Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Greyfox wrote: »
    He's been silly the last week all right but he's still a legend and one of the greatest Irishmen ever, his talking nonsense has made him a fortune, fair play to him

This is the type of thing that is said on the MMA thread.. :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agricola wrote: »
    It's his tongue more than his antics that tips him over into scumbag territory for me. The sheer delight he takes in verbally smashing opponents before fights says it all. I know it's all to sell tickets but for a majority of MMA fighters and boxers, that side of the game is a sideshow they have to endure before they get to the real business. Most of them have a core decency that makes them no good at it. Mcgregor absolutely grows in stature when he's belittling people.

He really comes across as a prize prick who does a good job of appearing to be a decent skin most of the time. But sometimes the mask slips, like at court recently.

By doing his court antics that will earn him more money.
    Simply playing to the gallery the world he is in.

He is not a Rugby player from Blackrock for example, this is how he has to behave so the simpletons will spend more money. Free advertisement on the news, great. Job done.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Out of interest did he get any penalty points for this offense?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

that nightclub video doing the rounds tells me all I need to know about him.

it's all going come crashing down and when it does it won't be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He's been silly the last week all right but he's still a legend and one of the greatest Irishmen ever, his talking nonsense has made him a fortune, fair play to him

I disagree with all the hate he gets,but one of the greatest Irishmen ever? You must be at the wind up.

As for the role model thing other people are on about, I think the entire notion of seeing anyone in the public eye as a role model is flawed. There's nothing wrong with seeing a good trait in someone, and thinking "yeah, I'd like to be like that too". But individual people shouldn't be looked upon as ideals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Personally I licken mma to American wrestling as far as sport goes so no fan at all,is it even real?but the thing is no one is questioning that judges role in this fiasco.adjourning the case twice get him to my court at once,all for a 400 quid minor charge.the man sent a solicitor on his behalf why is that not enough.seems to me it's the judge is craving the limelight I actually really admire his contempt of court and have become a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You'd swear his is the only rags to riches story in the history of sport with the frequency his assent is refered to.

And how does being on the dole in Ireland compare to say the background of the majority of African footballers managing to make it in the game in Europe, or a sizeable proportion of black American footballers from the projects? Or indeed Jose Aldo, who came from poverty in Brazil (for which Conor made aa point to demean him about) to make it in the UFC himself, and appears a lot more humble and down to earth in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Personally I licken mma to American wrestling as far as sport goes so no fan at all,is it even real?but the thing is no one is questioning that judges role in this fiasco.adjourning the case twice get him to my court at once,all for a 400 quid minor charge.the man sent a solicitor on his behalf why is that not enough.seems to me it's the judge is craving the limelight I actually really admire his contempt of court and have become a fan

I think the Judge was correct in expecting him to turn up in person. Sending a solicitor to represent him, is sloughing off responsibilty for what he has done. He's not likely to learn anything from that. If he got a prison sentence, would he expect somebody to do it for him? He has to realise that, like any other "Ordinary Joe Soap", he has to toe the line, when it comes to the Law. Bank directors and other wealthy people have appeared in Court and did not rely on others to represent them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

it's all going come crashing down and when it does it won't be a surprise.

He's worth €100m at the moment. It'd take a monumental mess up to blow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LOL. Way way down the list. With greatness comes responsibility, neither of which he has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I think the Judge was correct in expecting him to turn up in person. Sending a solicitor to represent him, is sloughing off responsibilty for what he has done. He's not likely to learn anything from that. If he got a prison sentence, would he expect somebody to do it for him? He has to realise that, like any other "Ordinary Joe Soap", he has to toe the line, when it comes to the Law. Bank directors and other wealthy people have appeared in Court and did not rely on others to represent them.

Yes I fully agree with you but there are hundreds of unexaquited bench warrants out for people for many months if not longer on much more serious charges,yet this woman demands he attends in person.i think he was fully justified in taking the wee wee out of the whole situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Eyepatch wrote: »

People send solicitors to court all.the.time for road traffic offences. It's pretty standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

People send solicitors to court all.the.time for road traffic offences. It's pretty standard.

If you are disputing any part you are required to attend

Away with ye. If making a fortune makes you a great Irishman then there are countless other people ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Berserker wrote: »
    He's worth €100m at the moment. It'd take a monumental mess up to blow that.

it's not the money I'm talking about

not every multi millionaire has the perfect life. surely ye know that much

it's not the money I'm talking about

not every multi millionaire has the perfect life. surely ye know that much

Ah I do. You can't buy happiness and contentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭DaithiMa

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Jason Byrne was banned from driving due to motoring offenses. Recently he was up in court for driving without insurance and whilst banned. Usually that would mean an extended ban, all he got was a fine.

He turned around and said that he didn’t belong in court as he wasn’t a criminal. Scumbag.

He obviously forgot about his heinous crimes against comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Would you still think it gas if McGregor had knocked down a relative of yours when he was caught speeding at 150km?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

This country, especially Dublin, has always produced a strain of superficial, uber-confident characters who don't quite have the charm to be fully likeable and instead come across as slightly grating gob****es, McGregor is one of these.

These type of people are especially more prevalent since the 1990's and the economic catch up with the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Mac is getting an awful bashing, he has made some bad choices lately, but who hasn't at his age? can't imagine with the almost instant fame and cash added on

he just needs a good kick up the hole at the moment

as I do firmly believe he is a good guy underneath the bravado and bullsh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

dd972 wrote: »
    This country, especially Dublin, has always produced a strain of superficial, uber-confident characters who don't quite have the charm to be fully likeable and instead come across as slightly grating gob****es, McGregor is one of these.

These type of people are especially more prevalent since the 1990's and the economic catch up with the rest of Europe.

Ah yeah sure 99% of us Dubs are like McGregor, or worse......

https://www.joe.ie/news/conor-mcgregor-court-dublin-608117

Conor McGregor says “come and get me” as he drives away from court in Dublin - JOE.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Have to him admire really, a working class man making serious scrilla.

The Kinahans won't kill him, they'll just extort a large figure from him to pay for his trespass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What amusing is that the fanboy territory in which he now operates is now like Michael O' Leary.

Every transgression is now not perhaps somebody dealing with fame and wealth extremely crassly, but instead is some type of genius marketing scam.

Similar to MOL, the fact that the business might just be successful despite the terrible publicity rather than because of it although cracks seem to have appeared in that narrative of late.

And as for the breathless Working Class narrative around CMG, that he's somehow soocking to the establishment with his uncouth pimp shenanigans when there is plenty of working class people who have made good of themselves, even if that just means being decent people and citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I always wonder do the people on here saying he is a bad role model for their kids seriously sit down with their kids pointing out celebrities telling them that their kids should emulate them?

It always seems to come up in these threads, he is a bad role model, etc. Unless McGregor is getting paid by parents to be a role model for their kids I doubt he gives two fcuks.

God forbid that anyone should attempt to kill McG. The thought comes to me that even a minor injury by shooting would put his career at an end. Hoping and praying that I'm not sowing a seed of distruction with that thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I always wonder do the people on here saying he is a bad role model for their kids seriously sit down with their kids pointing out celebrities telling them that their kids should emulate them?

It always seems to come up in these threads, he is a bad role model, etc. Unless McGregor is getting paid by parents to be a role model for their kids I doubt he gives two fcuks.

I too sometimes laugh at the role model thing too. That said, would anybody here with young boys genuinely like it if they thought CMG was someone worthy of imitation? Not so much the sport, application and the talent but just all that corny fcuking wannabe gangsta hyperbole.

I don't think it's a question of being paid to be a good role model. We either are or we aren't.

Do we not all aspire to be good role models to young people in our lives, rather than the opposite. We would find it very difficult to go through life steering a neurtral course between these two. It's either one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

_Brian wrote: »
    Lots of people seem to like him because of his success and money.

Really, liking and adoring someone because their only skill is beating the head off another equally deranged individual, it’s bizzare.

I find him crass, a real gouger with nothing going for him at all. I expect he’ll end up a mess, which it would seem he is well on the way to at the moment.

Signs of serious drug abuse, disregarding everyone around him, petty brawls in bars, textbook “new money” behaviour.

Do I want to see him fail ??

Actually yes, if nothing else it would make the point that this style of life is truly disgusting and leads to nothing.

I know people will say I’m just jealous it really, what’s to be jealous of ??
    He’s a horribly obnoxious grubby little man that does nothing for sport or the general Irish sporting scene, he has his new money but that’s nothing for me to be jealous of. I measure success on a completely different set of values than that.

When you said the word grubby I pictured a pinch-faced granny. Down with that sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Kids shouldn't be watching mma full stop.

Bad parenting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement