Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Conor McGregor Thread

Options

Comments

I find the put on accent to be hilarious to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't think he's overly funny or witty. He's brash and braggadocious which is kind of his appeal, you don't at many Irish people like that. The world wide press tour that he and Mayweather did exposed him as just a loud mouth I thought. Mostly it was just him cursing and shouting, nothing outstandingly witty. He said one funny thing in Toronto when Floyd had a backpack full of money on him and Conor said "you owe that to the IRS.... and why's he got a schools bag on, he can't even read". That was decent but mostly it was just f*ck you and f*ck this person oh and also f*ck this other particular person. Very overrated on the mic.
    As I said in my post I felt disgusted at the mayweather pressers. I was embarrassed. I felt that previously Id get a few good laughs at his pressers but since mayweather I've actually lost interest. It's not entertaining anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I find the put on accent to be hilarious to be honest..

It's his Dublin accent slowed down and adjusted to make him understandable to a worldwide audience. Anyone with a strong accent has to adjust it to make themselves understood in America.

Regarding him being funny? It's all trash talk in the industry, but he has his moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wn99sp4Tc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

It's all an act with him. He planned exactly what he did Today in my opinion to get more attention.
    You think you're clever saying that. If it were all about attention, I could just strip naked and walk down Grafton street.

He's clearly changed since the Mayweather fight. He's gotten carried away with the drugs. I don't think he'll be having a UFC fight anytime soon.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's his Dublin accent slowed down and adjusted to make him understandable to a worldwide audience. Anyone with a strong accent has to adjust it to make themselves understood in America.

Regarding him being funny? It's all trash talk in the industry, but he has his moments.

I think there's a difference between being funny and jeering at someone..
    If you find that funny we're probably not going to agree on much anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You've circled in on it, there is a difference between trash talk and comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Not one bit funny, he comes across as an arrogant bully in that video, i would rather Nate was from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Boom_Bap wrote: »

They don't have to be distinct. Trash talk can be funny, and unfortunately for the person being insulted, someone being insulted can be funny also.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ush1 wrote: »
    They don't have to be distinct. Trash talk can be funny, and unfortunately for the person being insulted, someone being insulted can be funny also.

oh I'm not saying trash talk can't be funny, and that's where Conors niche is. But comparing his trash talk to Billy Connolly is like comparing water to space stations.

That may be the case, but trash talk can be funny. Lots of things that are different to comedy can be funny.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    Not one bit funny

That's a matter of opinion really.

• Advertisement

oh I'm not saying trash talk can't be funny, and that's where Conors niche is. But comparing his trash talk to Billy Connolly is like comparing water to space stations.

I don't think anybody compared anyone to anyone...

if you're referring to me I used an example to highlight the subjectivity of comedy, and you've taken it at face value.

i'll make it easier for you. Nearly every comedian has an analogy about being in a serious situation such as passport control when they are asked their occupation....they say "comedian" and the guard will retort "oh really ...tell me a joke then" and 9 times out of 10 the professional comedian will tell the joke to a blank face...in this case I referred to moments that pushed connor into the mega money and I said they were funny, then you get some goon here looking for links so he can decide it's not funny...

I think there's a difference between being funny and jeering at someone..
    If you find that funny we're probably not going to agree on much anyway..

I've looked back at your previous posts. I see you're a bit obsessed with Conor McGregor and have multiple posts about him and his life and seem to have your mind made up about him!! I think if he cracked the best joke in the world you'd be unimpressed.

I though the "Nate can only count to five" was a funny dig!

Anyway. Carry on posting about your celebrity obsession.

I don't think anybody compared anyone to anyone...

if you're referring to me I used an example to highlight the subjectivity of comedy, and you've taken it at face value.

i'll make it easier for you. Nearly every comedian has an analogy about being in a serious situation such as passport control when they are asked their occupation....they say "comedian" and the guard will retort "oh really ...tell me a joke then" and 9 times out of 10 the professional comedian will tell the joke to a blank face...in this case I referred to moments that pushed connor into the mega money and I said they were funny, then you get some goon here looking for links so he can decide it's not funny...

no need to make it easier for me there, I see where you are coming from. I'm merely establishing, much like yourself that someone who says that they cant find humour in the musings of McGregor who are specifically looking for comedy are not going to find it. It's funny trash talk that goes with the sport.

I've looked back at your previous posts. I see you're a bit obsessed with Conor McGregor and have multiple posts about him and his life and seem to have your mind made up about him!! I think if he cracked the best joke in the world you'd be unimpressed.

I though the "Nate can only count to five" was a funny dig!

Anyway. Carry on posting about your celebrity obsession.

This is kind of true..id forgotten about him until the mayweather fight, but that drew me back in a bit..
    I'm interested in him as a cultural phenomenon..the kind of blind devotion he evokes in grown men, just seemed weird to me..I also kind of see him as being symptomatic of how society is degenerating, and as an interesting study as to the power of 'the secret'..
    But I think he's a knacker thug..not someone to be held up as a symbol to which to aspire to..

This is kind of true..id forgotten about him until the mayweather fight, but that drew me back in a bit..
    I'm interested in him as a cultural phenomenon..the kind of blind devotion he evokes in grown men, just seemed weird to me..I also kind of see him as being symptomatic of how society is degenerating, and as an interesting study as to the power of 'the secret'..
    But I think he's a knacker thug..not someone to be held up as a symbol to which to aspire to..

Okaaaay. Knock yourself out! But, I'd advice you to study something that you like. Not something that brings out so much anger and negative, obsessive passion.

Okaaaay. Knock yourself out! But, I'd advice you to study something that you like. Not something that brings out so much anger and negative, obsessive passion.

I find it funny..I'm only taking the p1ss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm a mcgregor fan boy , nut hugger act, but Jesus I've never once found him funny I cringe through all his press confrences ect. He's just not funny, What I love is his fighting style and his rapid rise to superstardom is inspiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ya....like working hard and reaching the top in what you set out too...is somehow not to aspired to?

You can admire what hes achieved,without supporting his carryon/persona in the buildup to fights?

Ya....like working hard and reaching the top in what you set out too...is somehow not to aspired to?

You can admire what hes achieved,without supporting his carryon/persona in the buildup to fights?

So just because he's good at fighting, we should overlook the fact he's a knacker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

AMKC wrote: »
    He think he is? Just look at the way he walked up to the court today. He could not even dress decently. Is he that lazy he could not find a shirt, tie and a decent trousers. Instead he walks up in a tracksuit and white trainers that just looked terrible with it and he just looked like a gangster.
    After today there is not a hope of me ever liking him and I am ashamed that he is Irish. He is an ignorant and arrogant idiot.
    He does not deserve to have a beautiful car like the BMW i8 either. Seriously how hard would it have been to close the doors. Its a pity it was not robbed that would have thought him. I think they the guards should have took it and impounded it.
    The court should have charged him 40k not 400 euros once again the law in this country is a joke.

One rule for the rich and another for the poor.

He probably doesn't like you either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

So just because he's good at fighting, we should overlook the fact he's a knacker?

Didn't say that kid....but I don't see how his persona should take away from what he's achieved.....

strikes me as begruding trying to find any reason to run down someone's achievements??

He's literally done no harm to anyone innocent....the country is full of people that run themselves down or others that will....

he's something different....self confident and has ability to back up his words....pure pikey like...but what harm?

I think he's more of a wannabe knacker than an actual knacker

I think he's more of a wannabe knacker than an actual knacker

Thats even worse..

Didn't say that kid....but I don't see how his persona should take away from what he's achieved.....

strikes me as begruding trying to find any reason to run down someone's achievements??

It's absolutely phenomenal what he's achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He made his millions through hard work and determination and he's a talented MMA fighter.

Fair enough if people don't like the guy for the way he acts outside the ring but he earned his money the hard way compared to someone like that fur wearing no talent geebag K Kardashian who is only famous because someone released a video of her giving a BJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He made his millions through hard work and determination and he's a talented MMA fighter.

Fair enough if people don't like the guy for the way he acts outside the ring but he earned his money the hard way compared to someone like that fur wearing no talent geebag K Kardashian who is only famous because someone released a video of her giving a BJ.

money money money, there is more to life than money you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Dude is funny af. Bow down to your king. The most famous Irish person ever is a ballin' zero ****s giving lad from Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

You know, its possible to appreciate who he is as a fighter and enjoy his persona as a promoter while also acknowledging he's a skanger eejit who needs to cop himself on sometimes.

End of the day, he's a generationally good fighter and arguably our most talented athlete ever given that he's the only UFC fighter to ever hold two belts simultaneously and he's embarrassed the likes of Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez and beaten Max Holloway on one leg. The man can also sell a fight like nobody else. There's a reason that in any city in the world when he fights, you can bet the local Irish pub will probably have a lock in and be rammed out the door at all hours in the morning.

At the same time, he acts like such a total knacker it grates. He needs another UFC fight basically because this reality tv star level drama is getting old and it's been too long since people seen the best of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Jaysus, would you look who dropped into The Black Forge earlier tonight.

nintchdbpict000370991806-e1512422435448.jpg?strip=all&w=960

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jaysus, would you look who dropped into The Black Forge earlier tonight.

nintchdbpict000370991806-e1512422435448.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Now that is inspirational. She's an absolute stunner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement