Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Berserker wrote: »
    Never heard of the chap.

Scottish chap, was in Star Wars and Trainspotting, bit **** alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Agricola wrote: »
    If a noted drug dealer arrived to a court summons for speeding in a 150 grand sports car, which he proceeded to abandon in the road before going in to make a mockery of the fine and then departing at high speed in a hoody like Martin Cahill, people would rightly call that guy a right fúckíng sore on the arsé of society.

To be fair, there's a huge difference between a man who's earned his money within the confines of the law and one who hasn't.

McGregor's behaviour here was awful, but of course people are going to judge a career criminal differently to a national sporting hero, even if they're on trial for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

DaithiMa wrote: »
    He obviously forgot about his heinous crimes against comedy.

Dunno what the references to comedy mean, but he has been one of the LoI's top strikers for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So one minute you are saying that we should all aspire to being good role models to young people in our lives and then the next minute you are jumping up and down with glee in the hope that McGregor gets shot:-

Hmmm, pot meet kettle

Muahahaha - Maybe you need to learn to read - or just get a life. Any more along these lines wiill receive the Report Button.

Or are you going to give the Idiots' answer that it is just a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Muahahaha - Maybe you need to learn to read - or just get a life. Any more along these lines wiill receive the Report Button.

Or are you going to give the Idiots' answer that it is just a joke?

Report away kiddo- youre the one on here giving out about McGregor not being a role model for children and then 2 minutes later you are publicly calling for him to be shot or injured so bad his career is over.

Wishing anyone to be shot dead is disgusting language and I called you out on it. They were your words so man up and deal with it.

• Advertisement

Why do you contradict yourself here? The judge imposed a normal fine as anyone would get in this situation.

Some countries like Finland impose fines based on income. Might have softened his cough a little. He behaved like an arrogant d*ck IMO.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Eyepatch wrote: »
    God forbid that anyone should attempt to kill McG. The thought comes to me that even a minor injury by shooting would put his career at an end. Hoping and praying that I'm not sowing a seed of distruction with that thought!

Jaysus. :eek: The modern celebrity obsession swings both ways. From adulation to death wish (in this case)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

MysticMonk wrote: »
    You're just sick because no culchie has ever achieved sporting megastardom unless you count Stephen Roche on his bicycle 30 years ago...or yer one with the red hair whose piss was full of whiskey.

Michelle De Bruin from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

His rise has been amazing to witness. His striking has been phenomenal and his promotion and money making skills have been off the chart. His pressers have been hilarious, other nationalities don't take the pi#s like we do in Ireland (like it or not) and when he unloads abuse on opponents resulting in an audience in tears laughing, the owner of the company laughing and a rattled opponent.
    Two highlights of this:
    Red panty night :the presser where he hilariously destroyed everyone in every division and secured his multi million future earnings.

Mendes midget incident : classic put down, Mendes had a routine ready and rehearsed to highlight mcgregors wrestling deficiency and conor in about 6 words had the audience and the presenter in stitches laughing to the extent that nobody listened to what Mendes had to say.

I hated all the mayweather promotion it lacked the comedy to he honest. I thought he made mayweather look like a gentleman most of the time which is an achievement.

The recent Crap is not something I enjoy. There's opponents ready and waiting for him and he's also holding up the division.
    So yeah I liked him and I hope he drops the hangers on and gets back to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I wonder how many failed GAA "stars" are commenting on this thread :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Its all publicity, anyway he's scared to fight Ferguson or nurmagemedov . Would be a shame if he got exposed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

His rise has been amazing to witness. His striking has been phenomenal and his promotion and money making skills have been off the chart. His pressers have been hilarious, other nationalities don't take the pi#s like we do in Ireland (like it or not) and when he unloads abuse on opponents resulting in an audience in tears laughing, the owner of the company laughing and a rattled opponent.
    Two highlights of this:
    Red panty night :the presser where he hilariously destroyed everyone in every division and secured his multi million future earnings.

Mendes midget incident : classic put down, Mendes had a routine ready and rehearsed to highlight mcgregors wrestling deficiency and conor in about 6 words had the audience and the presenter in stitches laughing to the extent that nobody listened to what Mendes had to say.

I hated all the mayweather promotion it lacked the comedy to he honest. I thought he made mayweather look like a gentleman most of the time which is an achievement.

The recent Crap is not something I enjoy. There's opponents ready and waiting for him and he's also holding up the division.
    So yeah I liked him and I hope he drops the hangers on and gets back to work.

I don't really believe he's all that genius though I think he was the right idiot in the right place at the right time - yeah he was smart to recognise it and capitalise on it and he has the skills in the ring to get him there but its not all as calculated as people give him credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's probably the reason why he chooses to live in the US and not back home in the Republic of Begrudgery.

Oh why oh why can't he be like that nice, quiet, God-fearing Katie Taylor...

He doesn't live in the US, he lives in Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

If i earned that much money i would prob go on the rampage too.
    He could work a bit harder on how he carries himself.In the ring or out of the ring we are getting entertained either way.

that nightclub video doing the rounds tells me all I need to know about him.

it's all going come crashing down and when it does it won't be a surprise.

what's the content of that video?

nelly17 wrote: »
    I don't really believe he's all that genius though I think he was the right idiot in the right place at the right time - yeah he was smart to recognise it and capitalise on it and he has the skills in the ring to get him there but its not all as calculated as people give him credit for.

That's a lot of hindsight there. If he was smart enough to recognise something and capitalise on it he's hardly an idiot... The room was filled with fighters and he was the only one pushing forward.

His pressers have been hilarious, other nationalities don't take the pi#s like we do in Ireland (like it or not) and when he unloads abuse on opponents resulting in an audience in tears laughing, the owner of the company laughing and a rattled opponent.
    Two highlights of this:

Could you link any of the funny clips?

I'm curious as I've just heard insults and abuse and it's been depressingly low brow. I'd like to hear what passes for wit and humour in the world of MMA.

Could you link any of the funny clips?

I'm curious as I've just heard insults and abuse and it's been depressingly low brow. I'd like to hear what passes for wit and humour in the world of MMA.
    No

No

No links? Anywhere?

I'm all up for displays of brilliant humour. You have spoken of these in awed tones, set a scene with whole audiences dissolved in tears of laughter. It seems a shame that these moments were lost. Could you describe what the humour was like, any particularly memorable ripostes? Thanks.

No links? Anywhere?

I'm all up for displays of brilliant humour. You have spoken of these in awed tones, set a scene with whole audiences dissolved in tears of laughter. It seems a shame that these moments were lost. Could you describe what the humour was like, any particularly memorable ripostes? Thanks.

But you were not one of those audience and obviously will never be... So go Google it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No links? Anywhere?

You sound like you're great fun

Yeah it's like saying "tell me more about this Billy Connolly that you say is funny.... Tell me one of his jokes and I'll decide if he's funny or not"

You sound touchy.

Thread isn't about me. By all means private message me your musings about me. Thread is about Conor McGregor.

Now a poster has put his wit and brilliant humour up for analysis...but can't find one example. And I think that's a pity.

Yeah it's like saying "tell me more about this Billy Connolly that you say is funny.... Tell me one of his jokes and I'll decide if he's funny or not"

Are you saying you couldn't link anything to back the proposition that Billy Connolly is funny?

The internet is crammed with clips of great Connolly jokes and routines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVusEy0FpHk

Exhibit A. Funny as f***!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are you saying you couldn't link anything to back the proposition that Billy Connolly is funny?

The internet is crammed with clips of great Connolly jokes and routines.

Really? I find him depressingly low brow and unfunny to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

But you were not one of those audience and obviously will never be... So go Google it yourself
    To be fair, it's not that unusual here for some to make any sort of assertion and to then be asked to back it up with links to support their argument.

If you know where the funny clips are (I'm not saying there aren't any, I neither know nor care), back yourself and post the links.

Seriously though, he is irking me as much as the next person lately but good luck to him on his succcess and fortune. Starting a thread about him im not so sure about to be honest. At the end of the day what difference will it make? Man will still be a multimillionaire this time next year and he doesnt give a fúck what anonymous nobodies think of him. Why should he?

Eponymous wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not that unusual here for some to make any sort of assertion and to then be asked to back it up with links to support their argument.

If you know where the funny clips are (I'm not saying there aren't any, I neither know nor care), back yourself and post the links.

I gave examples of how he used his wit to make people laugh and further his career. Look them up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't think he's overly funny or witty. He's brash and braggadocious which is kind of his appeal, you don't at many Irish people like that. The world wide press tour that he and Mayweather did exposed him as just a loud mouth I thought. Mostly it was just him cursing and shouting, nothing outstandingly witty. He said one funny thing in Toronto when Floyd had a backpack full of money on him and Conor said "you owe that to the IRS.... and why's he got a schools bag on, he can't even read". That was decent but mostly it was just f*ck you and f*ck this person oh and also f*ck this other particular person. Very overrated on the mic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement