregor is in a very dangerous place right now', says Paul Williams. Irish Examiner, this evening.

I'd say Wiliams is fuming McGregor already has a nickname in The Notorious. Dear Paul loves bestowing monikers upon his fodder. I'd imagine The Gouger or something would've been in the rolodex.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Well I would certainly like to be an 'idiot' if I had 100 million in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Conor McGregor likes Conor McGregor.

Where''s his ho''s at?

I made a thread here about 4 months ago asking if people loved or hated him, before all this downward spiral stuff began, and the results were very split. Just over 500 users voted.

Love him bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gifclear.gif31.81%
    Hate him bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gifclear.gif 36.38%
    Somewhere in between bar4-l.gifbar4.gifbar4-r.gifclear.gif31.81%

I wonder if the poll was done again would the answers be much different.

I was a big fan until yesterday, when I saw his behaviour outside the Courthouse. Not anymore! He looked like an entitled, spoiled child that expected that, because of who he is, he should be above the law.

This evening, on 98FM, I heard them saying that a mother had rung in earlier, whose young son is a massive fan of McGregor. She said that, from now on, her son will not be allowed to watch McG on TV.

I think there's a massive turnaround happening re McG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh stop. I wouldn't even consider myself a McGregor fan but if yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back for you then you clearly weren't much of a fan to begin with. He was up to his usual tricks and doing what he usually does. Nothing new there. I find it gas how so many people are offended by this person by what he did yesterday and were happy enough bopping along to his rhythm for the last few years. Yesterday was nothing new and it was obvious he was totally playing up- as he always does.

For what it's worth, I thought it was gas how he rocked up to court with the music blaring. Okay he probably shouldn't have sped off but sure look. I don't have any interest in him and I don't pay much attention to anything he does- but people having conniptions over yesterday is just moronic.

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I was a big fan until yesterday, when I saw his behaviour outside the Courthouse. Not anymore! He looked like an entitled, spoiled child that expected that, because of who he is, he should be above the law.

This evening, on 98FM, I heard them saying that a mother had rung in earlier, whose young son is a massive fan of McGregor. She said that, from now on, her son will not be allowed to watch McG on TV.

I think there's a massive turnaround happening re McG.

OK sebastian, that's no more Conor for you!!, from now on you'll come straight home from speech and drama, practice the piano, study Kasparov strategy and stick to Billy barry club ok????? lets hope this "phase" hasn't cost us our opening spot on the toy show!!!

Meh no big loss....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

People think its a shame he's not an overly humble country person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I used to respect him. He's worked very hard and refused to accept failure in pursuit of a dream. I didn't like the cocky persona but took it all as just part of the marketing of a character. I have no problem overlooking unsavoury comments or over the top behaviour when performing.

But the past year has shown what a nasty little arsehole he really is. The people he has chosen to associate with in his personal life leaves a lot to be desired and his behaviour in court yesterday was disgraceful. He's under no obligation to be any sort of role model, and I wouldn't expect it of him, but his popularity and the trends he sets are actually very destructive. As a native of Neilstown and a second level teacher in a very disadvantaged area I can tell you he has a lot to answer for. Some of the comments and behaviour I witness that are directly attributable to his influence are shocking. There was always and will always be those who aspire to scumbag ideals but I have seen those who would typically be disciplined and dedicated due to sport start to copy his bullsh1t and look for shortcuts to emulate his lavish lifestyle . It's sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Your Face wrote: »
    People think its a shame he's not an overly humble country person.

Yeah I like that he doesn't give the same cliched sound bites that our other sports people give.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

He's been silly the last week all right but he's still a legend and one of the greatest Irishmen ever, his talking nonsense has made him a fortune, fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Greyfox wrote: »
    He's been silly the last week all right but he's still a legend and one of the greatest Irishmen ever, his talking nonsense has made him a fortune, fair play to him

so talking nonsense is a good thing?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so talking nonsense is a good thing?

Sure that's all any of us are doing here on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sure that's all any of us are doing here on boards!

fair point, but i do think its better to try achieve your goals honestly, with hard work and to respect others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

_Brian wrote: »
    Lots of people seem to like him because of his success and money.

Really, liking and adoring someone because their only skill is beating the head off another equally deranged individual, it’s bizzare.

I find him crass, a real gouger with nothing going for him at all. I expect he’ll end up a mess, which it would seem he is well on the way to at the moment.

Signs of serious drug abuse, disregarding everyone around him, petty brawls in bars, textbook “new money” behaviour.

Do I want to see him fail ??

Actually yes, if nothing else it would make the point that this style of life is truly disgusting and leads to nothing.

I know people will say I’m just jealous it really, what’s to be jealous of ??
    He’s a horribly obnoxious grubby little man that does nothing for sport or the general Irish sporting scene, he has his new money but that’s nothing for me to be jealous of. I measure success on a completely different set of values than that.

In fairness, he has failed before and came out of it with a great attitude IMO. He got some lashing from people after that first Diaz fight and he simply put the head down and got back in the game, only to beat him the second time around.

I'm no adoring fan, but I have a lot of respect for the man and I think he gets a lot of **** purely based on a persona he acts up on. That court stint was purely for the press and anyone who can't see that is blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I never liked mcgregor initailly.
    But it was pointed out to me that all his antics are designed to increase the 'notoriety' of the brand.
    All the sh*te wwf style talk is designed to sell fights.
    Basically his mouth is as important as his fists.
    He would never have made as much money as he has without his mouthing and guff.
    That is the route he choose to take.
    It is working for him.
    He deserves credit for making the best of himself great physique etc, focused on his craft.
    He plays the marketing game well. You also need to look at the people that are his target market teens to mid 20s and not academically inclined.
    Mcgregor is not there to make a world renowned Wolf Tone speech from the dock.

McGregor's speeches are a more succinct variety and are straight to the point, with a lot of pantomime and Americanisms

And his target market love it.
    If you go to the MMA thread you will see that this type of thing fits his target market perfectly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I used to respect him. He's worked very hard and refused to accept failure in pursuit of a dream..

In actual fact it seems he quits fairly easy when things don't go his way. He quit plumbing, signing on the dole because it was a bit ****. His pandering parents facilitated this. His oul' man admits he threw money at him endlessly.

He quit the gym for months after his first loss. Only going back after his mammy badgered John Kavanagh to coax him back.

All the 'he works really hard' stuff is fairly annoying. Millions of people get up every day, face real, genuine adversity, in horrible circumstances, work their asses to the bone, dream dreams, have goals and some even achieve them.

I get that to people who don't actually work very hard or indeed don't work at all, that he seems like a serious hard worker. But really?

And every **** thing he does is 'marketing genius'. Give us a break.

He got really, really lucky with some work, or even lots of work. Lots of people work hard simply to stay alive, look after kids, do good things. A decent person would be thankful.

I agree he is a shocking role model for kids, whether he cares or not is irrelevant. He exists and they idolise him. It really is a shìtty thing. He's always been a spoiled brat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's his tongue more than his antics that tips him over into scumbag territory for me. The sheer delight he takes in verbally smashing opponents before fights says it all. I know it's all to sell tickets but for a majority of MMA fighters and boxers, that side of the game is a sideshow they have to endure before they get to the real business. Most of them have a core decency that makes them no good at it. Mcgregor absolutely grows in stature when he's belittling people.

He really comes across as a prize prick who does a good job of appearing to be a decent skin most of the time. But sometimes the mask slips, like at court recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement